Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

lots of jovial guffaws coming out of produce today :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

The people who aren't wearing masks aren't going to think "oh no that person is exposing me to danger by taking off their mask."

They're going to think "oh good, that person also sees through the Big Science lies and knows that masks are bullshit, just like me, and they're validating what I believe."

So we have had some crazy hot days the last two weeks. The masks make life hard for us but we soldier on. Guests range from mad they can't hear me mad they have to roll thier windows up to no mask don't give a poo poo and I know you've told me to roll that window up 3 times but I don't care. Tons of bullshit sympathy for us but the wrong wear of the mask and no mask crews are coming in droves. Fighting a losing battle and we've broken our store record for oil changes twice in a week. Dear god people go away.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
After I got off work last night, I caught a kitten that had been lurking around my house.

But why stop at one?

I am rich with cats.

( Their eyes have been cleaned, they have no wounds, they can see, move under their own power, etc. )

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Babies!!!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

After I got off work last night, I caught a kitten that had been lurking around my house.

But why stop at one?

I am rich with cats.

( Their eyes have been cleaned, they have no wounds, they can see, move under their own power, etc. )

See I told you that if you got fit you'd be drowning in pussy!

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

i don't know about you guys but july 4th really kicked my rear end

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

But why stop at one?

I am rich with cats.

oh man i hope you're ready for those cats to back their smelly poo-butts into your face at night and sleep on your neck and head

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Rainbow Knight posted:

the 2nd and 3rd hosed me up, but yesterday was fairly quiet (explosions aside)

I'm sitting in the lot now and we look super busy again :(

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Corn is on sale, big shock. Bigger shock is that people don't read the limit for the sales price and the majority of my go backs is corn. We had 2 watermelon bins that had a top on them stacked with corn, something similar to this:

Leal posted:

Gentlemen... Behold!

Stacked high and we would swap them out. Someone deadass asked "do you have anymore in the back" within 10 minutes of swapping them out. Buddy, let me tell you, the reason that bin is as full as it is isn't because its been sitting there all day and no one has wanted to buy any. Trust me

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

We were very slow yesterday as well. Today is gonna suck.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Rainbow Knight posted:

oh man i hope you're ready for those cats to back their smelly poo-butts into your face at night and sleep on your neck and head

I regret putting one of my favorite hoodies in the bottom of the basket.

I regret having the cats in my bedroom.

I regret getting bitten this morning and having to call out of work to go to the ER so they could tell me 'lol actually we'll just put you in touch with animal control, take these enormous antiobiotics so you don't die an extremely Ted Nugent death'.

The chance the kitten has rabies is extremely small but I asked the medical professionals and they said 'yeah come' and I did and welp. Glad I hit my deductible.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I regret putting one of my favorite hoodies in the bottom of the basket.

I regret having the cats in my bedroom.

I regret getting bitten this morning and having to call out of work to go to the ER so they could tell me 'lol actually we'll just put you in touch with animal control, take these enormous antiobiotics so you don't die an extremely Ted Nugent death'.

The chance the kitten has rabies is extremely small but I asked the medical professionals and they said 'yeah come' and I did and welp. Glad I hit my deductible.

Rabies isnt the issue, cat bites in general are extremely dangerous due to infection risk.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

SaberToothedPie posted:

Rabies isnt the issue, cat bites in general are extremely dangerous due to infection risk.

They told me they were giving me some antibiotics and I was like "yeah ok sure" and I got them and they're the size of loving .45s. I've shot cartridges smaller than these things.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
At about 4:30 AM on Christmas morning 2005, I suddenly awoke with a horrible cramp in my calf, and while I was thrashing around in pain in my bed, my cat for unknown reasons freaked out and tried to tear my left hand off. Ripped matching four inch gashes across the front and back of my hand that spouted blood everywhere. It being Christmas, I didn’t seek medical attention, which was stupid as hell, but thankfully the wounds healed with no problem. A friend of mine got a vicious infection from a much smaller bite that drat near cost him his hand.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

They told me they were giving me some antibiotics and I was like "yeah ok sure" and I got them and they're the size of loving .45s. I've shot cartridges smaller than these things.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

my asm is moving to another store which sucks because he's very helpful and does a poo poo ton to help the store but also bc it means i have to talk to the store manager again

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I fed a stray and now he hangs around. He recently got into a fight which caught him in the eye, I've had him inside the past week while it heals. I played around with him and he scratched the hell out of my hands, nothing that drew blood or was even visible.

