Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I work in a coffee shop inside a major retailer, and the entire experience has destroyed any sense of worth I once felt for this piece of poo poo country. I realize that is a very stark thing to say; nothing so far has given me reason to believe otherwise.

Every single day I come to work and "serve" the fat, sloppy, and disgusting fucks that invest this shithole. My job does not simply revolve around making interesting coffee-based beverages, and proclaiming the benefits of consuming Arabica beans farmed by starving people in Central America - nope. The sweat and tears that makes up part of the moisture in the beans is not enough. These people must grind into your forehead the society accepted fact that you are not human.

I grew up in a household that put value on every single human life in existance. I still cannot get used to some overweight being waddling through the cafe section, and simply refusing to do anything to make someone else's life a little easier. We do not exist in any tangible way to these people. They will throw their trash on the floor, and demand you pick it up for them. They will let their children poo poo on the floor (yes...), and smugly walk away with a gait of superiority. If something is not to their liking, they will waste no time grabbing a manager, and emptying their lungs to proclaim how you should be fired/killed for your supposed ineptitude; of course always refusing to conversing with you directly about the issue beforehand. Whatever the reason, whatever makes them miserable, whatever is wrong with the world; it is always because of YOU. YOU serve no purpose, and YOU should be extinguished.

This job has made me borderline hypocritical. I don't believe I ever once actually felt realistic hatred towards people until this point in my life. Now, I am loving embarrassed I even share a common country and flag with some of these individuals - fat, ugly, lazy, unfriendly, robotic, mean, demanding, self-entitled, without worth. Some of us run on our feet 8+ hours a day playing indentured servant for $9/hour while the rest get to poo poo themselves in office chairs all day for twice that. They just consume and consume and consume while the rest of us barely make enough to keep our bellys full. And this is all ok! This country is perfectly fine accepting of the notion that the retail peon is in that position because he or she did something bad to deserve to be there.

You know you gotta get out of this poo poo when you blankly stare out into space after an entire day of getting belittled wondering what the ratio of burning fat to burning muscle was during the WTC attack...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

SpartanIV posted:

So today? :v:

also, as I've posted before, I work at a Target Starbucks. So I not only have Target managers but also a Starbucks manager. After leaving work today I ran into my Starbucks district manager and her manager in a sandwich shop where I went for lunch. We started talking and she asked if I had heard about the manager position I applied for and through an amazing series of sentences, I managed to imply that another nearby Target Starbucks that is also in her district is filthy(which it is) in front of her boss. So that was an amazing foot-in-mouth moment and I'm still cursing myself for being an idiot but I'll apologize profusely next time I see her and hope she doesn't hold it against me(she will). :suicide:

Oh dear. I thought I was the only unlucky goon to work at one of these shitholes...

My place is a loving disaster. We typically only have one barista working on fri/sat/sun at any given time since management apparently cannot spare us any loving hours. This means angry guests, and the fast service button going off 6 times an hour. Every single day I work, I have to deal with at least one rear end in a top hat blowing up in my face over hosed up wait times. Ive spoken to management about it, and even had a 30min private chat with the store team lead about it; no one cares.

The bar itself is a disgusting cesspool of crusted milk, and rapidly growing pathogens just waiting to give someone a throat infection. We dont even have a sanitizing sink, so pitchers are rinsed with water, and instantly put back for use without any disinfecting at all. I spend every shift scraping crusted, spoiled milk off of various areas of the espresso machine and the bar. And yes, this poo poo is in incredibly close proximity to where I actually have to queue drink cups, and milk pitchers. I imagine that this stuff makes its way into cups all the time. There is dust everywhere; parts under the bar have not been cleaned in over two years.

So Avalanche, why do you let this place get so hosed up? I have no time to clean anything, and occasionally get chewed out by management for doing anything but my normal function. There is always a constant stream of guests, and with only 1 loving barista; it is impossible to do anything else. I either get the choice of serving guests, or telling guests to go gently caress themselves while I clean the entire place. Most people I work with are burned out, and some of the new hires are having near panic attacks from dealing with tons of angry, strung out meth addicts for customers.

My manager is never there. I think I had a conversation with the manager that lasted more than 2 minutes maybe 2 weeks ago. But of course, i get delegated most of the management tasks. I have to train everyone, do the orders, do basic inventory, speak with the ETLs/STL about the "state" of the shithole, write up training documents, train myself on new store promotions, and even train myself on every little detail about crappy starfucks coffee.

Do I get a promotion? gently caress no. Raise? "Oh, heres $.20!. $9/hour yay!" Forget the fact that I have the best sales figures, the best customer satisfaction survey scores, solve a shitload of problems the ETLs have no idea how to even respond to, and a degree from a very well respected west coast university, no one sees fit to bump me up to a more prominent role. I dont "fit" with Target slave culture, so everyone views me as some random outsider. I was written up a few days ago because a GSTL timed one of my breaks, and found that I came back 2 minutes late. The morning ETLs cant even open the front door on time to let me into the store to punch in. Of course I punch in late, and it is magically my fault; apparently standing in the cold 10minutes prior to my shift is not EARLY ENOUGH. There is not even a single minute of downtime. Work like a machine for 8 hours, or get written up. Ironically, management loves to talk on their cell phones on the floor...

I really wish I could leave this place behind, but this town has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country. I just cant get out of here no matter what I do. I have not been able to get a decent night of sleep in over 6 months. I keep waking up in 3 hour intervals, sometimes with an incredibly fast heart rate that wont slow down unless I get up and sit down for 10 minutes or so. Hence why I am awake NOW writing this wall of text 4 hours before my loving shift.

gently caress.

At this point in my life, i would have no problem sitting in Afghanistan for a year getting shot at every single day if it meant that I would not have to work at Target anymore. One of our GSAs just got done doing a tour over there, and is already thinking about going back because he cant stand being in the store more than twice a week.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Report your boss to the local health agency! I work in food safety, and this is some very serious poo poo.

You can make it clear to the agency that you're simply not allowed enough hours. When they hear that you have only one person working during your busy times it should be very clear to the inspector that the issue is staffing not employee performance.

You can generally report this poo poo anonymously, so you're safe. If you have a customer with a compromised immune system this business is putting their health at risk, so there's a good moral reason to report. You hate your boss and they don't give a gently caress, so gently caress them back.

Don't be the guy that says, "oh gosh, this isn't my problem, I don't want to make waves". Someone is going to get very sick, and you can either prevent it or let it happen.

Lets just say that this may or may not have already been attempted by "someone" and someone else. Management knew exactly what was going on since informing management about multiple problems, and the timing of the surprise health visit that may or may not of happened was way too coincidental. Three people ended up leaving in frustration, and nothing got fixed. For whatever reason, the health inspectors do not write the place up for anything, and the place is always "green" regardless of how hosed up it actually is.

I dont know what to do at this point other than get the gently caress out. It is cheaper for the company to get written up for health issues, and slap on a quick fix for the next visit than it is to actually staff the place well enough to fix the problem for good.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

RottenWomb posted:

I'm new at retail and finally got my chance a month ago with Target. I got fired today because I "didn't comply with their friendly work atmosphere." Did I just not meet their smile index quota or something? :smith:

You tried to join the Target store clic of exclusivity, and they peered your rear end out. Congratulations, you are a genuine human being. Go forth and do something important for humanity, and never look back.

Now, if only I could get fired...

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
3:30am-12Pm today, 7:30am-4:00pm tomorrow, 7:30am-2pm sunday, school on monday, 7:30am-4Pm on tuesday, school on wednesday, 3:00pm-10pm on thursday, somehting on friday, something on saturday, something on sunda.......

:suicide:

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I suppose I should preface this post by stating that I no longer work in that soul crushing hell pit of despair that is retail. However a feel its only fair to offer it to you poor glorious bastards just so you know when you leave retail it follows you. The stupidity haunts you to your grave. Its been quite a few years since I graduated out of that life sapping chasm of crushed human spirit and into a cushy office job. In fact its a rare day that I don't thank the sweet zombie jesus that all my 'customers' are internal save for the occasional external director I have to liaise with.

However, occasionally a customer will either get randomly patched through to my phone or somehow get hold of my direct line, probably from some carelessly forwarded email or something.

Now I apologise again for even more set up but a lot of what I work on are various quotations for our products and services. This can often be a complicated process, and a lot of the various software we use for calculating this has the problem of only rounding to 2 decimal places, the actual billing systems go to about 9 or so. Which means the quoted price could be as much as 0.09% off. This is clearly explained in an automatic disclaimer and one I add to everything I do.

So one day I'm merrily working away when my phone rings.

:unsmith: Cast_No_Shadow here, whats up?
:nyd: *Audible hump* Its Twatface from Twatface, Fucknut and Pendant
:unsmith: (Now realising this is blatantly not a call that should reach my phone) Good Morning Mr Face, what can I do for you?
:nyd: Your loving company has overcharged my client, you're always loving doing this, every god drat time I don't even know why I do business with you anymore!

Occasionally our systems, or some retard at the front end messes up and we bill the wrong amount, very occasionally we might double bill or something, its bad I know but we're aware of it and are working on finding and fixing the system error and are very good at giving the money back, covering any incurred charges and throwing in free poo poo when this happens so I bring up the details and look but nothings wrong.

:unsmith: I'm not sure I see it here, can you run me through what's happened so I can sort this for you?
:nyd: I knew this would happen, this is the last client I'm recommending you to, every loving time! You quoted us at 36,400.50 (Number might not be exact it was a week or two ago, but it was about 36.5k)
:unsmith: Yup that seems right, we've billed you for 36,400.62.
:nyd: Exactly, your quotations are always light! You're conning people and ripping them off for your own gain!
:unsmith: I'm sorry I really don't understand?
:nyd: THERES 12 PENCE DIFFERENCE! Why are you robbing my clients!?!?
:smith: Ahh I see...well our quotes are only worked out to two decimal places...blah blah...basic rounding difference...
:nyd: WHY IS IT ALWAYS IN YOUR FAVOUR THOUGH loving ROBBING BASTARDS
:smith: Just bare with me Mr Face I'll put you through to your point of contact with us who'll be able to sort all this out for you.

It took me a full 2 minutes after putting him on hold for me to actually grasp that he found my number out from some email chain, decided against calling out accounts team or even his point of contact in our company who he deals with regularly to call me and bitch me out on 12 pence on a bill of over 35 grand. I have no idea if it was him or his client, I'm pretty sure if it was the client his charge for making the call would be far far in excess of 12p. If it was off his own back...I wonder if he billed them.

Still after calling through to his point of contact she, being as shocked as I was, promised to offer to send him the money herself. I hope she did.

I hate people.

Send 12 seperate checks for 1 pence each.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Every little part of this poo poo job eats away a tiny piece of my soul day after day. It is no surprise that the rest of the world wants to see America fall 25 feet onto it's neck when you observe the assholes that infest "retail". I keep trying to tell myself that "No, the majority of people in this country are good, honest individuals", but, the self told message gets less clear after every shithouse shift. The smugness, the self-entitled mentality, the rampant superiority complexes, the exploitation, the lieing, the hurting, the total lack of regard for anything aside from that which makes up the self; it all makes me want to suffocate myself with a plastic bag. I work in a coffee shop inside a big box retailer.

