Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Rainbow Knight posted:

Kinda bullshit that you get scheduled for a 12hr shift at all imo. 8hr should be the max

I get eight and a half with a lunch, because God forbid I only work for 8 hours flat. Gotta tack that lunch in so it's almost nine hours of your day sunk into the shitter.

What do you mean you aren't going to stay until everything is done? You can't just- oh you're already leaving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The only complaint I have with my job is having to take lunch. gently caress that poo poo

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Soiled Meat

I used to work through my lunches and breaks until it became apparent that there will always be complaints no matter how good you are or how broken you end up. We don't deserve the abuse and since I'm guaranteed things like breaks, lunches, no obligation to work pay my scheduled shift etc I started taking advantage of them. If my bosses can't figure out how to run a business workout abusing their employees maybe they should quit.

Also, I'm not leaving before my scheduled shift ends anyway so it's not like I can shave a half hour off the end anyway.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP
And if you work retail like I work retail
You would also scream like I scream

The real winner is when you get scheduled an extra hour, but instead of an extra hour of being on the clock it comes with an extra half hour of lunch so you're only getting paid an extra 30 minutes to spend an extra hour at work

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Well surely you won't be working that half hour then?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dear assholes over on the RSP (Robotic Storage Platform: i.e. our robotic storage area where inventory is put into/kept and is either removed and sold, or falls out and is run over by robots until its trash): Don't send your half-eaten food on the line and use me as your trash can.
1) Food isn't allowed outside of the break room for a multitude of sanitary and "not getting in the machines" reasons and our breaks aren't that short.
2) You paid for that sandwich from our over-priced commissary, you might as well eat it.
3) Just because you never touched the tote in such a way we can't fine a clear culprit doesn't mean I can't raise a big enough stink with management that your entire department gets a blanket coaching on how not to be disgusting, pissing off all of your co-workers at whoever did this poo poo.
4) I know you have trash-cans right loving there at all of your stations that our cleaning staff regularly empties you lazy poo poo

This goes right up there with hearing someone have to call out, more than once, "Please put on your shoes. OSHA requires you to wear them as part of your PPE at work, and therefore so does Amazon."

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Shades of how Walmart headquarters in bentonville had to post warnings about not making GBS threads in sinks about 10-15 years ago.
E: at HQ, not company-wide.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I realize it was a far easier mess to clean up than a lot of the "legitimate" messes where someone goes "Oh I have a damaged item that's leaking everywhere, I should throw it on the line marked as damaged where it will leak everywhere instead of waiting for someone to come by, seal it and move carry the tote to damageland" but...it's the principal of the thing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Dear assholes over on the RSP (Robotic Storage Platform: i.e. our robotic storage area where inventory is put into/kept and is either removed and sold, or falls out and is run over by robots until its trash): Don't send your half-eaten food on the line and use me as your trash can.
1) Food isn't allowed outside of the break room for a multitude of sanitary and "not getting in the machines" reasons and our breaks aren't that short.
2) You paid for that sandwich from our over-priced commissary, you might as well eat it.
3) Just because you never touched the tote in such a way we can't fine a clear culprit doesn't mean I can't raise a big enough stink with management that your entire department gets a blanket coaching on how not to be disgusting, pissing off all of your co-workers at whoever did this poo poo.
4) I know you have trash-cans right loving there at all of your stations that our cleaning staff regularly empties you lazy poo poo

This goes right up there with hearing someone have to call out, more than once, "Please put on your shoes. OSHA requires you to wear them as part of your PPE at work, and therefore so does Amazon."

No Shirt, No Shoes, No Sandwich!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I think our latest hire is a sterling example of why most leadership at retail is either soft-s sociopathic, or fundamentally broken. Or both. Probably both.

We hired this guy. Older guy. Probably close to twice my age, and he looks it. Unlike me, he's actually an adult in that he's married and has children and a family. I haven't spoken much to him, but he seems like a decent guy. He has no qualms about listening to someone younger than him ( I look younger than I am despite my job's best efforts ), listens. Asks questions. And despite being an old guy, he's still willing to stay late and try to make sure every little thing is correct.

The poor bastard. He still has work ethic.

Recently, his mother's been in the hospital. I closed for him the first time it happened, and the next time I saw him, before he could even say something like 'sorry for making you close', I said, "Hey man- how's your mother? Is she OK?" And then I had a five minute conversation about her with him and told him, hey, it's alright. Don't sweat it. Things happen. You take care of your family. Our new manager didn't even know something had happened to his mother.

Past couple days, he's no-called no-showed twice.

Two different managers complained to me about this. Both times I said, "It's his mother. The guy's not thinking about his job. People don't think normally when that stuff's happening. Don't you get that?"

And both times the reply has been, "Well, yeah, but a phone call would have been nice."

