Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Sector Corrector posted:

I'd thought I'd seen most smaller mammals up until today when someone introduced me to a new one. Can someone tell me about : a gerbil? Sorry if the rat thread isn't the right place to ask this, but it seemed right since they were so similar.

You'll have more luck in the rodent thread, but I kept a pair when I was a kid. They're sweet but flightier than the other rodents I've had and they're FAST. They'll chew their way through anything that isn't glass or metal and they'll do it quickly. There have been stories about a kid getting a gerbil and putting it in one of those tiny plastic hamster cages and there's a gerbil sized hole and no gerbil 45 minutes after they put the gerbil in the cage. I 100% believe this. All of my clothes had holes in them, if you put a paper towel roll in the cage, one would get on one side and the other on the other and they'd chew until it was gone. Wheels are controversial since the metal ones have spokes and the plastic ones are just going to get destroyed/might cause an impaction when the gerbil tries to eat it. They're happiest when they have several inches of bedding, which also isn't great for wheels.

I don't know if I lucked out or they were typical, but they were sweet boys and I still think about them fondly. Probably the least rat-like out of the rodents I've kept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU