Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

you get paid overtime for having less than 8 or 10 hours between shifts, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Rainbow Knight posted:

HAHAHAOHWOW.jpg

dovetaile posted:

Ahaha, love* to have a clopening but this isn't any normal clopening, oh no, this is an 11:45 close and then come back at 5 AM for 8 loving hours.

*=not love, loathe

I'll miss eating an actual meal for dinner instead of whatever I brought from home/vending machined.

Automatic call-off, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

HAHAHAOHWOW.jpg

Automatic call-off, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

I'm pretty sure it's Inventory Day but that's usually accompanied by a sign-up sheet.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Rainbow Knight posted:

Are you in Australia with Bude or something? This sounds like something a country that doesn't actively spit on retail workers might do. It certainly sounds like nothing I've ever heard of in the US.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's how it works at costco

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I think Cali has the same law.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
yeah, that's definitely a thing in california, if your employer follows the law

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

shortspecialbus posted:

Are you in Australia with Bude or something? This sounds like something a country that doesn't actively spit on retail workers might do. It certainly sounds like nothing I've ever heard of in the US.

We get overtime if there's less than 12 hours between shifts, so he can't be here.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

shortspecialbus posted:

im in The Golden State of California where at the very least we get compensation (overtime pay) for having less than 10 hours between a shift. It's enough to keep my bosses from doing it and also it's the bare loving minimum

jesus christ I'm so mad now

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

As it happened I stumbled across this article in NYT this morning that touches on it: https://nyti.ms/3u10ybD so I guess it's a thing in NYC or maybe NY as well.

I'm somewhat surprised it exists anywhere over here, it sounds like the sort of thing that would die to lobbying, since workers not being ground to dust would mean that mcdonalds needs to charge $40 for a Cheeseburger or some such.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I do wonder if "At least let the poor workers get some sleep/a shower" is at least slightly harder for the big business lobbyists to fight. After all: they're not paying the worker to go home and sleep.

In other Amazon news: one of my two new managers is moving on (i.e. promoted, they usually last about a year, if not less) another is here being trained and brought up to speed to replace her. Our building is used to train new managers for other buildings so they work here about a year then half are promoted out to other buildings, and the other half promoted up to replace more senior positions that promoted out.

Found him sitting near the end of the Smalls line where everything is packed into envelopes and tossing all of the polybagged items down with frustration. They weren't getting stuck, he was just working out some frustration by giving them a little extra speed down the line. I asked him if he had already learned to hate the polybags and he was all "Yeah, I spent the last three hours last night on the line clearing it, getting it restarted and throwing stuff down the chute by hand."

Oh you sweet summer child. You think it's bad when we only have at most 5 or 6 packers on the line? Just wait until Prime Day when we have a full house and have up to 24 people there!
(BTW for those of you who care: Prime Day is apparently June 20th)

W. D. Basterd
Jul 11, 2016

Alkydere posted:

I do wonder if "At least let the poor workers get some sleep/a shower" is at least slightly harder for the big business lobbyists to fight. After all: they're not paying the worker to go home and sleep.

In other Amazon news: one of my two new managers is moving on (i.e. promoted, they usually last about a year, if not less) another is here being trained and brought up to speed to replace her. Our building is used to train new managers for other buildings so they work here about a year then half are promoted out to other buildings, and the other half promoted up to replace more senior positions that promoted out.

Found him sitting near the end of the Smalls line where everything is packed into envelopes and tossing all of the polybagged items down with frustration. They weren't getting stuck, he was just working out some frustration by giving them a little extra speed down the line. I asked him if he had already learned to hate the polybags and he was all "Yeah, I spent the last three hours last night on the line clearing it, getting it restarted and throwing stuff down the chute by hand."

Oh you sweet summer child. You think it's bad when we only have at most 5 or 6 packers on the line? Just wait until Prime Day when we have a full house and have up to 24 people there!

J

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Alkydere posted:

I will warn my fellow postal workers

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

We're getting our first major update to our POS system in 20 YEARS.

The managers hate it already because it makes more work for them at closing, as they now have to count the tills and create the deposit then, as opposed to having some trusted schmuck (in my store, I am said schmuck) do it the next morning.

I hate it for the same reason. I enjoy doing the deposits. It's an hour of my workday where I do not have to interact with a single customer.

Also, I'm doing the training for it right now. One of the hypothetical situations: customer is paying for 3 lollipops (and only 3 lollipops, so $1.50) from impulse. With a business check. I'm gonna look at that customer funny in the real world.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In the ever continuing saga of my company being a bunch of skinflint fucks: I've noticed a few times this year that we keep running out of clean aprons. Today there was no clean aprons... and none in the bag we put the dirty ones in. I checked bakery and they also didn't have any aprons, I checked where clean aprons are usually dropped off and none there either. I had to grab one from meat department.

They can't even provide us with clean aprons. THEY CAN'T loving GIVE US CLEAN APRONS

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I’m not scheduled for the truck at all next week. Which is strange since I run the stockroom.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Leal posted:

They can't even provide us with clean aprons. THEY CAN'T loving GIVE US CLEAN APRONS

Of course they can. But what have you done to earn that clean apron?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Funktastic posted:

Which is strange since I run the stockroom.

Are you sure? Maybe not any more.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I'm pretty sure that my coworkers blocking this emergency exit every day will get me killed

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Rainbow Knight posted:

I'm pretty sure that my coworkers blocking this emergency exit every day will get me killed

Fire Marshalls will take anonymous tips. And they loving love chewing rear end over poo poo like this.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Trastion posted:

Are you sure? Maybe not any more.

The funny thing is management feeling like it's a threat.

"And from this point forward you shall no longer run the stockroom!"
"Wait, really?"
"Yes! Muahah-"
"WOOOOO! FREEEDOM!"
"Wait, come back here! You're supposed to be upset at the loss of power and prestige, not running around like a loon!"

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

unfortunately i’m still in charge of the stockroom.

Which mostly means I’ll come in 6 hours after the truck and made the put out all the fires I had nothing to do with

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Thomamelas posted:

Fire Marshalls will take anonymous tips. And they loving love chewing rear end over poo poo like this.

I'm legit probably going to do this.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Funktastic posted:

unfortunately i’m still in charge of the stockroom.

Which mostly means I’ll come in 6 hours after the truck and made the put out all the fires I had nothing to do with

It's fine; the approx 3-4k pieces of apparel you'll get a day will help smother those fires.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wow, after 3 weeks of them cutting my wages resulting in me losing over 300 bucks, I finally got a full week next week.

..... Meanwhile all my coworkers in my department get six days of work. I should be annoyed at this, but I'm ok cause the less I have to be in that loving building the better. Also since the openers all get an extra day, they don't need me to come in for an opening shift.

Leal fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 1, 2021

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
7:30 am. Deli counter opens at 8. Given the counter is empty and I’m visibly writing dates on tickets with a bunch of unopened ham etc joints next to me, it’s clear I’m still in the process of setting up.

An old lady walks up (store itself opens at 7), looks at the empty counter, looks confused/mildly annoyed and asks “Have you not got any ham today?”

Only slightly better than the people who see me put one singular tray of meat out, decide “Oh it must be fully open now” despite me putting out ONE THING and start asking for stuff. Why are old people so impatient?? Just let me finish setting up, goddamn

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's because old people can remember a time, long, long ago, when grocery stores were properly staffed.

But history became legend, and legend fades to myth...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

And even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have a feeling that even in the fabled Good Ol' Days™ stores were understaffed on purpose too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Naw man I remember back in the day there were actually baggers to bag the groceries.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Butt Detective posted:

7:30 am. Deli counter opens at 8. Given the counter is empty and I’m visibly writing dates on tickets with a bunch of unopened ham etc joints next to me, it’s clear I’m still in the process of setting up.

An old lady walks up (store itself opens at 7), looks at the empty counter, looks confused/mildly annoyed and asks “Have you not got any ham today?”

Only slightly better than the people who see me put one singular tray of meat out, decide “Oh it must be fully open now” despite me putting out ONE THING and start asking for stuff. Why are old people so impatient?? Just let me finish setting up, goddamn

I was just taking to my department head about how some customers (always older people) are in such a hurry to be imperious turds that they forget to try and figure poo poo out before their gums start flapping

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

silvergoose posted:

And even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again

A wind of obscenities rose above the deli counter. The wind was not the beginning. But it was a beginning.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's because old people can remember a time, long, long ago, when grocery stores were properly staffed.

But history became legend, and legend fades to myth...

Makes me think of the people who come in and ask me 'what sales I have' or 'the thing that was in the flyer ( they never have the flyer'. I don't know. I bounce around the store like a drat pinball and you expect me to know one corner from another?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

shortspecialbus posted:

A wind of obscenities rose above the deli counter. The wind was not the beginning. But it was a beginning.

There are no beginnings or endings to the wheel of customer complaints.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

silvergoose posted:

There are no beginnings or endings to the wheel of customer complaints.

They reach for the source of deli meats but fail while smoothing their dresses and tugging their braids.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

~~~paging lews therin meatslicer to the deli~~~

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lot of nerds in this thread :iia:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
The duality of manhours is getting run at 40 or so every week forever and then getting mad your hours get randomly sliced by a whole day one week but also grateful because gently caress it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Lot of nerds in this thread :iia:

Yes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Gaius Marius posted:

Naw man I remember back in the day there were actually baggers to bag the groceries.

The legend of Bagger, Advance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My store would have the floor clerk help with bagging if the customer is elderly or otherwise would have difficulty bagging stuff.

Unless they were checking out at one particular cashier who I have found memories calling me to help someone bag stuff when the person was the same age as me, had no apparently handicaps and had a god drat 10 year old and 8 year old who could've bagged their 4 bags worth of groceries. I swear this cashier was either power tripping or hoping being so free with having someone bag for the costumer would advance them in some way.