Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Turns out these incompetent morons revealed today that our work phones are unlikely to be online again before Christmas.

How can you gently caress up this hard?

But man, yeah, the dream is to go into some sort of public service. Postal work, working for local government, etc. whether that's pushing paper around or helping people with stuff. I just wanna do something that either helps people or creates things(and no, "number go up" is not a thing that counts as creative work).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Did they literally set the PABX exchange on fire or what

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Coasterphreak posted:

Did they literally set the PABX exchange on fire or what

Apparently our work phones all run via the company intranet, and our network has been pwnz0red so hilariously hard that it takes them about eight hours to re-image each PC in some way that leaves no trail of whatever bullshit the hackers did.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
As of today I no longer work for food 4 less. I'm gonna miss (mostly) everyone that I worked with these past 6 years :smith:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Leal posted:

As of today I no longer work for food 4 less. I'm gonna miss (mostly) everyone that I worked with these past 6 years :smith:

how did management take the news?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Rainbow Knight posted:

i have this sneaking suspicion that grocery stores are closer to death than people are leading on, so it would be nice to have an idea about options that are out there.

Why would you think that? Genuinely curious. I'm not discounting it off-hand, I just don't believe it. Even if the current generation of grocery stores did cease, it would probably just turn into 'dark' stores with locked doors operating akin to warehouses for online shoppers.

The alternative would be building entirely new buildings to serve the same purpose with similar infrastructure over vast areas, and nobody really wants to do that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Why would you think that? Genuinely curious. I'm not discounting it off-hand, I just don't believe it. Even if the current generation of grocery stores did cease, it would probably just turn into 'dark' stores with locked doors operating akin to warehouses for online shoppers.

The alternative would be building entirely new buildings to serve the same purpose with similar infrastructure over vast areas, and nobody really wants to do that.

I do think we're definitely due for some sort of corporate culling as certain chains adapt to changing technological, social and labor market and others go the way of the dodo. COVID was a huge shock to the system and a cultural change.

The grocery store as we know it isn't going to be completely dead but I could definitely see the rise of the "dark" pickup/delivery store.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Am i in the minority that I still prefer to do my own grocery shopping? Now I do work standard hours, don't have kids to haul about or any illness that makes moving about hard (yet?) but I like to get my own poo poo. Of course a lot of it is mark-down stuff that won't show up on a delivery app, but if loving Costco had a pull-up service, I would be down for that poo poo.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think online delivery/click and collect is fine for packaged goods but I always want to buy my own produce/meat/seafood/deli goods etc.

What is cool is that services like click and collect free up time that I can then invest in going to the market/specialty stores or whatnot to buy higher quality produce/bread/meat etc where I once would have bought everything at the supermarket for convenience.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just like to get out of the house and walk around in all kinds of stores. I actually enjoy shopping. It's not like I was doing anything with my time anyway.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I work graveyards and used to do all my grocery shopping at like 3am on my nights off. It was strangely relaxing, and I was a bit sad when my local store stopped being open 24 hours a few years back.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Yeah, grocery shopping in the middle of the night is underrated

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
A popular American perception is that covid is over and grocery stores have been open without limitations for a while now.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Am i in the minority that I still prefer to do my own grocery shopping? Now I do work standard hours, don't have kids to haul about or any illness that makes moving about hard (yet?) but I like to get my own poo poo. Of course a lot of it is mark-down stuff that won't show up on a delivery app, but if loving Costco had a pull-up service, I would be down for that poo poo.

Not at all, there's a reason Amazon keeps trying to get into the food game. People do not want to buy produce and meat sight unseen. Add to it that with online shipping you end up paying for transport instead of the store, people will pretty much never give up the grocery chain. That said a lot of grocery stores got themselves into really lovely situations being sandwiched between discounts like Walmart and dollar general , high ends, and Amazon.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gaius Marius posted:

Not at all, there's a reason Amazon keeps trying to get into the food game. People do not want to buy produce and meat sight unseen. Add to it that with online shipping you end up paying for transport instead of the store, people will pretty much never give up the grocery chain. That said a lot of grocery stores got themselves into really lovely situations being sandwiched between discounts like Walmart and dollar general , high ends, and Amazon.

With my local grocery, I order online and pick up at the store, including produce. If I get bad stuff, they've been great about refunding with a quick phone call.

I would be terrified of doing that with Amazon, since their refund policy is "make it easy to return, and then ban you from Amazon for life when you hit an invisible threshhold"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I don't trust someone getting paid $lol/hr to even grab the right kind of frozen pizza out of the cooler, let alone get bananas that didn't belong in the dumpster yesterday or meat that isn't trying out new color schemes. My roommate keeps ordering groceries from various places and every single time they forget something, get the wrong thing, and/or damage one or more things. Plus, sometimes I just like to walk around and see what's on sale and what's new.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You people are weird, I never set foot inside any kind of store unless it absolutely can't be avoided

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

I would never, ever, ever have anyone else deliver my groceries unless I was physically unable to do it myself.

