Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Vice President posted:

Is anyone in here a cop? If you're a cop you have to tell us, it's the law

Yes, it is me, Mr. Police. You've broken the law, but I won't investigate any further if you pay the fine for the crimes you've committed to this point, via iTunes gift cards,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Closer just failed health check.

Now I'm pulling a double.

:smithicide:

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Star Man posted:

Someone breaking into a game store to steal Magic and Polémon singles out of the case already knows what they're getting into.

The thing to do is to be at a big event and just steal someone's backpack and sell whatever's inside. The vendors aren't going to ask where any of it came from. It's why it's recommended to only take what you need at those things and leave whatever you don't plan on selling or trading at your hotel or at home. I think you can get that stuff covered under insurance too.

Years ago when I worked at a trading card shop, this scenario happened. During the middle of the tournament some kid apparently lost track of his binder under a table and it disappeared. Given how busy things were during the tournament and absolutely no conclusive camera footage, there was nothing we could do to help. She insisted that we conduct an illegal search of every bag in the store, which we declined. The oddest thing was she believed that we had cameras under the tables so we needed to check that footage. What even. At that point we just told her that the store was not responsible for lost or stolen property, she couldn't harass other patrons about their bags, and that she would have to call the police herself if she wanted to file a report.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

cherries are in stock which means I get to find discarded cherry pits on our displays for the next few months

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

also I added an important safety message to our safety board

pretty badass TIE fighters if I do say so

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Robbing postal employees on the job or a post office is rare, but it does happen. Doing so gets the United States Postal Inspection Service on your rear end. And they do not gently caress around. They will leave bait for letter carriers on their route to see if the carrier takes it and there are restricted rooms and areas in offices that only inspectors can access from an exterior door of the building. I think only maintenance has a key to those areas, and they can only be in them once a month to clean them.

Before my time at the office I work at now, a clerk was stealing gift cards from letters and stamps out of the safe. Customers were complaining about letters they dropped off never arriving and telling my office what was in them. They came short during a quarterly stamp count, and whoever in management is in charge of stamp counts has to pay out of their own pocket whatever the difference is if there's a shortage. One supervisor had to pay out $900 once. Inspectors set up some cameras in the lobby and in the back of the office to monitor the safes. Once they had what they needed, they paid her a visit when her tour started, had her locker searched, and that was that.

I so much as steal a Subway coupon off a sheet of them that is meant for disposal because it's undeliverable bulk business mail, my rear end is grass if I'm caught. Same for throwing away mail that is deliverable or endorsed or hiding it to keep it from being delivered. If there's some kind of indiscretion and I get a visit from an inspector, I'm supposed to immediately get in touch with my union steward about it. They'll probably try to talk me out of it, but I am allowed to discuss it with my steward first and put the union between me and the inspectors, or else I could lose my job over a mistake made by management.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Vice President posted:

Is anyone in here a cop? If you're a cop you have to tell us, it's the law

These other posters are my wives and/or husbands and you can't compel someone to testify against their spouse(s)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
With everything that's going on right now, I'm not sure what the best time to actually do grocery shopping is. I mean, the Kroger near me opens at 7:00 a.m. so that's before work for a lot of people, but the shelves are usually not very stocked. And after work the store is insanely busy so I have no idea how stocked anything is.

First world problem to the extreme.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Star Man posted:

talking postal

Reminds me of the mailman from when I worked the retail counter at my current job. He dropped the mail off inside every day so we often got a chance to chat, and one day told me about a coworker who was fired and going to jail because she was stopping at a dumpster on her route and throwing away all the junk mailers - either that or she was keeping the junk mailers and using them as packaging for her eBay business or some poo poo. Either way she wasn't delivering the junk mail and got in major trouble.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

D34THROW posted:

Reminds me of the mailman from when I worked the retail counter at my current job. He dropped the mail off inside every day so we often got a chance to chat, and one day told me about a coworker who was fired and going to jail because she was stopping at a dumpster on her route and throwing away all the junk mailers - either that or she was keeping the junk mailers and using them as packaging for her eBay business or some poo poo. Either way she wasn't delivering the junk mail and got in major trouble.

