Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I did a lot of research a few months ago and ended up recommending the Panny TS1 to my brother for a durable, waterproof camera, and he loves it. The TS2 is supposed to be even better. From what I found, the TS1/TS2 don't go quite as deep/aren't quite as durable as the Olympus 8xxx Tough series, for example, but they put out the best IQ of any waterproof compact right now. The video quality is great, too, which is a standout feature in this class, and WAY better than the D10, Olys, or Pentaxes I've seen footage from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Anyone have an opinion on the new Sony travel zoom, the HX9V? I was going to get the Panny ZS10 but the IQ is horrible, and the Sony video is simply goddamn amazing. The pano options look nice, too.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So I got the HX9V. The image quality is good... not great. However, the GPS/sweep pano functions are awesome and the video is BREATHTAKING. Seriously, head over to Vimeo and search for "hx9v" to see some samples and amateur videophiles wetting themselves over the quality of the footage this thing puts out.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Anyone have any opinions on GPS enabled and/or waterproof cameras?

I have an Olympus 770 SW and while it has served me well for 3-4 years, it is now starting to leak. The optics are also horrific on it.

Looking to buy either another waterproof camera (which is a little better with focusing and in low light conditions) and/or a GPS enabled camera that tags photos with locations.
This is for a trip to Thailand, so I will be on the beach and around water a lot. However, I am also a bit of a Picasa whore, so it would be nice if everything was nicely geotagged.

This will also be in addition to my DSLR, so I want something which is easily transported in my back pocket.

Thanks!

The best option by far is the Panasonic TS-3. I have the TS-2 and love it, and the TS-3 includes GPS capability.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Mister Macys posted:

What would you guys recommend in the $200 and under range?

My planned use:
- daytime/lighted indoor use
- static images for facebook/the forums (food, cat, portraits, etc.)

The budget is pretty much firm, as I don't plan on making it a hobby.
I just need something simple for "around the house" shots, basically, and the occasional holiday.

This is a pretty good deal if you're looking to get a bit geeky with it (GPS included): http://www.42photo.com/pd-productid-105779-k-panasonic_dmc_zs10_141_megapixel_digital_camera_black.htm

The ZS-8 isn't much cheaper, and the ZS-10 has AVCHD video which is nice if you plan on shooting lots of HD video. The zoom is incredibly versatile, too.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Walked posted:

Uh, I'm not. I did make a typo. I DONT want to take my SLR and I'm retarded for typing it how I did. Fixing.

Point is, I dont want to put my SLR getup through that; so I'm looking for a P&S I wont cry if I break and/or can withstand what I'm doing.

I think you need to determine if you want a hardened P&S (if so, the Panasonic TS-3 is probably your best shot) or not. If not, what kind of lens requirements do you have? Do you need to go wide? Zoom? Geotagging could be cool if you're taking pictures in the backwoods. How important is HD video? Do you like features like sweep panoramas, or do you consider that gimmicky? Is RAW capability important? Etc.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

ma i married a tuna posted:

But the image quality on the ZS10 is bad, and it doesn't do well indoors. The new generation of Panasonic superzooms is supposedly better, and the generation before was good, but I'd steer clear of ZS 8 and 10. Canon SX230 or an Ixus are around that budget and better cameras.

Just pointing out that there are, indeed, camera choices besides Canons! :)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If you need great video, get a used/refurbed Sony DSC-HX9V.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
David Pogue is dropping hints about a stunning new camera - seems like it's probably the RX100.

I'm seriously considering placing an order on Amazon just so I can be in line when it comes back in stock and, hell, even flip it for a profit, but probably just keep it. I bet it'll be hard to find this camera initially.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lyz posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for some stupid simple point and shoots with different modes (like landscape, sport, etc). I'm looking for an upgrade for my in-laws because they do a lot of traveling and shooting in museums and stuff, but they're pretty technology stupid. So switching between modes would have to be really easy, like a dial on the top or something.

I skimmed Best Buy and seems like all the ones that had dials were for manual exposure settings, shutter priorities, etc which would be waaaaaaaay beyond their comprehension.

I'm a big fan of the iA+ (aka Gold Auto) mode on newer Sony P&S that have it. My HX9V seems to choose the right scene mode nearly all of the time (low light, backlit, auto-HDR, etc.).

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
http://slickdeals.net/f/6830074-canon-powershot-s110-12-1mp-digital-camera-black-pro-100-printer-paper-16gb-sd-card-case-198-fs-ar-ac

$198 for a Canon S110, Pro-100, 13x19 paper, a lovely case, and a 16GB card after rebate. Yeah, that's a pretty amazing deal.

Just bought one so I can have a ~$50-80 Canon S110 after I sell the rest.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is a NEX too big for her? You don't need to take the lens off and the new power kit zoom is halfway decent. Otherwise I'd say maybe hold off until you can get the MkII for that price?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

moana posted:

Hey, my mom is looking for a decent underwater camera for $300ish. Any recommendations? She has a GoPro but says she wants something that's a bit higher picture quality.

Best Panasonic TS series she can afford.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

spog posted:

Sony's 'Superior iAuto' is a bit weird, isn't it?

I thought the old 2GB card I was using must be very slow, hence the 'processing' delay. Bought a fancy new, Class10, no change, Only then did I decide to read the manual.

Given that it takes multiple shots and combines them, should 'superior' be reserved for tripod use?

My Sony HX9V performs fine when using Superior Auto handheld - it won't always go into HDR mode, but you'll know when it does due to the lengthy "Processing..." message. It can be pretty cool for landscapes, but people tend to look awful as I'm sure you've found.

Use "green" auto to prevent HDR mode.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Score a Panasonic LX100 for ~$575 by taking advantage of the crashing Euro:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7756087-panasonic-lx100-for-575-or-500-if-you-are-e-friendly?v=1

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Sorry. :( I'll post here again if I find a comparable deal.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Refurb Nikon Coolpix A for $299 from Adorama: http://www.adorama.com/INKCPABR.html

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
$483 for an RX100mIII in "Very Good" condition from Amazon Warehouse Deals today only: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00K7O2DJU/ref=olp_prime_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&shipPromoFilter=1

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

whatever7 posted:

Amazon deals are so horrible I ended pickup up a new Ricoh Theta from Crutchfield instead of Amazon Warehouse.

Has anyone else here tried one of these? They seem really expensive for a camera that's essentially a default feature of Android phones, but quicker.

edit: Wow they seem pretty cool for a $400 device that outputs in a format that can't be natively shared on the web and looks like it was taken with a 2MP camera

Radbot fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 15, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why is this better than a Google photosphere? Just that it's instant/doesn't need to be stitched, despite being lower quality?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

whatever7 posted:

You don't get cut off limbs and heads; you can take picture in really crowded places or close to a person.

Also I haven't used any of my photography budget this year and I have brought all the mirrorless gear I wanted.

I also brought a Xiaomi Yi camera...feel free to poo poo on it.

Why would I poo poo on the Xiaomi Yi? It's a decent action cam for a cheap price.

The Theta, however, is the most ridiculously hyper-niche product I've ever heard of - the 360 photosphere camera for portraits!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I have to admit, the video thing is pretty cool and would be hard to reproduce with other tools. I wonder if it's compatible with YouTube's new 360 degree video function.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
You can take that poo poo off but it will become a glare/fingerprintgasm, Google for removing antireflective coatings (possibly oleophobic even though it's not a touch screen).

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just bought an RX100IV - this and this pushed me over the edge from the earlier models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Slow mo is fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmXEcRnCzIE

• Locked thread