Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I wouldn't have found the thread without the banner ad, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
gently caress that, base ten superiority. :colbert:

I don't need to know 5k whatever feet in a mile, all I have to do is slide the decimal point around.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

baquerd posted:

His store manager would probably be in legal poo poo with Starbucks if they caught wind of it. You can't just put up signage, use the uniforms, and claim you're another store. <Regional Grocery Store> cannot dress their employees up in wal-mart uniforms, put up the sign, etc. just because they're reselling merchandise bought from them.
Yes they can.

Starbucks licenses their brand when they wouldn't be able to get their product in a location otherwise. Starbucks calls them "Licensed Concepts"

Sort of like a franchise. It looks like a Starbucks, but is run by somebody else. They generally don't accept Starbucks cards.

Some places off the top of my head: Airports, University campuses, retail stores (Safeway/Target)

The "Starbucks" in the Safeway are Safeway employees. The one at the airport are HMS employees, etc.

Here's a list of licensed concepts.

edit: What did you think the guy's manager went and stole a bunch of Starbucks stuff and did up his store?

less than three fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 19, 2010

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

That being said, the guy that runs that website is basically crazy, and has terrible web design. How in the hell does he make money to travel the continent (and the world) to buy overpriced coffee?

Not sure. It was just the first link in Google for licensed stores. :iiam:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Zhentar posted:

My guess is that it comes down to two main factors. One is not the research itself, but rather how it used - most of these corporate-y people don't have a scientific background, and as such they've never learned how to properly read research papers; it doesn't matter how good the research is if you don't correctly understand what it does and does not mean.

I think another factor, is that they have done the research, and they figure out that

Profits from demanding XYZ at checkout > Lost business from people who are so turned off they stop shopping at your store

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

BeardedFerret posted:

Alcohol helps.

Good on you for complaining though. Maybe if enough people let the fuckers know how bad it is they'll stop.

My company's just introduced a $33 charge for doing a loving SIM replacement if you've lost your prepaid phone. For something that can take as little as twenty seconds.

I don't know what the gently caress.

$40 SIM cards have been standard in Canada forever. :canada:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

InstantInfidel posted:

We're sending cars through practically bumper to bumper, and there were eleven collisions in the tunnel before the day is halfway over. Most of the people were responsible and came back around to exchange insurance information, but two younger pricks decided that they were going to run. The law says, then, that we pay for the damage. The damage comes out of my loving bonus check.

Do you not have security cameras that would grab their plate number?

edit: Also, the law is kind of weird. It's not like a business has to pay for damage if there's a hit and run in their parking lot. (Right? :ohdear:)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

The General posted:

For whatever reason, I get serious vertigo when walking up/down broken escalators. It's truly bizarre.

Same. I think it has to do with the awkward size of the steps and being so accustomed to them moving.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

MaxDuo posted:

white people who as far as I can tell are native to our country do it the second most. So what's their excuse....?

ugh, yes.

At least when other people do it, it's generally over quick. Most of my enraging experiences over it have been with white, middle aged women.

:byodame: THIS IS DAMAGED GIVE ME A DISCOUNT!

The clothing shop I was at, we didn't really have a policy on damaged goods discounts, it was more of a discretionary thing.

In my original friendly attitude I'd shrug it off and give some kind of discount, but then I slowly started noticing people ruining piles of neatly folded clothing searching for that one DAMAGED ITEM so they could demand a discount on it.

Eventually the conversations turned into this
:byodame: LOOK AT THIS MINOR DAMAGE CAN I GET A DISCOUNT ON IT!?
:haw: (smug overly friendly retail persona) Oh wow, thank you for noticing this! We'll get that taken care of, put new stuff out. We wouldn't want to sell you an imperfect product. *takes item and throws it into a damaged goods bin*
:byodame: but.. but. DISCOUNT!
:haw: Oh don't worry, I'll go get you a non damaged version of that shirt. :smugdog: Sorry about that!

Those moments made my employment almost bearable.

But if you weren't a dick, I'd go the extra mile for you. You need size X of garment Y? Oh we don't have it, but here give me your $25 and we'll send it to you FedEx from another store across the country. Shipping? Oh no don't worry about it, we'll eat the $40 FedEx fare just to make YOU happy! :haw:

less than three fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 4, 2011

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Our espresso machine broke today, rendering us unable to make pretty much every drink on the menu. We put up multiple signs- including one on the register itself and one on the main door to the store- but roughly every other customer tried to order something we couldn't make despite the fact that they had to pass by at least three signs in order to get to the register and were currently standing in front of a sign itself.

Back when I worked at Starbucks, something happened to the city's water reservoir so it was a boil water requirement for the whole city. The espresso machines didn't heat water up to a high enough temperature to be 'safe' so we couldn't sell any espresso beverages. (Nobody in the city could. Fast food places had to use cans/bottles instead of fountain soda, etc.)

This didn't prevent a sizeable portion of the people to come in to act all :saddowns: and/or :byodame: that we wouldn't sell them their latte.

Why the gently caress are you getting angry at us, we didn't do anything. And they'd get angrier when they'd demand we ignore the advisory and make the drink anyways, and we'd say no.

Yeah, I bet you're the same god drat person who'd jump on the chance to sue if we did make it (at your request) and then you got sick.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Cease to Hope posted:

I work for one of the Globe & Mail's top 100 employers, after all. They even got an A+ for pay and benefits, so they must be doing something right. Right?

If I'm reading the same company on G&M's list, all the fantasticness about them is how they treat the corporate/salaried employees, not the retail peons.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Compile a map to see what areas shop most at the store and send flyers to those neighbourhoods etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh hey, Target has redone their (then 2011) union boogeyman video!

http://gawker.com/behold-targets-br...dium=socialflow