Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Like lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

They just cannot stop changing our store hours. At least this time they made them actually more convenient for employees, but it’d be nice to have the same hours for more than a month.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rainbow Knight posted:

Sometimes things get so bad that you can't help but laugh at the absurdity. Its like if you listen closely you can hear the cackling of the retail version of The Crypt Keeper.

E: there's a fast food thread? Why is it separate from the retail thread? We're all comrades we should post in the same thread

The Restaurant Thread is Over Here and they're a very cheerful bunch:

Disargeria posted:

Thread title: Get Out

This industry is built on squeezing as much as possible from humans at every level. Blood, sweat, tears, physical wellbeing, and emotional sacrifices are the building blocks of restaurants. It's not about how much you can give to bring success, because there's always more success to find and humans to squeeze more out of. Corporate restaurants are in a race to the bottom, and standalones face intense competition.

Success and happiness are the exception.

I don't say this because I'm mad about restaurants, I say this because I've seen what my fellow cooks and chefs went through. The drugs, the alcohol, the STDs, and the suicide... I almost became a statistic. The grass seems greener on the other side because it really is. There's health insurance and vacation days over here, and I can still feed my family and friends with all the knowledge and skills I picked up. And the money.

Or maybe do supply/vendor stuff or hospitals because those posters seem happier too.

And their trauma is very similar:

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'm still fighting taking a lunch break because I think I'm going to get in trouble. I think I'm behind and slow when everyone is blown away by my performance. The industry causes severe mental damage to anyone in it for long enough.

I post/keep track of both because I'm familiar with/lived through both sets of Trauma.

Also entering the "LOL, Chaos" zone is how I survive Amazon. That and, unlike my old kitchen job, and despite what the motivational poster painted into the wall next to the breakroom says I very much take refuge in being able to say "LOL, no, that's not my job!" as compared to when I worked in a kitchen and poo poo had to get done.

Vaccine update: Get shot, work 10 hours last night, was fine. Go to sleep, wake up, I ache all over and still have my 12 hour overtime shift tonight...

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

My department's normal weekday opener, myself, and the department supervisor all have our second dose on successive Sundays, in that order. All of us have taken the respective Monday off to recover.

Also I'll have less to do in the cash office soon because of changes in our POS system.

I like doing cash office though. Just me, my phone blasting metal, and stacks of cash to count. The only downside is the cash isn't mine.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Update: Drunk Rick did, in fact, call in which means I'm gonna clopen on my day off, on purpose, because it's overtime and I'm hilariously overpaid for this place and I genuinely enjoy working with Cook 2 the Perpetually Late

Laughter in the face of darkness is all we've got sometimes. GM told me a story a while ago about Cook 2 heating up soup by putting the pot in the fryer, which was the first time she got angry as the GM, and I lost my poo poo laughing so hard, partially because I can bring it up to this day and send her into a rant, which is itself funny

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

TheKennedys posted:

Update: Drunk Rick did, in fact, call in which means I'm gonna clopen on my day off, on purpose, because it's overtime and I'm hilariously overpaid for this place and I genuinely enjoy working with Cook 2 the Perpetually Late

Laughter in the face of darkness is all we've got sometimes. GM told me a story a while ago about Cook 2 heating up soup by putting the pot in the fryer, which was the first time she got angry as the GM, and I lost my poo poo laughing so hard, partially because I can bring it up to this day and send her into a rant, which is itself funny

Look some people can figure out something is stupid as gently caress because they've never seen something done a certain way (putting the pot in the fryer to boil soup) and therefore realize that's a bad way to do things.

Some people can figure it out by watching someone else be the example.

Some people have to learn the hard way by being the example. Like by putting a pot of soup in a fryer to boil it. Or in the case of one of my trainees: splice a roll of pack film to the next by taping the end of the used up roll to the shrink-wrap on the outside of the next.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Blew up at one of my supes today, which I kind of feel bad about because I generally like the people I work with. But, like, before I had even clocked in, front end was already trying to pass customers to me. Then, my supervisor wanted me to do more e-learnings for other departments, and it got to the point where I flat told her "I'm not doing more work for the same pay."

