Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
These nine hour shifts are burning me down, down down. Oo. Barracuda.

It wouldn't be as bad if they were later in the day, I guess. Or maybe it would be. Or maybe it's just that the pandemic has made work even more mentally exhausting than it already was.

Sucks to suck, friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Amazon's saying that anyone who's fully vaccinated can start going mask free after the 24th.

Several of us are rather unhappy about it (myself included). Not that it will do much good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Amazon's saying that anyone who's fully vaccinated can start going mask free after the 24th.

Several of us are rather unhappy about it (myself included). Not that it will do much good.

Yup.

After being upset and venting for a few days, I’ve been more and more accepting that it just is what it is, and the US is just going to be completely massless, and we shall see if said pandemic spikes as a result or not.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Duckman2008 posted:

if said pandemic spikes as a result or not.

Lol

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I think it'll depend a lot on the area. My county has about 63% with at least their first dose, and over 50% have both doses. We're *probably* not going to see anything crazy. We also didn't have huge problems with mask wearing, even out in the rural parts of the county where I live.

We're an abnormality though as far as that goes, most counties aren't anywhere even close to that.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Yup.

After being upset and venting for a few days, I’ve been more and more accepting that it just is what it is, and the US is just going to be completely massless, and we shall see if said pandemic spikes as a result or not.

With how lax we are with travel and generally not giving a poo poo while mutations are ongoing and a significant portion of the population remains not only unvaccinated, but is hostile to the idea of any precaution out of sheer pigheaded spite-

It ain't much of an 'if'.

And this ongoing confusion with messaging is going to make people pissed and confused, moreso if/when there's a new surge and we need to mask up again.

My prediction is that we're going to see a time of relative calm ( virus wise ) in the west heading into summer, especially with people being outside more. The people disproportionately impacted in the west are largely marginalized and will continue to be ignored. Number will continue to rise, but it'll fade into the background.

Meanwhile, the virus will continue to mutate and the strains will spread. Our lack of aid to countries most affected ( both in terms of vaccines and in terms of food, medicine, etc ) will deepen the humanitarian crisis and create a perfect environment for the virus to circulate. I doubt it'll get more virulent/nasty than it already is, but that isn't really the main concern. Resistance to the vaccines we have is.

Humans, being what we are, will go, 'mission accomplished' and start breathing easy around fall. And then as flu season comes around, especially with relaxed mask restrictions, people who have already been weakened or compromised due to stress/prior infection/whatever will get kicked in the teeth. From what I've heard, a number of folks are pretty concerned how this year's flu season will go, especially if people are more reluctant to vaccinate against that as well.

There are parallels to the Black Death and Spanish Flu that have me very 'eh'.

These weren't singular events. The Spanish Flu, for instance, hit in three different waves. These things have a way of circulating. It's a lot like pong, only with more death.

It is not cool

Edit: I should empathize my medical knowledge is limited, I am not a doctor, etc. I just study viruses in history and that sort of thing for fun. I'm just not terribly optimistic about the way we've handled things so far.

If you want more concrete info on COVID/viruses in general, I highly recommend This Podcast Will Kill You, a podcast about illnesses, poisons, etc. It's more lighthearted and less technical than you'd think, but plenty informative.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 20, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I will be wearing my masks probably forever. I really enjoyed not getting sick last year from the loving flu or common cold. Plus I got like $200 bucks invested in these fuckers, I'm gonna use them!

....and I got a new facehugger one.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Not that you're wrong to do so, far from it, but you know that wearing your mask protects other assholes who don't wear masks from you more than it protects you from them, right? That is the most infuriating thing.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Canada passes the US in terms of % of 1st dose today :unsmith:

Now let's speed up the 2nd dose and not take off the masks until we hit 75% double dose please k thx for coming to the Canadian Ted talk eh buddy so the retail peeps can be safe

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

This is all correct yes. And when I say IF, I am thinking it is a “when” for sure. It just sucks because we are just gonna go “whelp 500k or more people in the US died, let’s get on with our lives and learn nothing.”

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not that you're wrong to do so, far from it, but you know that wearing your mask protects other assholes who don't wear masks from you more than it protects you from them, right? That is the most infuriating thing.

Yup , and this has been why it was such an infuriating issue from the start.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
It did not. He was very mad at me and I was laughing too hard to say anything.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

It did not. He was very mad at me and I was laughing too hard to say anything.

