Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'd pay :10bux: for a collection of all the axeface stories with lovecraft-esque pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

kyat posted:

Write ups are such bullshit.

A coworker of mine got a write up because a customer complained that he didn't know the metric system. (clearly not a common thing to know in the united states.)
I'm in Canada, and I only know half the metric system :haw:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

So, is science fiction like real?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Sure bro. They shoot Star Trek on location.

I happened to be watching season two tng as I work :smith:

I hate this season more than season one.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Dear Customers: I know that you think you are in a Starbucks. Perhaps it was the Starbucks menu that made you think this- or the fact that we are wearing Starbucks hats and aprons- or maybe it was the million signs up around the cafe that proudly display the Starbucks logo. We even sell Starbucks coffee! Yet, legally, we are not actually a Starbucks. We serve Starbucks coffee. So what? Well, when you come in here and order your Starbucks brand drinks in your Starbucks brand sizes, just like you would at your Starbucks, we are totally on board. But when you pull out your Starbucks gift card, as you inevitably will, HOLD THE PHONE. You see, we cannot honor those. We are not a Starbucks. What's that you say? You are confused by this? You are perhaps angered? You feel as if I am patronizing you by telling you that, against all reason, we are a [store name here] cafe that PROUDLY SERVES Starbucks coffee as opposed to a Starbucks? Sir or Madam, I am on your side here in agreeing with you that it is totally bogus. And I sympathize with your plight utterly. But I can assure you that your glares and your huffy noises and your frowns directed at me, as they are by literally every other person in the line you are standing in will not change the strange chimerical reality of the not-Starbucks you find yourselves trapped in. I promise you this.
To be fair, that's pretty hosed.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Whenever I go anywhere for anything and they ask me what I want I just tell them. If I'm left to my own devices I will be there for six hours looking at two of the same but slightly different product wondering which is better. I just don't have that kind of time.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Dodgeball posted:

From what I gathered from the manual I had to read and videos I had to watch, "Can I help you find something?" is retail for "Hi, I've seen your face and I can I.D. you if you shoplift."

Actually, it's more of a heads up of "I'm watching you." Also, if you greet people when they walk in, they're less likely to steal.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The only time I've a regional manager come in (factory work, not retail thankfully) a few employees got a couple extra days off. I was not one of them :smith: apparently I was good enough for the manager but not good enough not to get laid off a few months later. :argh:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That poo poo should be illegal. A few times I've heard that people litterally have to choose between work and school, or be fired. Bull poo poo.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Haha owned.

Easy, 10% plus half that.

So 23.74 + 11.87 = 35.61 (kids these days... :rolleye: )

And no, I didn't cheat.

I was close. I estimated 35.75. Just did it quickly. 15+15+5+ what seemed like a decent amount of change. Sorry I can't do it accurately :smith:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

MaxDuo posted:

:words:

I once saw an employee at a retail place I used to shop, at some party. I say used to shop, because I heard that employee say the lords name in vein while at that party.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

I was told that if you call in on Black Friday at my work, you're fired. No exceptions.

Unfortunately I kind of support this, as I've known some really lovely lovely people who will call in sick at the drop of a hat. Or in this case a busy holiday

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

This is sort of retail-ish.

We had a customer come in to pick up her computer from repair yesterday. She refused to pay. Why? Because she thought "someone else" should take care of it for her. I asked who would be paying then, and she said she didn't care, and that I should pick.

So, I was supposed to hand her the fixed computer for free, and tell some other random person "hey, you owe us $180 because we fixed some dumb whore's computer." And she was loving serious; she left the computer there and said she'd be back Friday. I was too stunned to respond.

Where the gently caress does she go that a plan like the would even come close to working?

And the joke's on her, because we're closed until Monday.

This has to be made up. I don't give care :colbert:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

froglet posted:

(I also think if this new law was introduced while I was in highschool, my employer would have been making me work 5pm-9pm every school night, then fired me when I objected that I'd never get any schoolwork done during the week)
This is a fact of working and going to school. If you want/have to do both, be thankful that they aren't trying to schedule you during times you're not supposed to be in school. 5-9 isn't terrible at all.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

I closed my store on Wednesday (thursday the store is closed for thanksgiving, so this was prepping for Black Friday). I worked a 16 hour shift. I started at 2pm and left the store at six in the morning. We also do this lovely thing on BF where we just keep selling until we're out of stock and the store doesn't close.

So, I close tonight again. I come in at 2 (hour and 20 from now) and I'm pretty confident I'm either going to hit overtime or they're going to boot me out before I can and I'll have the whole weekend off. I am dreading this. I am afraid of what I'm going to see when I come in. I'm afraid of how long I'm going to be there.

You're either going to be rich or have a long weekend. Nothing can possibly go wrong.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Megera posted:

Also I lost a lot of sales because all but one of the people I was working with(against?) could speak Spanish, and when I'd ask Spanish speakers if they needed help, they'd say "No, just looking" and I'd leave them alone, but when my coworkers would ask them immediately afterward in Spanish if they needed help, they would immediately start telling them what they wanted right away because "Hey, we speak the same language and this must mean you are better", and, in turn, give the sale to the full-time person.

gently caress, I hate that bullshit policy.

I hope you're not seriously suggesting that the bi-lingual person shouldn't get the sale? You couldn't help that woman, why do you get the sale?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Oh, giving that a fourth read, I see what you mean. I totally misread that.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

One guy at the comic book store was debating about buying a model, I suggested he buy it now despite the lack of space in his model shelf as they go quick and don't have huge runs. He freaked on me. "So my dog can eat it!?" And quickly fled the store in a huff.

