Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

EVG posted:

One thing I saw that was incorrect in the OP - Harlan Teklad does sell their blocks to retail consumers now. You can buy a 50lb bag for $25 (about $40 shipped) from Amazon under the name "Native Earth".

http://www.amazon.com/Native-Earth-Protein-4018-Rodent/dp/B00132ROS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1277337135&sr=8-1

Came here to post this, and Kim's Ark does not sell Harlan Teklad anymore. I asked ~2 years ago and she directed me to Native Earth (which IS Harlan Teklad, just consumer-ified).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Cucarachita posted:

Ya know we asked about that. We were picking up some cat food, and we happened to see another little cutey, she looked like Peaches but with brown instead of the peach splash, and I immediately thought 'that's my Princess Daisy!' but we were afraid since we got her from a different store, that perhaps there would be fighting issues.
There might be, but most rats (if you do it properly) can be introduced to other rat buddies. Read the FAQ in the first post for How do I introduce my new rat to the rat(s) I already have? and that should explain how to do this. Ask us if you have questions. Just be aware that there's a small chance that they'd hate each other, so are you willing to have two cages or can find a responsible friend to give away the other rat to?

quote:

We asked how good of an idea it was and were told if we give her enough attention and socialize with her she shouldn't need a friend and boy do we ever.
This is mis-information. Unless you're playing with her 24/7/365 all day every day every waking hour, you're not an acceptable replacement for another rat buddy. Rats really do NEED other rats. Please consider getting and introducing Daisy to Peach. :)

quote:

Side note though, something I have noticed and has worried me a tad about her is a sneezing fix she seems to have acquired upon arrival. At the pet store they had her in what looks to be a papery bedding, and I bought her wood shavings because I find it easy to clean. Could dust from that possibly be causing it?
What kind of wood? If it's cedar or pine, get Peach off them immediately and give her old towels or something until you can get replacement bedding. Here's why:

RMCA posted:

Both cedar and pine shavings contain phenols, the oils in the wood that give them their fresh and woodsy smell. Phenols are poisonous, caustic, acidic compounds present in soft woods, and are routinely diluted for use in disinfectants (such as Pine-Sol and Lysol) and cover the smell of animal urine. Because phenols are caustic, they constantly irritate the nasal passages, throat and lungs which gives an easy opening to bacteria. Phenols affect the kidneys and liver, the organs responsible for filtering blood and urine and eliminating toxins from them. Long-term exposure to phenols can cause liver damage and make the animal very sensitive to anesthetics. Exposure to phenols can also depress the immune system, thus causing lowered resistance to diseases such as respiratory infection. Pine and cedar shavings are toxic to small animals and should not ever be used.

Unfortunately, cedar and pine are the easiest to find in pet stores. Under no circumstances should they be used. Hardwood shavings are the best, such as aspen. Other acceptable litters are paper products such as Bio-Flush, CareFRESH, and Yesterday_s News. Corncob bedding is okay but when it gets damp it can start growing mold, thus requiring frequent changing. Rabbit food pellets can also be used. It is absorbent and breaks down easily, but is safer than soft woods or corncob.
We here at PI recommend CareFresh and Yesterday's News. The pet store's "papery bedding" was probably one of these.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Skutter posted:

That makes us sound so professional. :D
God knows we're more professional than the so-called professionals at pet shops dispensing such shoddy advice.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Rodent Mortician posted:

Yeah, they did it when they unbanned prairie dogs. Unfortunately they're still pretty rare. I think they breed kind of slowly comparatively and are fairly expensive. But one day, I'll have one too. :3:

Until then, I sponsored one of the mine seeking rats at http://herorat.org

THANK YOU for the link to this. I finally have a charity I can actually care enough to donate to!

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

squidtarts posted:

Flat rat :3: :3: :3: :3:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Apidae posted:

They're both crazy for oatmeal, it's hilarious.