Even from a purely selfish standpoint, this is braindead leadership. We have a hard time recruiting anyone that isn't a seventeen year old kid that doesn't give a gently caress. They finally get someone who cares a little, and they're mad at him because his mother is having a life-threatening emergency. Of course he's not going to call in. Why the gently caress would he? He's probably stressed out, and when his mind turns to his job, it's in the context of oh gently caress am I fired?

If they had any brains, they'd reach out, contact him, and say, look. You're not fired, but we need to know what's going on. You need a week? You can have a week. Just come back. And he'd remember that. He'd remember being treated like a human being, and it would influence every decision he made about work from that point on to some degree or another.

Instead, they'll probably fire him.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

You can't let word get around to your serfs that you treated someone like a human being. Next thing you know they'll be expecting, like, an occasional day off, or to be able to actually leave at their scheduled shift end time, or to not be yelled at because they can't physically be in three places at the same time.

Where would it end? Good gods, would they end up expecting more money???

Your trouble is that you don't think of the big picture. That's why you will always be a serf.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I have declined every offer of leadership not just because I know it's the road to an early grave, but because I would be morally unable to do it. It would turn me into a Stalinist and I'd start building a corporate gulag in my basement.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I have declined every offer of leadership not just because I know it's the road to an early grave, but because I would be morally unable to do it. It would turn me into a Stalinist and I'd start building a corporate gulag in my basement.

I don't see the downside?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Not an empty quote.

Though I would need to use gulag labor to build said basement.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

They fired him today despite the fact that we have two openings in the department that have been vacant for three months. Brilliant.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Surely the salaried management will now step in to fill the gap!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

So, what was it, yesterday that I posted how business needs will dictate everything?

Got asked to do OT today. Stayed over 40 minutes late. Skipped lunch. Had to push ONE order off me, which dispatch did, because it was 8 loving tires, and I already had 4 huge ones, plus an oxygen rack, in the back of my van.

Today, right before I left work, my boss told me that hey, since dispatch likes to load you up with lots of large orders, we are switching your vans, from the one you have driven for about 2 years, to an NV2500. Which is about twice the size of what I drive now. I told her, as politely as I could, that I drove one of those, briefly, before, and had issues seeing safely out over the hood. I do not feel safe in that van. She said I would ride along or have ride alongs with other drivers for a few days because I WILL be driving this van.

I wonder if this is even something to mention to HR. I don't feel safe driving this van. I will, at best, hit some object when trying to back up or get into any number of the insanely small residential or tire stores we frequent. And if I do that more than once, I can't drive anymore for the company.

gently caress.

And to ice it all, get home for a nice steak dinner, and while I am venting to my mom, she leaves the dinner out on the kitchen counter, and one of the cats gets it. Not enough to drag it to the ground, but enough to make a mess.

gently caress.

edit: oh and we have three new drivers starting in a week or so, and she is looking for volunteers to train them! No word about what vans they will drive.

So can any Amazon employees tell me what kind of Amazon warehouse is going up near Glendale AZ because I might need a new job.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 20, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Do you, um, have any understanding of what HR is for?

Nobody should be driving an NV2500 or any other kind of vehicle that size without a special license requiring a significant amount of training. But

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Telling HR will probably not stop it, but having a paper trail of "I do not know if I can safely operate this vehicle for reasons relating to my physical size, I made my management chain aware of this to no effect, I would like a different vehicle so that no incidents occur" will probably be pretty useful if an accident happens and they try to pass any legal buck to you.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Oh they will. Others drive this van just fine, you see. How do you know you can't?

Because I have? And I do not feel safe in it?

But great news! My manager texted me and told me that tomorrow at 8am, one of our trainers will be at my store with the van to help coach me. I was already debating about calling out; instead I will go in and act sick so he sends me home.

What the gently caress is wrong with her, why can't I keep the van I can safely use?

edit: Well gently caress, applying to Amazon as a packer/warehouse drone. There's a new location opening later this year kinda close to me, but the van thing seals it. I handled the loving cameras in the vans, handled being threatened with lost hours or cut hours, I loving survived covid, but forcing me to use another van I don't feel safe driving is loving it.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 20, 2021

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Just keep pushing a decent employee until you shove them off the cliff and then get loving mad at them for quitting, I am a manager.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Your safety is way more important. Good luck finding something else, because that sucks and is incredibly unreasonable. I'd say look into an OSHA filing but lol at that ever doing anything. Probably easier to give your notice at that point.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

So here is what I got.

I can try amazon. The hours seem set and it is about a 20 minute drive from my house. Start over as a new employee.

I can transfer to a store, which means no set hours, having to work weekends again, but a five minute drive from my house. Customer facing bullshit. So still working for same company but no longer as a driver.

Debating about this training tomorrow. The trainer is a good dude, I like him, I wonder if I add to the reason, he might help.

Amazon goons, really, how is it?

