Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Where do I begin?

Customers who are too stupid to read the sign on the outside of the store.

Customers who ignore you after you tell them something is not in stock and they ask a coworker... repeat ad nauseum

and now, the final straw

Having my hours cut completely out of proportion to all of my coworkers (I have seen a 80% reduction in hours since the end of the holidays. Most any of my coworkers have seen is 25%).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

lohli posted:

Fill your downtime with something you can engage with and find rewarding, be it video-games, exercise, sports, politics, etc.

Oh god yes this.

Though I am partially disabled and have more downtime than most even when I'm not getting poo poo for hours (I went from 15 a week to 3. 3 :smithicide:) it still helps to do something mentally engaging when not at work. Sometimes I catch myself looking up different foods on Wikipedia. For reference, I work in a grocery store :shepicide:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Yeah, I'm putting in an application with the PD in the next town over on Monday as they need a part-time dispatcher. Sure, it's a call center job but at least I'm saving people's lives.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Kimmalah posted:

I don't like the lack of a challenge, but I think for me the sticking point is still having to deal with terrible customers and being treated like poo poo over the stupidest stuff. I can deal with mindless work by having hobbies and stuff, but I just don't have the patience to put up with being verbally abused because some jackass didn't read his coupon or whatever. And it seems every store I look at now wants their employees to "push" something like e-mail sign-ups, credit cards, warranties, and on and on. Which apparently I'm not any good at.

That is one thing I am glad Trader Joe's doesn't do.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Sankis posted:

Somewhat relevant, but to anyone working minimum wage here don't worry. McDonald's has a nice budget on how to survive*.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/202172/mcdonalds-suggested-budget-for-employees-shows-just-how-impossible-it-is-to-get-by-on-minimum-wage/

See? Retail, service and other low/minimum wage jobs aren't bad!

Came here to post this. loving WHAT.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Temperature 99.3 °F
Feels Like 113 °F

GUESS WHO IS STUCK ON CARTS TODAY?

:suicide:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

And in MA you can't even buy it without a permit.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I personally have a zero-tolerance policy on customers hitting me.

I've only ever had to implement it once, 9 years back when I worked at Christmas Tree Shops (Don't ever work there. For that matter, don't ever shop there, either.) when a man sucker punched me in the parking lot after a cart got loose and hit his car on a VERY windy March afternoon. If I ever had that woman, after she hit me I would have refused to further serve her. If she hit me again, cops are getting involved. I don't get paid enough to get hit.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Also, if you do what I do and have a zero-tolerance policy in regards to being hit by customers, make sure to lay it on your boss. I've told every manager I've worked for about it and they have all backed me 100%, hell, the one time I used it, the manager pushed the court (I did press charges) to also serve the rear end in a top hat that hit me a no trespass order. FOR EVERY CHRISTMAS TREE SHOPS STORE IN THE STATE. (My issues with CTS weren't with store management. They were with the shitstain customers we got and Corporate management after the company got bought out by Bed Bath & Beyond. Company went to poo poo after that.)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

2003, right after I got hired. I got to watch the shitshow from the inside.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Got my review today

Good news: "Shows improvement"

Bad News: No raise

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Necrocult posted:

That's some bullshit. Have you tried blackmail?

It's the captain (manager) and 4 mates (assistant managers) that do the reviews. All 5 of them have input on each review. Cheaper/easier to just not get a raise.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Red Suit posted:

We've been sitting on the same gross corn for a month now and we keep trying to put it out on his command but no one buys it, understandably. He's afraid to throw it out because it's a waste of money.

Put in an anonymous tip to the health department, that poo poo is unsanitary to put out at this point. I worked in our 'duce section for a year and that poo poo would never fly, our rule is "if you wouldn't buy, toss it." Plus, for grocery, spoilage losses are a tax deduction (we keep a record of everything we write off).

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Don't worry guys, we're just costs.

http://www.businessinsider.com/business-and-the-economy-2013-7

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

We're switching to an entirely online system for schedules at work. This week has been the soft launch, with it going fully live on Monday. There's a bit of an issue. Management can't print the daily list of everyone who is in on a set day, and as everyone is cross trained for every job in the store, the list is used to show who is where during each 30min block while the store is open. :downsbravo:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

ThreeFish posted:

Ugh. It's been said a million times, but gently caress people who come in 4 seconds before it's time to lock the door. And then just BROWSE. :bang:

The major reason I refuse to work closing shifts, right here.