Until I put on the hand sanitizer at work. It feels like I dug my hand into a jar full of salt and barbed wire.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Or as i call it, Tuesday.

Papercuts are an occupational hazard in printing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

"We're gonna need you to train new hires tonight."
Okay, got it.
"Actually the only other guy who's trained on the really important thing with managing the big sorter you were trained to do a bit over a month ago didn't show up. Since you're the only other one who can-"
Okay got it.
"Oh and we have a new guy doing his very first shift managing the workflow through the building, and therefore your (actually important) station."
Okay got it.
"And of course we'll have new packers on the lines and the Singles manager, who has the hardest department to balance the workflow through, is new, knows hardly anything and all of the people she relies on didn't show up today except for you, but you're halfway across the building so she's gonna be having a 10 hour long stressed out meltdown in slow motion making the mess worse."
Okay got it.
"Oh and day shift left you a mess."
They're day shift, do they do anything else?

6 hours later:
Everything's falling apart, the building's machinery is barely keeping up and I'm just sitting here utterly zen. My ability to give a gently caress has long evaporated into the aether.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Alkydere posted:

6 hours later:
Everything's falling apart, the building's machinery is barely keeping up and I'm just sitting here utterly zen. My ability to give a gently caress has long evaporated into the aether.

I love it when this happens. Everything that can possibly go wrong does, and it happens so quickly that you never even had the time to have a meltdown. You realize that everything has gone to poo poo so badly, and you're so far past where you have your meltdown that all you can do is laugh at how horrible the situation is.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Alkydere posted:

Stuff about doing the work of 4 people...

Have you asked for a raise? Because if you left they'd be hosed. Worse they can say is no...get that coin!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I recently got a seventy cent raise. It's still not enough and while I"m happy I got it, I still remember all the times I was told that raises were beyond the control of the store manager, that everyone got the same raise every year, etc, etc.

Ok you've given me a raise but you've also just admitted you've been stonewalling and lying for like a year and a half. Do you understand

why

that's loving frustrating and disheartening

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BULLETKISS posted:

Have you asked for a raise? Because if you left they'd be hosed. Worse they can say is no...get that coin!

Worst they can say is "no" with a quiet "note to self, add Alkydere to the flight risk list and start looking for a replacement" at the end.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Jingleheimer posted:

I love it when this happens. Everything that can possibly go wrong does, and it happens so quickly that you never even had the time to have a meltdown. You realize that everything has gone to poo poo so badly, and you're so far past where you have your meltdown that all you can do is laugh at how horrible the situation is.

This. I hate it when the place goes to poo poo slowly. If everything goes bad all at once, I don't have time to get upset about the pieces and I don't have the energy to get upset about the whole thing.

Had that happen when one of my shift supervisors fainted on the job. I was so busy basically managing everything I didn't have time to freak out about her, and by the time the chaos ended and I could breathe she was conscious (and very embarrassed).

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Love to have a sign on the door saying we can only take cash at the moment, someone one telling you we only take cash as you walk in and announcements every 30 minutes or so and we still have people pissed off they can't use their card.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

dovetaile posted:

Love to have a sign on the door saying we can only take cash at the moment, someone one telling you we only take cash as you walk in and announcements every 30 minutes or so and we still have people pissed off they can't use their card.

"Do you have a customer rewards number with us? It's just your phone number." "I don't know what my customer number is, can I give you my phone number?"