Well, there you go. Name the little smoky one Burnt Oatmeal. :3:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

shadysight posted:

Bee&Jay

We have a winner :D

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

The female I bought a few weeks ago is starting to show as of today. I'm moving her into a maternity tank tomorrow. I know this is a ~pet~ rat thread and most people here will be barfy about hearing about feeders but since it has been literally years since I have so much as seen a litter of rats, I am in fact very excited. I can't get too attached for obvious reasons, but I am very much looking forward to getting to watch a bunch of little eepers grow. I'll be keeping one or two of the babies from this litter to breed, so once I choose them I'll at least have one or two I can allow myself to get attached to.

Babies! :3:

If notsoape can have a humanely-raised bunny farm for slaughterings, we can put up with humanely-raised rats for feeding other critters with. Besides, rats are cuter :colbert:

You are going to post pictures of the babies, right? RIGHT?!

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

God, they're so ugly they're cute :3: How many so far?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

dog days are over posted:

Thanks for the answers about bumblefoot/second-hand cage. I've bought a second-hand savic freddy 2 which looks awesome and seems a good size for a pair of rats. The seller is an avid rat owner herself and said she has given it a good clean already, but I'll clean it again when it arrives just to be on the safe side.

Talking to a couple breeders and one has two litters of roan dumbos:

Click here for the full 800x812 image.

Gawwwd I can't wait, look at them :3:

I just want to mush my face into bowl of ratty :3: :3: :swoon:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Superconsndar posted:

BABY RATS
Wanna smush face into baby ratty pile :3: :3: :3:

Superconsndar posted:

ADULT RATS WITH FRANKIE
:swoon: I love pictures of rats with other pets :3: Mostly because of the expressions on the pet's face, which is invariably along the lines of " :supaburn: oh god what is this thing it's moving and furry what do I do :supaburn: "

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Rodent Mortician posted:

Once a week, not once a day. The life cycle of the mite is ~10 days so you're basically dosing to kill all the new hatchlings since the last kill off. I typically do 3 doses, one week apart, but if there are super bad mites it may take 4-5 treatments.

This. You need to kill the existing mites, then you have to kill the next cycle with the next treatment a week later, and so on until they're gone. Ivermectin is not a bug bomb; you have to work with the life cycle of the critters.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Baby shampoo is fine. If you live near a hippie store, try to find a more organic child-safe version than "Johnson & Johnson's No Tears" that takes it easy on the additive chemicals. Hell, even Dawn will work if you're in a pinch, just make sure you rinse your rats really well and try not to get soap in their eyes/mouth/nose/ears, especially the ears.

CompactFanny posted:

He hates it so much. :3:

When I had to bathe my rat(s), I ended up going to work the next day and having my boss ask if I wrestled with a sandpaper grinder. :( Cuts, scratches, deep gouges all up my arms from their sharp claws, no matter how much I trimmed them beforehand...

Oh, and the most hilarious thing in the world is the sight of a sopping, drippy, pathetic-looking rat frantically trying to scale the bathtub walls :D

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Dr. Spaceman posted:

I just want one of those rats that lives to be 4 years old :(

I've had 10 (pet store or adopted) rats. Only one of them has lived past 3 years, and that was due to sheer stubbornness on his part. You and me both, buddy. :(

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

gos_jim posted:

I am interested in maybe getting a few rats. I have never had a pet of any kind, ever. Recently I've been really feeling like I want one, but I travel for work occasionally and I wouldn't want to leave a dog or cat alone for a week at a time on any kind of frequent basis.

I know rats are social and affectionate, how bad would it be to occasionally be out of town for a week? I am always back on weekends. I also don't travel all the time. I have not traveled at all the second half of this year, but when I DO, it's usually 2 months or so of being gone during the week and home on the weekends. I could conceivably get friends to check in on them occasionally while I'm gone, but probably not every day. How big of a problem would this be? Would this kind of life still be more desirable than being at a typical rescue? I would definitely be getting at least 2 rats, would a third help out with making them not feel lonely if I'm gone for a while? I would like to get rats, but I will tough it out and not get them if it means I would not be able to treat them properly.

Edit: The other part of this is that when I'm not traveling, I'm working from home. So I would be around them even more often, and I worry that would make it that much worse for them when I'm gone.

