Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Takoluka posted:

For curbside? Is that bad? I use curbside. Am I the problem? :ohdear:

For in-store and curbside. Our grocery counts are always off for ~reasons~, so that is going to make it hard. Also from what I've heard from other stores, there are items Target.com will assume we always have no matter what, so guests can order things we do not have. Like say we never sell kiwis, so we stopped getting them on our FDC trucks. Well, too bad you "have it."

Also knowing the Karens at my store, there will be a lot of complaints that "Oh this apple/meat/etc isn't what I would pick.

Oh I should add, we're starting to do cooler/freezer grocery. We've been doing dry grocery forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I did a brief stint picking online orders for this department store end of last year and it wasn't a good time. Inventory stock on hand is always 100% cooked no matter what. It could be a day after stocktake and it's out the window.
I ended up just chilling out the back dropping pallets for other pickers that didn't have a fork for poo poo that wasn't on the shop floor.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The Aardvark posted:

Also knowing the Karens at my store, there will be a lot of complaints that "Oh this apple/meat/etc isn't what I would pick.

Yeah this right here is the intractable problem with picking online orders.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

The Aardvark posted:

We're going to start grocery order picking next month. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

my wife used to work at one of your stores as sfs/bopis and one of her former coworkers mentioned this/the perishables and the first thing I said was WHERE THE gently caress ARE THEY GONNA PUT IT

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

snoo posted:

my wife used to work at one of your stores as sfs/bopis and one of her former coworkers mentioned this/the perishables and the first thing I said was WHERE THE gently caress ARE THEY GONNA PUT IT

In The Back. Duh :downs:

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

snoo posted:

They're installing coolers/freezers across from our Guest Service area, so a small space becomes even smaller in TYOOL Covid.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

The Aardvark posted:

They're installing coolers/freezers across from our Guest Service area, so a small space becomes even smaller in TYOOL Covid.

my second question was "what happens when they run out of cold space" :whitewater:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah this right here is the intractable problem with picking online orders.

Yeah see this is why I'm no longer fit for customer service. Younger me would have blubbered and stuttered.

Current me has no fucks to give left, only spite and bitterness. I'd probably just tell them "This is what you paid me to get for you. If you do not like our service, next time shop for yourself."

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Out of the business for 12 weeks minimum to care for my terminally ill father. Solidarity with all of you still on the front lines.

The Lord Bude posted:

People who think the only metric of performance or the most important metric are how quickly you can do something are annoying as gently caress. They invariably do a poo poo job at everything because they’re fixated on showing off a meaningless number which creates more work for people around them.

This very specifically pisses me off in my role. Fixing gaps with extant stock records can take some time, and discovering that the error comes down to poor fill quality or shelf standards is infuriating.

Reporting these errors to line managers can be doubly infuriating because you're typically met with "my team worked SO MUCH STOCK yesterday!". Like, yeah, fine, but maybe they can slow down a bit and put it in the right place or not overfill and gently caress over the ability to even put a line out?

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
If there's empty shelf space I'm opening up another 12 facings so I don't have any overstock. This is the way.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Never overfill something into the wrong place unless you're sure it'll be gone by the time the real product for that spot comes in.

This is one of my big 3 stocking rules.
(The other two are "for gently caress's sake, it's not difficult to set things down right side up" and "don't open a case unless you plan to stock the entire thing")

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

ErKeL posted:

I did a brief stint picking online orders for this department store end of last year and it wasn't a good time. Inventory stock on hand is always 100% cooked no matter what. It could be a day after stocktake and it's out the window.
I ended up just chilling out the back dropping pallets for other pickers that didn't have a fork for poo poo that wasn't on the shop floor.

I spent a few years being the guy that was responsible for inventory accuracy, at a builders' merchants.

When the store didn't do deliveries, it was quite easy to investigate any huge stock losses.

When the store did do deliveries, I would spend 1-3 hours counting the required items for that day, 1-2 hours searching the warehouse for overstocks, and 5-??? hours investigating issues afterwards. It was loving bedlam.

One specific issue ended up being caused by a bug in the system where if someone purchased the goods online for delivery while end-of-day was running, the system would take the value off the live Stock On Hand, but not the SOH presented to you on your count sheet the following day. This would persist up until 23:59. Not a huge problem Monday-Saturday when this would be late at night, but a huge problem on a Sunday when end-of-day finished at 5pm.

