Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Volmarias posted:

Is the meta joke that I don't get it and neither apparently does your office?

Look, I had just come home from a 10+ hour day and thought I would make a dumb post.

However you're also right that it sometimes doesn't get here when the maintenance guy needs it or it all comes over the span of like three days. Even though they all get sent from the same warehouse at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Yesterday was my last day. In the past two weeks I realized I want to leave my boyfriend. So on top of preparing for a new job and training my replacement I’m also trying to find a studio apartment and figure out how to afford life on my own at my new job and plan around when I’m going to leave once I have enough saved up.

And wouldn’t you guess that the past two weeks have been some of the must fun and easy days I’ve worked at Starbucks since I’ve started.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Pentaghastly posted:

Yesterday was my last day. In the past two weeks I realized I want to leave my boyfriend. So on top of preparing for a new job and training my replacement I’m also trying to find a studio apartment and figure out how to afford life on my own at my new job and plan around when I’m going to leave once I have enough saved up.

And wouldn’t you guess that the past two weeks have been some of the must fun and easy days I’ve worked at Starbucks since I’ve started.

Easier to go to work that you hated once you have something to look forward to and have an end date.

That’s a lot at once. Hang in there , you can handle it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Can confirm, your whole outlook on your horror job changes the moment it’s finished and finalized that you are done. Everyone should at least once get to experience the euphoria of really, truly not giving a poo poo.

Best wishes for the future, Penta. There’s every reason for optimism that life will get far better from here!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The real trick is to never give a poo poo to begin with.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Big Taint posted:

The real trick is to never give a poo poo to begin with.

legitimately my themesong.

I spilled the beans after work last night to some of the people I've been training. "But Alky!" they gasped "You're a Learning Ambassador with a vest that means you're all important and stuff!"

To which I replied the only time I give a gently caress is when I'm training other people, and that's more because it's less work to train people right the first time. Otherwise I show up, do my best to not cause any drama because I'm not paid to get angry, and then hit my quotas because I'm not paid to exceed them.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I quit my retail gig a couple years ago after going through hell and wondering why the gently caress I was putting this much effort in, skipping breaks, clocking off and working on.

Actually signed back up for a different store last year as a casual and it's so cruisy now not giving a poo poo since it's not my main job. The whole thing feels completely different and way more chill.

Honestly though I think 99% of these stories depend entirely on how much of a piece of poo poo your managers are. Any decent managers seem to realise what a poo poo show it is and bail off for greener pastures while the dicks are trapped into retail hell and become bitter about where they're at in life.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

I hope I wasn't the only one that immediately expected this exact song

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ErKeL posted:

I quit my retail gig a couple years ago after going through hell and wondering why the gently caress I was putting this much effort in, skipping breaks, clocking off and working on.

Actually signed back up for a different store last year as a casual and it's so cruisy now not giving a poo poo since it's not my main job. The whole thing feels completely different and way more chill.

Honestly though I think 99% of these stories depend entirely on how much of a piece of poo poo your managers are. Any decent managers seem to realise what a poo poo show it is and bail off for greener pastures while the dicks are trapped into retail hell and become bitter about where they're at in life.

I’ve been at my store for nearly 16 years now and there have been some pretty bad periods when we’ve had awful managers (either at store level or my department manager). Having good managers makes a huge difference and I’m lucky my current ones are awesome.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Customer: Is the fitting room closed?

Me: *looks back at the mounds of quarantined stuff and the literal pieces of shelves blocking everywhere but a thin trail to the bathroom* internally: Is ThE fItTiNg RoOm ClOsEd?
Externally:Yes.

(Customer then: Why?)

Best wishes, Penta! You got this!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Today was hosed beyond belief. From the time I started at 12pm; the first opportunity I got to sit down was when I got into my car at 9:30pm. I walked 15km during my shift today.

And now I'm home and I want to drink but all I've got in the house is lime flavoured sparkling water so I'm smashing out can after can of those desperately trying to pretend they're alcoholic.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Drinking one for you.

I start at a brand-new building tomorrow, someone please drink a few for me.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Toraen posted:

Drinking one for you.

I start at a brand-new building tomorrow, someone please drink a few for me.

I can do that! I stocked back up on alcohol today. Trying these newfangled hard seltzers that the kids are talking about. Will report back.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Save me some! I've been working the whole month straight so far (my last day off was August 31st) but my least favorite manager is gonna be gone all this week (and that's a whole bit of poo poo because the schedule was just put up Friday and then changed today).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Let's get some positivity in here. There is these two customers, elderly ladies. One is wheelchair bound and they're nice enough. At least I think so, despite seeing them like 4 times a week for over 5 years I've never actually interacted with them, which is a good customer to me!

Anyway the wheelchair bound lady is eating chips, Lays Original. Always. I never see her without a big bag of chips in her lap. And she is just going to town on them. She pops one, chews, hand already grabbing another chip to put in after she swallows. I'm glad for her, god speed potato chip lady :patriot:

Also I found a place to move and asked a coworker who was gonna do the apples to save the apple boxes instead of baling them. He baled them. I want to strangle bale him.

Leal fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 13, 2020

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
That's me always and I'm sorry. I always agree to save the boxes when a coworker's moving but automation takes over and they're gone before I remember.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Leal posted:

wheelchair bound

Just fyi, the preferred term is "wheelchair user" these days

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Leal posted:

Let's get some positivity in here. There is these two customers, elderly ladies. One is wheelchair bound and they're nice enough. At least I think so, despite seeing them like 4 times a week for over 5 years I've never actually interacted with them, which is a good customer to me!

Anyway the wheelchair bound lady is eating chips, Lays Original. Always. I never see her without a big bag of chips in her lap. And she is just going to town on them. She pops one, chews, hand already grabbing another chip to put in after she swallows. I'm glad for her, god speed potato chip lady :patriot:

Also I found a place to move and asked a coworker who was gonna do the apples to save the apple boxes instead of baling them. He baled them. I want to strangle bale him.

Wheelchair lady is trying to finish the bag before they are done shopping so she can hide the bag and not pay for it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
I'm 100% ok with people just eating poo poo in the store and not paying for it so long as they don't dispose of it in a way that pisses me off. If you aren't making problems for me or other employees do whatever the gently caress you want.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm 100% ok with people just eating poo poo in the store and not paying for it so long as they don't dispose of it in a way that pisses me off. If you aren't making problems for me or other employees do whatever the gently caress you want.

We used to have these... I dunno, "gourmet" fruit roll up things? In my department. Thing is, people would come in, grab them, open them up and eat them/give them to their kid and throw the wrappers on the floor. Or my favorite, lifting produce and throwing the wrapper underneath.

This year we *finally* stopped carrying them cause we made absolutely zero profit off them. Or even make the cost.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I can do that! I stocked back up on alcohol today. Trying these newfangled hard seltzers that the kids are talking about. Will report back.

They're pretty good. I bought a lime flavoured one of each brand at the liquor store, plus a grapfruit and something or other from one of the brands. I feel it's safest with these sorts of things to stick to citrusy flavours. I doubt we have many brands in common between the ones in the US and the ones here but so far I tried a brand called Liberty Coast; which was 3.5% alcohol (courtesy of added vodka) and barely tasted different to the normal non alcoholic sparkling water with added lime flavour that I drink; and a brand called Rain Bird, which at 8% Alcohol and 21% vodka tasted pretty much like a vodka lime & soda. Possibly a tad overkill on the vodka levels.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

More and more employees at my work are not wearing masks or wearing them wrong and it’s making me uneasy. I told my manager (who does wear a mask correctly), but he didn’t seem that interested in doing anything.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Most corporations’ unwritten policy is to not enforce mask wearing. Your SM doesn’t get to make that call, if he tries to enforce the written policy the customer will complain to Corporate and he’ll get a talking-to from the DM about Providing Proper Customer Service.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

But, they said employees.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
That's when you have a family member call corporate and complain as a concerned customer.

Welp got negatives from my past few gov interviews. Ah well. At least I didn't go for that USPS job.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

number 1 snake fan posted:

Just fyi, the preferred term is "wheelchair user" these days

I think it is worth noting that many people who use wheelchairs aren't in them all the time, just when they are fatigued or at risk pf becoming so. (MS and such)

So 'bound' doesn't even make sense if you aren't sure what their condition is.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

VideoTapir posted:

I think it is worth noting that many people who use wheelchairs aren't in them all the time, just when they are fatigued or at risk pf becoming so. (MS and such)

So 'bound' doesn't even make sense if you aren't sure what their condition is.

Truth. A lot of people using wheelchairs can stand up to get something from an upper shelf. They just can't hold it for very long, or it really hurts, or something that requires the wheelchair for normal operations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ah, training new hires again. It's time to inflate the ranks of Amazon drones before Holiday Peak after a year of COVID Peak. Operation Enduring Clusterfuck trundles on.

Favorite moments from today:
-"Oh hey, um, I've never built a box before, is this right?" 3/4 of the small flaps are on the outside, with one of the small flaps half out-half in as if he was trying to fold the flaps shut. At least he asked if he was doing it right?
-One guy slapped a SP00 (barcode label) on a tiny plastic baggie with a pair of earbuds and wires in it and sent it down the line as is. I ask him if I need to go over SIOC (Ship In Own Container) again because he's legitimately been great on that and he goes "Oh, no, it wasn't SIOC, it was an Unknown Box".
-Another guy pulls a volleyball in a loose plastic bag off of the line asking me if we should box stuff like that. "Oh absolutely! Did you see who did this?" I ask since it's not nice to be too upfront about the data dystopia they work in too quickly and how I can find out. "Oh, it was me!" Oh well...again at least you asked if you were doing it right?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

They're pretty good. I bought a lime flavoured one of each brand at the liquor store, plus a grapfruit and something or other from one of the brands. I feel it's safest with these sorts of things to stick to citrusy flavours. I doubt we have many brands in common between the ones in the US and the ones here but so far I tried a brand called Liberty Coast; which was 3.5% alcohol (courtesy of added vodka) and barely tasted different to the normal non alcoholic sparkling water with added lime flavour that I drink; and a brand called Rain Bird, which at 8% Alcohol and 21% vodka tasted pretty much like a vodka lime & soda. Possibly a tad overkill on the vodka levels.

I always have bad experiences with pre-mixed drinks because I live in a state where they're all malt liquor, which is terrible and sucks for mixed drinks.

They're actually pretty good if you buy them somewhere that allows for stores to sell actual liquor. You know, the kind that doesn't taste like backwashed Listerine.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
We had a customer argue with two managers, 1 cashier, and two of our LP guys for 36 minutes about our return policy for quarantine.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

dovetaile posted:

We had a customer argue with two managers, 1 cashier, and two of our LP guys for 36 minutes about our return policy for quarantine.

So which of the 2 managers caved and gave them what they wanted plus a giftcard?

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

So which of the 2 managers caved and gave them what they wanted plus a giftcard?

Neither of them! She walked out without having done her return and the number for corporate.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Fuckit, week is done. Operation Perpetually Enduring Clusterfuck can deal without me for three loving nights.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Fuckit, week is done. Operation Perpetually Enduring Clusterfuck can deal without me for three loving nights.

One of the great advantages of a perpetually enduring clusterfuck is that it will still be there for you when you get back.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

One of the great advantages of a perpetually enduring clusterfuck is that it will still be there for you when you get back.

Well yes, that's Amazon in a nutshell, it's just been moreso than usual this year. :v: I mean there is a small chance back half fucks up and we get a fire and shut down for a week or two of paid time off (has happened before) but otherwise I'll be going back to training a new Smart Packer on Sunday night.

They keep sending me new people to train up in SmartPac (use machine to pack) but they keep sending me people who are fast at packing in other areas, not people who are actually interested so after the first set that were actually interested and are now crushing it I've gotten a string of little old ladies and college girls who are champions at shoving small items in envelopes. However none of them were interested in tossing items into packing machines so they're all terrified of old, beat up packing machines that are actually reasonably safe but sure as hell look and sound like they should have names such as "Chomper" and "Scorchy" and "Ol' Beartrap."

This week the little lady I was training was terrified that the sealing jaws would suddenly shoot up through the plexiglass on top of the machine and chomp her arms like a cross between something out of Transformers and the defibrillator scene from The Thing. Sadly she only got one day of training as we ended up with new hires in the middle of the week so her second day I basically see her set up before running off to welcome some new faces for two nights.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Man.

Aight.

So here's the thing about my job: it's not that bad. The job itself, setting aside the pay, the people that don't wear masks, and everything that isn't directly related to labor? It could be a decent job.

I like always having something to do. I like having some physical work in my job that keeps me moving throughout the day. I like that I get to do a variety of tasks. Most of all? I like being assigned a set of parameters and being set loose to accomplish them, using my best judgment. And I like being able to listen to podcasts, music, scribble in my moleskin.

But a series of other issues compound upon each other to turn what could be an enjoyable job into a panoply of frustration and failure.

If I were to pare away all the stresses of my job to strike at the core of what pisses me off the most, the incompetency masquerading as leadership, the way standards are unevenly applied, the bad corporate policies- it's none of that.

It's the abstraction of labor.

I've worked much worse jobs than this one. I've cleared brush and trees with ax and machete, scraping my arms and hands up good. I've unloaded trucks. I've cut and drilled pipe, had my hands soaked in oil and had myself covered with silvery aluminum burrs that hurt like a thousand bastards when you stepped on them.

But it was nice when you could, at the end of the day, look back and go, I cut that cord of wood, I cleaned that yard, I got rid of all that trash.

Retail makes it feel as if nothing is ever accomplished because it's a house of cards built on a spinning plate, and if an ant so much as farts, you'll be up to your rear end in backstock faster than you can say 'manpower shortage'.

The most you can hope for are co-workers and crew that recognize the things you do and are thankful for them while acknowledging your limitations, and if you ain't got that, you ain't got jack.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Alkydere posted:

I would have thought working for OPEC had better pay and benefits.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My boss sent out an email to everyone, letting us know we have a very short conference call I a little over 2 hours. He won't say what it's about, just assures us that we need to be on there and everything's okay.

Who is taking bets as to what is not okay!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Everything is fine, the quarterly earnings are up! Also you're all fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cowslips Warren posted:

My boss sent out an email to everyone, letting us know we have a very short conference call I a little over 2 hours. He won't say what it's about, just assures us that we need to be on there and everything's okay.

Who is taking bets as to what is not okay!
I'll put :10bux: on "everything".