Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Cowslips Warren posted:

My boss sent out an email to everyone, letting us know we have a very short conference call I a little over 2 hours. He won't say what it's about, just assures us that we need to be on there and everything's okay.

Who is taking bets as to what is not okay!

Someone got coooooo-vid ( a point of contact, y'all get to go for testing ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

My store had a meeting last night to inform all our DMs that their positions are being eliminated. They then informed us that a regional manager was showing up and asked people to stay late to get the store in shape.

No one stayed.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Durendal posted:

My store had a meeting last night to inform all our DMs that their positions are being eliminated. They then informed us that a regional manager was showing up and asked people to stay late to get the store in shape.

No one stayed.

LMAO this is why you tell people to work really good for the regional visit, then fire them after.

For me, it was being told that any furloughed employees will have 60 days to get a new job within the company, then they will be let go with a severance. Most have been furloughed since April.

Me: We have people on furlough?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

one of our union reps was going around the store yesterday asking everyone for their name, then whether they were voting in the upcoming presidential election in-person or by mail, and for whom. this is fine right. totally fine and good, for a union rep to want to know all the details of your vote

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I almost snapped at a poor cashier yesterday, but I kept it in. I was a silent Karen then.

Costco Cashier: Hi would you like to donate to the children's hospital?

Me: No thanks. *in my head: You work for a billion dollar corporation and YOU get paid more than I do. YOU can donate, or better yet, loving Costco can take all the profits from today and donate that!*

I loving hate that poo poo. Do you want to donate to X or Y? NO. I have NO way to verify any of that money goes anywhere!

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

I almost snapped at a poor cashier yesterday, but I kept it in. I was a silent Karen then.

Costco Cashier: Hi would you like to donate to the children's hospital?

Me: No thanks. *in my head: You work for a billion dollar corporation and YOU get paid more than I do. YOU can donate, or better yet, loving Costco can take all the profits from today and donate that!*

I loving hate that poo poo. Do you want to donate to X or Y? NO. I have NO way to verify any of that money goes anywhere!

Yeah that is kind of annoying, but it's not exactly fair to be mad at the cashier for asking for donations. They're told by management to ask and it's possible that they might get in trouble if they don't.

And in Costco's case, I feel more comfortable donating through them because the money goes directly to a local children's hospital rather than some bullshit like the United Way or Red Cross who keeps like half the money donated to them. I haven't checked to see if 100% of the money I donate goes to them, but I refuse to believe that it's impossible to verify with a little research and maybe a couple phone calls.

But I don't get all worked up about being asked for donations. It doesn't really bother me, I just say no thanks and that's the end of it. Costco does it for one month every year, I feel like it happens more often at other grocery stores or drug stores.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Aye Doc posted:

one of our union reps was going around the store yesterday asking everyone for their name, then whether they were voting in the upcoming presidential election in-person or by mail, and for whom. this is fine right. totally fine and good, for a union rep to want to know all the details of your vote

Yeah they should know better than to do this.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I hate it when stores do that. If I want to donate, I'll do it myself. Not through the store so your billionaire owners get a free tax break.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
My favourite is Australia with major retailers selling milk stupidly cheap in a price war, but asking for donations to "help out the dairy farmers affected". Like mate, just buy it for a fair price and charge a fair price.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Called out today (after checking to make sure there'd be coverage) because I haven't had a day off since Aug 31st and oh man I feel so much better.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

man i've been requesting three days off in a row every four to five weeks since about May. that little oasis of time waiting for me does so much good for my spirit, and knowing that it's on the horizon makes it even better.

i highly recommend it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21JMxY-9mDw

I noticed on the schedule this week that literally none of the closers are licensed to use a forklift. Only myself and 3 others are. Two are the openers. For whatever reason the third was put on opening all week. loving rip.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

dovetaile posted:

Called out today (after checking to make sure there'd be coverage) because I haven't had a day off since Aug 31st and oh man I feel so much better.

Why did you bother checking? gently caress that place!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So previously in Pack Singles:
1) Scan tote (square bucket the work comes in)
2) Remove A SINGLE ITEM! THE ITEM IN THINE HANDS SHALL BE SINGULAR, NOT MULTIPLES!
3) Scan the SINGULAR ITEM IN THINE HANDS!
4) Build a box.
5) Place THINE SINGULAR ITEM IN THINE BOX, KNAVE
6) Seal, barcode and toss the box onto the conveyor belt.

Tomorrow in Pack Singles:
We'Re DoInG MuLtIpLe ItEmS iN sInGlEs, IsN't ThAt WaCkY!?

Both my managers, neither who have been here for more than 6 months, are super excited if only because they get to put this in their portfolio when trying to get further promoted. Though I suspect there's at least a little bit of keyfabe going on with the more senior one's excitement because she's been here enough to see how fun these projects can be (including one where she had SO MUCH FUN swapping shifts with the day shift manager for a week).
Me, the bitter veteran that trains people: "Yeah, excited. That's a good way to describe my blood pressure."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
After approximately the 17th shipment this year that arrived significantly later than promised, I'm doing my part to reduce your workload by not ordering stuff from Amazon anymore. Not going to renew Prime when it comes up in January; if I'm going to receive the stuff I order on about the same timetable as ebay, what's the point paying for Prime?

Can't imagine the sweatshop insanity of Amazon DCs this year, and it's probably worse still for the carriers.

Amazon's reached the point now where they're confident enough in their monopoly lock that they no longer feel the need for stuff like, y'know, honesty, or giving a poo poo about customers' needs. Believe it or not, I'm just barely old enough to remember when Walmart was renowned for their extraordinarily good customer service, decades back. That stuff only ever lasts until the company's got its market dominance.

And furthermore

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 21, 2020

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The store manager ordered a 360 piece truck for frozen food because she's a loving moron

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Eric the Mauve posted:

Believe it or not, I'm just barely old enough to remember when Walmart was renowned for their extraordinarily good customer service, decades back. That stuff only ever lasts until the company's got its market dominance.

And furthermore

That's about when Sam Walton died, I wonder if the company going to failchildren had any effect on this.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I might riff about how work is poo poo and why later, but right now, I'm thinking about the response the ASM gave me when I told her I couldn't come into work because my dog died.

I think about how managers talk to each other when things happen. I think about how I'd been out for days 'cause I was up for two days straight, and how shattered and empty I felt by the time he passed. I think about going to sleep at close to 3 or 4 AM only to get woken up by her, calling.

The pause when I told her he died. The significance of it. That pause any retail worker knows, the one that comes when you're telling a manager you're hurt or you're sick and you can't make it, but both of you know the score, the power imbalance, and so long as they don't say 'OK' or acknowledge it, there's a chance you might back down and come in.

I remember deliberately waiting for her to respond before I gave her a sentence about him seizing in my arms. I still remember the sigh of reply, and the, " OK".

For a while I thought I might have been blowing it out of proportion or whatever, but then I'd tell a stranger about what happened, and they'd react like, you know. A human. I had to call the pharmacy to cancel his medication, and when asked why, I told the operator, who expressed genuine sympathy. And it's on my mind because that company sent me a condolence card for my dog that arrived today, along with a letter from a local wildlife rehab center, stating that the vet made a donation in memory of my dog.

And then I think about that call on that morning, my consciousness returning to it like a tongue to a bad tooth, and I want to go into work a little less every day.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I might riff about how work is poo poo and why later, but right now, I'm thinking about the response the ASM gave me when I told her I couldn't come into work because my dog died.

I think about how managers talk to each other when things happen. I think about how I'd been out for days 'cause I was up for two days straight, and how shattered and empty I felt by the time he passed. I think about going to sleep at close to 3 or 4 AM only to get woken up by her, calling.

The pause when I told her he died. The significance of it. That pause any retail worker knows, the one that comes when you're telling a manager you're hurt or you're sick and you can't make it, but both of you know the score, the power imbalance, and so long as they don't say 'OK' or acknowledge it, there's a chance you might back down and come in.

I remember deliberately waiting for her to respond before I gave her a sentence about him seizing in my arms. I still remember the sigh of reply, and the, " OK".

For a while I thought I might have been blowing it out of proportion or whatever, but then I'd tell a stranger about what happened, and they'd react like, you know. A human. I had to call the pharmacy to cancel his medication, and when asked why, I told the operator, who expressed genuine sympathy. And it's on my mind because that company sent me a condolence card for my dog that arrived today, along with a letter from a local wildlife rehab center, stating that the vet made a donation in memory of my dog.

And then I think about that call on that morning, my consciousness returning to it like a tongue to a bad tooth, and I want to go into work a little less every day.