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 20, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

-Solid hours, you don't get hosed on those, the system is set corporate-wide. Corporate cares as little for your managers little petty power games of loving with your hours as they do you so they don't get to do it. You get 24 hours advance notice of any overtime.
-You get to manage your own time off. If you have to leave early you can. Usually an hour or two of notice is preferred but emergencies happen
-You do have on-site medical staff but they're mainly there for insurance reasons. In my experience they're absolutely amazing for minor "I have a cramp" or "I twisted my wrist picking up something heavy" stuff as well as keeping you alive until an ambulance gets here (Amazon likes to hire burnt out EMTs for a reason) but in between the two extremes they're rather lousy.
-Your shifts can be anywhere from 8 hours to 10 hours to 12 hours depending on what shift you grab and the facility itself. 4x10 hours sucks but then you have standard 3 day weekends.

How to survive:
-Get used to moving around. You sound like a desk steering wheel toucher and therefore aren't much for being active. I'd suggest starting going for walks and doing some regular squats to get into a shape decent enough you won't just die your first few days
-A good pair of shoes with good insoles
-You will get badgered about rates. Nod and smile and figure out what the really bad people are doing. Be better then them by a safe margin: as long as they're not fired, you're okay to slack off. Especially if you're just generally friendly. Also your first month you really won't be expected to perform that well, especially not your first week as you're still getting over everything
-Watch your time. You only get so much time-off and if your Unpaid Time (which is basically your sick leave) goes negative you will be fired by the HR computer with no human input.
-Drink lots of water.
-Seriously, get a good pair of shoes.

If you're serious, sign up ASAP, but do not quit your job. Amazon will hire anyone right off the bat. They're an equal opportunity employer by which I mean "Can you count past 10 without either removing your shoes or undoing your pants? Your hired." It takes all of 2 whole braincells to walk into that door so you want to get your application in relatively early. Amazon HR will go "You're hired! We'll get you a shift as soon as we can" which involves a lot of "hurry up and wait". I sat there for a month of sitting around playing games as Amazon kept sending me regular e-mails about how I'm still in the system, they were just waiting for a shift. Then I finally got a call going "Hey, we have a position open, it's not the shift you wanted but if you show up tonight..." And in I got. In short: Amazon will just kinda jerk you around and sit you in limbo until you finally get in with little to no notice. I waited a month, some people I know waited 2-3 months.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

So here is what I got.

I can try amazon. The hours seem set and it is about a 20 minute drive from my house. Start over as a new employee.

I can transfer to a store, which means no set hours, having to work weekends again, but a five minute drive from my house. Customer facing bullshit. So still working for same company but no longer as a driver.

Debating about this training tomorrow. The trainer is a good dude, I like him, I wonder if I add to the reason, he might help.

I think you may have to do the transfer to store in the short term? That way you have a job you’re comfortable doing while job searching / applying. That’s my input.

And the question is: if you transfer back to the store, what time does that give you to apply for jobs in the meantime? Has there been some type of work you have been looking to do long term? It may be more long term work, but taking a bit more time buys you more opportunities to see what gigs are out there, some of which may be better than Amazon.

One other thing I would mention: even with the vaccines , I personally think work from home is gonna stay a thing for a while. The statement “oh just work from home” is kind of BA because of course not everyone person/job can do it, I’m just saying that it does open job opportunities to look at while applying. And a lot of entry level data input jobs I could see staying at work at home, so it’s necessarily the “learn to code” dumb solution people say all the time.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you're going to start a new job I will repeat the advice I've given before in this thread, as it's the single most important thing to understand:

The absolute worst mistake you can possibly make is to ever, ever, one single time, let anyone catch you working hard.

This is trickier at Amazon than at most places, but it can still be done. Don't push yourself, ever. If you do, one time, you've just permanently established a new baseline for what will be expected of you 100% of the time.

They'll pressure you and try to trick you into revealing what you're capable of at max effort. Don't. Not Even Once.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Thank you for the info! That explains the "possible start day" I see on the website.

Then the drug test stuff and all that. is the offer valid for employment after I pass that, other than being in limbo?

Edit: I did talk to the manager of the store I could possibly transfer to, she says there is a spot still open and so that's a small good thing, even if she didn't come right out and say she would totally hire me. And surprise surprise to no one, my trainer can't come today for me because we are so busy and overloaded that we can't spare anyone. Another funny news the manager said that we will be having three new hires in the next month, so who wants to help train them even though we have two trainers, and that's their entire job, she insist on farming them out to everyone else.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 20, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oh yeah, if you can pass the spit-swab drug test on the way in you're good to go. It might take a good while though but once you're "hired" you're in the system. Though you're really not actually working for Amazon until your "onboarding" day. Sounds like you're going for a newly built place too, so expect chaos and confusion.