For a little above minimum wage, a barista is expected to perform the work of a personal butler for the superior individual. That means placating to their every whim and fancy with the upmost detail. If the latte has too much foam, or too little, you are a horrible monster that requires a verbal flogging, and a reminder of your position in society. This in turn gets forwarded up the chain to a manager who repeats the entire process until the barista is on the verge of tears. So, the barista returns to the base of the espresso machine to repeat this ballet for another person, but not before cleaning up the empty pizza boxes and half eaten breadsticks that litter and grease up the entire top side of a lobbyside table. And, certainly not before getting on one's hands and knees to wipe the floor of a spilled latte at the base of a "guest's" feet, (yes, some people will not move their fat loving asses 6 inches to the right, and actually demand that you clean up spilled drinks that rest under their feet).

The barista is expected to display at all times a fun, exciting, and chipper attitude for no incentive. Tips are not allowed. No incentive is given for selling higher value items. No incentive is given for performing an excellent job. An annual 10 cent raise is all that is given, and the "opportunity" of being there among the clashing carts, beeping registers, parents screaming at their children, people stomping their feet at the prospect of having to wait 3 whole minutes for their precious latte, the horrible churning of blenders, and broken high-pitched milk steamer that I am pretty sure has given me mild tinitus. This is apparently a gift from the almighty especially in these troubling times. We could be out on the street. We could be sleeping under an overpass. But we are not. We are there instead.

Some of the baristas might as well be spending the night in a damp alley. All of the single mother baristas cannot keep their kids fed well, nor can they feed themselves. They live in horrible, overpriced poo poo appartments paying rediculous amounts in fuel costs for their broken down cars; just for the opportunity to wake up, and stand outside the store in the snow at 7 in the morning. At least until the fat fucks inside decide to get off their severly overweight asses, and unlock the door. Sometimes it takes all of 5 minutes. Other times, 15. And, I cannot forget about the horrors these people go through if they ever get sick. The company health insurance is more harmful than helpful with a $10k annual deductible, and a $25k max benefits payout.

The most spiteful thing about this entire situation is that this is normal. In America, it is encouraged to curbstomp the dreams and desires of those who were launched into adulthood during a time of no opportunities. We have all done something wrong, and deserve our menial place at the feet of the overweight overlords who have achieved.... something... which makes their position just. My job is where dreams go to die. I see no escape. Even a loving college education from a Tier 1 school isnt enough to get me out of here.

5 hours from now, I will once again wake up, get in my piece of poo poo car, waste expensive fuel to get to my piece of poo poo job, experience the joy to stand in the snow outside the door, to wait. And wait. Extend a meaningless greating to the obese in red, trod on to the bar, and prepare for another day of pointless abuse. gently caress it.

We still have big red plastic christmas bags laying in unorganized piles under the registers. I suppose I could leave work a little early...

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Edit: Wrong thread

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

greazeball posted:

Not to mention that upper and middle management treat the staff like poo poo as well as put signs up encouraging you to do the same... "If I don't offer you a receipt, you get $5!" "Pizza delivered in 30 minutes or it's free!" "Try and game our printed policies and make me look like a dumbass!" "If you scream loudly and long enough my supervisor will take your side!"

It also has to do with the dress code of many retail places. I noticed a remarkable difference in how employees in our in-store starbucks were treated when management forced everyone to wear hats (corporate starbucks do not encourage this). Before, people could easily make eye contact with you and actually see your face. There wasn't some rediculous baseball cap blocking out a good portion of your forehead and hair. People were a lot more calm, and a lot less likely to go apeshit over minor problems. After the policy was implemented, customers were a lot more apt to treat the staff like a bunch of punk assholes (probably because of how rediculous they all looked).

I really wish I could go to work wearing suitpants, a nice fitted shirt/tie, and maybe a vest of some kind along with a nice watch. Retail forces me to wear disgusting khakki pants with some horrible, almost-neon colored shirt. Everyone looks like clowns.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

uptown posted:

I just don't understand how people don't understand that retail/foodservice workers are just people doing their jobs.

It's the Just-World Fallacy in action. Servers, retail peons, and people working at Mcdonalds are all horrible monsters who are in those jobs for a reason. They did something wrong in life, and are working those jobs to pay for their mistakes... or so the idea goes.
Therefore, it is perfectly fine to treat them all like dogshit on the lawn.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/18/target-union-idUSN1826202820110618

:negative:

It's poo poo like this that allows retail workers to be treated like poo poo.

The whole culture of living in perpetual terror of management is the absolute worst part of the whole thing.

I'm so glad I don't work retail anymore.

It is because of this incident that the low/mid management in the entire region of stores in my area had to go through 4 hours of "Union Training" recently. And yes, I get to hear how horrible unions are, and how they will result in us getting less pay, more hours cut, no benefits, rape my rear end in a top hat, etc. on a daily basis. I have to bite my lip, or else risk getting fired...

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Tomorrow is the 4th of July :911:. While the rest of the country is outside blowing poo poo up, cooking at dusk, and generally enjoying summer, guess where I will be?

Making motherfucking lattes for entitled Amuricunts for the liberity wage of jack loving poo poo an hour. Being forced to listen to complete idiots play the role of Captain rear end in a top hat, who, by partially divine and partially deserved right gets to order his enlisted peons to do their duty and take their breaks on time.

Almost forgot. The state decided to spike college tuition by another 20% this year. Hooray poverty!

America! The place where we openly shun upward mobility by publically tearing your rear end in a top hat in half with a statue of liberty shaped dildo.

:suicide:

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
"Drive-through Pharmacy". What a joke.

My pharmacy manager tells me a ton of stories of working at Wal-Greens, and why he dumped that company. People would come up to the drive through, ask for their prescriptions, and then ask the pharmacy staff to get milk/food/beer for them.

"Uhhh yea. Could I get my somas, my hydrocodones, 2 gallons of nonfat milk, some duritos, and a pint of chocolate ice cream?"

If someone forgot to remove the prescription vaccume tube thingy after closing, the morning would be hell. One time someone took a poo poo in the container, it shot through the vaccume tube, and sprayed poo poo all over the pharmacist/other people's prescriptions/everything. Another time, someone got mad at a tech and put a bunch of rocks in the container. The container comes through the tube, resulting in employees getting pelted by rocks and dirt spraying all over the place.

"Due to customer demand" Wal-Greens is now turning into a distribution-only pharmacy setup. All your refill prescriptions will be filled by someone with no tech/pharmacy license at a Wal-Greens distribution center, and sent by next day mail to your Wal-Greens pharmacy. Most techs/pharmacists are being cut, and only certain prescriptions can be filled immediately. If you have a question about one of your medications, you will have to contact someone at the distribution center(someone in India) via an automated phone system. This is some pilot program going into effect in a couple states next year.

gently caress pharmacy. Maybe this wonderful pilot program will result in a couple 400 pound lords of capitalism dieing from warm insulin.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
If the entire system collapses because someone called out sick to go to a football game, then the problem is with management/corporate. Stores should never be staffed so razer thin.

Good for that kid. Better to enjoy life than to be the indentured servant of some monster corporation that has absolutely no problem severing his job at any given chance. The kid calling out might make your shift suck, but remember who is really responsible for understaffing and underpaying employees.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Indentured servant? Really?

Call me old fashioned, but I reckon if you take on a job that you're obligated to show up for your shifts unless you're physically unable to do so. If your attitude is one of "WELP, LOOKS LIKE I WANT TO WATCH FOOTBALLS SO I AIN'T GOING TO WORK" then maybe a job isn't for you. Frankly I wish it was possible to sever employment easily for the sort of person that pulls this poo poo.

Remember, we are talking about retail jobs. The kind where you get paid $7.50/hour with no benefits and no job security. With any other job that is actually worth a poo poo, i would completly agree with you. I honestly cannot expect an employee to do any more than the minimum when the company itself offers the absolute bare minimum.

It's hilarious watching upper management bitch about the high amount of callouts the store has, and how is is rediculous that "so many lazy people just dont want to work in this economy". That's a leadership problem, not a horrible employee problem. Don't expect people to show up when all that is offered is 8 hours of argumentation and conflict with customers that nets someone a wage well below the poverty line.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Some fat, gila monster of a women tried to fill a fraudulent prescription a few days ago at the in-store pharmacy. She stole a doc's prescription pad, and wrote herself a script for some painkillers. The pharmacist catches it, calls the doctor, and asks him what to do. Normally, we would just not fill it, and tell the person to get the gently caress out. The doctor informs us to have her arrested immediately (nooooooo!). You must follow doc orders in these situations, so we had to call PD.

We stall her for about 20minutes until PD finally shows up, and hauls her off. As she is being hauled off, she threatens us. Apparently her "friend" is going to come and blow our loving heads off at some point in the future. Awesome. Maybe ill just save her friend the trouble. :suicide:

The pharmacist also got subpoena'd to appear in court. On top of the felony for the fraud script, plus the threat, she was also carrying a loving pistol in her purse at the time...

Stupid loving piece of poo poo practically minimum wage job... Might as well enlist in the Army. I'd feel safer in Afghanistan instead of this shithole.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I'd rather be in Afghanistan with a gun than work retail.

There were a few Iraq vets that used to work at the store that re-enlisted due to being so fed up with self-entitled assholes...

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I bought myself a longboard a few weeks ago because, gently caress it. I like skating even if it may be deemed 'weird' that i still skate in my mid 20s. I found the most epic paved hill around the hills behind my house to ride down. It's around 30 degrees downhill for about a mile straight. I went down it tonight half hoping I would hit a rock, eat poo poo, and break something. There were no streetlights, so I could not see a drat thing. All luck was in favor of me crashing horribly in some way that would land me in the emergency room for a few nights.

Fail. Epic hill run was a complete success =( Guess I get to go to work tomorrow.

Im still shaking from that run though. Holy gently caress that was incredible.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Swillkitsch posted:

Err...so...okay, my job has a calendar where you can see who has time off and when. I was informed two months and some change ago that if I didn't squander my vacation days before the end of the year, they'd be gone. So I inputted some days for next week, as it'll be my birthday then and I'd like to spend some quality time with people I like. Days were approved with little fuss.

Then my boss schedules me for one of the days next week and I'm like, "Hey, can you take a look at this?" I'm mostly confused, but certain it was an honest mistake.

Boss goes completely passive-aggressive as if I sprung this on him last-minute, acts like he's changing the schedule, and finally says: "You know what? I'm just gonna...pawn off this responsibility...since it was pawned off on me..." And he instructs my one other coworker and myself to find a replacement for me for that day. For background as to why this is difficult--I work as one of two regular technicians in a retail pharmacy. In order to find a substitute that isn't just the other girl, I'd have to call around any and all stores in the area. Who almost certainly have schedules written out past one week, since technically we're all supposed to have three weeks' worth of schedules posted in advance.

