Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

The Robins Taley posted:

Come on. I think maybe people think bleach is more harmful than it really is. They put bleach in swimming pools and drinking water. Such a small amount, even for an infant, is not harmful.

Also, I didn't open up the store for lawsuits. I'm just a lowly retail drone working the register. The decision to put items back in shelves doesn't involve me.

I'm not buying groceries that have had any amount of bleach dripped on them from a product that was busted. Why would you even expect them to? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

Spork Heidelberg posted:

You are a doormat. Either quit your job or speak up and demand some days off. Jesus.

Seriously. You also need to stop overworking to make up for other people. You're not the supervisor (as far as I can tell), so why are you doing other people's jobs?

three
Aug 9, 2007

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

That's the poo poo thing it's impossible to do. I work for an owner\franchisee not a big corporation. It's all personal. I've spent the last two years (almost 3) whining my rear end off about getting everyone to carry their weight and it falls to yeses and oks and someone gets yelled at then in a week it's back to the poo poo again. I am a upper level peon due to the fact that we don't have managers the buck stops at the owner. So I have a bit of power but god forbid if I upset the precious little snowflakes. It is just such a bizarre situation all around due to the lack of hierarchy. On a personal level we're treated well like I said it's just there is no real order of command and it's hurting everyone. Boss refuses to let someone else take the reigns as far as crew goes so we all just answer to him which would be fine if there weren't about 25 of us in three different businesses.

As far as letting poo poo fail, it's just not in my nature not to mention the fact if the wrong person happens to wander in for an inspection we're screwed and could all end up jobless. Uggh yeah I am a door mat (a girl door mat).

When I was younger working retail, I knew some people that shared your attitude. They acted like the whole store depended on them and if they didn't do absolutely everything then the whole place would go under.

I assure you that is never the case. You, and those people, are just overworking yourselves and making your lives miserable.

To confirm this: if you've ever said "IF I LEAVE, THAT WHOLE PLACE IS SCREWED" then you're probably the above situation.

three fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 30, 2010

three
Aug 9, 2007

silversiren posted:

I really dislike when people pull the "I KNOW YOU CAN USE THIS!!" or "I KNOW YOU CAN USE THIS BECAUSE I'VE HAD OTHER PEOPLE DO IT BEFORE THEY JUST TOLD ME ARRGGHHHH!!!" stuff because you know it's not true. I have people come in all the time that will tell me, "I was just in here a few hours ago and whoever rung me up let me do it." "I was just in here yesterday and they let me do it." "The manager said I could! You know, he's the short man, he was wearing a dark suit." <-- which is especially hilarious because the manager at my store is an inch under 7 feet tall and has never ever once worn a suit.
My favorite was when this lady came in and bought 14 things of grape juice. They were buy one get one so she was only paying for 7 things of the juice but she had 14 coupons for a dollar off each one. When she handed me the coupons, I only rung up 7 of them and handed the rest back to her so she could use them another time, explaining that I could not use the coupons for something she technically wasn't paying for. She immediately gets on the defense and tells me that she "does it all the time and as a matter of fact I was in here just this morning and I was allowed to do it!!" Luckily, one of my coordinating managers was nearby so I grabbed her to help defuse the situation, but that only seemed to make things worse since the lady was upset that she wasn't an ACTUAL manager and "didn't know anything more than the cashier knows, let me speak to the REAL MANAGER!!!!" We had to wait for what seemed like forever because the manager on duty was in the back busy with something. By the time he got around to us, the lady was bitching and complaining so much that he was like, "Just.. just give it to her, please." So the lady got $7 for free because she got money off of something she didn't even pay for.

Why are all retail managers the most cowardly losers in the entire world?

three
Aug 9, 2007

Your morals/ethics are worth $7.00/hr?

three
Aug 9, 2007

There is no way you would be fired for reporting a pedophile.

Do it, hope you get fired, then sue for millions.

three
Aug 9, 2007

It sounds like you'd be eligible for government assistance, is that not a route you've pursued?

three
Aug 9, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

So my friend has a friend who runs a retro gaming store. Amazingly business is good. Not good enough to pay my friend when she works there, but enough that after months of working for free, she gets a paying spot. Nice.

So the owner decides they are moving from spot A in the mall to spot B. A few days ago my friend heads in to open the store and finds it robbed. In total, they got over 20K worth of poo poo.