Oh and remember: if you weren't trained to do a job, don't do it. At the very least protest loudly until they get you trained if they insist on you doing it.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Love to have two whole days taken out of my schedule for "payroll". (Also oh my god I am so goddamn sick of running racks. The front end asked me to run the full hummers/silver gobacks and our new store manager is all "don't do that. just run racks". Jesus fuckin christ we don't have any goddamn space for these clothes plus I'm not digging our racks out of the mound of cardboard boxes just to run 'em. They're taller than I am by a good margin and so are the stacks and stacks of boxes.)

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Soiled Meat

Some old guy has been napping for thirty minutes in the only functioning men's room in the store

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 23, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Last night: it's my overtime night, fourth overtime week in a row so I'm grumpy but wanting to stay as long as I can to make money/avoid chipping away at my time off so I could use it later. There is one nice thing about overtime shifts is that the other shift has their own indirect crew so I get to just stand there and pack and not be responsible for anything.

Well other than the fact that the line I'm on has a flaky sensor on the tote line bringing us work so the conveyor's putting too many plastic buckets of work onto the line which is causing issues. It's not too bad at first, just the occasional stuck tote that needs to be knocked straight. But it gets worse and worse as the shift goes on. About 5 hours in it fails and fails hard.

I notice inventory going by without a tote to carry it, look up and notice some tote came off the router on its side and is now jammed into the anti-COVID screens we have on the line so we don't cough on the person packing on the far side of the conveyor belt (we hate these: they do very little but get in the way). Sensor has failed so more and more totes are being pushed into this first one, causing a line of totes to start arching up. I run to unjam it only for a pair of neurons in the back of my head to fire and stop me in my tracks.

"You moron, you absolute idiot!" My brain screams. "You're jam-cleared trained and you remember how you got put on medical leave last time by clearing an active line! Look at that poo poo arching up, that's a giant plastic spring ready to burst! Run back and hit the E-Stop!"

Sure enough the moment I come to a complete halt the spring bursts, sending totes and product flying everywhere. If I hadn't stopped where I did one of the totes would have likely smacked me in the leg hard enough to knock me off my feet. If I had somehow been fast enough to grab onto the totes to jostle and try to clear them the resulting burst would have likely broken something in my hand or arm. So...thanks brain for remembering my training just in time to not hurt myself!

Shift manager runs up and I tell him "Hey it's my overtime shift, I don't want to be here, you know I don't want to be here, and the building just told me it doesn't want me here. I'm going home as soon as we clean this mess up."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

If you LP what I LP
And if you work retail like I work retail
You would also scream like I scream

The other day during lunch some random guy walked up to the break room. When he saw me he went to turn around and when he saw that I was staring at him he said he was here for an interview. Immediately after the cashier manager came up and told me there was another person with them at the bottom of the stairs who had a bag on them. We think what they were trying to do is come into the break room and if no one was there, start searching lockers for phones, wallets and purses. loving scumbags, why don't you just shoplift and leave the loving employees alone?

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rainbow Knight posted:

Some old guy has been napping for thirty minutes in the only functioning men's room in the store

Is he still there? Check if he's breathing! At my last store, we had an old guy walk into the back and never walk out (now he haunts the store).

Silly Burrito
Nov 26, 2007

Set a course for
the flavor quadrant.

dovetaile posted:

Is he still there? Check if he's breathing! At my last store, we had an old guy walk into the back and never walk out (now he haunts the store).

Did he have sex with the clerk's ex-girlfriend?

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Did he have sex with the clerk's ex-girlfriend?

Not as far as I know!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leal posted:

loving scumbags, why don't you just shoplift and leave the loving employees alone?

Going after cash, electronics, medication, and other high value/low volume goods that are likely out of context at your store and thus won't seem weird to your LP if they're out of packaging and/or loose in a bag.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Soiled Meat

dovetaile posted:

He came out after about an hour

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Rainbow Knight posted:

He came out after about an hour

Did he gently caress anyone else on his way out of the store though

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Leal posted:

The other day during lunch some random guy walked up to the break room. When he saw me he went to turn around and when he saw that I was staring at him he said he was here for an interview. Immediately after the cashier manager came up and told me there was another person with them at the bottom of the stairs who had a bag on them. We think what they were trying to do is come into the break room and if no one was there, start searching lockers for phones, wallets and purses. loving scumbags, why don't you just shoplift and leave the loving employees alone?

If it becomes a problem, it's worth noting that the average cheap-o masterlock padlocks are piss-easy to open even if you suck at it. Might be worth seeing what locks are cheap-ish that can't be raked open as easily or just don't keep anything worthwhile in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ahaha, love* to have a clopening but this isn't any normal clopening, oh no, this is an 11:45 close and then come back at 5 AM for 8 loving hours.

*=not love, loathe

I'll miss eating an actual meal for dinner instead of whatever I brought from home/vending machined.