TELL ME, GOONS. Did he just try and pull a fast one on me? And regardless of whether or not this is the case: What the gently caress? Am I obligated to do this? No other tech in my memory has been asked to do this. It is not my responsibility to find somebody to fill in for me on a vacation day that had been cleared two months in advance. I... What is this? And would I be in the wrong to give zero fucks and not issue a single phone call?

You're a Pharmacy Tech. You're not allowed to take vacation, take breaks, eat lunch, or do anything except give people their Somas. Finals week coming up? Too bad. Now get back to work filling those alprazolam scrips.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

silversiren posted:

Me: "Sir, there's a hole in your bag of flour, do you want to get another bag?"
Man: "No, that's ok, only a little bit spilled out. It's going straight home anyway."
Me: "Oh okay." *continues ringing things up*
Man: *about the bit of flour that spilled on the belt* "We could just scoop that stuff up and hand it to the poor!"

I loving hate Christmas and I loving hate retail and I loving hate this area and I couldn't care less if the entire place burned to the loving GROUND.

I had to briefly work at the in-store Starbucks today to cover for people going on break. I had this gem:

**making latte**
Woman: Do you burn your hands?
Me: What?
Woman: DO YOU BURN YOUR HANDS?
Me: I... don't understand... like while working back here? Yes, on occasion.
Woman: Well back in Italy, people used to burn their hands on the espresso machines all the time.
Me: Yea, well these machines are pretty modern, and quite saf...
Woman: SOME people tried to turn this country into Europe, but they failed. It is America so you don't have to burn your hands!

Me: ***slam latte on bar counter***
:getout:

Stupid loving anti-socialist conservative assholes. I'm sure baristas burning their hands on espresso machines back in the 70s had absolutely nothing to do with the infancy of technology, and everything to do with Italy being somewhat (not really at all though) more left leaning than America.

I also had to deal with some fat chick having a nuclear meltdown over there being "whip" in her nonfat no whip pumpkin spice latte. The whip was actually a later of foam, but she would have none of that, and ordered me to remake it.

And... people refused to even acknowledge any of the people working. They would just rip the drink out of the hands of the barista, turn a 180, and walk off without even the slightest notion of thanks. I can never understand how so many people can believe it's ok to be that disrespectful and entitled. Maybe growing up in a military family forced me to always say please and thankyou. I'd get the poo poo screamed out of me if my parents caught me being such a cold rear end in a top hat to a retail worker.

Whatever. Hopefully a year from now ill be in the grad program im applying for, and will never have to deal with this bullshit ever again.

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 25, 2011

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Just a note for any goons that have monthly prescriptions:

If the bottle says "no refills remaining", that does not mean that we are magically going to call the doctor, ask them to write a new RX for you, and fill it so you can pick it up at your convenience (usually two days after we already put in back on the shelf since you didn't pick it up within 14 days).

It means that you need to call your doctor on your very own, and either make a loving appointment, or ask them for a new prescription. The reasoning behind this is that doctors need to occasionally check up on you, and make sure the medication is working. If it is not, then they often need to change treatment by increasing the dose, or changing the medication to something else entirely-- all so your arteries don't explode while you are screaming at us. They have no way to do this if you do not communicate with them in some way.

The next person that tells us how terrible and horrible people we are because we didn't have their 'no refills' hydrocodone RX ready immediately is getting a phone thrown at them. It amazes me how many people who believe they are "oh so better than us" because they don't work in a retail shoebox cannot even read and understand a simple sentence.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Seriously? Your pharmacy sucks rear end. If I go to refill something that doesn't have any refills left it automatically sends a fax to the office of the prescribing MD. It takes literally 30 seconds and then I can truthfully tell you "I sent them a fax, now it's up to whenever we hear back from them."

'Course some people are idiots and initiate that process at 6pm on a Friday night, like maybe any doctor on earth gives a gently caress about authorizing refills at a time like that, but whatever they can wait.

Probably should of clarified; this is what we do as well on pretty much everything but controls. People throw a fit anyways even after we explain to them that we cannot put most controls on automatic. They throw a fit at us if the doctor does not approve/refuses to return a fax on their autofill refil request.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Q: "Hey guys, so our profits are up, are stock is going up, and we have slashed employee health insurance down to something called a 'health discount'. What should we do now to make the company even better?"

A: CUT HOURS

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Blue_monday posted:

We also can't force drug stores to carry your crappy makeup. Either get them to order it in or buy it online.

Are you loving serious? "HEY! YOU LITTLE poo poo FUCKS BETTER START CARRYING MARY KAY EYE LINER, OR IM GONNA REPORT YOU TO THE BOARD!"

Dear God what is wrong with people...

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
'The Best Company Ever' :suicide: recently changed its health insurance into some horrible health discount program for its hourly 'team members'. If you are a smoker, more money comes out of your check to go into the insurance pool.

Some people who put down 'non-smoker' because they don't smoke have found themselves being automatically changed to 'smokers' on the pay and benefits website.... loving beautiful.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

silversiren posted:

Wherein the problem lies! Because I spoke to a few female coworkers and they said the same thing I did.

Is a minimum wage job really worth putting up with harassment and being forced to walk a fine line to maintain everyone's perception of a 'wont cause trouble' demeanor? gently caress no.

Bring it up with someone. You don't have to phrase it as "Oh my god, so and so totally came on to me and is trying to FORCEFULL HAVE SEX WITH ME!!!". Just say something like:

"Hey, so I don't want to get anyone in trouble or cause any issues, but this one employee is kind of making me feel uncomfortable by doing [insert SPECIFIC THINGS] around me. I'm not really sure who to tell, if I should even tell anyone, or if I should bring it up with so and so in person; but I just want to let someone know."