On average it decreased the amount of pain in the world by being incredibly loving funny, so from a utilitarian perspective, it succeeded. :colbert:

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

So a couple months back we had a very interesting issue with our armored car pickup. Our location was on a Mon and Fri pickup from Garda, but they hadn't showed for 2 weeks. Interesting emails had been sent from the store manager and DM asking what in the gently caress was going on. It got a point where the store manager instructed us baby managers to email some gal at corporate every morning with a status. She started CCing us on her emails to Garda, and it was amusing watching the language go from corporatespeak to "What is going on? This must be handled NOW." Our grand total ended up being something like 60 days worth of deposits sitting in our safe. I actually added it up out of curiosity, it was well over $80,000. Obviously nobody was comfortable sitting on a nice robbery target like that (At a small store).

We eventually saw an email come back from Garda something like "Arrangements have been made, location will be serviced on <date>" I just happened to be the manager that day and got to hand over the metric fuckton of moneybags. I chatted up the pickup person, asking what had been going on. He was more than happy to explain the story.

Apparently what had happened was my city's local Garda depot had almost all their staff walk out. He didn't know why, but I'd guess lovely management. The manager in charge of the depot tried to cover everything up, sending his handful of remaining people out to service high-profile clients, leaving everyone else hanging. He was deflecting any contact from his higher-ups asking why they were getting shitloads of complaints, and managed to keep it going for almost 2 months. Finally either the complaints drifted high enough, or someone found the right contact but some Garda regional boss turned up to check into things and unraveled the whole thing. House was cleaned and Garda had to start sending people out of a depot 2 hours away until the local office got defucked.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Enos Shenk posted:

So a couple months back we had a very interesting issue with our armored car pickup. Our location was on a Mon and Fri pickup from Garda, but they hadn't showed for 2 weeks. Interesting emails had been sent from the store manager and DM asking what in the gently caress was going on. It got a point where the store manager instructed us baby managers to email some gal at corporate every morning with a status. She started CCing us on her emails to Garda, and it was amusing watching the language go from corporatespeak to "What is going on? This must be handled NOW." Our grand total ended up being something like 60 days worth of deposits sitting in our safe. I actually added it up out of curiosity, it was well over $80,000. Obviously nobody was comfortable sitting on a nice robbery target like that (At a small store).

We eventually saw an email come back from Garda something like "Arrangements have been made, location will be serviced on <date>" I just happened to be the manager that day and got to hand over the metric fuckton of moneybags. I chatted up the pickup person, asking what had been going on. He was more than happy to explain the story.

Apparently what had happened was my city's local Garda depot had almost all their staff walk out. He didn't know why, but I'd guess lovely management. The manager in charge of the depot tried to cover everything up, sending his handful of remaining people out to service high-profile clients, leaving everyone else hanging. He was deflecting any contact from his higher-ups asking why they were getting shitloads of complaints, and managed to keep it going for almost 2 months. Finally either the complaints drifted high enough, or someone found the right contact but some Garda regional boss turned up to check into things and unraveled the whole thing. House was cleaned and Garda had to start sending people out of a depot 2 hours away until the local office got defucked.

This seems like the kind of thing that should get a manager extremely fired which is why he probably wasn't

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My old manager in the store was stealing like mad from the store. He only got fired after like...six months of failed audits?

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

My old manager in the store was stealing like mad from the store. He only got fired after like...six months of failed audits?

Our AP guy is spectacularly useless. He's been with the company for like 25 years, the going theory is he has some dirt on higher-ups and they can't get rid of him despite his absolute worthlessness. Entire security camera system down? Eh maybe I'll get on that in a month. Cashier stealing $200 over a couple days where we had done all the investigative work and proved it down to one person? Eh gently caress it, on vacation. Box of dippin dots got entered non-recieved accidently? Better show up at your location and do a 3 hour investigation!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
We're reopening our fitting rooms tomorrow, lol that's gonna be a clusterfuck.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Finally, I've been waiting to take a satisfying dump for months!