Ever since BB let people go, we've just been slammed. I'm currently the only one in the store that does RTS, downstocking, etc. in addition to being our top rev/hour for the past year. If I am in the store, I am working. I have no downtime. I do those other things because RTS and whatnot gives me a few seconds to just ignore customers for a bit, but I'm still getting "Hey, Axel, can you..." over the radios every few minutes.

So, yeah, she got an earful from me, and I think it's only a matter of time until I just... leave. I've been saving up for ages hoping to put some down payment on a rental in another city if I found a job that's actually relevant to my career, but it's at the point where I'm not getting any bites finding stuff remotely. I might just have to sit back and ride on my savings a bit while I find a retail job that's less stressful.

Most of my managers have only ever worked retail, and particularly only ever worked at Best Buy. They don't really get that $15/hr isn't much outside the retail environment. I was making that much before I moved back home to finish my degree, and that job was considerably less stressful than this one. Having to be "on" all the time and drop everything when a manager wants me to help some camo-wearing hillbilly find a $300 laptop is just getting to me. It would be one thing if they could point to my performance dropping, but by almost every metric, I'm the store's top employee and I only work part time.

It just ain't worth it anymore, even for a paycheck.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 15, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Axel Serenity posted:

Blew up at one of my supes today, which I kind of feel bad about because I generally like the people I work with. But, like, before I had even clocked in, front end was already trying to pass customers to me. Then, my supervisor wanted me to do more e-learnings for other departments, and it got to the point where I flat told her "I'm not doing more work for the same pay."

Ever since BB let people go, we've just been slammed. I'm currently the only one in the store that does RTS, downstocking, etc. in addition to being our top rev/hour for the past year. If I am in the store, I am working. I have no downtime. I do those other things because RTS and whatnot gives me a few seconds to just ignore customers for a bit, but I'm still getting "Hey, Axel, can you..." over the radios every few minutes.

So, yeah, she got an earful from me, and I think it's only a matter of time until I just... leave. I've been saving up for ages hoping to put some down payment on a rental in another city if I found a job that's actually relevant to my career, but it's at the point where I'm not getting any bites finding stuff remotely. I might just have to sit back and ride on my savings a bit while I find a retail job that's less stressful.

Most of my managers have only ever worked retail, and particularly only ever worked at Best Buy. They don't really get that $15/hr isn't much outside the retail environment. I was making that much before I moved back home to finish my degree, and that job was considerably less stressful than this one. Having to be "on" all the time and drop everything when a manager wants me to help some camo-wearing hillbilly find a $300 laptop is just getting to me. It would be one thing if they could point to my performance dropping, but by almost every metric, I'm the store's top employee and I only work part time.

It just ain't worth it anymore, even for a paycheck.

That sucks dude.

There’s gotta be tech companies (the standard sample is Apple) that are expanding their call / tech support centers, which are mostly work at home. Having experience doing that poo poo in retail directly translates over.

I was super fortunate and got to transition, and I take calls at home all day. It’s def not much downtime, but hell it beats retail and (for me) pays better.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Funktastic posted:

They just cannot stop changing our store hours. At least this time they made them actually more convenient for employees, but it’d be nice to have the same hours for more than a month.

Oh man, what now?

I had a lady actually tell me today that someone up front said she could come back and try on clothing. Nice try, motherfucker, but I know for a fact no one told you that because our fitting room is still closed~ (And we are All dreading it opening up again. Since we've reopened last year, customers have been way more nasty than Pre-pandemic.)

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone submit a letter of resignation in retail

When I moved on from Save Mart, the store manager asked me to write a resignation letter. She told me she'd had resignation letters written in pencil, on napkins, etc., and that she just wanted something in writing as a formality. I went ahead and did it because when I'd left Portrait Corporation of America (Wal-Mart Portrait Studio) and another large chain grocery store, I'd gotten legal notices in the mail a few months later saying a) 'you're fired because you haven't been to work in a couple of months, nobody remembers that you gave two weeks notice in person and via voicemail and it doesn't matter that we did everything we could to hide our email and mailing addresses,' and b) the LLC that had been my employer in the technical, legal sense had conveniently gone bankrupt and dissolved (so don't bother trying to collect any back wages). Plus, for reasons that no longer make sense to me, I didn't want to burn any bridges at Save Mart.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone submit a letter of resignation in retail.
I've never not done so, it's the proper thing to do, and really two weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Alkydere posted:

Look some people can figure out something is stupid as gently caress because they've never seen something done a certain way (putting the pot in the fryer to boil soup) and therefore realize that's a bad way to do things.

Some people can figure it out by watching someone else be the example.

Some people have to learn the hard way by being the example. Like by putting a pot of soup in a fryer to boil it. Or in the case of one of my trainees: splice a roll of pack film to the next by taping the end of the used up roll to the shrink-wrap on the outside of the next.

And when you can figure out how to be all 3 people in a single shift, they promote you to management!

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Putting the pot in the fryer to cook soup genuinely made me laugh because it's perfectly logical and completely stupid.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Gaius Marius posted:

I've never not done so, it's the proper thing to do, and really two weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things
Counterpoint: "proper" is a two-way street, and you get what you give.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Some lady forgot her mask but I didn't notice til she told me. She was like, "you must think I'm horrible :( " and I'm all :3:

Sometimes customers are pretty okay :unsmith:

Also, how does my phone know "unsmith"?!

e: on the other side of the spectrum is the guy who asks me if the tomatoes are good. Like, how the gently caress should I know? I don't sample everything that comes in.

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 17, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In the continuing saga of my company being a bunch of penny pinch scumbags: More hours cut next week. More hours cut. 1 day of 1 hour cut, 2 days of 2 hours cut and 1 day with 3.5 hours cut. Guess which day of the week didn't get a single hour touched?

Also this puts me at 29 hours. I need 30 to keep my health insurance. Looks like I'll be "accidentally" staying 15 minutes late each day.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My employer has decided to start trialing police style body cams for staff to wear as a security tool. I'm so excited.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

My employer has decided to start trialing police style body cams for staff to wear as a security tool. I'm so excited.

gently caress that.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Oh nice a way for your store to track employees under the guise of security.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Someone will wear it into the bathroom and poo poo will get wild.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Apparently only supervisors will wear them and they won't be always on - the person wearing them has to manually start/stop recording. It's purely to start recording customers when they get abusive/are trying to steal so that footage can be shared with the police/loss prevention.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

not always recording doesn't mean not always on

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That is an amazingly terrible idea and I cannot wait for it to blow up in their faces

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

It's purely to start recording customers when they get abusive/are trying to steal so that footage can be shared with the police/loss prevention.

So I know you’re an optimistic person, but uhhhhhh.....

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Remember that he hails from Australia, a magical fairyland that somehow does not eagerly cheerlead for worker suffering in all cases.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Heeey, Duckman. Sankis from corporate here. I have here... one moment *shuffling paper sounds * I have it listed here that you were in the back for 17 minutes yesterday? As you know, the policy is for a 15. Anyway, you're not in any trouble yet but,

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Sankis posted:

not always recording doesn't mean not always on

If you need to press a button for anything to happen then realistically it’s the same. There are going to be maybe 3 of them in a store, to be used only at the discretion of the person they’re assigned to; and we already have security cameras covering every inch of the store other than the locker rooms and bathroom, this is just to get audio/ a good angle on people’s faces/potentially grab a licence plate if a manager decides to follow a shoplifter out.

They’re also going to be dangling from a lanyard so people can take them off and hand them to someone else if they’re going on break or whatever.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I wish I could have a body cam just so next time management wants to make some remark about my speed, I can show them video proof at sheer volume of utter poo poo we bring in that I have to sort through on nearly every item I restock.

E: Oh and shrink. "You know why shrink has sky rocketed? You're literally buying boxes of rotten poo poo and refuse to send it back for a refund cause you prefer a shelf of poo poo than an empty shelf"

Leal fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 17, 2021

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

We just take photos of that stuff and post it on internal social media by way of complaint.

Speaking of which, the post announcing the camera trial currently has 18 upvotes and 9 downvotes.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 17, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sankis posted:

Heeey, Duckman. Sankis from corporate here. I have here... one moment *shuffling paper sounds * I have it listed here that you were in the back for 17 minutes yesterday? As you know, the policy is for a 15. Anyway, you're not in any trouble yet but,

It's so real I shuddered reading it

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's so real I shuddered reading it

You know what the irony of that is for me ? I work in a call center now (that’s my new work at home gig), so literally every second is tracked by the system. So that *could* happen to me (although they don’t seem that crazy about it, they just want your overall time to be good). I think goal is being logged in 85-90% of your shift. Which has been fine so far.

Now , my job is half commission, so on the plus side , I really don’t have an incentive to take long breaks, every sale adds up, etc.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

If you need to press a button for anything to happen then realistically it’s the same. There are going to be maybe 3 of them in a store, to be used only at the discretion of the person they’re assigned to; and we already have security cameras covering every inch of the store other than the locker rooms and bathroom, this is just to get audio/ a good angle on people’s faces/potentially grab a licence plate if a manager decides to follow a shoplifter out.

They’re also going to be dangling from a lanyard so people can take them off and hand them to someone else if they’re going on break or whatever.

Does it have a wifi connection? Bluetooth? If yes, it can and will be turned on remotely. A hundred percent. It doesn't even have to be a corporate thing. It could be used for any number of things just by people in direct positions of power. It could be used to just spy or stalk or gain personal information, and people will 100% do it because people are people.

You might say it's 'just a trial' but given that capital is increasingly leaning toward using worker surveillance to wring more blood from the stone I believe this to be bullshit.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Police throw a fit because they cannot POSSIBLY wear body cameras because REASONS.

But anyone else? gently caress yeah I wanna see how many times Marcia goes to the bathroom or Steve picks his nose.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Does it have a wifi connection? Bluetooth? If yes, it can and will be turned on remotely. A hundred percent. It doesn't even have to be a corporate thing. It could be used for any number of things just by people in direct positions of power. It could be used to just spy or stalk or gain personal information, and people will 100% do it because people are people.

You might say it's 'just a trial' but given that capital is increasingly leaning toward using worker surveillance to wring more blood from the stone I believe this to be bullshit.

To at least partially address those concerns:

1. It's being introduced as a direct response to staff feedback - we've seen a doubling of serious incidents of abuse towards members of staff by the public over the past year.

2. There are only going to be 2 or 3 of them in a store - they are only for use by management and senior supervisors as a tool to assist in prosecuting customers involved in these incidents - I'll note that preventing staff from being exposed to abuse is part of an employers duty under workplace safety legislation.

3. Staff at store level won't have access to the footage taken, it will be stored securely on servers only accessible to internal security personnel.

4. We already have cameras covering all of the store except for bathrooms and locker rooms. If a manager wanted to 'use worker surveillance to wring more blood from the stone' they could do so very easily - we used to have a store manager who would watch on the cameras when people went on break and page them to their office if they took too long, or phone the front desk from her office to nag at the supervisor if she saw two checkout operators chatting to each other. That store manager was fired as a result of that behaviour when staff complained about it because head office viewed it as bullying/inappropriate use of store surveillance.

Could the technology still technically somehow still be used inappropriately? Sure. But I'm confident that between stricter legislation governing workplaces here/differences in the way Australian businesses are run at least as far as how management/staff interact with each other that it's relatively unlikely to happen and if it does, the person responsible would be disciplined for it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFoWB6LLYJ4

me irl

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
There is one time that I ever genuinely searched the back for something. There was an apocalyptic fire raging in the area and fire crews from around the state were camping in our parking lot. Their eye protection had begun to fail and they were looking for anything that could help. I found about a dozen sets of old motorcycle goggles in a giant box full of crap that I had thrown together to get it off the floor until we could dispose of it a week earlier and they snapped them up.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

yup gonna keep some of those in my back pocket.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Another week, another 12 hour overtime shift tacked on at the end (curse you back-half, why do you have to run 12 hour shifts, and why do we have to work the entire thing?). I wonder if management is more trying to combat overtime by having extra workers in, or trying to fight absenteeism by draining everyone's time off dry.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Kinda bullshit that you get scheduled for a 12hr shift at all imo. 8hr should be the max

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Every day I get asked to do OT. Every loving day. I know we are down people. And I want to help. But then I remember my manager telling us back in January or so that everyone needs to keep on their toes because our schedules and start locations change whenever business needs dictate. Oh, you like working 5 minutes from home? Well we moved your location so now it's 35 minutes. You like having a 8-4pm shift? Well we need more night coverage so it's now 12-8pm, sorry if you got a night job, better quit!

So me working extra might help my manager right now. But she will cast me aside like a piece of trash the second it suits her. Why should I always help her if it won't change "what business needs dictate?"