Don't get rats. They really do need daily attention, even if it's minimal. Plus, they have a tendency to knock their water bowl over, or the water tube could malfunction, or run out of food, or get their foot caught in a cage/toy/hammock and break it, or or or...

If you're not going to be there daily for the next 2-3 years, it's not really fair to them. Vacations are fine if you have friends come over once a day (or bring your rats in cage to friends for daily attention and to make sure they stay alive and well), but that's an awful lot to impose on friends regularly.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Skizzles posted:

And we have three cats and a big dog. I know rats and cats can get along, but what should I do if there's trouble?

Cats: Just keep an eye on them. If they can't behave and play nicely, kick them out of the room when the rats have playtime.

Big dog:

:10bux: says that the 85 lb dog is terrified of the little 1 lb rats. But of course, you know your dog better than we do, so like the cats, keep an eye on them together.

Never leave any not-rat animal alone with your rats - this includes strange humans and little children!

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Skizzles posted:

But if the cats try to get at them through the cage
Let's just say they'll only try sticking their paws through the bars once or twice. Rats do have a built-in defense mechanism: their teeth. :D

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Chakattack! posted:

How long do you leave it in the freezer - I assume not that long? I'd be worried about it getting damp when I took it out to defrost, so I'd really love some more info about this and what people tend to do.

I leave mine in the chest freezer overnight. I've never had any dampness issues when I take it out to defrost.

As for that equine bedding, what's it made of?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Angelwolf posted:

Following the advice of Big Bug Hug, I decided to make a hammock. They're not sure what to do with it at the moment but I am sure they will learn. Originally I bought some cotton woolish stuff (like the stuff used for hamster and mice) but they don't seem that interested in it.
I make hammocks. You should use fleece and plunk their butts in there. :3:

I have got to get me a working sewing machine so I can get back to making hammocks for sale again...

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Serella posted:

How the gently caress did all of that fit inside one little rat?

CONCLUSION: RATS ARE MAGIC

Rat of Holding?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

neongrey posted:

I'm not sure what I should be doing... It's very clearly Idresti's time, his back legs are pretty much gone and he's struggling like crazy to get anywhere, and he's just getting smaller... but, it's just so cold outside, there's no way he'd survive any trip to the vet's. He'd definitely not make it to the bus stop, and frankly in his state, I'm worried he wouldn't even make it to the car if I got a ride.

I don't know what to do, I wouldn't want him to freeze to death, even on a trip to put him down. :(

e: well, I called the small animal vet, and apparently they do do house calls for situations like this. The next question will be if he'll make it until payday or if they'll let me defer payment for a week...

How much is it? If you have PayPal, I'll loan you the money right now and you pay me back next week (I'll take a check/money order if you'd prefer to pay me back that way).

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

neongrey posted:

I do have paypal but going from paypal to a bank account takes something like a week regardless for me, or at least did last I tried it. I think, or hope, that he can hold out a week and be okay; he's still eating and drinking fairly well, and if I shuffle stuff in the cage I can make it easier for him to get around.

Can probably borrow it from my dad, too. It's not a whole lot they want for it, I just have a lot of bs going on lately that means I just don't have it this second.

I appreciate the offer, though.

All right. I just wanted to make sure that Idresti wasn't in (too much) pain. Sick/old rats suck :( :sympathy:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

neongrey posted:

Well, my dad was going to take me to the vet tomorrow, but as I was doing headcount this morning, I could see through the side of the hammock pretty easily that he wasn't breathing at all. So, at least this means when Idresti went, he was somewhere warm and soft and he was curled up with at least one of his buddies.

Despite that, it kind of feels worse than the ones that I didn't know were coming. :(

:sympathy: :sympathy:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

redjenova posted:

What happened to my rat's whiskers? :confused:

Both of them had long whiskers when I first got them. About a week ago I noticed that suddenly, only ONE of them had long whiskers--all the whiskers on Amelie were completely gone!

Now she has whiskery stubble, so it's obvious they're growing back, but I can't figure out what happened. I thought MAYBE somehow they'd been pulled out in a tussle or something, but even the 'eyebrow' whiskers seem to have been gone. Neither of them have been sick or under any kind of stress, and Squiggles is still totally fine. I have no idea what could have happened.

