Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Had to have another one put to sleep today. One rat remaining, of the original four.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My rat wound up on the floor last night. Not sure whether deliberate or accidental, I guess we'll find out if he does it again, but my Little Monster trap worked!

I used to drink a lot of Monster energy drinks so I've been using the boxes they came in as disposable rat houses for some time. After some early accidental falls and the difficulty of getting them out from behind wherever they'd hidden, I took one of these boxes and left it on the floor in a discreet but accessible location.

When I couldn't find him in the cage this morning I checked the box, and yep, there he was. Just picked up the box with him in it, put him back in the cage, and put the box back. Much easier.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've only had one go through surgery but they used internal sutures to reduce the risk of it. Apparently they use x ray film to make cones if necessary, but it's not ideal. Another option people apparently do is snug bandage wraps, but they're all fabric chewers and wriggle kings so it's always going to be a struggle.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

They decided to sleep in my hand and I couldn't move for almost an hour.

Since the death of 3 out of 4 of my rats I've been working hard to bond more with the remaining one who doesn't trust me much.

Today was the first time he chose to nap on my hand. For 5 hours.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ThreeStep posted:

4 weeks. The amount of time I handle them everyday has been inconsistent though. Some days work has me dead and all I have time for is a few minutes. Working on that though.

I was perhaps too hands off with my boys, but I would suggest not pushing their boundaries too hard too fast. Just gently ramping things up as they get comfortable with where they are with you already.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

One of my rats has some mystery sickness that I can't figure out.

They were a bit sneezy when we got them and the breeder said that it should go away pretty soon on it's own, since it wasn't serious looking and they were still pretty active.
Now both of them still sneeze pretty regularly.

The thing is. I've had them for 5 weeks now and the sneezing hasn't gotten worse or better really, which makes me think that it can't be myco for sure. There are no vets nearby that know anything about rats either, so the best I can do is to get them to give me some antibiotic and I don't really want to do that if it's not absolutely needed.

Any ideas what it could be?

How's the humidity in their room?

You've had rats before, right? So I'm assuming you've got your bedding and hygiene routines sorted already.

I've definitely had rats who've had ongoing myco nonsense for months/years.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah I did have rats before. I just never seen them be so sneezy.

I'm pretty sure that their environment is as dust free as I can keep it and I've even started using shredded paper for bedding to avoid any dust related issues.

Fair enough. Check out your humidity levels, anything under 50%RH I've found messes with the sinuses of my fellas, and the winter can be particularly bad for it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

You might be right. I didn't even think about low humidity but the room they were in was definitely too dry.
I'll have to see if their condition changes but I hope that's all it was.

I don't want to sub in for an actual exotic vet but if that doesn't work you can also nebulise them with saline/F10 solution which apparently helps their sinuses and kills bugs without antibiotics, respectively. If that doesn't work then Doxycycline orally, if that doesn't work then ciprofloxacin orally, if that doesn't work then combine all of the above. At least, that's the process we went through with some of my chronic myco boys.

Have they been producing much porphyrin?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Good news: rat is off antibiotics now
Bad news: new growth in his armpit
OK news: probably not a recurrence of his previous malignant tumour, probably a benign mammary thing

Will monitor and intervene if necessary.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

biker rats from mars

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The ongoing bonding with my last rat is going well, I'm happy :3:

Animal-Mother posted:

What's most worrisome is that she appears confused. Lost. She hardly reacts to her sister or the young ones.

I'm sorry to hear that :(

Has she been doing anything like walking in circles?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Well that's a blessing at least. My lot couldn't resist carrot-based baby foods if that's on the menu for you.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Having rats has been good exposure therapy for one of the electricians. One of his big fears is unexpectedly finding rats while up in an attic somewhere, so it was nice for him to be able to see one in a controlled environment.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

"they're very cute but I don't like their tail." Which seems to be a very common opinion, I've noticed.

That's my mother's stance, yes.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Same, even with UK branded ones.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What's the cage smell like? Any ammonia?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

:iiam:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ratthew is out of surgery and apparently recovering well. Hopefully he doesn't aspirate and give himself a life-threatening chest infection this time.

ThreeStep posted:

Good news: the rats are comfortable enough that they'll crawl into my hoodie and hang out. One of them will find a sleeve, crawl through and come back like it's some kind of ride.

Bad news: Same rat has also found the arm hole for my t-shirt. And really needs her nails trimmed.

Mine used to do that with my pant legs when I had my feet up on the table :3:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

snoo posted:

our wonderful vet was able to see finky this morning and took some samples, and she thinks it's vaginitis. so we got her on yucky baytril AND metacam :whitewater: the poor rat hates me so much right now

"this [metacam] is honey flavoured so there'll be no trouble getting him to take it", says the vet nurse
"I see you've not tried with this rat", thought I.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

Yeah you learn quick that the trick is they only really have front teeth to guard their mouth so you sneak in from the side of the mouth.

I don't know how universal this is, but when I have to give meds directly (rare because usually I can hide it in carrot baby food), I hold the syringe in front of his face for long enough and he'll eventually bite it, at which point push that plunger.

snoo posted:

:classiclol:

well, at the very least you gave me the idea to mix the medication with a little honey, and she's taking it without issue!

:woop:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ratthew has recovered well from his surgery and is back to his normal self.

:3:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think my boy's on his way out. Quite laboured breathing and not really moving around much. Still eating and drinking but not super reactive.

This is just old age, right? He's just over 2 years old and already on antibiotics.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

I think my boy's on his way out. Quite laboured breathing and not really moving around much. Still eating and drinking but not super reactive.

This is just old age, right? He's just over 2 years old and already on antibiotics.

Unfortunately despite being rushed to the vet for a few hours, we had to put him to sleep.