Would you trust some random rear end in a top hat who has to make a quota to not just toss "whatever" fruits and vegetables in there, even if they were going brown or outright moldy?

Would you trust that they wouldn't just stick you with whatever was closest to expiry? That cold/frozen items would arrive in time? That you'd get cuts of meat that you'd pick yourself?

gently caress leaving that in anyone else's hands, not to mention that the more barriers there are between "walk into store, choose item, pay for item," the more chances of delays and fuckups. Not to mention that it'd probably be riotously expensive to choose delivery time/day precisely, and I don't have the option to take half a week off so some underpaid "contractor" can deliver a can of beans for me which may or may not arrive on one of the days announced/chosen at some random point between dawn and dusk.

Plus if it's food shopping, there's always the chance you spot something you hadn't thought of, and get a great idea for something to cook or a way to improve a meal you were planning. That would completely vanish with grocery deliveries.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Paranoia, probably. I just see how dire things are getting for us and I can't help but look at the situation as Rodney McMullen wringing the last drops of profit out of the company before everything gets shuttered and sold off to Amazon or whatever.

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 21, 2021

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
I've always had great results and gotten good produce doing curbside pickup at Mariano's. Probably helps that they're unionized (meaning good pay and a reasonable volume of expected work per picker)

I don't do it often though, since I don't own a car. Just when I have a rental after coming back from a vacation or when borrowing a friend's car for something I have to drive to.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've been using a home delivery supermarket since the start of the pandemic and it's been fine. Sometimes they forget things or I get a bad batch of fruit or something and all I have to do is snap a picture of the moldy orange or whatever and send it in the app. Then I either get a refund or a free product in my basket for next order.

The app is called Picnic it's p deece

I'm still unhappy about not being able to pick fruit and veg myself but it's a small price to pay for not exposing myself to maskless covidiots

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Holy poo poo, the amount of issues I deal with over the phone with the various Amazon drivers is insane, and I'm technically Whole Foods, so I have literally gently caress all I can do about it. Between moldy/rotten produce and meat, late drivers, auto-cancelled orders, limited service areas (as in, they don't deliver outside a certain range), wrong delivery addresses, half-delivered orders, entire orders returned because of a lack of ID for the alcohol in the order... There's no loving way you could pay me enough to use an online shopping service for groceries.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Rainbow Knight posted:

Paranoia, probably. I just see how dire things are getting for us and I can't help but look at the situation as Rodney McMullen wringing the last drops of profit out of the company before everything gets shuttered and sold off to Amazon or whatever.

I dunno about the north, but the grocery store in the south is such a 'everyone go there and gently caress around' thing ( especially on Sundays ) that I don't think these people would know what to do if the stores closed.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

Where would the retirees go three times a day if the supermarket were closed?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Cow Bell posted:

Go to Home Depot.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I dunno about the north, but the grocery store in the south is such a 'everyone go there and gently caress around' thing ( especially on Sundays ) that I don't think these people would know what to do if the stores closed.

That's everywhere in the south on Sunday.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cow Bell posted:

Country Kitchen / Cracker Barrel / Golden Corral

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

some customer was being a child yesterday.

She needed "a box" for "my groceries" and I'm like "we don't have any boxes right now" because we baled everything. While I'm out on the sales floor, she takes it upon herself to go into our backroom and look for a box herself. She comes back to me and is like, "hey there's a box in your backroom that would be perfect, but it's full of red onions." so i go back and look and, yeah, there's a box of organic red onions chilling in our backroom, but it's... full of red onions. so I'm like, "uh that one is full of red onions so nah i can't give you that one." She ends up at the check stand whining about how she didn't know why I couldn't give her the box and it's like, come on. COME ON.

And she's one of those regulars you hate to deal with too. There's always a problem, she's always threatening to throw a tantrum, and we owe her everything. Mother fucker, we have the food. You owe us. Drive out to Rainbow Valley and get your own produce if you want to act like a poo poo to grocery store workers.

fucker.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Love absolutely all of my groceries to stink like onions

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

It's weird how I've written more consistently literally every day since I put in notice at my last job.

Gosh I wonder if the two things are connected

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It's weird how I've written more consistently literally every day since I put in notice at my last job.

Gosh I wonder if the two things are connected

Speaking from experience, it’s amazing how much a bad job can crush your creativity and even your ability to process the aforementioned creativity. Congratulations on escaping.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah, it just consumes all your capacity to give a poo poo doesn't it? Getting out of a bad job is a good feeling for sure

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I always tell people this but like .. Just going into work requires you to put aside energy and effort that is hard to get back. There was a time when i was covering for someone and i was there for like 2 hours on my normal day off.
so I come home right and yeah i felt as if i worked for a whole day. i didnt want to do anything. The store stole that energy.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Getting preemptively angry at coworkers you know you have to deal with that day and memorizing schedules other than your own to enjoy their off days.

:smith:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Since its the current subject, being out for almost a week and its loving great. For one I can have a set schedule now that isn't hosed with weekly by management deciding I need to work a different set of day and that closing > day off > opening poo poo where I didn't get a full 24 hours before needing to sleep again so it wasn't actually a day off poo poo. I jog (read: walk. I'm out of shape) half an hour each day, twice a week I'll also lift weights then I can do something I haven't been able to consistently do in years: Have breakfast. I can EAT in the morning. Holy poo poo. I don't have to just starve it out until my first break and have my breakfast then. I can then make myself lunch, like freshly made. And then dinner! And its all at a set time cause I'm not having to change my eating times at the whims of management.

The strangest thing though is that when I worked I swear I needed like 9-10 hours of sleep before feeling rested, and whenever I did my 4 am shifts I'd need to take a nap shortly after coming home. Now I can stay up till 2 am and wake up 7 hours later feeling perfectly fine and not needing a nap to make up the remaining hours.

Retail loving sucks ya'll

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Since its the current subject, being out for almost a week and its loving great. For one I can have a set schedule now that isn't hosed with weekly by management deciding I need to work a different set of day and that closing > day off > opening poo poo where I didn't get a full 24 hours before needing to sleep again so it wasn't actually a day off poo poo. I jog (read: walk. I'm out of shape) half an hour each day, twice a week I'll also lift weights then I can do something I haven't been able to consistently do in years: Have breakfast. I can EAT in the morning. Holy poo poo. I don't have to just starve it out until my first break and have my breakfast then. I can then make myself lunch, like freshly made. And then dinner! And its all at a set time cause I'm not having to change my eating times at the whims of management.

The strangest thing though is that when I worked I swear I needed like 9-10 hours of sleep before feeling rested, and whenever I did my 4 am shifts I'd need to take a nap shortly after coming home. Now I can stay up till 2 am and wake up 7 hours later feeling perfectly fine and not needing a nap to make up the remaining hours.

Retail loving sucks ya'll

Super glad to hear you’re doing better.

My prior company had super stressful goals and a structure that allowed them to basically threaten everyone with termination for every little thing. Super negative environment. The only people who got ahead were the ones who cheated.

I had 2 weeks between that job and the start of my current company, and it was like, a feeling almost of PTSD recovery for those two weeks. Super surreal. It rocked , but yeah it super sucks that so many of these jobs drain people the way they do.

And they wonder why no one is willing to put up with the poo poo anymore.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Super glad to hear you’re doing better.

I had 2 weeks between that job and the start of my current company, and it was like, a feeling almost of PTSD recovery for those two weeks. Super surreal. It rocked , but yeah it super sucks that so many of these jobs drain people the way they do.

And they wonder why no one is willing to put up with the poo poo anymore.

I had the same experience. I am also in the position of having discovered this thread after leaving retail (I'm driving relief for a courier company now), but those few weeks between quitting the grocery store (because I woke up with the epiphany that I could not do it one more day and not kill myself so i walked in and quit thirty minutes before my shift started) and finding myself in the new job was just. Bizarre. I hadn't realised how much pressure I was under until it wasn't there anymore.

My creativity is coming back. I've hardly written in years and years, other than essays for school, but I can feel ideas start to form in the back of my head again. I haven't put any of them down yet, but the fact that I am planning a story at all feels incredible.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Boss decided to schedule me for an extra 40 hours over a month without asking me to accept it(literally just slapped it on my schedule and hoped I wouldn't notice until it was too late), then bailed off on a holiday after threatening me that there'd be "consequences" if I disputed this.

gently caress him, union's going to get his rear end and I'm going to make sure it's as painful for him as possible.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Volunteered to come in to close today because our goddamn manager made a schedule that gave the MOD no closer on the sales floor and just two cashiers (one now because they preemptively called out). Extra five hours on my paycheck~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Rainbow Knight posted:

some customer was being a child yesterday.

She needed "a box" for "my groceries" and I'm like "we don't have any boxes right now" because we baled everything. While I'm out on the sales floor, she takes it upon herself to go into our backroom and look for a box herself. She comes back to me and is like, "hey there's a box in your backroom that would be perfect, but it's full of red onions." so i go back and look and, yeah, there's a box of organic red onions chilling in our backroom, but it's... full of red onions. so I'm like, "uh that one is full of red onions so nah i can't give you that one." She ends up at the check stand whining about how she didn't know why I couldn't give her the box and it's like, come on. COME ON.

And she's one of those regulars you hate to deal with too. There's always a problem, she's always threatening to throw a tantrum, and we owe her everything. Mother fucker, we have the food. You owe us. Drive out to Rainbow Valley and get your own produce if you want to act like a poo poo to grocery store workers.

fucker.

The box customers at my work are a huge pain in the rear end, but at least they don’t try taking boxes that already have product in them. What did she expect you to do? Just dump it out? That’s insane.