Yeah don't gently caress with the junk mail. Why? Well first reason: just don't gently caress with the mail at all. The second reason: that junk mail actually helps support and subsidizes the Post Office. To get proper, cheap junk-mail rates that the businesses love the post office makes the businesses do all sorts of steps ahead of time that makes it easier and cheaper for the post. It comes out as a net profit for the Post Office and pays a good chunk for the rest of the service.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Cowslips Warren posted:

With everything that's going on right now, I'm not sure what the best time to actually do grocery shopping is. I mean, the Kroger near me opens at 7:00 a.m. so that's before work for a lot of people, but the shelves are usually not very stocked. And after work the store is insanely busy so I have no idea how stocked anything is.

going in the morning is your best bet imo. if something's not on the shelf then it probably doesn't come in.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Rainbow Knight posted:

going in the morning is your best bet imo. if something's not on the shelf then it probably doesn't come in.

I'd normally echo this, except that lately our fresh trucks have been arriving so late that first shift is already gone and dairy/meat/produce end up getting filled piecemeal throughout the afternoon. There's no winning anymore.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Alkydere posted:

Yeah don't gently caress with the junk mail. Why? Well first reason: just don't gently caress with the mail at all. The second reason: that junk mail actually helps support and subsidizes the Post Office. To get proper, cheap junk-mail rates that the businesses love the post office makes the businesses do all sorts of steps ahead of time that makes it easier and cheaper for the post. It comes out as a net profit for the Post Office and pays a good chunk for the rest of the service.

I think USPS barely breaks even on presorted standard mail. Our money's really coming from e-commerce and being a parcel delivery service. As much as every postal worker hates Amazon, it's making us bank.

As much as these old gently caress lifers talk about how junk mail is really revenue, none of us actually like sorting it, delivering it, or disposing of it. It's treated just as sacred as first and second class mail, so we have to attempt to deliver it on good faith. A highway contract carrier in my part of Wyoming just got sentenced to a year of probation for throwing away junk mail.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Around me the best time is Saturday or Sunday after 630 or so. For some reason the grocery stores are usually mostly empty around that time. Any weekday and the store is packed with old people from 8 til 8.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

D34THROW posted:

Should have given her a medal.

The Dutch seem to have some law where they can put up a sticker on their mailbox to say "yes, junk mail please" or "no junk mail please." Obviously we could never annoy the wealthy job creators by doing the same thing, but I would legit pay a monthly service fee to NOT receive junk mail, including junk mail from companies I already have a "business relationship" with like my bank, instead of having to figure out who to contact to make it stop for everyone. Yes, I know about the bulk mail opt out site, for what little value it is when I'm still getting "To: Resident" junk.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
A friend of mine lives in one of four apartments in a converted building of some kind with a parking lot, where there's a dumpster about 100 feet from the mailbox. He commented that it makes it super easy for him to handle his mail--just scoop it out of the mailbox, walk over and deposit it in the dumpster. If only he could just take the numbers off the mailbox and put them on the dumpster he'd save another step!

Outside of tax stuff, Christmas cards in December, and a few birthday cards I get maybe 2 or 3 legitimate things in my mailbox per year. It's 97% unwanted spam that I discard without even looking at it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I don't send a lot of real letters but partially that is because they have been accidentally mistaken for junk mail and thrown out wothout being read.

Same as how calling someone has become pretty impossible of they don't already recognize your number.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Volmarias posted:

Should have given her a medal.

The Dutch seem to have some law where they can put up a sticker on their mailbox to say "yes, junk mail please" or "no junk mail please." Obviously we could never annoy the wealthy job creators by doing the same thing, but I would legit pay a monthly service fee to NOT receive junk mail, including junk mail from companies I already have a "business relationship" with like my bank, instead of having to figure out who to contact to make it stop for everyone. Yes, I know about the bulk mail opt out site, for what little value it is when I'm still getting "To: Resident" junk.

Australia is like that too (at least in my state). If you have a no junk mail sign on you mailbox; they can't leave junk mail there. Same goes for a do not knock sign - If you have one of those on your door, salespeople and the like aren't allowed to contact you. We also have a do not call register, although charities, pollsters and political parties are exempt which makes it kind of pointless.

From what I can gather though, the rules were put in place more to reduce waste than to stop annoying people.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Absolutely love to find out now I can't even sit on the goddamn floor during my absurdly long Fitting Room shifts. Hope his loving knees can handle it when mine give out after a 7-9 hour shift spent entirely standing.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Hey Walmart Goons, help me out. My friend was at a Walmart today, parked over by where customers drive up and park for their deliveries to be brought out, and then she opened her car door she scuffed the paint of the car next to her. At least she's pretty sure she did, the car also had quite a bit of bird poop on the side so white inch could have been that too.

With all the camera signs up, she's freaked out that this would count as an accident. I told her I surely doubt Walmart keeps that close of an eye on their security cameras at least outside the store.

Then again in a covid world, who knows.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 15, 2022

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I don't think anyone is going to have the energy to follow up on a minor thing like that. still, how forcefully is your friend opening car doors? we're they having a flashback to their days in SWAT lol

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rainbow Knight posted:

I don't think anyone is going to have the energy to follow up on a minor thing like that. still, how forcefully is your friend opening car doors? we're they having a flashback to their days in SWAT lol

Just normal opening the door. I told her the chances are very slim the driver even notices, and she said she should have left a note, and I agree she should have, but I don't think going back to leave a note now is going to help anything. Neither is her going back with a can of WD-40 to try and fix the mark, assuming the car is even still there.

She's mostly concerned about all the signs warning about cameras in the parking lot. And in a kind of funny way, she was on her way to pick up her anxiety medication when this happened.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Cameras aren't checked without other evidence to do so so your friend is fine. If they discover a lot of empty shoplifted packages in the stock room they'll review footage to bust a suspect, that kind of thing. Nobody actually watches the entire reel in case they might catch a few wild crimes.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Cowslips Warren posted:

She's mostly concerned about all the signs warning about cameras in the parking lot. And in a kind of funny way, she was on her way to pick up her anxiety medication when this happened.

Two things about that, one, some jurisdictions require signage to be posted informing the public if you have cameras up. If that isn't the case, then if you really intend to watch your camera footage to catch people doing things, you don't tell everyone the cameras are there. Walmart is never looking at parking lot camera footage, it just all goes onto a server somewhere where no one will ever see it unless it's subpoenaed by the police or Walmart's LP staff need to review it for some reason.

Many years ago I worked at a small business where the owner had a camera conspicuously mounted in a corner where almost the entire store was in its field of view. The real camera was well concealed in a different corner, pointed directly at the one area outside the dummy camera's range.

Not quite so many years ago I worked at a different place where the owner told me the conspicuous camera actually isn't running, it's just there to deter theft. Came to find out later it was very much running, so he could use it to keep an eye on the employees.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 15, 2022

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Doomykins posted:

Cameras aren't checked without other evidence to do so so your friend is fine. If they discover a lot of empty shoplifted packages in the stock room they'll review footage to bust a suspect, that kind of thing. Nobody actually watches the entire reel in case they might catch a few wild crimes.

Basically this.

I say this as someone who works in an Amazon Panopticon Fulfillment center: The cameras are there to catch stuff after the fact and no one, not even the most nitpicky of assistant managers, is going to go through proactively looking for stuff to yell at random people about. The aforementioned AssMan might use cameras to e-stalk a favorite punching bag or two, but a customer gently dinging another car won't even register on said AssMan's radar.

I've talked to security at my site and they're all "Yeah we have the cameras, they're not to stop people from doing stupid poo poo. They're for us recommending them to HR after someone gives us a location and timestamp to show them after they did stupid poo poo."

Seriously: customer in parking lot bonking another car with their door on accident won't even register. Store has other poo poo to worry about they'd have to smash someone's windows or tail-lights to even register.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

these customers and their zany antics

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
At every Walmart I've worked at, the outdoor cameras are mostly a suggestion. Our current store can't even read a plate from a car parked directly in front of two cameras stealing car batteries because the quality is so poo poo. At best someone might be able to identify a make/model by the shape of the car.

Plus it's a Walmart lot, I try to park as far away from other cars as possible because otherwise I assume I'll get door dinged by whatever cheap rear end in a top hat parks next to me.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Oh yay, another day of going to work only to find out I'm no longer scheduled for today without any goddamn notice.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Four Amazon drops at my post office this fine Sunday morning.

Four loving drops.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Rainbow Knight posted:

these customers and their zany antics

:airquote: customers :airquote:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Star Man posted:

Four Amazon drops at my post office this fine Sunday morning.

Four loving drops.

Is that...a lot?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

shortspecialbus posted:

Is that...a lot?

My office is the hub office for Amazon Sundays. We deliver UPS Surepost and Amazon parcels on Sunday morning and have carriers from five other offices and ours deliver. It was over three thousand parcels.

There were carriers sitting around and waiting for us clerks to finish scanning everything. Two of us started at 3 am and the other two of us started at 4 am..The carriers came in at 8 am. Most of the UPS was scanned and thrown on Saturday.

Yes, it was a lot.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

D34THROW posted:

:airquote: customers :airquote:

well it wasn't me!

I would have used the veiniest sweet potato I could find :colbert:

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Rainbow Knight posted:

well it wasn't me!

I would have used the veiniest sweet potato I could find :colbert:

Go big or go home

Use a daikon

:dong:

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

PitViper posted:

At every Walmart I've worked at, the outdoor cameras are mostly a suggestion. Our current store can't even read a plate from a car parked directly in front of two cameras stealing car batteries because the quality is so poo poo. At best someone might be able to identify a make/model by the shape of the car.

Plus it's a Walmart lot, I try to park as far away from other cars as possible because otherwise I assume I'll get door dinged by whatever cheap rear end in a top hat parks next to me.

You almost never will have cameras set up to capture license plates in parking lots. Parking lot set ups are rarely done with that in mind, because you have very wide fields of view. For reading plates during the day, you need to be around 65 to 80 pixels per foot. 5 or 6 MP cameras will get you in the ballpark of 30 to 50 ppf for most parking lot set ups because they tend to be very wide fields of view. For license plate capture, generally you use entrances and exits for license plate capture.The fields of view there are a lot smaller and capturing plates is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Aniodia posted:

Go big or go home

Use a daikon

:dong:

i'm getting shamed in here god dang

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

Hey Walmart Goons, help me out. My friend was at a Walmart today, parked over by where customers drive up and park for their deliveries to be brought out, and then she opened her car door she scuffed the paint of the car next to her. At least she's pretty sure she did, the car also had quite a bit of bird poop on the side so white inch could have been that too.

With all the camera signs up, she's freaked out that this would count as an accident. I told her I surely doubt Walmart keeps that close of an eye on their security cameras at least outside the store.

Then again in a covid world, who knows.

Here's my Walmart camera story. Back in probably 2004 or something, I was working as a grocery stocker. Management called a handful of us, all males, to the front of the store. They told us some poo poo was going to go down, and we didn't have to do anything, but just kind of hang around and be a physical presence.

I guess they had spotted a repeat shoplifter come in the building and some assistant manager that wanted to be a hero decided to do a special operation. As the shoplifter comes out the door with whatever he stole, this AM puts the guy in a rear naked choke and they roll around on the ground. The shoplifter starts to try to pull out a knife. There's probably eight of us guys just watching this unfold at the automatic doors. I always wore heavy boots, so I step up right next to where these idiots are rolling around, as do a couple of the other guys. Shoplifter chills out and stops struggling as he realizes that he's in an impossible situation.

Later, one of the managers tells me they were all replaying the footage and laughing at my "don't give a gently caress" expression as I stood inches away from this nonsense.

Nobody checks that poo poo unless they have something they're looking for.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'd spend a lot of time thinking about that AM risking life or death over a Walmart career shoplifter, lol.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Doomykins posted:

I'd spend a lot of time thinking about that AM risking life or death over a Walmart career shoplifter, lol.

That's what longing for the sweet embrace of death looks like. And they got it on film !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Made it two-thirds of the way to work before turning around and going back home. All of the full-time clerks at my post office are off today and the only PSE with a key can't even tell where the road is at her place, and the other has the same issue. I probably would have been the only clerk at that office to work if I had made it and been able to get into the building, because I live in pissing distance of a major road in Pittsburgh and don't have to deal with any slopes.

Sorry to the poor contract truck driver with the Amazon shipment if they've been sitting around and waiting, and I'm sure my postmaster and the rest of management are going to go fuckin postal over the load on Tuesday. We'll just have to deal with it.