Have they been near candles or other open flame recently? I had a rat that went candle-sniffing, one of his whiskers caught fire, I frantically chased him around the desk trying to put him out, and he kept running away because he thought I was playing with him :rolleyes: He ended up with short stubby curly whiskers for awhile after that until they re-grew. It was still :3:

Otherwise, yeah, Squiggles is probably chewing them off or either rat is over-grooming Amelie. I guess you can wait and see if they grow back properly and if it happens again.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Enzer posted:

Now if I can only get people to stop giving me weird looks when I tell them I have pet rats.

You won't.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Slidje posted:

Its a good idea to stop for a bit. You are grieving and you need to recover. I lasted about 3 months without rats and I was 100% certain I would never own them again. I just loved mine so much I couldn't deal with the death any more.

Every time I ate something I would save a piece for my babies, then remember I didnt have any. I`d go home and sit down not really thinking about what I was waiting for, but it was my none-existant rats to pile me.

Take a break and see what your heart tells you. You might want them again, you might not.

Its not a bad thing if you don't. You can always come to this thread to remind yourself and look at cute pictures

This. It's been two years since the last of my rats died, and... I just can't take any more right now. And I keep finding myself tucking away the fortune cookies from Chinese food restaurants to bring them home to give to the (non-existent) rats, then getting all :(

It really is a shame that they don't live longer or healthier.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

polyfractal posted:

So what kind of treats do people give their ratties? Mine have eaten basically everything I've given them, but seem to especially like peanuts and cheerios. I don't want to give them too many peanuts as treats. Any other tasty but healthy things they might go crazy for? I'm looking for stuff that will help me train them :)

Fortune cookies
Rice Krispies
Teddy Grahams, any flavor (mine didn't love the chocolate ones, though)
The crushed chips at the bottom of the bag that you usually throw out anyway
Pizza crusts
Letting them lick the bowl/mixing appliance from homemade cake frosting (note: you only give them this once, then marvel at the next 3+ hours of HOVERRAT )

edit: Oh, you said healthy. Never mind then :P

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

neongrey posted:

Yeah... yeah, he's gone. Li'l Varael is looking very confused right now, the longest he's ever been alone was the transportation from the breeder to my cage. :smith:

:sympathy:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

GenericOverusedName posted:

I know rats can eat just about anything, but is there anything I should avoid giving them? I know peanut butter should be mixed in with things since it is so thick, and spicy foods = horrible poop nightmares, but is there anything else I should watch out for? Last thing I'd want is for a well-intended treat to end up hurting the lil' guys :(

In no particular order:

- almonds
- oranges give male rats cancer (d-limonene)
- onions
- chocolate is fine in small amounts, preferably the darker varieties
- green potatoes and potato eyes (toxic)
- unwashed fruits and vegetables
- raw vegetables in general (broccoli and corn are fine, you should cook everything else)
- beans
- dried corn (boiled corn on the cob is excellent, if you don't mind the mess)
- too much sugary foods
- avocados
- caffeine
- cherries (the pit contains cyanide; doesn't bother you, probably will bother the much smaller rat)
- :420: (that is, straight-up marijuana, not smoked)
- tomatoes
- licorice

e;fb.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Chakattack! posted:

Yeah, I occasionally feed my rats cherry tomatoes, I'd never heard it was bad for them. Why is that?

Also the uncooked vegetables thing seems really odd to me - what about carrots, bell peppers? Cucumber? Peas? My rule of thumb so far has been that if I wouldn't eat it raw, neither will my rats, so things like uncooked potato/sweet potato etc are out, but otherwise they get most things raw. Have I been doing wrong?
Cherry tomatoes are fine, I think. The raw vegetables thing is mostly because the raw forms have extreme levels of various bad things:
  • oxalates (rhubarb)
  • solanines (green potatoes and eyes)
  • bacteria (raw tofu)
  • cyanide (raw sweet potatoes have some chemical cocktail that forms cyanide in the stomach)
  • beans and peanuts contain antinutrients that destroy Vitamin A and enzymes needed to digest protein and starches, and causes the red blood cells to clump)
  • carbonated beverages because rats can't burp or vomit
... the list goes on. Google if you want to know why a specific food is bad for them.