Thus concludes my 2 year adventure with rats. It was lovely, but, as we all know, too short.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ThreeStep posted:

Any recommendations for a carrier for 2 rats? I have this and when I wasn't looking they chewed a decent-sized hole in the mesh. I was thinking the Living World Hagen carrier, but even the large seems a little small?

I had plenty of luck with buying a small hamster cage and a velcro strap

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

redcheval posted:

I need a gut check on what to do about one of my rats :(

I noticed Chanterelle had rapid weight loss a couple weeks ago, which was odd because she was always the chunkier one. She wasn't having any visible signs of respiratory stress, but Portobello was starting to breathe really noisily, so the vet put both of them on antibiotics to treat a respiratory infection. Bello is now back to her old self, energetic and healthy, but Chanterelle has just gotten worse and worse over time. Some days she will have a bit of a bounce back and come out of the cage on her own, or appear to be eating somewhat normally, but she's super lethargic and sometimes appears like she really WANTS to eat, but just isn't for some reason (grabbing food excitedly/licking, but only eating a few bites). But she also refuses to take most food and treats she used to be excited about.

She also has now twice had little episodes of a thick mucus-like substance coming from her mouth, and gagging/choking, which I have never seen before in almost a decade of rat ownership. They passed after a while but were super scary to see and I booked it to the vet the first time I noticed it. In the past couple days she's been fairly limp, like all her energy is just gone.

She's about 1.5 and I'm a little devastated and the coronavirus situation is making everything harder to process. The vet told me essentially there's not much more she can do, unless I want to get her x-rayed to see if tumors are responsible. She's suffering enough that I really feel like I need to do something, but I'm afraid of jumping the gun on euthanizing her, but it feels like it's at that point... has anyone experienced any of these symptoms before?

The mucus / gagging is how they vomit. They can't vomit like we do, so if they can't swallow something they do that. It's very distressing for them and us but all you can really do is wait.

Given she won't eat much, is getting stuff stuck, and is losing weight, sure sounds like some kind of issue with swallowing or similar, but that's about as far as I'd be willing to speculate.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

thehoodie posted:

We got these two babies because we had to put down one of our other rats and the remaining one needed company.

These two have come up with an, uh, interesting way to drink:

That's Ratilda on top and Canoodle on bottom.

Also totally adorable how Ratilda looks like she is nursing a mean hangover.

Adorbs.

God I miss my rats.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I think if I got new ones I'd need to

1. Rethink their housing so it's easier to clean, more modular, and more portable
2. Work from the start to make them more travel friendly, at least around the house, while still keeping their attachment to a home base so escape isn't a concern
3. Stagger their purchase so they don't all reach end of life at the same time, and basically assume I'll be taking on new ones forever
4. Put aside ~£1000/rat for end of life heathcare
5. Find a couple of reliable pet sitters who can stop by when I'm away, and/or some solution for automatic food/water/toilet refills

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Falstaff posted:

It's world rat day today! And I am still, sadly, ratless... I miss my little goofballs a lot in these days of self-isolation.

Yeah. I'm strongly considering putting some plans in place for new critters.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

God I couldn't trust my girls like that. I feel like they'd just bolt. And we've socialized them pretty well.

Part of my thinking for any future rats is to have part of their home portable, so when they're taken to a new environment they still have their safe place to run to, rather than running randomly.

I left the cage doors open for mine for a year and never had a problem, because why would they leave their home?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

If you're worried about them peeing on it, perhaps something with removable covers that you can throw in the wash.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

As long as they're not actually eating it

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ThreeStep posted:

Don't think they're swallowing any of it, but I've been keeping an eye just in case. Just didn't think their teeth were that sharp but every time I think that they find a new way to surprise me.

Yeah they take a real liking to anything rubberised.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

snoo posted:

I just wondered if not being spayed might contribute to hormonal stuff or being in heat (making that area uncomfortable for her). is she drawing blood?

I have experienced waking up a rat or otherwise bothering a rat who wasn't paying attention and did that quick gentle nip before they realized what was going on.

we've only have had one rat who drew blood and it was because she smelled food / wanted small food we were holding tightly, and all accidental really, so we just don't hold small things she can get mad about. but that's an easier situation to fix and I can trust her around fingers now.

I hope someone else can chime in and be of more help. I hope she and the others are doing alright otherwise!

No more help from me, I'm afraid. Similar experiences to yours, but all boys.

They were particularly sensitive to being touched further down their back, though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

phasmid posted:

Hello again, Rat Crew.

My little one with the biting problem is now completely sweet and hasn't bitten us once in the last week. We started handling her with gardening gloves and trying to speak to her softly so she would not be afraid or think she was "in trouble". She is being surpassingly sweet to us and her sisters (although she still likes to knock things over and shimmy up any appendage no matter how unwilling).

Anyway, I don't lurk this thread as often as I might but I appreciate the help offered. Still at a loss as to what really changed her behavior but in the end it might just boil down to rats being extremely responsive animals. She realized her behavior was bad and she changed it herself? Or maybe it was just some weird stage of late adolescence. But she's a law-abider now. For the most part.

That's great to hear :)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ThreeStep posted:

One of my girls just ruined a second set of speakers then aggressively groomed my hand. Nice try but I'm still mad.

And now I have to rearrange my entire desk so no wire is within tooth's reach, even with cord protectors.

Yeah I moved mine under the desk. They love chomping at the diaphragms.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

One of my guys had pretty bad skin basically his entire life, and there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for it. Vet said it wasn't mites, and his 3 brothers were fine. I did give him a bath which helped for a while, I think he was having a build up of buck grease (his skin was yellow, but not jaundiced) which is I guess unlikely for female rats.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm so glad :)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I still miss my rats most every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Very Good