The company ultimately decided that the best way to deal with these issues was to eliminate the stock counters' position and leave store colleagues to do it themselves, whilst also introducing home deliveries and store collections from every store. The SOH is now completely hosed everywhere.

Whee retail.

Thank gently caress I'm out of it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

cephalopods posted:

Never overfill something into the wrong place unless you're sure it'll be gone by the time the real product for that spot comes in.

(The other two are "for gently caress's sake, it's not difficult to set things down right side up" and "don't open a case unless you plan to stock the entire thing")

Yeah, it really depends. Like if you know the poo poo ain't coming gently caress it, fill it. If you know you're going to be selling, gently caress it, fill it. If you know you've only got one or two and you're desperate to get rid of as much backstock as possible, gently caress it, fill it.

*Level of 'gently caress it' subject to change with duration of shelf-life.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

cephalopods posted:

In my company it's don't over fill, ever, for any reason, the end. Aside from the problems it causes with customers who end up getting stuff for a discount or even free because it was sitting in front of the wrong ticket; overfilling hides problems. If there's a gap somewhere you want it to be obvious so you can see it, and investigate to find out why the product is missing and rectify the issue. So our policy is to leave the space empty and slap a 'this product is temporarily unavailable sticker on the ticket.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Weekly grocery run this morning: Se some young, healthy guy walking around with his nose sticking out over his mask. Not five feet away some geezer with a Trump/Pence mask is actually wearing his mask properly.

And then attempts at social distancing were massively hampered by all the checkout lines backed up to the point they extended into the aisles.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

I mean yeah I'll happily fill every hole on the salad wall with the 89 cent bags of garden salad (if we have it-- pretty sure it's a loss leader) rather than put the correct stuff up. I actually do this every single time we have sufficient quantities and nobody's ever said anything about it.
Because it always sells before morning.
But I no longer tell newer hires to do similar things because they'll find a way to misunderstand me and, for example, overstock some weird $12 kombucha/vinegar blend to such an extreme degree that we can't stock apple cider for weeks afterwards

Anyway we've abruptly shifted from the paper inventory book to doing all inventories and orders directly on the bluebird handsets (trash android phones running lovely in-house apps).
On a night with a stock level like tonight's it would normally take me 25-30 minutes to write a full backroom inventory, plus floor inventories and orders for ~25% of the produce department.
Tonight it took me 90 minutes and, assuming it even worked correctly, I think I can bring the process down to about an hour with practice.

Also this means we've lost the ability to duck into the backroom and check the book so we can tell a customer things like "well we've ordered a case of dill every day this week, it's the warehouse that hasn't sent it"

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Being measured on stupid stats and overfilling stock into holes they shouldn't combos together beautifully and really defined my career in retail. I only really ever got measured on how many empty pallets I brought back to the dock when I ran the fill team so I definitely did some serious dodgies that I have no doubt would've pissed off the department's inventory manager all the time. I always got burnt if I listed any excess and I never had the staff to work through a section properly so cutting a million corners was the story of my life.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ErKeL posted:

Being measured on stupid stats and overfilling stock into holes they shouldn't combos together beautifully and really defined my career in retail. I only really ever got measured on how many empty pallets I brought back to the dock when I ran the fill team so I definitely did some serious dodgies that I have no doubt would've pissed off the department's inventory manager all the time. I always got burnt if I listed any excess and I never had the staff to work through a section properly so cutting a million corners was the story of my life.

It’s ironic because excessive quantities of a product that won’t sell usually indicates an error in the inventory number. Returning the case would allow for the inventory manager to potentially investigate and correct the issue, while plugging the product to eliminate the case conceals the problem in addition to creating other problems. A disconnect between stock room and floor is a blight on the ability of a store to function.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

After I got off work last night, I caught a kitten that had been lurking around my house.

But why stop at one?

I am rich with cats.