The move must go on, but my friend isn't being paid for her 60 hour workweek, that now includes remodeling the new store, running inventory, and designing the new place with vintage characters and the like.

Now, I'm all for helping friends, but even I would be hard pressed to work fulltime for a friend for no cash. She, however, doesn't have a job (she used to work retail, made pretty good money, and then quit because she didn't like the stress. Understandable, totally. She went into making websites which pays the bills, but now is full time and over working in this game store. No websites for months now.) and has no issue doing the same exact poo poo she used to get paid for, for free.

It just boggles my mind that her paying job, one where she sits at home and does it and says she enjoys it, is coming second fiddle now to working in her friend's store, again, for no pay. Her day starts about 8am, and she gets home about 10pm. Repeat cycle six to seven days a week. And the days she isn't at the store she's looking for contacts for them or doing other work for the store.

For free.

Am I the only one who thinks this is loving insane?

Does she have a crush on the other friend?

three
Aug 9, 2007

TShields posted:

Speaking of tipping, there is a place to write in tips on receipts from Moe's, a chain with loving amazing burritos.. But am I really expected to tip there? Not to sound cheap or anything, but all you did was make my burritos. Taco Bell does that, and they don't expect tips, and the ensuing stomach problems are the same from both.

I was told the tips dont even actually go to the employees. The owner just keeps them.

three
Aug 9, 2007

I get it. The lady was trying to be nice and make a joke to the cashier. That sounds unbearable.

three
Aug 9, 2007

silversiren posted:

I missed work again today to go to the emergency room for ongoing mysterious serious illness. This means I now have 8 hours for this entire week.
Glad I don't gave any real bills to pay or I'd be hosed.
I also had to practically beg for them to accommodate my illness at work today, even though I had two doctor's notes stating what I needed done: a stool and nothing else. It took them an hour to find me a stool and in that time I almost fell just from standing several times. I should have just fallen and cracked my head and sued the poo poo out of them.
And while they did manage to find a replacement for me quickly, they gave me grief and literal eyerolls when I told them I needed to go to the ER.
"Great place to work", my loving rear end.

If you only work 16 hours a week, you couldn't find time in the other 152 hours to go to the doctor instead? I only say this because you state it is "ongoing".

three
Aug 9, 2007

Part-Time Robot posted:

Last summer I had a 13/14-year-old kid ask me if I worked there while I was standing behind the counter AT THE REGISTER. I said "I wouldn't be back here if I didn't" before I could stop myself. His mom got pissed and said I didn't need to get smart with him, and they ended up leaving when I said it was a valid answer. Granted, it may not have been the most appropriate response... but come on.

Last Saturday a woman was looking for magazines to ship to the prison and asked if we had a certain magazine. I said no, so she asked for another. Again, no. She asked how I knew and I said, "I do the magazines every week." "Well, can you get a certain magazine?" "We really have no say over it, it's whatever the magazine company sends us." She started getting very huffy and said, "I just want a little help here! Every time I come in, you're very rude to me! Everyone else is very cordial but you're always rude!" I didn't recognize her whatsoever. I went and got my manager

You kind of sound like you were being a dick in those situations. I mean, that's cool outside of work, but not exactly great customer service.

three
Aug 9, 2007

If you take the coupons, will the manufacture not reimburse you?

three
Aug 9, 2007

I find it interesting how retail managers do their best to suck any possibly niceties out of the job. What does having a drink behind the counter hurt?

I've never heard of "dont have a drink at your desk" in a corporate environment.

three
Aug 9, 2007

NaturalLow posted:

Ha, me and my coworkers got into a stupid debate once because one of them was a poor single mom who had trouble even affording food beyond the basics sometimes. Our male coworkers insisted that she should just go out, find some random strange guy to buy her a nice dinner/things and pay him back for it with sex. All the women pretty much agreed this was basically prostitution with food and gifts as the compensation instead of money, but the guys just could not fathom this idea or why everyone thought it was a terrible idea. Especially since she had a young child at home and was fighting an ugly custody battle with the kid's father (complete with the usual smear tactic bullshit).

:psyduck: What? I can't fathom anyone could say that and not be joking/sarcastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

three
Aug 9, 2007

Why would you try to belittle someone asking for directions?