I'm so sorry about your dog, Nerdy. I still remember coming home, a bit over a year ago, for lunch; I was in a rush because I had an appointment for my cat Calhoun after work. I remember calling for her and reminding her of said appointment, went and did a few chores on my lunch break, then went to my room to say goodbye, and found her rigor mortis in her little cat house. She'd be dead since probably 10am or so. And I had an hour left on my shift; I remember putting her in a bag and then into the freezer, going back to work, sitting in my van, hoping for no more calls, and just crying nonstop. I remember calling the vet's office to cancel the appointment and being put on hold several times, after 5-6 minutes I'd hang up and we'd repeat cycle.

I took the next day off. I did not tell my boss why; he was a decent dude, he knew how much I love animals, and he would have, I like to think, not done the Sigh, Okay. But knowing what I know of bosses now, I never tell them anything unless it'll be something like my mom has died. I just take the day off as Sick. Because in most managers, something clicks on in their brain when you say I Need Today Off and that part is the human part. Manager is all that is left.

Oh, in case you were wondering, over an hour later I finally got the vet to cancel the appointment. Rather my mom did, because I couldn't speak anymore, and when the tech asked if she could be put on hold for the second call, she summoned her inner Karen and loving screamed: NO WE WILL NOT BECAUSE OUR CAT IS DEAD, NOW I SWEAR TO GOD CANCEL HER APPOINTMENT OR I WILL BURN YOUR CLINIC TO THE GROUND.

Amazingly they did not put her on hold.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

I tried to call off a shift at a pizza place i worked for because i had unexpectedly had to put my childhood dog down earlier in the day. Not only did they tell me i had to come in, the manager for my shift made fun of me for it the entire 11 hour shift because apparently i was weak for caring about an animal.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

number 1 snake fan posted:

I tried to call off a shift at a pizza place i worked for because i had unexpectedly had to put my childhood dog down earlier in the day. Not only did they tell me i had to come in, the manager for my shift made fun of me for it the entire 11 hour shift because apparently i was weak for caring about an animal.

Did you know that, with enough salt added, it’s really hard to tell ground-up manager from pepperoni?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Sausage is a better bet TBH.

So how old were you when that happened? If a manager told me I "had to" come in when I called put at any point after about 25 I think I would have laughed and said "I won't be in today, let me know if I should bother coming in tomorrow," and left it at that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

After approximately the 17th shipment this year that arrived significantly later than promised, I'm doing my part to reduce your workload by not ordering stuff from Amazon anymore. Not going to renew Prime when it comes up in January; if I'm going to receive the stuff I order on about the same timetable as ebay, what's the point paying for Prime?

Can't imagine the sweatshop insanity of Amazon DCs this year, and it's probably worse still for the carriers.

Amazon's reached the point now where they're confident enough in their monopoly lock that they no longer feel the need for stuff like, y'know, honesty, or giving a poo poo about customers' needs. Believe it or not, I'm just barely old enough to remember when Walmart was renowned for their extraordinarily good customer service, decades back. That stuff only ever lasts until the company's got its market dominance.

And furthermore

While I applaud your goals in order to hopefully strike it to The Man for better wages and conditions for the over worked workers making him the richest bazillionaire in the world, I would like to point out that your delays are less because of callousness or incompetence (at least moreso than usual) and more because we're loving swamped.

Anyways the project started with screaming terror as not only did we have to train our own workers (including 15 people on their 4th total day of work) about the new system but we had people from both AFE departments (the usual multipack people) we had to train as well. Basically you log in, select the new Pack App program, get going. If you pull down a Mix tote you scan an item. Single item shipment? Here's the box have fun. Multi item shipment? Gotta dig through the tote and find the items it calls out.

Here's the fun part: apparently they couldn't make a Pack App program/UI that also worked with purely Singles totes so if you grab a Singles tote and scan it the system has to ask you if you want to switch to Singles mode, and then repeat if you grab a Mix tote.

First 2-3 hours were madness and calmed down. Then after break we had a minor Gender Reveal Event in one of the cardboard compactors which prompted an evacuation. So we sat around for two hours outside in the trailer yard before that was put out only for the damage to be minor enough to be sent back to work for the rest of the shift. From what I hear the problem solve confused people produced never stopped being a mess though.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Amazingly they did not put her on hold.

That sucks. I'm sorry. :smith:

The fact that we never get any time to grieve and that every day and every hour is just go go go gently caress you go go work harder faster go, it's just so dehumanizing. When you're in a good place, it takes the shine off your day. When you're in a bad place, it makes black out of grey. All of our jobs would be so much better and more productive if we just had the basic dignities that workers deserve. Time off. Time to ourselves. More than skeleton crews.

As for grief and anger, I got a bit snippy with the vet myself, when I talked to her the next day. Something that, after having talked to her again, I apologized for. It was just a deeply traumatic event I've still not emotionally or financially recovered from.

Here's one of the last pictures I have of my brave boy, as we left the emergency vet on the first day:

That's him. He's nervous, but aware. Coherent. I can see it in his eyes. I remember him being nervous, coming to my lap. The warmth of his tongue.

I think it's harder because he was so small, twenty pounds of waddle and bone. I remember taking him for walks in the thick drifts of snow, how he'd get too tired to walk, how I'd have to pick him up and carry him home. How after he went blind he had a time time finding his way around outside, but I noticed that when he had his harness and leash on, he didn't hesitate at all. He just charged straight ahead. Realized it was because he trusted me.

I was his seeing-eye person.

number 1 snake fan posted:

I would have completely lost my poo poo, either screaming, crying angry, or just 'I'm talking in that soft monotone voice that mothers and serial killers use'.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. If I saw a boss doing that to someone I worked with, I would not let it happen.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There is a local shock jock on the radio here who thinks people are overall lazy and stupid because they have to work multiple jobs to make ends meet, and he is the biggest dog lover in the world. I used to listen to him and realized that he had several dogs, and every time one of them died over the years I listened, he would take several days off work to grieve. The lack of brainpower he had to realize that most retail workers can barely get a single day off if their human family dies, should not surprise me. But he'd go right back to ranting about how stupid poor people want handouts and they just need to get better jobs. Oh, and how women shouldn't go to work or leave the house when it's raining because all we care about is looking good so we'll spend all day fussing over our hair because of the humidity. And how cat ladies become cat ladies because they are too fat and ugly for men to want to gently caress.

I would like to meet this man face to face one day. I can't imagine how pleasant he is to retail workers.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My cat died Monday morning. About two hours later the vet called to confirm an appointment we had for Tuesday. I got a card signed by a lot of people.

I got laid off Thursday.

I feel ya Nerdy. I do. This job was an upgrade, but it might be time to move on again. Or out of retail altogether. Apply to anything that you could remotely bullshit your way into - aka anything. You're a great writer, if anyone can bullshit their way out of retail, it's you.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

mllaneza posted:

My cat died Monday morning. About two hours later the vet called to confirm an appointment we had for Tuesday. I got a card signed by a lot of people.

I got laid off Thursday.

I feel ya Nerdy. I do. This job was an upgrade, but it might be time to move on again. Or out of retail altogether. Apply to anything that you could remotely bullshit your way into - aka anything. You're a great writer, if anyone can bullshit their way out of retail, it's you.

I'm very sorry for your loss, and very grateful for your kind words. I have been trying to get my poo poo together for a while and I've been working on some stuff on the side, but then, sometimes I just have a day where it's like

welp

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I was his seeing-eye person.
I'm not crying, it's just raining here and someone's cutting onions

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm not crying, it's just raining here and someone's cutting onions

Have a less-sad picture I took last night.

The cats were being clingy but I wanted to gently caress around and stuff. So I turned my hoodie around backwards and improved a cat-baby carrier. Both of them enjoyed it, but figuring out the best way to coax their bodies into a good position to rest in the hood.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I love basically having two sets of bosses. I had to explain things to my bosses in the learning department that while while Learning is the red-headed stepchild of the departments, pushed around by everyone else's needs until our motto has basically become "...Cowabunga it is!" as we jury-rig our plans together from the ruins other departments have left us, there are some parts of the building it doesn't work with.

Yes I know HR didn't tell us until last minute we had new-hires today. Yes I know you need trainers and all the trainers in Singles are in indirect jobs because all of our veterans were promoted and/or accepted transfers to other buildings. No, I can't be pulled off of Jackpot cleaning up the junk on the main tote sorter that is the main artery of the entire building unless you want every Operations manager to be screaming on their radio within 15 minutes. I'll go train when you get me a replacement and said replacement is physically here to relieve me.

End result: they found someone from a less critical role to replace me.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I'm not in frozen food anymore but I poke my head in the freezer now and then.

The department is experiencing difficulties.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

therobit posted:

Sausage is a better bet TBH.

So how old were you when that happened? If a manager told me I "had to" come in when I called put at any point after about 25 I think I would have laughed and said "I won't be in today, let me know if I should bother coming in tomorrow," and left it at that.

I was 19, i don't think i would put up that bs now, nine years later

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

'I'm talking in that soft monotone voice that mothers and serial killers use'.

That's pretty much what i did, i grew up in an emotionally abusive house and I'm autistic so I'm fairly good at withdrawing and blanking people unfortunately

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm not in frozen food anymore but I poke my head in the freezer now and then.

The department is experiencing difficulties.

Man fuuuuuuuUUUUUCK THAT

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At least everything's on a pallet or u-boat, small victories>

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Looks better than the freezer at my old job.

Meanwhile over the weekend two of my coworkers couldn't find the 6 cases of cardstock we received on Friday. The opener found them in plain sight within 30 seconds of walking in yesterday.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Manuel Calavera posted:

At least everything's on a pallet or u-boat, small victories>

Well, provided you are very careful with the U-boats. Some of that stuff looks like it's one sneeze away from falling over.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
A lot of stores don't even want you to have shelving.

YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE LEAN

THERE SHOULD BE 2 CAGES OF OVERSTOCK LEFT PER DAY MAX

*2 weeks later*

WHY ARE THERE 20 CAGES IN HERE?

Then you open the can of worms that is the rest of your department not doing gently caress all if you're not there and only having enough time to work your delivery and not overstock. And you're told to get it sorted. And the cycle continues.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Cowslips Warren posted:

There is a local shock jock on the radio here who thinks people are overall lazy and stupid because they have to work multiple jobs to make ends meet, and he is the biggest dog lover in the world. I used to listen to him and realized that he had several dogs, and every time one of them died over the years I listened, he would take several days off work to grieve. The lack of brainpower he had to realize that most retail workers can barely get a single day off if their human family dies, should not surprise me. But he'd go right back to ranting about how stupid poor people want handouts and they just need to get better jobs. Oh, and how women shouldn't go to work or leave the house when it's raining because all we care about is looking good so we'll spend all day fussing over our hair because of the humidity. And how cat ladies become cat ladies because they are too fat and ugly for men to want to gently caress.

I would like to meet this man face to face one day. I can't imagine how pleasant he is to retail workers.

These people are generally "acting" a part.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

There are some shifts where I only keep myself together because I know everyone around me is breaking down and freaking out just as bad as me or worse.

Tonight was one of those shifts.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Alkydere posted:

There are some shifts where I only keep myself together because I know everyone around me is breaking down and freaking out just as bad as me or worse.

Tonight was one of those shifts.

Must be a day that ends in why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Okay now that I'm awake enough to type coherently-ish... Since the other two people who usually worked it were promoted and moved to a new building, I'm working Main Jackpot on the tote router. The tote router is the massive sorter that sends work coming from our inventory to our outbound's department and as MJP I'm responsible for problem solving work on it while also, with the help of the jam-clear crew, monitoring the health and calling out when one department or another's work is overwhelming the machinery.

Anyways, we know we have new people training in Singles Smalls, which is already kind of hamstrung because the backup Smalls line is under renovations into more SmartPac machines, something Flow (a department run in another entire building, in another entire state) seems to not understand. However it was communicated to Flow at least that we have whole bunch of new people on the line tonight so the rate's not gonna be great so they dial back the Al-Gore-Rythms to compensate, expecting Smalls to hit about 75% of normal.

Only poo poo starts blowing up almost immediately. We're removing work from the line at Jackpot and making massive stacks of totes. Since the stuff is sitting there and not cycling through I can't problem solve it which is important: if there's something hosed up with a bucket-o'-work it keeps recycling on the router and taking up space on an already strained system until it does get solved. So every time we think there's enough space to try to get some of the work on the line I'm problem solving at breakneck pace, literally tossing more complex fuckups aside because I simply don't have time to work through them.

Anyways we're going mad over at the sorter wondering why no one's listening. We call it out on the radio, we call it out over Chime (Amazon IM) keep getting responses and a little movement is made but nothing ever cleans up. We think we're being ignored until we find out what's causing all of this mess.

Turned out they rolled out a new system update for the pack program. Amazon is bringing back pre-shift stand-ups for announcements. Only for social distancing reasons we do this at our stations instead of at the stand-ups. And this required an update to the system for...reasons? Anyways the update hosed something up so packers were constantly being logged out of their stations and having to log right back in. Which is having an obviously detrimental effect on the packers.

You know how I said we were only expected to hit 75% of normal in Smalls tonight? They were hitting closer to 35-40% of normal and the other departments weren't exactly going smoothly either. No wonder the loving tote router was exploding, and no wonder we were barely getting responses back: everyone else was freaking the gently caress out and we were only just one small part of the mess.