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 23, 2021

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Enos Shenk posted:

Our AP guy is spectacularly useless. He's been with the company for like 25 years, the going theory is he has some dirt on higher-ups and they can't get rid of him despite his absolute worthlessness. Entire security camera system down? Eh maybe I'll get on that in a month. Cashier stealing $200 over a couple days where we had done all the investigative work and proved it down to one person? Eh gently caress it, on vacation. Box of dippin dots got entered non-recieved accidently? Better show up at your location and do a 3 hour investigation!

Whom amongst us

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’ve got to say I’m honestly quite proud of the company I work for. This week they announced that from now on everyone in the company is entitled to 2 weeks paid gender affirmation leave.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Finally, I've been waiting to take a satisfying dump for months!

Ah, I see you've visited our location.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fighting Trousers posted:

We're reopening our fitting rooms tomorrow, lol that's gonna be a clusterfuck.

Oh poo poo. Retail or off-retail? Our fitting room opening keeps getting pushed back; last I heard it was like end of June.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Retail - specifically a well-known women's underthings brand.

Corporate's talking a big game about this is going to be a managed roll-out, and only for self-confirmation of size, and only half the rooms will open to maintain distancing, and :words:, but it doesn't matter. Our customers are going to roll in with four armloads of merch, expect to be waited on hand and foot, and generally create a clown show of epic proportions.

Thank god I don't work the sales floor.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I never understood the need for dressing rooms unless it's for kids or something because they grow so fast, but as an adult? Unless you gain or lose a lot of weight, shouldn't most clothes be similar?

That said I am a goon who cares nothing for fashion and all my clothes are a size or two too large. Also in mens' sizes because I want loving pockets on my poo poo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cowslips Warren posted:

I never understood the need for dressing rooms unless it's for kids or something because they grow so fast, but as an adult? Unless you gain or lose a lot of weight, shouldn't most clothes be similar?

That said I am a goon who cares nothing for fashion and all my clothes are a size or two too large. Also in mens' sizes because I want loving pockets on my poo poo.

I dunno what it's like in the rest of the world but in the UK a "size 12" can be wildly different from shop to shop and brand to brand.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
In my experience sizes are completely meaningless and arbitrary except as a way of comparting identical products. Often not just from one brand to another but within a given brand. If you took a look in my closets and drawers you'd find a spread of garments across 5 different sizes, all of which fit me. I suspect it would be even more difficult for women.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Cowslips Warren posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Even within the same store or brand, different lines & styles can fit differently. I walked away from buying shorts at Target last week because I couldn’t try them on & I didn’t feel like doing the buy two sizes & return the one that doesn’t fit thing.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cowslips Warren posted:

Let's discuss this with the pants and shorts I constantly have to put back because there is no inseam size as well, which means that despite the height and waist being "correct", I would be extremely uncomfortable in the worst places to be uncomfortable. There's no good way to know until you try them on, I'm not carrying a ruler when I go clothes shopping to check for adequate yet not visibly excessive crotch size.

There's also very different fit styles. I have put back pants that make my rear end effectively disappear, some things with the right inseam but still inexplicably wrong, and things that just outright don't look good on me, but it isn't obnoxious until I try them on.

Shirts have the exact same problem. I can be relatively confident in eyeballing a t shirt and reading the tag because it's ok if the fit is somewhat too large, but for dressy shirts it's absolutely necessary to try it on first. Oops, sleeves are too slim for even my not exactly huge arms, welp.

The Lord Bude posted:

I suspect it would be even more difficult for women.

I too am thankful that as a dude, this is still much simpler for me in many cases.

quote:

I used to feel this way, and I frequently wear t shirts because Who Gives A poo poo, but it might be worth stopping by YLLS and discussing clothing options. Properly fitting clothes make a huge difference in both your appearance, and your personal self image!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Volmarias posted:

Let's discuss this with the pants and shorts I constantly have to put back because there is no inseam size as well, which means that despite the height and waist being "correct", I would be extremely uncomfortable in the worst places to be uncomfortable. There's no good way to know until you try them on, I'm not carrying a ruler when I go clothes shopping to check for adequate yet not visibly excessive crotch size.

There's also very different fit styles. I have put back pants that make my rear end effectively disappear, some things with the right inseam but still inexplicably wrong, and things that just outright don't look good on me, but it isn't obnoxious until I try them on.

Shirts have the exact same problem. I can be relatively confident in eyeballing a t shirt and reading the tag because it's ok if the fit is somewhat too large, but for dressy shirts it's absolutely necessary to try it on first. Oops, sleeves are too slim for even my not exactly huge arms, welp.

I too am thankful that as a dude, this is still much simpler for me in many cases.

I used to feel this way, and I frequently wear t shirts because Who Gives A poo poo, but it might be worth stopping by YLLS and discussing clothing options. Properly fitting clothes make a huge difference in both your appearance, and your personal self image!

Dress shirts are about the only thing I have issues with the sizing method as a dude. Because collar size should not be the metric by which you decide all the other dimensions of a shirt - I so frequently used to end up with shirts that fit my neck but were way tooong for my arms, or ones that fit my arms but I couldn't do up the top button without throttling myself. Thankfully there are aces that let you specify both but collar size as a standard is weird.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's worth paying extra to have a tailor alter your dress shirts IMO.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's worth paying extra to have a tailor alter your dress shirts IMO.

It's worth paying extra for tailor alterations to any clothing that isn't cheap, the tailor won't charge much (at least mine didn't) and the fit is incredible. If you have formalwear, absolutely get it fitted!

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
What's it like being a retail pharmacy tech? The Walgreen's near me is hiring for one with free training. The pay will probably be around $14 an hour and it'll be a 5 minute drive versus my current 40 minute commute.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
If it's anything like my ex-gf's experience it'll turn you into a horrible bitch

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

waggles posted:

What's it like being a retail pharmacy tech? The Walgreen's near me is hiring for one with free training. The pay will probably be around $14 an hour and it'll be a 5 minute drive versus my current 40 minute commute.

Absolutely loving miserable (depending on your patient base), but decently paid compared to floor slave. Get ready for everything to be your fault, personally, forever. Walgreens is especially terrible after the lean consulting scam they went through a few years back.

That being said, take the training, get the license and the certification, and then you can use that to try and sneak into other, better pharmacies. Hospital pharmacy in particular pays a gently caress of a lot more and you never have to deal with awful garbage patients, just nurses. Aim to complete the Walgreens Senior Pharmacy Technician checklist as soon as possible - the pay increase is significant and it looks better when you're applying to other places.

Retail pharmacy used to be a lot better than it is now. Modern retail pharmacy is a turbogrind, especially for places like Walgreens, where they staff you as pitifully as possible and work techs mostly as cashiers for the never-to-be-sufficiently-damned drive-thru, and then district wonders why prescriptions aren't being filled fast enough, why refill requests aren't being followed up on, why insurance problems aren't being called on, etc.

I guess the thing to remember is that retail pharmacy tech should be a step towards something better, not a destination you want to linger in for too long- pay increases at retail pharmacy are trash and you'll be making the same amount of money as the new guy when you're 10 years in. My wages went up something like 50% when I switched to hospital pharmacy, and that was to the lowest-paying hospital in the region.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah just piling on but you will be horrendously overworked, yelled at all day every day by morons, and blamed for everything by management. It's more intense misery than you get as a basic wage slave, but a lot more money.

Preechr is exactly right, listen to him.

...now that I re-read what I wrote, it sounds just like working at Starbucks (except the more money part). It's Starbucks but with insurance companies involved.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 24, 2021

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Just reposting this here for anyone familiar with Walgreens.

Sent to me the week after I quit with half the staff, and about a month before the other half quit.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the replies, I think I'm going to skip out on applying. I've been having stress related problems so I don't think I'll be a good fit.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

So who else enjoys being called at 11pm to open at 7am the next morning?

I sure do!

(Was originally scheduled 10-6 today)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Kilonum posted:

So who else enjoys being called at 11pm to open at 7am the next morning?

I sure do!

(Was originally scheduled 10-6 today)

Why did you answer your phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Doom Rooster posted:

Why did you answer your phone?

tbh it was less a call and more a text.

Also I was originally scheduled 10-6, instead did 7-3. I wake up at 6ish anyway normally and I live a mile from the store. 39 minutes to get there today including a 20min stop at Dunk's for breakfast. I walked, too nice out not to.

EDIT: If the normal opener also calls out for tomorrow my close turns into an open and my supervisor's mid turns into a close (he can't open due to the earliest time he can drop his kid at daycare).

Also, me when our 11am "sanitize everything" announcement came over the radio: "oh wow it's 11 already?"

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 24, 2021