Bam. Problem solved. Any manager that is actually a human will analyze that as a request for help rather than 'nagging' or 'snitching' or 'tattling'. Just make sure to bring it up with someone higher up on the food chain. If the actions of the creepo ever do escalate, there will at least be a mental record that you were already concerned at one time in the past, and the situation is deteriorating.

What will most likely result by letting someone know (considering that management consists of real humans instead of Ryandian space monsters) is that they will tell the guy to knock that poo poo off, and that will be the end of it.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
"A Moment" is when you sell a hypermotivated guest wearing a red shirt and khaki a box of matches. "Amazing" is when the store burns down a half hour later.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Natalya Fartz posted:

I can't wait to see how flooded my Target is and the reasoning behind them not letting me call out. Hey fuckers, the mayor said don't loving leave the house, SEPTA (Philly public transit) is shut down and its windy as gently caress. I'm not getting stuck at Target because all the roads around here flooded out or because you won't let me leave because the conditions are too horrible outside.

I got to walk home 1 1/2 miles through 1 1/2 feet of snow during a blizzard because my store didn't close early and let us out. That was fun. And by fun I mean it sucked, except for me stopping into a bar on the way home and having a few beers to warm back up.

What I guess I should say is gently caress Target.

Wow, you're such a terrible employee. How dare you believe that your life is more important than Target's profit and stock price. Yea you might die, but keeping the store open is the only way we will make sales for the week.

Remember this when you write out 15 Vibe cards for yourself.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

MaxDuo posted:

Indeed. I've had someone throw a bigass pack of paper at me once for refusing to give it to him at the price he wanted (he switched the sign and I had someone go check on it after he went down the aisle, they saw him walking away and the signs were switched... when they weren't about 5 minutes before).

Another similar situation had the customer try to punch me for not selling him some nice $15 pack of paper for $3.

This happened a while ago:

There was once someone who came to the pharmacy to fill their fraudulent Percocet prescription. Is was just sooooo obvious it was someone with a stolen rx pad: the quantity was something insane like 500 tables, the directions made no sense and were not written as a doctor would write them, the doc's 'signature' didn't match, etc. The pharmacist was loving sick of dealing with this crap so she just informed the person that it was a forged script, she would not fill it, and to get the gently caress out of the store before the cops were called.

The person accused the pharmacist of malpractice for not filling the script (huh?), was going to press charges, insisted that she fill it, and said she would not leave until the pharmacist filled it.

The pharmacist got on the phone with PD. The person STILL wouldn't leave, and stayed there up until PD arrived and arrested her.

loving unbelievable....

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I pissed off a 'patient' today, and it was absolutely magical.

The woman comes to pick up her prescription for a special kind of cream for a special kind of area. I ask for her last name, and she gives it to me; it's a very common last name, so I ask for her first name. She gives me the first letter.
I bring the rx up to her, and in a very soft and gentle tone totally in compliance with patient privacy ask her "Is your first name xxx?". She flips poo poo, and yells YES!

(Look, I can either risk your privacy by the off chance there is a voice recorder around that can pick up my whispered voice all so the right med goes to you, OR I could give you the wrong medication due to your very common first/last name and potentially kill you. The choice is clear.)

Cue 2-3 minutes of passive aggressive bullshit on her part. I ask her if she would like the pharmacist to go over the medication with her, and she blurts out a NO! She then asks me to lay out the medication to make sure I gave her the right thing. I hand her the bag, and slightly expose the insert that states the name of the medication. Her response "No, take it out of the bag, lay it on the counter, and SHOW ME!!!". Ok. Whatever. So I do that, then she tosses it back in the bag, and I start ringing her up. She throws a shitfit over the thing costing $6.... She then starts swearing in a foreign language I do not wish to name, and uses the plastic pin pad pen to literally stab at the screen. Of course this does nothing, and makes her even more angry. I finish the transaction, and skip the RX rewards prompt because I just want this person to get the gently caress out of the store as quickly as possible.

(the rewards program is a joke anyways. Fill 5 prescriptions, and they send you a 5% off coupon in the mail. No one ever gets the loving coupons, the 5% can only be used on stuff in the store, and it cant be used on prescriptions.)

I walk back, and start working on some RX's for other patients while she examines the receipt. Of course there is a problem. She uses her finger to signal my attention like some stuck up rear end in a top hat, and screams across the counter that I didn't apply her 'RX rewards'. I give a half-assed apology, hand her a pharmacy pamphlet, and tell her to call the 1800 number since I have no way of retroactively putting in the discount after the transaction (we really cant).

She flips poo poo, does a 180, and screams out into the aisles. Something about going to Wal-Mart instead and how we are all a bunch of stupid gringos bla bla bla.

Yes lady. Please go to Wal-Mart. We don't want your loving business. You are an rear end in a top hat, and the time we waste dealing with your trivial shitstorms could be better spent helping truly sick people that have very serious issues both medically and financially. You got to pay $6 for a medication that typically costs $140 without insurance. gently caress the hell off.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

NarwhalParty posted:

It was for a complaint. Sorry, I should have specified. I don't like to get into detail because I'm afraid that it will bite me in the butt someday. Basically, this person said his/her copay on meds should be one thing and it was something else. What kills me is that a coworker that never shows up to work and is generally horrible at their job got a compliment recently.

:lol:

Just remember, you are not the patient's insurance benefits manager. If there is a copay issue, that is entirely between the patient and their insurance company. If the insurance company randomly decides to reduce the amount they cover for Ventolin for the month, there is literally nothing you can do.