Customers are weird at times.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

My district manager visited today and demanded that I sell a post-paid cell phone during the hour and a half he was there or I would be written up. I sold an 84 year old woman a 2 year contract at $40 a month when she'll probably barely use it. :smithicide: I hope she returns it.

I asked the DM, "What happens, then, if no customers walk in the door in the next hour and a half? It's happened before in this store."

His response? "Doesn't matter. Sell a postpaid while I'm here or you're getting written up."

Thank gently caress I have a job interview next week to work IT at a school district.

Should have tried to sell him one :haw:

But seriously, he's a horrible human being.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

rolleyes posted:

I imagine they assumed she'd seen it seeing as it was bigger than the shelving unit she was ranting about and literally right next to it. Maybe she didn't want the fresh stuff because it doesn't keep as long (because it's not full of nasty chemicals) or something, but she must have seen it.

I don't care what anyone says. I work in a bakery, fresh bad only lasts a few days. Not good for stocking up for the winter.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I haven't been on time to my job in three years :colbert:
As for transit times, it's all hosed when it suddenly drops more than 4 feet of snow in a couple of days.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

And that right there, combined with the tone of your previous posts, makes me think you're an insufferable rear end in a top hat. Go gently caress yourself, duder.
One is understandable, but if you call in with an abortion more than once, it's time to rethink life.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

AlmightyBob posted:

Tonight I am constructing parts of a trap I will use tomorrow to catch a bird that has been stuck in our back room for 3 weeks now.

I wish I could see pics!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Royale with Cheese posted:

Well folks, I left the retail world (previously worked at Chick-fil-A, Papa Johns in multiple locations, and Petco) and am starting a third shift full-time job in under an hour. Solid schedule, decent pay, paid time off, annual raises and bonuses. For overnight baking. Should be a solid job either way, no loving customers :smug:

I also do overnight baking. Though everything above are not my perks. I get the ability to listen to audio books every night and request days off whenever I want.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Dodgeball posted:

Thankfully, an escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs.

For whatever reason, I get serious vertigo when walking up/down broken escalators. It's truly bizarre.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The Robins Taley posted:

Reason I hate retail? I was scheduled for 39.75 hours this week, including an 8 hour shift on Christmas beginning at 8am. :suicide:

In a lot of places, usually they ask if anyone wants to work christmas first. Or didn't your place do this?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

None of the places I've ever worked have done this.
I guess I'm just lucky.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I once went on vacation. In those two weeks, an oven broke, the roof started to leak and our extension cord was hosed. I think it's pretty clear that I hold the bakery together :colbert:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

:byodame: That emote is the reason why I read this thread. It's everywhere!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

spankmeister posted:

8 months = new guy.

In some cases, 4 years is still the new guy.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Wow, never heard of anyone ever fired for working off the clock. That's bizarre. And really lovely :( I hope you find a new job soon.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

In my fantasy world where I am that black manager, all I do is take a bite of the sandwich and hand it back, saying it tastes fine to me. :iamafag:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

When I worked cashier at a dollar store, the owner tried to tell me I couldn't eat lunch. I looked at him and laughed and laughed. I have no idea what he was thinking by telling me that I couldn't eat lunch during an 8 hour shift. what goes on in some peoples minds? I honestly don't get it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Letting a possible paedophile walk to cover his own rear end, nice.

I can understand his stance sadly. Catching a pedophile and getting shitcanned does not pay the bills :smith:

Society is turning us into bad people because of the above. I have opted not to take action because of it. I feel like poo poo when it happens, but I have to look at the consequences of actually doing something.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

three posted:

Your morals/ethics are worth $7.00/hr?

I live paycheck to paycheck. My morals and ethics are worth eating and having a place to call home :colbert:

I fully admit it probably makes me a bad person, but I can live with it. When it comes down to helping out vs. being yelled at, fired or much worse it's just not worth it. Look at the posts in this thread, it's disgraceful the world we live in with such gems as "I got fired for helping someone off the clock." someone else posted that answering work related questions from home is grounds for being fired. I'll assume that includes important questions that can't wait. But gently caress it, why risk it?

It's easy to sit on a high horse and look down at the common folk, but be completely honest with yourself here. If you can say "Yeah, I'd take being fired to do what should be done despite personal loss" then you're a much better person than I am.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

three posted:

There is no way you would be fired for reporting a pedophile.

Do it, hope you get fired, then sue for millions.

Last week I didn't think it was possible to be fired for answering a question on your day off. you learn something new every day though.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

If I had to guess, I'd say the woman was wearing to much (any is to much for some people) perfume. Put depending on the age of the child, possibly the smell of feces.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

BeardedFerret posted:

So today we have two floor staff today from a potential group of four thanks to everyone else being clever and quitting. Two managers two, one of whom knows absolutely nothing about we're doing. We're supposed to have eight staff total. We are SO hosed.

I predict at least one writeup and a talking to the other one about keeping pace. I also suspect one manager will do everything away from people, despite multiple requests to do so from everybody.

I wish I could believe they'd have a religious experience and hire more people.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

"Cthulhu line 2, Cthulhu call on line 2."

Is that a Collect call?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Nerobro posted:

I'm not sure what to tell you. I sounds like you were just astonishingly bad as a ticket taker. Half of your complaints would be the same for any job that doesn't include a cubicle.

I have never seen (non fast food) cashiers or ticket takers ever move from one loving spot. I'd sooner cut off a leg then suffer that 8 hours a day, 5 days a week :suicide: Atleast with other retail jobs you can walk around.