Sources: Rat Health Food by Debbie “The Rat Lady” Ducommun, Maritime Rattery, Rattypaedia, others

quote:

Oh, another thing: I asked this question in another rat-related thread but I don't think it ever got answered. I would never give my rats any sort of intoxicating substance, but I live in a pretty stoner flat and worry about them finding/nibbling little remnants of weed when they are free ranging on the sofas or places where people have been smoking (I don't let anyone smoke around the rats, the room they live in is a smoke-free zone and everyone smokes out of windows in other rooms so there isn't a horrible smokey atmosphere for them), I noticed that weed is mentioned on the list of things to never give them so I'm a bit worried.

I don't think little bits of weed will hurt them, but if they get into, say, a full bag of the stuff, that's not good for rats, dogs, cats, and probably humans. I've no idea, as I don't smoke myself, but I imagine it can't be too good for a human to eat the stuff, let alone a creature that weighs 1-2 lbs...

daggerdragon fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 11, 2011

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

ElectricSquire posted:

Erlend :3:

DAWWWWWWWWWAK;KSADFJWLERJOI :supaburn: :3: :3: :3:

*ahem*

That's some really good photography. They look so soft... are they?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

CompactFanny posted:

A rat that lays in a loaf with its face on the ground is a herpderp. :3:

:3: indeed. In his food bowl, nonetheless.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Olive Bar posted:

I lied, I have one more question. How often should I give them vitamins? Is it an every day sort of thing, or like weekly? I looked back over the OP but couldn't find it.

If you're feeding a balanced diet, you shouldn't need to give them any vitamins.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Big Bug Hug posted:

Oh my god. Look at those guys. :lol::lol:
I love boy rats.

Boy rats give no fucks whatsoever about anything - that's why they're awesome!

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

O'riginal posted:

Sounds like they're licking friendly-like; they'll come around.

I agree, losing a rat sucks. We've done it 97 times in the past ten or eleven years, and it hasn't gotten easier on my wife. She bawls every time.

Jeez. 97 times? I gave up after 10 and just couldn't handle it any more :(

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

tse1618 posted:

I'm wondering if it's time soon to euthanize my old man rat, if he doesn't pass on his own soon. He's almost 3 now, and he's outlived his (younger) cagemates. He hardly ever comes out of his igloo anymore, might be completely blind, and won't let me touch him at all. He doesn't have any lumps and his breathing is normal. I'm worried that he's in pain and it's why he's acting so strange, but if he is blind is it possible he's just scared of me and navigating his cage because he can't see any of it?

He did seem improved today, he came out of his igloo and climbed up 3 levels to get to his hammock. He hasn't been eating much, if anything, lately, but I saw the rice was gone out of his bowl so I offered him some baby food. He's been rejecting that too lately, but this time he ate spoonful after spoonful and begged for more. I'm just afraid that he'll relapse even worse and stop moving and eating altogether.

I would say that as long as he's eating, he's fine. However, I don't think that him not letting you pick him up is normal. Rats don't use their eyesight as much as their nose, so if you socialized with him properly, he should still recognize you by smell. What does he do when you try to touch him?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Chakattack! posted:

And a cute picture of them snuggling up to my boyfriend's feet in bed one Sunday morning :3:

BRB while I go explode :3: all over the place. :3: :3: :3:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Jin Wicked posted:

At his age I would just keep him alone and shower him with attention if another rat is absolutely not an option.

Alone in a loving and familiar environment is preferable to dying of old age in a shelter, in my opinion.

Again -- just my opinion -- I could not upend the entire life of an elderly rat like that.

Seriously, this. Just love him until he dies, then decide if you want to go through the whole cycle again. Some of us (i.e. me) just can't, so we live vicariously through this thread (see: rat babies posted above! :neckbeard: ) The important part is to love him and pay more attention to him to make up for losing his buddies.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Big Bug Hug posted:

Yes pics please!
My little guy looking contrite

No such thing. :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

Saw this on Senor GIF:

:3: