Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HookShot posted:

I posted a few pages back about how I would on a semi-regular basis be completely ignored by men in the store, or they would refuse to be served by me and ask to speak to one of the men on the floor.

It happens a LOT, especially in electronics.

They're snubbing you because you are in their field, the one they went to so they didn't have to deal with scary women who intimidate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
On a similar note, a smelly old man came in today and got asked by one of our guys if we could help him. The old man replied that the guy's tits weren't big enough to help him and asked what happened to the lovely young girls in our shop?

He wound up getting assigned to me and getting some extremely cold technical support. oval office.

I also wound up getting a dose of acoustic shock after a phone I was doing a test call on dropped the call then blared its SMS alert tone into my ear. It's nobody's fault but gently caress my ear hurt afterwards. Got sent home to go to the doctor by our sales manager though, she's a bit of a champion.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Had my first real scare working in retail yesterday. Some guy came in trying to return about $50 worth of stuff without a receipt. Normally they will allow this, but not with the amount of things that he had, not with the way he was acting, and a few of the things weren't even available for purchase at our particular store. He got violent and belligerent and started causing a scene. The manager was called but he left in a hurry before the manager could get there to speak with him. That was around 6 or so.
Then while closing, my coordinating manager tells us that we're all going to go together as a group and get the remaining carts from the lot. They weren't able to clear the lot earlier because the guy was driving around, parking, waiting, driving to another spot, parking, waiting. Until the store closed at 10.
I imagine it would be pretty easy to walk into a grocery store and shoot up a bunch of people or just whack off the employees as they're leaving the store. It was a little unsettling, considering how the guy was acting and the fact that he waited around until the store closed.
Creepy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Didn't you call the police?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

silversiren posted:

...or just whack off the employees...

Seems like a pretty friendly guy to me! :v:

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

spankmeister posted:

I did end up calling mall security a few years ago because a customer said "I'm gonna be waitin' fer you" or some such bullshit after I refused to give him a free iPhone case. Not with purchase or anything, he just wanted something free for coming in and wasting my time. I assumed I was being overcautious, but gently caress even having a chance of being beaten/killed over a stupid retail job.

Security didn't have anyone to spare (they were probably all off writing parking tickets in the employee lot :mad:), so one of the cops patrolling around the mall came and checked around the store and the nearby exits. Lo and behold, the rear end in a top hat really was sitting on the ground on the sidewalk between the mall and the parking lot. The cop brought him into the store, asked me if that was the guy, and cuffed him the instant I said 'yes.' I have no idea what specific law he broke (other than, presumably, trespassing), but it was simultaneously gratifying to see him hauled off and terrifying to think what would have happened if I hadn't called.

gently caress the general public. Every single person.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pretty sure threatening is illegal.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Pretty sure threatening is illegal.

It is Illegal from where I from.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
I'm amazed to hear of mall cops being so good at their job. I was at a major shopping mall in Sydney a couple of years back and spotted a guy surreptitiously taking photos of girls and women.

I got one of the food court people to call security, and two gormless idiots came up. I told them what the guy was doing, and they went over to him.

:downs: He denies it, but we told him not to do it anyway.

They walk off, and sure enough the guy starts taking photos again the second they're gone. Then his wife and kids walk up and join him at the table.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
I'm trying to get resume advice again on the resume thread, but if I don't get any responses, anyone here feel qualified to tear into it? It's only a page, not trying to run for president or anything.. (so no scan of my birth certificate either! :downsrim: )

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
This isn't anything that happened to me personally, just read about it in the local paper, but about a month ago there was a woman who worked at a hairdresser in the local mall, where they also pierced ears. I can't remember what the problem was, but the customer had some problem with her, left, called a bunch of friends and had them all waiting for her when she left.

Mall security showed up and called the police, but not before the poor woman had her arm broken by one of the assailants. Then she went back to her manager, who told her she should have offered better customer service, and she quit.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

HookShot posted:

Mall security showed up and called the police, but not before the poor woman had her arm broken by one of the assailants. Then she went back to her manager, who told her she should have offered better customer service, and she quit.

Are there any links to the story? It'd be really satisfying to know if the woman pressed charges against somebody in that situation, either the attackers or her dickhead manager, I don't care which. That's godawful on so many levels.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

miscellaneous14 posted:

Are there any links to the story? It'd be really satisfying to know if the woman pressed charges against somebody in that situation, either the attackers or her dickhead manager, I don't care which. That's godawful on so many levels.
I've tried finding it but can't, it was a local paper so I doubt they keep online archives and since it was in October or so I think, it'd be long gone.

IIRC I THINK she was considering charging the person who actually attacked her, but not her dumbass manager.

Invis
Apr 26, 2010
I work in a liquor store. I had this old guy come in once and he asked if we took "tickets". I didn't know what the hell that meant and he clarified - "can I take something tonight and pay you tomorrow?" Sure have this bottle of whiskey!

I also had a customer, at the end of the night, get pissed off at me because of the way I handled his transaction. I took the money, then bagged his product. He wanted me to bag it first, then take the money. What the gently caress?

My job isn't so bad though, with co-workers and managers both hating bad customers, we stick together. The customer is not always right. In fact the customers are mostly stupid.

Also one of the things I hate about working retail is that you hear the same jokes over and over again. It doesn't scan? It must be free! Would you like a bag? I've already got one... she's at home cooking dinner! Hilarious.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Invis posted:

Also one of the things I hate about working retail is that you hear the same jokes over and over again. It doesn't scan? It must be free!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

HookShot posted:

Then she went back to her manager, who told her she should have offered better customer service, and she quit.

Oh god, retail. You're so predicable. My old manager threatened my job because after a customer at my drive through window said "I'm going to punch you in the face", I shut the window and walked off. She also told me to never call the police again when she found out I had called 911 after seeing the driver drink out of a bottle of liquor with a small child (unrestrained) in the back.

Bad customer service, and all.

:smithicide:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

2508084 posted:

Oh god, retail. You're so predicable. My old manager threatened my job because after a customer at my drive through window said "I'm going to punch you in the face", I shut the window and walked off. She also told me to never call the police again when she found out I had called 911 after seeing the driver drink out of a bottle of liquor with a small child (unrestrained) in the back.

Bad customer service, and all.

:smithicide:

Report your manager. She answers to someone, too. Find out who it is and report her. You cannot be punished for this; it's grounds for the dismissal of the manager if she does punish you.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Dodgeball posted:

Report your manager. She answers to someone, too. Find out who it is and report her. You cannot be punished for this; it's grounds for the dismissal of the manager if she does punish you.

Franchise baby~ The owners don't care as long as the store makes money. I don't work there anymore. You haven't seen my other fast-food-job related posts in this thread? That store committed major health code violations and stayed open. Hell, one of the major things I reported didn't even get investigated. I know this because they post reports of all investigations in the city online and there isn't one. Theres one for the first call I made where they verified with the manager (over the phone) that the store TOTALLY WASN'T committing health code violations and we were totally closed! Despite, you know, not being closed, serving customers food and registering sales all day.

e. Actually thats not COMPLETELY true. When we didn't have any hot water, my shift lead shut us down and told us to serve NOTHING. Then she called the corporate hotline (still have to call corp if its something like that for what to do next) and they said stay shut down (dur). Then she called the area manager to tell her we were closed because we had zero sanitation procedures without hot water. The area manager proceeded to yell at her for shutting down and calling corporate. She then told her to open us back up for business or she'd be looking for a new job. Four different employees could hear her over the phone.

Have I mentioned the time someone left meat out for more than a couple hours? Pop quiz! Did we discard the meat as appropriate by sanitation/federal/pretty much every safety guideline?

gently caress no

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 4, 2011

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Dodgeball posted:

This entire thread should be this image posted over and over. It is perfect.

retail.jpg

Thanks to the magic of computers, when I changed my availability for school, the reason I keep getting scheduled is because it got set to 2012 not 2011. gently caress it, I don't get paid enough for it, I'm just calling out/in late.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's not reallllly retail, but it's still customer service and I thought you guys might get a chuckle out of this: http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/airline-reveals-dumbest-in-flight-questions/story-e6frfq80-1225998671685

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
out of all things

quote:

and even help find a missing glass eye.

I don't think this is unreasonable.

Everything else, yeah.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

That Article posted:

6. What is the capital of Europe?

Brussels.

Sounds like the Australians could stand to do a little research of their own. :colbert:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Fury1671 posted:

This entire thread should be this image posted over and over. It is perfect.

retail.jpg

I was working on a second one before they had to let me go. It was either going to be about people who take too long to get their goddamn money out (99% of time it's a woman with a purse that could double as a Bag-of-Holding from DnD) or people who pay for 4 dollars worth of product with a hundred dollar bill or a check.

\/\/ Not as much as when I was on the other side of the register. My time is worthless, so I don't mind waiting, but I hate to waste the time of others.

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 4, 2011

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Don't you always hate it when some woman is in front of you at the grocery store with a huge cart full of poo poo, then she waits until all the items have been rung up. THEN she proceeds to get out her purse and all coupons and bonus cards or whatever taking like 30 minutes to pay, and THEN she starts packing her poo poo?

:argh:

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
So I'm back at Lidl and we have the scales on the cash registers, so we can weigh the vegetables and such. We also have two types of tomatoes: Finnish tomatoes (pricier) and foreign tomatoes (cheaper) that have vines. The only thing that we can use to differentiate them is that the foreign tomatoes have the vines.

So guess what the customers do! They take off the vines to make the tomatoes weigh less so they'll save money. So they'll rage if I weigh them as the wrong tomato. The vines don't really weigh anything and it really doesn't matter if it's there or not when the weight and price are rounded up.

Shadowofglenn
Jan 29, 2009
What is the general accepted policy on breaking off broccoli stems? Am I a total rear end for doing so? I just throw them away anyways, and that has to be at least 1/4 of the weight of my broccoli.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Pingiivi posted:

So guess what the customers do! They take off the vines to make the tomatoes weigh less so they'll save money. So they'll rage if I weigh them as the wrong tomato. The vines don't really weigh anything and it really doesn't matter if it's there or not when the weight and price are rounded up.

Has your work not put up some kind of "Please do not remove tomato vines" signs to dissuade people from doing this? Seems like it'd save a lot of trouble, even if everyone wouldn't be smart enough to read it.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

miscellaneous14 posted:

Has your work not put up some kind of "Please do not remove tomato vines" signs to dissuade people from doing this? Seems like it'd save a lot of trouble, even if everyone wouldn't be smart enough to read it.
"Oh they don't want us to do this because we save money! WELL I'M GOING TO SAY I FOUND IT LIKE THAT!"

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
We'll dance and we'll play
Now, it's very easy
Come on in
Just take a chance and shake a fin~

miscellaneous14 posted:

You act as if anyone will actually read the sign and/or care. :v:

edit: just like I can read your post! well, my point still stands, even if I am sleep deprived and sick and studying for an organic chemistry exam :haw:

Joonami fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 4, 2011

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

miscellaneous14 posted:

At least some of the customers say what tomatoes they've taken. Even if the vines are still there. It's a small thing to correct, but I need the shift supervisor to come and make the return and then I'll have to weigh them again and all this time the other people in the queue are getting pissed.

e: I really don't care if they do it or not. I'd just prefer if they said what kind of tomatoes they are before and not after the transaction.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I was adamant to my parents that theaters never close unless it's some kind of emergency, and insisted that I'd be working regardless today. Welp, one thing I can give my theater credit for, they know when it's clear that there isn't gonna be much business and that they need to fold for the day; I got called to go home on my way there. At least I got to see the massive amounts of snow covering Texas right now.

Not like I could really do anything to anticipate, they only have one line that goes to the manager's office, and 95% of the time they never answer when I call. :v:

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Joonami posted:

You act as if anyone will actually read the sign and/or care. :v:

I once worked produce, during the summer. We had our endcap of corn. Around the endcap we had THREE trashcans (with at most 2 full before we emptied them) or a large empty watermelon bin to put the empty husks in along with signs informing the guests of such. Guess where the customers put their husks.

Anywhere but the designated trash receptacle

Toasta
Jan 18, 2006
All shall fade to black.

Invis posted:

I work in a liquor store. I had this old guy come in once and he asked if we took "tickets". I didn't know what the hell that meant and he clarified - "can I take something tonight and pay you tomorrow?" Sure have this bottle of whiskey!

I also had a customer, at the end of the night, get pissed off at me because of the way I handled his transaction. I took the money, then bagged his product. He wanted me to bag it first, then take the money. What the gently caress?

My job isn't so bad though, with co-workers and managers both hating bad customers, we stick together. The customer is not always right. In fact the customers are mostly stupid.

Also one of the things I hate about working retail is that you hear the same jokes over and over again. It doesn't scan? It must be free! Would you like a bag? I've already got one... she's at home cooking dinner! Hilarious.

I was a nighttime manager over the summer at a small booze store. Same boat as you where my coworkers, and even the owner, couldn't stand most of the customers. Never really had any issues at that place (though I got out before the college kids came back) so I have no good stories :(

Though, catching fake IDs and having to call the cops when the person wouldn't leave was always fun.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Shadowofglenn posted:

What is the general accepted policy on breaking off broccoli stems? Am I a total rear end for doing so? I just throw them away anyways, and that has to be at least 1/4 of the weight of my broccoli.
My grocery stores have "broccoli crowns" available and whole broccoli available. The crowns are more expensive. The store cannot sell the broken stems you leave behind, so you are getting your product at a lower rate than the store intends to sell that product for.

So yeah, total rear end. If you want to buy just the crowns and the store doesn't sell them that way, make the suggestion to management.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Had the worst prank caller today. Kid was probably 13 or so and sounded pretty shy.

:sun: : Electronics. How can I help you?
:ohdear: : Um, I got ah $250 for christmas and I was wondering what TV's you had that I could buy for that.
:sun: : Well you can buy pretty much all of our 22" TV's for that price
:ohdear: : Do you like...um...have any... like discounts?
:sun: : Well most of our TV's are on sale right now, but other than that we don't have any discounts that I know of
:ohdear: : What if we like... know someone
:sun: : Well if you know an employee who has a discount they can purchase the TV for you and you can pay them back
:ohdear: do...do you want to know my name
:sun: : ...Well sir I can't give you my discount
:ohdear: : do you want to know my name?
:ohdear: : my name is seymore butts *click*

:raise:

It put a smile on my face for the rest of the night at least

Invis
Apr 26, 2010

Toasta posted:

I was a nighttime manager over the summer at a small booze store. Same boat as you where my coworkers, and even the owner, couldn't stand most of the customers. Never really had any issues at that place (though I got out before the college kids came back) so I have no good stories :(

Though, catching fake IDs and having to call the cops when the person wouldn't leave was always fun.

I've got plenty of stories, but I can't remember them all. About fake ID's: My co-worker caught underage kids with some and she confiscated them under my recommendations. I'm just a register guy but I've been there for a while and she is new. I thought it was the right thing to do, but apparently she got in trouble for it, since the cops wouldn't really do anything because they've got more important things to do. Oh well.

Today this crazy guy came in (young fellow with serious mental health issues). He was buying a $4 bottle of wine and started up a conversation.
"Hey can you make it so this transaction doesn't come up on my bank statement please? My dad might get angry" No I can't. If you're not allowed to spend money on alcohol, don't do it.

"Why does the EFTPOS machine take so long to approve the transaction? You know what I think? I think it's the banks. They can control the speed, but they choose to make it slow because they can and because there's so many people in the world. I can't really talk about it though, I'm not allowed. I'm studying philosophy" Okay kiddo.

ChirpChirpCheep
Apr 22, 2008

SpartanIV posted:

:ohdear: : do you want to know my name?
:ohdear: : my name is seymore butts *click*

That's hilarious and adorable at the same time. I can imagine the high fives that took place between his friends after he hung up the phone with you.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

SpartanIV posted:

:ohdear:

I bet Butters got grounded for that one.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

spankmeister posted:

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't know about the guy waiting around until after the store had closed and we had to go get carts. I guess no one had called the police.
The manager "checked" the lot before we went out there and said he was gone, but when I was walking out to my car, the dude was speeding through the parking lot like a maniac. Too late to do anything about it then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slow dive
Mar 13, 2007

Father Lucifer, you never looked so sane.
I rang up a lady who proceeded to complain to me that the guy at the branch 10 miles away had not given her a receipt. Then, when she needed to exchange some shorts for another size, because she didn't have a receipt, she lost $10. She was pretty angry about this.

"That seems like something you should take up with the management at [other store]. I'm sorry it sounds like there was some kind of mix-up, but as per the policy we can only do a return without a receipt at the lowest price that item's been offered for."

She proceeded to re-tell her story to the couple behind her in line, still aggressively angry at the unfairness of it - and rather incoherent, at that, due to a thick accent and not speaking English very well.

"That is unfair, isn't that unfair! Ten dollars!"

"Um," said the lady behind her in line, "Stores tend to like receipts."

She stomped away, leaving me to exchange a 'WTF' look with the other customers. Seriously, I don't know what she expected. Perhaps she thought I worked at the other store too, or I was psychically connected to the guy at that store who reportedly didn't give her a receipt. Actually, the more I think about it, it's BS, if she really kicked up that much of a fuss they should have been able to look up her receipt on the machines if she knew what time she was there and which register she was at.