Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coritani
Aug 5, 2007
I'm going to be doing a bit of travel over the next year or so (hopefully) so I wanted to invest in a nifty P&S. I went into a store today and talked to a salesperson and he told me that if I'm going to be doing much outdoors-ey stuff (taking the camera to a beach, rock climbing, etc) I shouldn't get a Canon but instead go for something like a Lumix FT10. He said that this was because if any sand or grit gets into the camera it can essentially ruin it. How true is this?

My budget is around $300NZ; so I was thinking a Canon SX220HS (simply by following the 'best canon in your budget' advice), does anyone have any experience with this model or have any other recommendations for my budget?

Is there a good site I can look through to find out what to look for in a P&S? I've literally never bought a camera before so I'm totally out of my depth when I'm looking up cameras :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coritani
Aug 5, 2007

ma i married a tuna posted:

SX220/230 (same camera without or with GPS) are good cameras. The rule of thumb is useful here. The super-rugged market the salesman was getting you on can be good if you're expecting your cam to get dropped or get wet, but it's not like regular models fall apart when you look at them - just get a case and be careful like a regular person. DPreview is a good site, but they don't review every single P&S that comes out.

Augh. Turns out I was looking at the Australian website of the retailer, so instead of being ~250$, the SX220 is in fact $400 in New Zealand. So I may have to settle for an IXUS220 os SX130IS instead. How much of a downgrade is this? The IXUS220 is tiny, but I'd rather have a camera that shoots good pictures.

Coritani fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 9, 2012

Coritani
Aug 5, 2007
Things turned out much better than expected! I found an SX230HS on clearance for $395NZ, then managed to get the salesperson to bump the price down to $345, including an SD card and a good waterproof case. On top of that, there's a Canon $50 cashback deal going on so in total it'll run me $295 for a camera that normally costs ~$450 here, so I'm stoked. :)

Now I just have to learn how to not take terrible photos!

• Locked thread