You WILL NOT get in trouble. This kind of poo poo happens to me and the rest of the techs 6-9 times a day.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
It's funny how min-wage/near min-wage retail requires you to be on call 24/7. If you are not, it is reason enough to terminate you.

Yea, so that vacation you had planned 6 months in advance that you took time off for? Well, you see, sales are predicted to be higher than usual this weekend and we're gonna need extra people so you're gonna have to reschedule that vacation. Sorry bro, but it's for 'the good of the store'.

I first realized corporate retail is nothing but a loving fiefdom when a few fellow employees were forced to abandon their weekend vacation plans for 'the good of the team'. Where was the store 'team leader' during this weekend? In Hawaii. For 2 weeks. She then came back, and bragged about how amazing the trip was to a bunch of people who barely make enough money to cover the cost in gas to drive to work.

It's absolutely phenomenal how out of touch management can be. In grad school, I work under people with PhDs who make 3 times as much money as some of these managers. They all have a clear concept about how crushing poverty is, and spend a lot of time counseling poorer patients on possible solutions/providing services for no charge.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Retail stores are not BANKS. If Miss Entitled wants her $100 broken, she needs to go to a BANK like normal people. Or, ask nicely and be patient.

And no one is cut out for retail. gently caress this poo poo. I'd rather be a janitor or a garbage man; at least they have unions and make a livable wage with full benefits. They both also provide a necessary service and have the ability to take pride in their job instead of being forced to endure the constant feeling of being just another expendable cog.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Edit:

Nevermind. Too E/N for a comedy forum.

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 19, 2013

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Our in-store pharmacy shuts down for 30 minutes mid-afternoon for lunch. Pharmacy is a completely different beast unlike the rest of the store. There are no traditional 'breaks' because there is always so much work to be done. That 30 minute lunch period is pretty precious, and may be the only time during the 10-12 hour day where we have an opportunity to cram nutrition down our throats. We try and wrap every script up before lunch so we can go to lunch on time, and enjoy the entire 30 minute break.

Of course, people exploit the poo poo out of the fact that we try to wrap up all scripts before lunch.

We usually get bum rushed by people at the last loving minute.

*t minus 3 minutes till lunch*
:j: "Hi! I have 6 new prescriptions. I don't have a lot of time and im in a lot of pain. Can you fill them before you go to lunch?

:suicide: "Sure...."

These assholes KNOW that we will rush fill their poo poo. What usually ends up happening is that we start filling, something gets hosed up with insurance or whatever, and 20 minutes later we get done with everything. We finally get to close the pharmacy down for 10 WHOLE MINUTES. It is always the same people pull the same act EVERY SINGLE MONTH.

The pharmacy manager got fed up with it, and basically told us that the pharmacy from now on would be shutting down on time and opening up on time. If someone pulls the 5 scripts before lunch routine, we will begin working on them AFTER lunch.

And my, how this has made these assholes rage...

*t minus 3 minutes till lunch*
:j: "Hi! I have 6 new prescriptions. I don't have a lot of time and i'm in a lot of pain. Can you fill them before you go to lunch?

:sun: "We're going to lunch in 3 minutes, and we won't have time to fill them all before then. We will get working on them once we get back and will have them all ready for you 45 minutes from now!."

:j: "What? This is loving ridiculous! You can't just go to lunch! (yes they actually say that). Well im gonna go to WAL-MART and get them filled there instead.

:sun: "Cool, have a good day! (hahahaha!)"

Then we see them a month later....

:j: "Hi! Can you fill these for me?"
:sun: "Sure! Hey, I thought you moved all your stuff to Wal-Mart?"
:j: "Well I did, but they are terrible. It took them 2 hours to fill all my medications, and they gave me the wrong pills for one of my prescriptions."

Pharmacy schadenfreud

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
gently caress anyone who tries to insult your intelligence by claiming you are a moron because you cant process a math problem in half a second. What matters is knowing the logic behind the operation, not how fast you can process it on the fly. If someone is able to process 27.86-13.72 instantly, then cool. Most people cant. Most people that are really really good at math cant either. Why? Because calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and the like don't give a gently caress if you can compute a subtraction problem out to the 5th decimal place. Logic is much more power and informative than route computation. That's why we invented calculators.

"Hey awesome, you can subtract relatively big numbers in your head. Cool. Can you do this integral for me too? Wait, you don't even know what an integral is? What about a derivative? No? Hey! I thought you were claiming you really know your math!"

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Dealing with assholes (pharmacy edition):

:byodame: Refill this.

:byodame: When's it gonna be ready?

:sun: (looks at bottle. Refills Remaining: NO REFILLS)

:sun: Mam, it looks like we cant refill this medication because it's out of fills but I can send a fax to the doctor ask....

:byodame: WHY IS IT OUT OF REFILLS? WHY WONT YOU FILL IT?

:sun: Well, your doctor only wrote you a prescription for 1 fill. You picked that prescription up on x/x/xxxx. So that means the prescription has no refills. It says on the bottle in bold right there on the 'Refills Remaining' section that there are NO REFILLS. And that is why we cannot refill your medication.

:byodame: This is ridiculous! You must of made a mistake.

:sun: Well, let me pull the prescription and double check.

:sun: (takes 30sec-5min to find prescription depending on if the patient might be right, or the patient is just being a loving dick)

:sun: Alright, I found the original prescription. Here it is. It says "bla bla bla.. quantity of whatever". And it looks like the doctor circled a '0' on the 'refills' portion.

:byodame: SO YOU'RE NOT GOING TO loving FILL IT?

