Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Sorry, I know this question probably gets asked all the time, but I'm wondering about cage sizes. I've been shopping around lately because I've been interested in getting myself a nice little group of fuzzy roommates. I looked at the Martin cages linked in the OP, but I'm still not really confident on just what the minimum size for a rat-livable cage ought to be.

I found a (what seems to me) like a really nice one in a pet store, but I'm not really sure it's big enough. It's got two levels of 60cm by 40cm, plus two full-width wood platforms of about half again that each, so about 180cm by 40cm total (about 70 by 16 inches), with combined height of about a meter. Is that enough? If so, how many rats could I fit into there without running into problems? I don't really want to get less than 3 because they need social contact so much, but I also don't really have the money to get anything substantially bigger.

I'm hoping someone can help me out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Pew! Pew! posted:

Have you tried the rat cage calculator? http://www.rattycorner.com/odds/calc.shtml

Generally speaking though, each adult rat needs something like two cubic feet of livable space. With rats I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as "too much" cage space though, so bigger is always better.
No, I hadn't tried that. Thanks! Ratty calculator says up to 4, so that's good news already.

Fraction posted:

What's the exact measurements for height/depth/width of the cage overall?
60 by 40 by 100 centimeters, with two levels plus two wooden inlays as I described it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hooray, I finally did it! :haw: Three days ago I finally went to the animal shelter and got myself two little rat dudes!

Here they are:

The sleepy hooded guy in the front is Harald, whitey in the back is Erik. They're the greatest, super social and curious and they get along great with each other. They kinda picked me instead of the other way around; when I opened their cage at the shelter, they came straight for me and started sniffing and nibbling me and climbing up my arms. I didn't really want an albino because of the health issues, but after a reception like that I just couldn't say no.

They've settled in really well and are already climbing all over me and exploring the place. I forgot to turn off the camera noise for that picture so I startled them awake, but right afterwards Harald started boggling at me so I know it's all good. :)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm honestly amazed by how quickly my rats are socializing, it's really great. I've had them for less than a week now and they're already down with the butt scratchings and the belly scratchings :3: Harald is already getting pretty good about being picked up, he doesn't seem to enjoy it but he doesn't get stressed out and flee into a hidey hole afterwards either.

Eric isn't really down with this whole photography thing yet:

Harald, on the other hand, just can't be arsed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh for crap's sake, I think my hooded boy has a tumor. :( I just felt under his left front leg and there's a pretty good-sized lump there, now I'm really worried. I was by the vet only today, too! This isn't going to be a fun weekend.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Man, am I relieved. No tumor, just an abscess. Antibiotics for a week and a nice warm bath when it pops. So sorry for you guys who weren't that lucky. :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Do rats eat nylon stockings? I just bought a huge new cage for my guys so they'll have more space to do their thing while I'm at college, but they seem to have problems moving up and down between levels because the boards are too smooth. I'm thinking of buying a pair of stockings and tying it over them so the rats will have more grip.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you want to do him a favour, get another rat. They really don't do well alone.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Have you considered adopting one from a shelter? That's what I did, they usually don't take more than a token fee.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Human contact helps, but from everything I've read it's just not a replacement for another individual of the same species. Having owned a pair of rats for a few weeks now and seeing just how much time they spend socializing, grooming, wrestling and cuddling with each other I kind of see why.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Seriously. They're nearly as big as their heads. How do people overlook something like that?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They might not know where the rest of you went, but they can still see your feet.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Big Bug Hug posted:

What makes you think it was murder? If you found one dead and partially dismembered, chances are the damage was done post mortem. Rats will "clean up" the corpses of their cagemates - its an instinct to avoid drawing predators. What I'm saying is your rats might be cannibals but they probably didn't commit the actual crime. Especially if they normally get along well - like you said, there was no motive.
I knew about this beforehand because I read Terry Pratchett (:downs:) but God do I hope I never wake up to see something like that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I hope you had more than one before, otherwise that's really unsettling.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's always something with these guys... Now that I've treated the abscess and the diarrhea, one of my guys is scratching and biting himself bloody on his flanks. I can't get to a vet before Tuesday, is there anything at all I can do in the meantime to make him stop?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Invalid Octopus posted:

Sounds like it might be mites. You can treat that in-home, and there's a guide in the OP.
The problem is that I can't, because that Ivermectin stuff and antibiotics in general are a prescription med here and I can't find anyone to give me a script before then. I can probably get some baby or pet shampoo ad the drugstore, would washing them with that at least help with the itching?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fraction posted:

You can get mite spray for rodents at most pet shops, that'd help more than shampoo. Can you not order some ivermectin online?
Not legally, at any rate, and even if I did it probably wouldn't arrive sooner than the appointment at the vet. I'll see if I can get some mite spray today though, thanks for the suggestion.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No good, you can't get any of that stuff here in Germany except from a pharmacy. Guess the poor guys will have to wait until Monday one way or another.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

My white guy also does the head swaying thing a lot, but it doesn't seem to keep him from running around and doing his thing. At least he doesn't give the impression of being any less active than his buddy to me.

A small question: are running wheels a good thing to give to rats? I'm a student in a small flat and don't currently have the means to let my ratty buddies run around as much as I'd want to. I had to take them to the vet a few days ago and she said one of the guys is getting a bit pudgy, so I'm looking into ways to keep them fit. I hear they tend to give rats back problems in the long run, though, so I'm not sure whether it's a good idea.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Does this one (sorry, German only) look secure to you guys? It's fairly solid-looking and doesn't have any gaps where a rat could get stuck. Expensive as hell, but I guess at least it'll last me a lifetime.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's the only option I have, there are no other wheels of that size available here, everything else is ~30 centimeters in diameter or less, which is barely bigger than my rats are. I love my guys and everything, but I can't afford importing something even if I wanted to. They've got a lot of wooden stuff in their cage too and have never shown any interest in chewing on it, so I guess at least that won't be a problem.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

JGBeagle posted:

Get a ratball if you can. I plan on getting one soon so my rats can chill around the house.
That's a horrible idea and I recommend that you don't do that. Animals hate being in those things, it's horribly stressful and terrifying to them. They're pretty much considered animal cruelty these days.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You should check if forbidding small pets like rats is even legal where you live. I'm also going to live in a pet-free apartment come December, but forbidding small animals like rabbits, guinea pigs or rats is actually not allowed over here, because there's no reasonable way in which they could damage the apartment or annoy the neighbours.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Is there something I can do to help my rats with respiratory problems? I can't get them do the vet before Friday and my white guy is sniffling his nose off.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, the wheel as arrived. Now how do I get the little bastards to actually use the thing?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

My rats enjoy those little rubber balls you can fill with treats. I've got to get a new one every few weeks because they love chewing holes into the things.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I honestly don't know if I would bother with the Ivermectin, it seems a bit risky to me, what with the possible side effects. When I took my guy to the vet for mites it cost me all of 30€ to get them both treated, with the meds applied externally right on the spot. Better than risking an overdose.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

My guys love white chocolate. Just little bits, because goddamn there's a lot of sugar and fat in that stuff, but they go absolutely crazy over it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I know this is probably a stupid question, but my rats really love licking my fingers and I'm not quite sure why. Quite vigorously, from the top to the bottom, I hardly need to buy soap anymore. I figure it isn't just a sign of affection, because as a general thing my rats have proven smart enough to understand that I am not, in fact, a rat and as such don't need washing. Should I get them a salt lick? Maybe spray their food with salt water every so often?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm worried about one of my guys. He's been sitting in a corner all day today, not eating or drinking much of anything but sniffing the air wildly. When I take him out of his cage he doesn't want to do anything, he just hides and sits still again. Anybody got an idea what's wrong? :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Big Bug Hug posted:

He sounds either frightened or preoccupied with smells or far-off sounds. Perhaps he had a fright while you weren't around to see?
Must have been that, because he's fine again now. I'm currently visiting my family and they've got a few cats; could be that one of them snuck into the guest room while I wasn't looking.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That's way cuter than it has any right to be. I didn't think rats had enough of a neck for those things to not fall off straight away, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think one of my rats had a stroke or something. He's active and seems to be able to move all his limbs well enough, and he seems happy enough to be handled and explore my desk, but no matter what he does his movement seem weirdly... groping, like he isn't feeling quite secure on his feet. He also leans heavily to the right, no matter what he does, and he doesn't seem able to open his right eye fully.

Is this a known ratty illness, is there anything I can maybe do to help? I feel awful seeing him like that. :(

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Man, that would suck. They're barely a year old, I wouldn't know what to do with the other guy if one of them died like that. High time to go to the vet, then.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Man, that would suck. They're barely a year old, I wouldn't know what to do with the other guy if one of them died like that. High time to go to the vet, then.
Well, so much for that. After administering antibiotics for a few days just in case it helped, I had to have the little guy put down today. Brain tumor. Now I wonder what to do with the one I have left. I'll probably have to find him one or two new friends, I couldn't just leave him alone for the next year.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Arched back and no eating is a sign of acute pain. Whatever is wrong with him, it hurts. Take him to the vet ASAP.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Raw eggs are one option, but that's probably not the best idea in a rat with a compromised immune system. Hard-boiled eggs mixed with a bit of liquid and put through a blender should work fine, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm going out this afternoon to pick up a new boy to keep my leftover rat buddy company. I hope they'll do well together, wish me luck.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Man, I hope this is going to work out. The new guy is maybe half the size of my other rat, if that, and probably less than a third the weight. The size difference is so much that my old boy could probably accidentally kill the newcomer just by sitting on him. Anybody have experience keeping rats with extreme size differences? Does this work out in the long run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I don't have a pet thermometer so I can't really check his exact temperature.
Regular fever thermometers work fine, you just have to use a lot of lube.

...well, that came out sounding kind of wrong. It's how my vet does it, though.