Also because as I get older I'm becoming less of a night person.

Though tonight I have to stay awake because I'm getting an EEG in ~12 hours

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Necrocult posted:

The one day a year we close is actually pretty fun. We do the announcements starting an hour prior to closing with reminders to get your poo poo and get out every ten minutes. That at closing time we search the store with APs and cops telling people to leave their poo poo and get out. We're pretty nice about it but if your not in line or moving that way by closing you're not getting in one.
Actually reading that back it sounds kind of lovely, but I guess we're all pretty ready to have a holiday off for once.

Whoa what magical fairy land is this?

And what day of the year?

Also, my (least) favorite part about working Memorial Day and December 26th if it is a Monday (if I am, in the 8 years I have worked at this store I have only worked Memorial Day twice and 12/26 has been on a Monday exactly once): Telling people that no, we can't sell alcohol because of Massachusetts law. This despite the fact we have had signs at the entrance and at every register for the past month advertising this fact. No, there are no exceptions, we are not about to risk our liquor license (a full 1/3 of our sales) just for you.

And as a personal rule, I card EVERYONE. I don't care if that is your grandchild hanging off your leg, you're getting carded regardless, I'm not risking my job on the off chance you are a 16 year old in heavy makeup and a wig and it's really you're little brother.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 15, 2013

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Went to work on Friday, wasn't feeling great but I needed the money, get there and boss saw me before I got in the store and said "Go home, you look like you're about to puke. I'll just put you down for a paid sick day."

Worst part? He was right. I barfed in the bushes right after he said that. :barf:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Yeah, I would prefer to get a hotel job, where I live is a business trip destination as Cumberland Farms, Staples, Bose, Gulf Oil (now a subsidiary of Cumby's) and TJX all have their corporate HQs here.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I just applied for a job at my local Whole Foods because I should have gotten my hours at [competing Grocery chain] increased by now but I'm still at 3 hours a week and I haven't gotten a raise in 5 loving years. gently caress that noise.

When you spend more time thinking of ways to rip off your employer instead of being at work, it's loving time to move on.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 7, 2013

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

litany of gulps posted:

For what it's worth, the big questions they asked me at the one Whole Foods interview I went to were "what does organic mean to you?" and "if a customer comes to you asking for help with gluten free dieting, what would you do?"

If you plan on trying to negotiate experience into increased pay, do it during the interview. They're expanding rapidly and trying to hold onto their founding culture, so if you can speak passionately or knowledgably about things like GMOs and the questions above, you're pretty much in.

My area, they pay a minimum of 10/hr for all positions. Some of the guys that were hired in the same group as I was were getting +1/hr per year of prior relevant experience, although I got nothing despite a strong resume.

Good luck!

Yeah, I've worked at a store with a T and a J in its name for going on 8 years now that is also expanding rapidly but at the same time seems to be missing out on their core values (Integrity my rear end, they blatantly lied to me today, and managed to do it with a straight face).

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Yeah, my best friend and his fiancee work at big blue and both agree that it is one of those places that has a reputation that is worse than their experiences.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

GabrielAisling posted:

Orientation at Big Blue was today. Not bad, overall. The "service/replacement plan" video was super cute and cheesy and hilarious. The anti-union video was pretty :tinfoil: paranoia, but still kinda funny. It's a supper affluent middle class store, so hopefully it will be a decent place to work.

My experience is that the more money the customer makes, the more they treat retail workers like trash.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

creatine posted:

Yeah it sucks for people that live in the south :(

Also, I just found out that there are still blue laws in MA that don't allow retail stores to open at all on Thanksgiving without a permit from the state which they haven't issued any since like 2001.

Only 24 hour pharmacies (ie Walgreens, CVS) are allowed to open on Thanksgiving without a permit.

And yeah, MA until 1996 non-grocery/convenience/pharmacy stores weren't allowed to open on Sundays at all. The time and a half on Sundays for all retail over 8 employees thing was the compromise to allow that to happen.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

So it turns out the guy who writes the schedule changed my availability without even so much as notifying me, let alone getting my consent, and because I did not know this and requested Black Friday off (yay grocery), I got screwed out of any hours next week because my availability is set to Fridays 1-4.

In a way I'm lucky I just noticed this because if I had noticed this during the time the guy is at work I would have gone over there and gotten into a shouting match with him. loving rear end in a top hat.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Heading off to my job in a grocery store.