( Their eyes have been cleaned, they have no wounds, they can see, move under their own power, etc. )

Where do you live? I need kittens.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

EVG posted:

Where do you live that there aren't stray kittens everywhere? Downtown in a metropolis?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

we had a coyote come in and sweep away a lot of stray cats and little chihuahuas last yeah :smith:

totally unrelated except that i got the message at work, but apparently i qualify for a clinical trial re schizophrenia. dare i participate?

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

my company has an obsession with efficiency which would be fine if the numbers actually made sense. It's supposed to take an hour to process two boxes of clothes and it's supposed to take 35 hours to process what they sent us, but we only got in 35 boxes. Yet I'm still supposed to hold people to doing 2 boxes an hour.

It's dumb.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Funktastic posted:

my company has an obsession with efficiency which would be fine if the numbers actually made sense. It's supposed to take an hour to process two boxes of clothes and it's supposed to take 35 hours to process what they sent us, but we only got in 35 boxes. Yet I'm still supposed to hold people to doing 2 boxes an hour.

It's dumb.

Send 'em down my way! We have a poo poo-ton of boxes now!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

EVG posted:

Out Virginia way. Also two of the kittens died I am alternating between thinking about that too much and pretending I'm not thinking about it.

Remaining kittens are doing well. Girl, the grey, is named Ivanova. The black tom is named Font. They've already taken to the litter box and socialization is going well. They come to me when I enter the room and make contact on their own terms and I'm very happy that they're doing very well. :unsmith:

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 11, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Have you taken them to a vet for their vaccinations and whatnot? They look adorable. Are you keeping them or planning on selling/donating?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah I was gonna say that if you haven't already, you might want to check out the foster care thread in whatever they call Pet Island these days. There's a lot of people there with experience and helpful advice in caring for wee kittens. Including the advice I always give to people who find abandoned kittens- they often die and it's not your fault. Mom cats seem to be able to "smell" when things aren't right with babies and will just abandon them to their own devices rather than invest further effort into caring for sick kittens. So lots of times when you find abandoned kittens they already have the cards stacked against them

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Marchegiana posted:

Yeah I was gonna say that if you haven't already, you might want to check out the foster care thread in whatever they call Pet Island these days. There's a lot of people there with experience and helpful advice in caring for wee kittens. Including the advice I always give to people who find abandoned kittens- they often die and it's not your fault. Mom cats seem to be able to "smell" when things aren't right with babies and will just abandon them to their own devices rather than invest further effort into caring for sick kittens. So lots of times when you find abandoned kittens they already have the cards stacked against them

Link

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Our hot water heater quit working yesterday, so our interim DM (while ours is in quarantine) decided closing the cafe was “good enough” and we could continue serving customers through the DT.

I tried to ask the rookie cop that definitely has a thing for me to shut us down but he doesn’t have that authority :rolleyes: okay dude whatever

Anyway, my doggies IVDD is acting up today so I switched shifts to stay home and watch him. He’s so pitiful and won’t bend down to eat so I have to hold food chin level for him to eat. Here’s hoping his one pain med works and I don’t need to take him to the emergency vet! Again!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pentaghastly posted:

Our hot water heater quit working yesterday, so our interim DM (while ours is in quarantine) decided closing the cafe was “good enough” and we could continue serving customers through the DT.

I tried to ask the rookie cop that definitely has a thing for me to shut us down but he doesn’t have that authority :rolleyes: okay dude whatever

Anyway, my doggies IVDD is acting up today so I switched shifts to stay home and watch him. He’s so pitiful and won’t bend down to eat so I have to hold food chin level for him to eat. Here’s hoping his one pain med works and I don’t need to take him to the emergency vet! Again!

Could you place his food on a stool or something?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Tonight's work:
Screaming. Sobbing. Manic giggling.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Have you taken them to a vet for their vaccinations and whatnot? They look adorable. Are you keeping them or planning on selling/donating?

I wouldn't sell an animal I rescued, ever. It would be incredibly immoral. At the end of the day, I just want to make sure they go to a good home.

My partner has already made me aware of the foster thread, and I've been meaning to post in it.It's just that I've got a lot on my plate at the moment, and I don't want both another thing distracting me from my obligations, and I quite honestly don't want to think too hard about the cats for a few days. Maybe that's selfish but there's still a lot of 'stuff' in that particular emotional cyst.

