Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

I love these two. :3:

Mushika posted:

What is "wheelie tail" if you don't mind me asking?

Rats get a "curled" tail if they run in a small wheel for too long. Something like this:

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Please enjoy this big rat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I love these two idiots.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
One of my boys' fur is rusting for some reason, he used to be pure black and now his whole rear end is rusty brown and he's only like, 6 months old.
Both of my boys are total weirdo rats.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Boys doing an explore for the first time.

Having a monch on the grass, twigs and a shoe.

EDIT: Also in the last picture you can see my weirdo rat with his weirdo fur. He was completely coal black when he was a baby, and now he's not only silvered but some of his fur is starting to rust even though he's not even a year old, I don't know what's up with that. Weirdo rats.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 7, 2020

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Never forget.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

ThreeStep posted:

After weeks of access to to the desk during free roam, the rats have suddenly developed a disturbingly strong attraction to my computer cables. If I'm not watching them, they're usually trying to taste the forbidden licorice. Time to rearrange things and block off my computer until I can order some cord protectors.

You should be glad that you have the opportunity to fix this before any forbidden licorice was tasted. My first rats chewed through every single PC cable I had, power, monitor, all usb cables, sound system, etc.
Rats are rascals.

That's why they're now jailed for rat crimes

Not really, they still get to free roam all the time

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

I love these two assholes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

We were doing an explore.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

ThreeStep posted:

Don't think they're swallowing any of it, but I've been keeping an eye just in case. Just didn't think their teeth were that sharp but every time I think that they find a new way to surprise me.

Rat teeth are in fact harder than steel. :eng101:

They also have the strength to chew through bricks if they wanted to.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Good baby. :3

Meanwhile here's one of my assholes digging up potted plants.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

A couple of pancakes for the road.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Rat orb. :kimchi:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Outside "play"time

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

clockwork chaos posted:

Peaches is gettin' chonky, but I love her she's so fluffy

Beans continues to be an amazing model

Great kids. :kimchi:

This is Coffee, he's a very good boy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Pancake is the best mood.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Animal-Mother posted:

This lady is 3 years old.

She's a cutie. :kimchi:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

snoo posted:

two weeks since moxidectin treatment and peaches' scabs are almost fully healed. she has a couple small patches of missing fur but hopefully it'll grow back soon. gotta keep those nails trimmed too.

I have to give her treats and have my wife hold her so I can examine the spots

Very good ratblob. :kimchi:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

I feel personally attacked.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Have two sleepy rat idiots:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Good kids. :3:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
One of my boys got a severe bout of pneumonia, probably myco. I took him to the vet and he's stabilized now. The issue is though, I have to give him a combined 3ml of medication every day and trying to have him take it is driving me up the wall.

He's too spry for syringing it directly into his mouth, clawing my hands to shreds if I try to do it. It works but I really don't want to stress an already sick rat like that unless it's the last resort.
He also refusing to take the meds no matter what I mix them with, and the meds themselves aren't even bad tasting. I've tried all kinds of foods rear end a mixer and he just eats a little bit of it and then refuses to touch it anymore even if it's something delicious.
I'm going crazy over here. Do y'all have any tips?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Thanks, I'll try your suggestions.

Right now I'm testing the strategy of "its me, you and some liver paste on this couch and neither of us is leaving until the paste with meds in it is gone" and he is taking it but only in small bites every few minutes so maybe he's not being a huge bastard but actually has problems swallowing or something.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Here's the rat tax btw:

He was a pretty good boy at the vet, other than really not wanting to stay still for the xray.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
oh my god

OH MY loving GOD

I figured out what was the issue. why he was eating the meds so consistently inconsistent. Offering it to him in a large chunk on my fingers won't do it, he refuses, but if I smear it thinly then he'll eat it all no problems.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Best thing about rats: They are incredibly smart and all have unique personalities.
Worst thing about rats: They are incredibly smart and all have unique personalities.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I tried all the suggestions for giving my boys meds, including the ice cream, and it kind of works for a little while and then he just starts pushing away my finger and wiping his mouth on the floor, even though the medicine is
1. tasty in itself
2. liquid
3. thoroughly mixed with a nice treat

So I don't what the gently caress.
Splitting the medicine into 2-3 batches and mixing each batch with it's own treat seems to work so far.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I solved the medicine issue with mashed banana. Although the banana has to be mashed thoroughly because the little rear end in a top hat with pluck out the chunks and throw them everywhere.

The boy is getting better now. He's being very energetic again.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Naughty boys that don't take their medicine get the burrito.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I have never heard of rats eating plastic but I guess if there's plastic in their poop then there's no question about it.
Are you sure there's no problems with them? I've heard of some animals, rats included, eating sand and earth when they have stomach issues, to lower the ph levels in their guts. Maybe they're trying to do the same?

EDIT: for the record, I've had rats chew all kinds of plastic stuff but I would always find piles of chewed plastic next to the thing and never in their poop.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
It best not to ask. Rat does as rat wants.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Look at this smug mr fancypaws.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Good faces. :kimchi:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
My little assholes are too cute.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Animal-Mother posted:

Antimony is three and a half years old. She went blind. She's got some health issues and is probably not long for this world.

Cute old lady. :kimchi:
3.5 years is a long time for a rat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Wrap the rat in a blanket like a burrito. Makes it easier to hold and also makes less likely to struggle in the first place.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Aww, good work lil ratty.