I'm coming off of a really bad cold.

We're expecting 9-15 inches of snow this weekend.

:suicide:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Inudeku posted:

Pretty much. I mean, to be fair those aren't often but 3 and 4 hour shifts are extremely prevelant because they can ask you to stay longer or just cut you an hour in. I've gotten breaks (30 minutes unpaid) on 3 hour shifts. :negative:

At least in my state (MA), the minimum shift is 3 hours.

Which is what my store gives me.

And only one (1) a week.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

creatine posted:

I get $13/hr as a part time butcher right now.

It'd be great if the cost of living wasn't so drat high

$10/hr and I'm in the same loving state.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Oh hey my hours are doubling in two weeks to 6 hours for the whole week

EDIT: thankfully they did this AFTER my 6 month income review for my food stamps :toot:

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 6, 2014

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I work at a Trader Joe's in Massachusetts. I just had a customer ask me if I work here (no I enjoy wearing Hawaiian shirts in the middle of November when it is 35 out and not have a coat anywhere near me) and then asked me where the Charles Shaw (cheap wine we carry) was while I was stacking cases of it.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Worked yesterday (Friday) and today (see my post above for that). Off tomorrow (pro: not working; con: not earning time and a half). Working Mon-Wed. Upside is I get to laze about my apartment afterwards until the 5th (yay being part time and partially disabled). I am sore all over and about to pass out. That said, I far prefer grocery to any other form of retail because for the most part I see the same customers every week.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Today is going to suck.

Tuesday before Thanksgiving AND we're expecting 6-10 inches of snow tomorrow :suicide:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Tomorrow will be worse

At my whole foods we had 600 turkey orders for Wednesday. gently caress

And 6-10 inches of snow means it will be the worst 12 hours ever

Oh and my dad had a heart attack last night so this week can just gently caress off

Snow won't be as bad for you guys inside 128. Not that anyone pays attention to those prediction maps, they just hear the worst amount and freak out.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Less than an hour to go today.

At least I got to see a beautiful sunset while collecting carts

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Saturday: Crazy busy, but understanding customers.
Sunday: gently caress you I was at home watching the Pats and Bruins.
Yesterday: Busy, but understanding customers.
Today: Assholes out in force.

Customer antics today:
  • Had a customer accuse me of being a terrorist because three days ago the entire chain sold out of the one particular item they came into the store for 2 loving days before Christmas.
  • Had a customer try to get me fired because I had a cop ticket him for parking in a handicap spot ("It was only five minutes"). My boss laughed in his face then told him never to come back.
  • Also, while said cop was writing said ticket, had a customer ram me in my bad knee with her carriage because I was in her way (Thankfully I had some vicodin on me or I wouldn't have made it home, much less to the end of my shift). Why was I in her way? I was waiting for the entryway to clear so I could go inside without knocking people over. Cop arrested her for assault. I signed the complaint and will show up for the court dates because while I will tolerate verbal abuse from customers, gently caress you if it turns physical.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 24, 2014

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I did get paid to take a poo poo today. yay.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

A customer actually getting arrested for physically assaulting a retail worker is about as close as this thread is going to get to a Christmas miracle. Hallelujah!

I think it was more the fact she did it in front of a cop (who, in the interests of full disclosure, I happen to be friends with and live literally next door to) than anything else. The other two (!) times I have been assaulted by customers they only got a summons. First one got 6 months probation and 2 years of "Don't even park your car in the lot", second got 1 year suspended sentence and court-ordered anger management classes.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

You guys are all weird. Using public toilets is disgusting, I just pee before and after my shift.

Guess who is the janitor in my store.

Hint: It's me!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

It's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat in Walgreens on Christmas day.
To be fair of the 4 people working at this one today the only one who celebrates Christmas is the manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

posh spaz posted:

I don't "celebrate" Christmas, but I still think it's a bit poo poo that so many places are open. I really enjoyed how everywhere (except some bars/restaurants) shuts down on Sundays/holidays in Germany. They have quite a few holidays there too (10-ish), depending on the state. And if they happen to fall on a Thursday, a lot places are closed Fridays as well.

Well this particular store (not sure if Walgreens exists outside the US) is a 24 hour pharmacy and I needed to fill a prescription for meds I need to take daily and had forgotten to take care of on Tuesday (as it is on my way to/from work)