They're fine and medicated though, and I've been listening to information about cats to not gently caress them up. It was really surprising to me how fast the box training went.

My next step is to learn how to incorporate grooming into my interactions with the cats, and after that, figuring out a way to introduce them to other animals. I may have to foster them a while longer ( or keep them ), and with a dog in the house, that's tricky.

Of course the dog is blind, so that adds another degree of difficulty.

Oh and the frozen guy quit so now I'm hip deep in poo poo again while trying to raise two foster kittens, write, and take care of my aging blind pupper. Life is extremely normal and cool atm and I feel no sense of anxiety.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Tonight's work:
Screaming. Sobbing. Manic giggling.

So, pretty routine night?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I wouldn't sell an animal I rescued, ever. It would be incredibly immoral. At the end of the day, I just want to make sure they go to a good home.

My partner has already made me aware of the foster thread, and I've been meaning to post in it.It's just that I've got a lot on my plate at the moment, and I don't want both another thing distracting me from my obligations, and I quite honestly don't want to think too hard about the cats for a few days. Maybe that's selfish but there's still a lot of 'stuff' in that particular emotional cyst.

They're fine and medicated though, and I've been listening to information about cats to not gently caress them up. It was really surprising to me how fast the box training went.

My next step is to learn how to incorporate grooming into my interactions with the cats, and after that, figuring out a way to introduce them to other animals. I may have to foster them a while longer ( or keep them ), and with a dog in the house, that's tricky.

Of course the dog is blind, so that adds another degree of difficulty.

Oh and the frozen guy quit so now I'm hip deep in poo poo again while trying to raise two foster kittens, write, and take care of my aging blind pupper. Life is extremely normal and cool atm and I feel no sense of anxiety.

as previous posters mentioned if you need any advice or just need to vent stop by the foster thread. i currently have 4 dogs and 4 cats that are all foster fails or rescues so i understand how difficult it is to integrate a bunch of animals are.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

So, pretty routine night?

More or less.
-Dayshift left a mess on Main Jackpot that took nearly 3 hours to fully clean up
-We have a massive pile of new hires, enough that they have to peel me off of MJP even with people coming in from back-half shift to train
-The guy they replace me with had no idea what he's doing on MJP, I have to teach him how to miss out totes that are physically empty/virtually full.
-Apparently our shift is the only shift putting overages back into inventory so there's 500 pallets of overage totes just crammed into every nook and cranny around the building.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Just had third coworker test positive for covid in the last two weeks. We have a couple hundred people that work here so not sure how to take it. But we are not slowing the lines that we reopened here a month ago and still have the food court open. Wife's coworkers daycare just had a caretaker test positive too. They've also had two people test positive at her job with a much smaller building and staff, but are still not allowing clients in. Woo, Texas.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My brother tested positive for covid and I live with him. Gonna get on getting tested

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Leal posted:

My brother tested positive for covid and I live with him. Gonna get on getting tested

Sympathies. Take care of yourself; I hope your place is setup that he can actually quarantine properly.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Leal posted:

good luck to you both, produce bro

broduce

e: throwing customers onto the ziggurat for the blessing of the maize god as we speak

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Some highlights from this week's training btw:

-Dude who got "lost" on first break, taking a 50 minute break on his first day. "I was so confused, I didn't see you guys anywhere in the breakroom so I sat there waiting..."
-Lady who showed up 3 hours on her first day and I'm all "Yeah, okay I'll throw her on the pile of people to train and do paperwork for."
-Go to cover the day 2 paperwork/evals for the Ambassador who's not there (he came in from a different shift to do the day 1's) and find that one of the associates he trained didn't show up for his second day. For the first time ever I am actively saddened when someone decided this job wasn't for him. You shall forever be missed Sharkbait. Yes that was his actual name!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Got written up for not verifying partner temperatures and making sure they went through the COVID questionnaire app and a documented coaching for forgetting fridge temps twice the week I was scheduled 8 days in a row during a holiday weekend with call-outs galore :thumbsup:

Almost got a write-up for the deposits being off AGAIN but she decided against it because it would have been my final and I explained to her how IT ACTUALLY WORKS when the safe is off every night and I have to fix it by taking from the deposit.

Add “doling out write-ups” to the ASM job description.