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Cat status:

I can't flush my toilet when I pee because I'm afraid it'll scare them. :ohdear:

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
So yaaayy. Just when I thought my 50 hour 6 day weeks were over. The idiot that willfully injured himself loving quit. Vacation in three weeks. Dear god if I survive.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Jingleheimer posted:

The longform of what went down:

I showed up to train people and since my new manager has no idea what to do and no one showed up I shrug and just clean up Singles for over half an hour before she sends a runner to come get me. The other Jackpot operator isn't here so I get to do my Tote Jackpot job that I should have been at about 35-40 minutes ago. When I get there I find over 100 downstacked totes just to get them temporarily out of the system and let it run. My job is to basically problem solve any totes that come down if I can (i.e. route items to damageland or other departments if need be, put barcode stickers on items that pickers reported as unreadable, remove empty totes from the line, that kind of stuff) but both of the FLOW guys (their job is to run around the facility and clear jams basically) are there telling me not to push anything back onto the line so I say okay and clean up dayshift's mess.

I had nearly 3 stacks of "virtually dirty totes", totes that were physically empty but had items assigned to them. One of my jobs is to clean those up because having those items virtually sitting there is literally useless: the customers aren't getting those shipments, it does literally no one any good for the computer to think a shipment is there when it physically doesn't exist. But day shift freak out because it puts your name on the tote's history when you miss out items that aren't there. Oh noes, management might see you cleaning up shipments that aren't there so they can be repicked from storage and actyakkt sent to outbound in a reasonable timeframe!

Also there's a tote where a container of blue ink went off like a bomb and soaked everything else in it. Technically not day shift since it something the FLOW guys found when they got there, but had been sitting on the line within reach of day's Jackpot operator who'd just left it dripping onto/through the conveyor. Like I can see the stain on the floor where it was sitting and dripping until the FLOW dudes arrived: there was no way that days didn't see the mess and decide to leave it dripping into the machinery for half an hour until nights arrived. That was fun to clean up: bagging the items and placing the trashed tote in the "Janitor staff: please clean" pile before physically walking the new, clean tote down to damageland since the main sorter wasn't working anyways.

Anyways, clean that up and enjoy an hour of peace and quiet before break. After break is when the new hires get here (staggered onboarding for social distancing reasons). New on-site FLOW control guy (not the FLOW jam clear guys downstacking totes with me who are bitter veterans) goes "Oh there's a bunch of new packers in the pack departments, time to send ALL THE WORK to outbound!" completely forgetting that new people are slooooow. I sit there messaging managers "Uh the lines are getting full?" and not much I can do but that. By second break the system's shut down again and we have over 200 totes of work piled up there. Senior Line Fixer comes up and tells me it's got so bad that they're literally gonna stand down all of the pickers for 10-15 minutes after break: no new shipments will be pulled from storage during that time.

Somehow we actually get all the work back on the line and stuff is running smooth by about an hour before end of shift. And I gave not a single gently caress through that, just shrugged and kept working through the mess.

BULLETKISS posted:

AHAHAHAHAHA! You're funny! This is Amazon we're talking about.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 6, 2020

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Alkydere posted:

AHAHAHAHAHA! You're funny! This is Amazon we're talking about.

I know. A girl can dream though. I'm about at the end of my rope at my job and reading this stuff irritates me. Hard workers are the ones the system burns out when they should be the ones taken care of the most. But again, I know how the world works and just do my best with what I can control.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
The lesson is to go find a job where your work will be appreciated or at least rewarded. The other piece is to never go all out, but work just a little harder than the next person over, and invest the rest of your energy into gladhanding the bosses and making friends with your peers and supervisors. This will get you a lot more than killing yourself and being miserable about it.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Keep in mind that you aren't Superman. It's not your fault everything is going to poo poo, and you can't make everything better no matter how much effort you put in. Just put in the level of effort you feel is appropriate and go home at the end of the day.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

BULLETKISS posted:

I know. A girl can dream though. I'm about at the end of my rope at my job and reading this stuff irritates me. Hard workers are the ones the system burns out when they should be the ones taken care of the most. But again, I know how the world works and just do my best with what I can control.

I literally had someone (who I care about and respect) call me out about how I suck as a packer despite being a pack Ambassador (trainer). My response was literally "Yup, that's how you get promoted."