:sun: No we are not going to fill it. You should call your doctor's office and ask for a new prescription. I can also send a fax to your doctor requesting a new prescription if you'd like.

:byodame: FINE DO THAT!

(if said person is respectful, we might even offer to forward a couple pills while we wait for a new script so long as its for a blood pressure medication, or anti-depressant, or something kind of serious. This is something we technically should not be doing since we are distributing a medication without a specific physician's order. The pharmacist takes a legal risk every time he/she decides to do so that could destroy his/her life and career in a case where a physician clearly wanted a patient to NOT TAKE ANY MORE EVER of a particular med. Old people/disabled people get a free pass since there are quite a few with cognitive deficits that truly do not have a complete grasp of what's going on, and get confused. That's cool. Not their fault.

However, for the rest of the fuckers who are clearly trying to coerce us into giving them what they want in the fear of what essentially is an adult temper-tantrum; they can get hosed. It is their responsibility to recognize when they are getting low on a medication, to read the refills portion, and to contact their physician for either a new script or to schedule an appointment. If they try the tantrum/threat method, then they get a face full of logic. If they stare at us in silence afterwards, then we just stare at their forehead until they decide to say something ((I once had an awkward silence last over 20 seconds)). If they get even more livid, then we call security+PD.)

This is the one thing I love about pharmacy compared to the rest of the store. We are not required to bend over backwards and get a dick rammed up our collective rear end in a top hat by showering someone with free Vicodin and discounts and 'I'm sorry' giftcards, and other 'customer satisfaction' horseshit. It is actively discouraged aside from very rare and very extreme circumstances.

Be nice.

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 27, 2013

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Asthma prescriptions for kids can be a pain in the rear end. A pretty common one is: (Patient shows up at 5-6pm) "Hey, my kid was having asthma attacks all morning, and it having trouble breathing right now. Can you refill his Ventolin?

:sun: "Sure, let me check."
:sun: (checks computer) Refills remaining 0.
:sun: (informs pt. and calls doc office. Doc office closed)
:sun: informs patient to go to Urgent Care.

And then there is a meltdown about how we are a bunch of assholes for not giving them a corticosteroid without a new RX. No. gently caress you. gently caress you for not giving a poo poo about your child until the very last minute. If your child has asthma, then YOU NEED TO BE ON TOP OF YOUR poo poo in terms of monitoring refills and reading the god drat sticker on the box that says how many refills are remaining.

Those always suck. You really want to just toss the kid a box of Proair or whatever and be done with it. I don't like seeing anyone in respiratory distress, and I especially hate seeing kids with breathing issues. But that can be dangerous. Maybe, the reason why there isn't a new script in the system is because Mommy told little Billy to take 10-12 puffs of the inhaler instead of listening to the physician or reading the directions about 2 PUFFS MAXIMUM every 4 hours or whatever. And because of this, Billy's veins clamped tight causing what was before a mild-moderate respiratory issue into a life threatening situation ultimately requiring hospitalization. So Dr. Whatever does not trust the parent anymore AT ALL, and really wants to see the kid in the office again/go over in detail why what she did was BAD before giving out any more inhaler Rxs.

(for those who don't know, steroid-based inhalers can kind of be a catch 22. They dilate the bronchioles which allow more air to permeate into the lungs, but a side effect is that veins end up constricting which can increase blood pressure pretty significantly, and not allow for deoxygenated blood to get recirculated as quickly. So after giving yourself the maximum prescribed puffs, all that more puffs are going to do is cause problems rather than alleviate anything. I don't think I need to explain why these can be very dangerous if misused especially in the elderly population).

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
More hosed up pharmacy stories:

(as told by our pharmacists I work under)

If you work at a drive-thru pharmacy, DO NOT EVER FORGET TO LOCK the Rx vacuum tubes from the drive through after closing. Many drive-thru pharmacies use a system where you have the oldschool pneumatic tubes where a patient will put a bottle/rx/something into the capsular tube, shoot it through the tube system, and it will end up inside the pharmacy. It's quick, efficient, and prevents drive-by robberies since there is no direct contact with the inside of the pharmacy and the individual in a car.

Why though?

Because if you somehow piss someone off, people will stick poo poo in the tubes. No, not figurative poo poo. Real poo. Like, take a giant crap, put it in the tube, and drive away. So what happens when the pharmacist pressurizes/opens up the system after opening up in the morning? poo poo hits the fan. And the ceiling. And the walls. And goes ALL OVER ALL of everyone's filled prescriptions, the stock prescriptions, and into the pharmacist's face.
This ended up shutting down a Wal-Greens for like 2-3 days while a Hazmat team came in and cleaned everything up.

Another fun one to do is to put rocks in the tube system. Pharmacist gets the system going, and gets a facefull of pebbles, sand, and dirt that sprays everywhere. That one is almost more annoying because it's not a good enough reason to shut down the pharmacy, and everyone gets to spend the day fishing rocks out of the fax machine, keyboards, printers, Rx bins, hell loving everything.

gently caress people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

ThreeFish posted:

I just left retail for a warehouse job, too! Today was my last day at FD and I am freaking thrilled.

FD begged me to stay. They offered me SO many things. I turned it all down. One, because I don't trust them to actually give me everything they were promising. And, two. I really hate retail and I won't be going back. Not ever.

Everyone I know who hasn't worked retail thinks I'm absolutely insane because I'm going from being an assistant manager at FD to warehouse labor.

I start the warehouse on Monday. I can't wait!

Most warehouse people get pretty rockin benefits and pay compared to the retail environment. Nothing spectacular, but significantly better than jack poo poo an hour on call all the time toil.