And then I explained I long ago figured out that a) I don't get paid any extra for busting my rear end and b) I won't ever hit some of the rates some of the real athletes can do. So I worked on quality, consistency, etc and mainly made friends. Now I'm in indirect roles and trusted to train people and do complex thinky roles that aren't so exhausting because a bunch of managers know me, like me, and know poo poo will get done without attitude. Because I wasn't one of the ones busting rear end to be the best of the best, no one minded if I got labor shared or put on an indirect task. Meanwhile the people who are trying their hardest to be the bestest become too valuable in their roles for managers to want to move them into other roles.

(Also I always have sour Jolly Ranchers in my pocket and will always happily share if you ask).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
People who think the only metric of performance or the most important metric are how quickly you can do something are annoying as gently caress. They invariably do a poo poo job at everything because they’re fixated on showing off a meaningless number which creates more work for people around them.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

not to mention that the jobs we are given are impossible by design. we’ll never get everything done, our middle managers will always have something negative to say, and they’ll always send some new stupid memo down giving us a new stupid task to add onto our pile of work.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Alkydere posted:

I literally had someone (who I care about and respect) call me out about how I suck as a packer despite being a pack Ambassador (trainer). My response was literally "Yup, that's how you get promoted."

And then I explained I long ago figured out that a) I don't get paid any extra for busting my rear end and b) I won't ever hit some of the rates some of the real athletes can do. So I worked on quality, consistency, etc and mainly made friends. Now I'm in indirect roles and trusted to train people and do complex thinky roles that aren't so exhausting because a bunch of managers know me, like me, and know poo poo will get done without attitude. Because I wasn't one of the ones busting rear end to be the best of the best, no one minded if I got labor shared or put on an indirect task. Meanwhile the people who are trying their hardest to be the bestest become too valuable in their roles for managers to want to move them into other roles.

(Also I always have sour Jolly Ranchers in my pocket and will always happily share if you ask).
I resigned a couple years ago as 2ic dep manager when my line manager handed me the keys and disappeared, leaving me in this major poo poo show for like 3months until I burnt out.
I signed back up as a casual just for a bit of side hustle money and because I can slot in just about anywhere with the experience I already have.

I definitely agree with this. I was never the fastest at moving stock either but I did work hard, got along with my coworkers and even managed to get along with my store manager that I despised. So much so the man messaged me out of the blue back when covid started getting bad and suggested I apply for the retail chain he was currently with.

Now I just slot in whenever I've got some free time, throw out a couple ideas to help and work my pallets. The best part is I can happily just work through my section now and not stress when it's going to poo poo and I get on well with my new line manager.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I was replacing the watermelon bins on the floor. We had 5 of them making an "aisle" in the department. As I'm pushing the bin into place a lady started going to the bin behind me, and was getting in the way. I asked if she could give me a quick minute.

She proceeded to run to get in my way faster. I don't know if I should be mad or respect at how blatant she did that.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

People who think the only metric of performance or the most important metric are how quickly you can do something are annoying as gently caress. They invariably do a poo poo job at everything because they’re fixated on showing off a meaningless number which creates more work for people around them.

So so much this. My job has a rate each operator is asked to hit, but there is also error tracking and overall 'quality' score for the different shifts. Now you only get an error when it get out of the site and noticed by the customers, so if someone else in the other work areas catches a mistake they can pull the work and have it redone. Which then just causes people to process the same items 2 or 3 times. So yeah, great you hit rate, but we have to reprocess a bunch of items you missed stuff on.

Pretty certain that some shifts/people will grab the bigger bundles of work cause its faster/easier and leave the smaller more pain in the rear end work for The Next Shift, which kinda snowballs till the weekend when my shift gets 'stuck' processing it so it gets completed before the next work week.

I will always prefer quality over quantity/speed cause it just makes it easier for everyone, not just yourself.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

We're going to start grocery order picking next month. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah the friend who called me out was mostly giving me poo poo because she is very much a better box packer than me (and that was before I started getting indirect roles so I got out of practice). She's one of the best at the art of "creatively not giving a gently caress".

The other day she was working on some vendor returns. When she finished up early she walked around the last half hour of the shift wondering if anyone would notice the hand scanner she was using to "work" didn't even have a battery in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Aardvark posted:

We're going to start grocery order picking next month. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

For curbside? Is that bad? I use curbside. Am I the problem? :ohdear: