Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

YF19pilot posted:

To be honest, I think computer ownership and internet access is to the point that even homeless bums and West Virginia hillbillies who still chop wood for heat and don't have actual running water have them. About the only people without computers and internet are the Amish, but even then the pollsters think they're lying.

The Amish have cellphones, because they "don't have moving parts" (sure thing buddy). Cellphones are tiny computers at this point, it's not much of a leap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

left_unattended posted:

Sunday - find needle on floor of shop.

Is this a metaphor? Or did you mean you found a used syringe?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

left_unattended posted:

Customers are required to wear pants at all times whilst on the premises. This is not discrimination.

What about ladies wearing skirts, huh? Oh, it's OK for them but not me?

:bahgawd:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

You should encourage him to go to the press and tell his story. That woman deserves to have her business ruined.

Pawn shop owner morally questionable, film at 11.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Buggiezor posted:

I may be mistaken but I was under the impression if you got fired for "Misconduct" you wouldn't get unemployment. And if you quit you don't get it either. So does that really just depend on what the Owner puts as the reason for termination? If she does try to challenge the unemployment because he was negligent or something, I don't know if we could really prove that he wasn't.
He said the customer had him standing there for over 30 minutes looking at this ring and that ring and this other ring, and like those money exchanging scams where they try to confuse you with too much cash, he just lost track of one of the rings.

Also we agree with OneThousandMonkeys that its not really worth getting the media involved. It's just a lovely policy at a lovely job.

If he "quit" because he effectively could not continue the job, it's almost certainly constructive dismissal and he could fight for unemployment. Of course, if he's in a bad part of the country, he could be screwed.

As with all things, ask a lawyer that specializes in this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

That sounds odd. So if I am an employer, and I want to "fire" you by dropping your hours to 0 indefinitely, you cannot claim uninsurance, because you "quit"?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

Everywhere outside big cities.

You mean in the Midwest or something? Are the pumps completely mechanical? I've never seen this.

Frankly, your boss needs better surveillance too if people are getting gas and driving off without paying, seeing as their vehicle has a huge "THIS IS ME" sticker on it and it seems like an open and shut theft case.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Irish Joe posted:

No, the pumps have to be turned on by the cashier/attendant. The situation with this guy, if I'm understanding it right, is that he's only supposed to activate pumps when a license plate is fully visible on the security cameras. Unfortunately, people know how to scam the system and are pulling up in ways to avoid the cameras. While he's supposed to require prepay in those situations, he's not doing his job and authorizing the pumps anyway, leading to the frequent drive-offs he's experiencing.

Well it's a good thing that there can't possibly be cameras pointing at the entrance and exit routes along with timestamps to correlate the footage :psyduck:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EugeneJ posted:

I went to a Full Service gas station last year unknowingly, and when some guy ran up to my car and asked what he could do for me, I just kind of stared at him for 30 seconds in stunned silence.

Then I was like "nah, I'm good" and he got pissed off and went back inside.

I had no idea Full Service was still a thing post-1990.

It's quite the thing in New Jersey, where all gas stations are Full Service by law, and you may not pump your own gas.

It's always a little strange when I go to another state, and it takes me a few second to remember that I need to get out and pump the gas.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pakled posted:

I bet it's hysteria over cell phones causing fires at gas pumps.

Either that, or slightly more justified hysteria over static electricity causing fires.

This law predates cellphone use.

Meow Cadet posted:

It's so the Government can say they are job creators.

Yeah, basically this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Zo posted:

I don't know where you got "gently caress off with no notice" from but what is wrong with being expected to take sick/personal days to make interviews?

Also :lol: at the guy who was suggesting that somewhere between 9-5 was "unreasonable hours" for an interview.

How many personal days do you get? What happens if you exceed this number? Are your days off paid or unpaid? If you take a sick day, will you still make rent? Do you need to schedule your sick days in advance?

How many jobs do you expect a candidate to interview at before getting hired? How many days off might that take? I'm a pretty smart guy and a good interviewer, and that number is larger than "1" for every time I've started job hunting.

The mismatch between these questions and the consequences therein is why people are rightly making GBS threads on this. You're implicitly biasing yourself against candidates who don't have the flexibility to just pick any arbitrary day for an interview.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Inco posted:

People are weird. About a year after the government stopped minting pennies, I had a guy straight up screaming about how the total was $XX.98 or something and that he wants those two cents and how we're stealing from him or some poo poo. We didn't even have any pennies in the store to give him because we can't buy pennies and no one pays with pennies. Some people.

I saw an old man scream that he wanted a cashier fired because was shorted a penny. I was strongly tempted to just give him a quarter and tell him to leave it be but that probably would have made things worse.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

He started out in 2005, initially collaborating with Rhapsody of Fire; but in the years following he released several Heavy Metal christmas EPs and 2 full length heavy metal Albums; Charlemagne: By the Sword and the Cross in 2010 and Charlemagne: The Omens of Death in 2013. This is one of the music videos from the albums https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKRbi2ovDY

I highly recommend people watch it.

I could not stop laughing watching this.

Anora posted:

I was checking out a mom and her family, when one of the kids says, "mom, I have to pee," moms asks why she didn't go earlier, then the girl just pees herself. No conversation break, just Line A, Line B, pee. Luckly I had help, so someone cleaned up the pee quickly. God, today was just, ugh...

As the parent of recently toilet trained children, that's basically how it goes.

Parent: Pee before we go
Kid: I don't have to pee!
Parent: Just try anyway
Kid: ok, nothing came out
(30 minutes later)
Kid: uh oh I need to potty
Parent: ok let's ge-
Kid: pees

Sorry you had to deal with it too.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Zenithe posted:

This feral family that lives next door to our store and has been banned for stealing

Please post the rest of this story if it's any good

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Anora posted:

So I got fired from a certain store recently for "Being rude."

Just found out the manager that fired me was fired, as well as like most of the management staff, for basically sleeping around with each other. Kind of wondering if I should find a lawyer who works in wrongful termination.

Unless you have specific evidence that they were out to get you in a legally protected way, it's an uphill battle at best.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

Wait, "got a higher paying job" puts you on the do not rehire list? That's bizarre. I mean, corporate is different of course but when I left my last job my boss asked why and I said "20% payrise" and he shook my hand and wished me well. It's stupid to refuse to employ someone again because they improved their lives.

If someone left because they're moving up in the world, and then they came back to their lovely old job, why?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EugeneJ posted:

Doesn't having a chip reader excuse the retailer from liability if a card gets used fraudulently

Do stores still not have chip readers

USA is Chip and Signature, not Chip and Pin, and no one ever checks the signature. Yes, really. Yes, we know. It prevents skimming at least.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cowslips Warren posted:

What the hell is a dry coffee.

You put in less vermouth

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Zenithe posted:

turn off the car while in the carwash.

Uh, just put it in neutral, you don't have to turn it off.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MC Hawking posted:

Something like that. Texas liquor laws are goofy as heck.

The tabc is fuckin' silly and incredibly corrupt. On a more positive note since my previous post I reiterated to my boss that I'd found in store trainers and would do the legwork if he'd foot the bill to make sure these retards are certified because it's his rear end if they gently caress up. He seemed quite amenable to the idea after I reminded him of our previous conversation(s) where he'd checked to see if the guy who trained our sister store died and is no longer available. Working for the universes most forgetful human certainly can get frustrating.

This makes more sense. It's establishing that you're actively trying to prevent the sale of alcohol to minors instead not caring if it happens. So less "you can drive without a license" (which you can't, unless you built your own private roads) and more "if one of your employees causes a fatal traffic accident while working, you made sure that they actually had a driver's license instead of not caring if they can safely drive or not, so this isn't your fault now"

Incredibly dumb to not insist that all servers have up to date licenses since that now puts the fuckup and the consequences on to the owner

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Beastie posted:

Mynocks, chewing on the power cables.

Shaka, when the wires fell.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Zenithe posted:

Had some person fill up their vehicle again without having any way to pay for it. Generally I'm sympathetic to these sort of people, as the problem is the system. She went through the usual routine of empathy -> abuse, and then said she'd try and talk to the next person on shift (I was about to finish mine) and see if they would "be more reasonable".

For the record, do not gently caress with graveyard workers who are just starting their shift. If she thought I was the Bad Cop in this scenario she was very much mistaken.

How are you not requiring prepay?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Coffee as black as my heart

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Elmnt80 posted:

Somehow in 3 years, nobody has spray painted our shelves on the paint aisle. The only time I caught someone about to do it, I told them to hold on and I'd get them a piece of cardboard out of the back to test on. It was the color they were looking for and they bought it.

Of course now that I've said that, someones going to spraypaint a dick in the middle of the aisle tomorrow night. :classiclol:

And that someone was you

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'm disappointed to learn about Drain Egg

:douche:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

"Do you want to taste this?" Uh no, it's still gonna be pastrami right?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yawgmoth posted:

I would say yes just for the opportunity to have more pastrami. It is truly the greatest of the cured meats.

A fair point

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Inspector 34 posted:

Where do you live that allows employers to specifically descriminate against people who use public transportation or bike or walk to work? I mean unless you're delivering pizzas or something that requires your own vehicle why do they even give a poo poo how you get to and from work?

It's not unreasonable to require a reliable form of transportation if it's expected that the employee may need to be effectively on call and appear on short notice. If the employee has a relative who can drive them instead or whatever it still works.

"Car owner" is not a protected class.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Anora posted:

The put in an EAS at work (door beeper things if some one steals) two weeks ago. They had to cut into the ground to lay wire for it. They activated it yesterday at 8pm. One side doesn't work.

What actually happens when those beep on a shoplifter as opposed to going off accidentally or with someone who immediately pats their pockets and goes "oh shoot"? My assumption has been that those things are like the obvious "smile you're on TV" cameras to deter but ultimately do little/nothing

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

What actually happens is that honest people freeze and shoplifters bolt.

There’s also my favorite shoplifting scam, where a well dressed white guy and a poorly dressed black guy worked together—the white guy would stuff the pockets of his overcoat while the black guy wandered aimlessly around (and if any loss prevention staff were around they’d invariably be following him). Then they’d walk out together, the alarm would go off and the black guy who was carrying nothing would occupy the attention of everyone nearby yelling about racism and poo poo while the white guy happily walked back to his car with the loot, which they’d divide later. :allears:

This is poetic

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pentaghastly posted:

Bias training is today.

I, for one, am glad I'm being paid to not make 400 frappucinos and deal with customers this afternoon.

Even if that does mean I have to watch training modules on an iPad being shared with 8 other people for four hours.

I'd love to know details on what happened, is it just "watch a movie, sign this paper, RACISM IS SOLVED" or was there an actual effort?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pentaghastly posted:

Very cringey scenario was like "I saw a group of teenagers and immediately thought 'oh there going to order a bunch of frappucinos' but sometimes! they dont always do that. Sometimes they get caramel macchiatos and passion teas with classic syrup. My bias was WRONG"

:psyduck:

quote:

Also COLOR BRAVE was a theme

At least they addressed it a little. I'm curious how much, if any, lasting impact that training makes. Did anyone have a profound relevation about the nature of race in America?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pentaghastly posted:

Look, I really just don't want to hear from customers tomorrow about our bias training and its a difficult burden to place on my coworkers who arent white to lead a discussion with a white customer about race and what happened today. I live in the bible belt in a predominantly white suburb. Our customers are racist as gently caress.

Understood, sorry if I was pressuring you to answer about this. It sounds like it was actually done in an interesting and useful way :unsmith:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Those of you considering a move into healthcare should read the best thread (and especially Elise's effortposts)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pentaghastly posted:

Its also funny because I just spent the last four hours busting my rear end because my coworker was "having a bad day" and didnt want to be on bar. Literally watching her dawdle behind the register and text between customers while I'm running back and forth

And then I get to do dishes and run trash before I leave :)

But this isn't really a mental need to do work but more of a complete inability to say no and being a doormat

Have you considered giving less of a poo poo about your job?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

therobit posted:

I want to know his much a tank of gas costs there vs how many man hours you just described because that sounds hilarious. Are there controls in place too make sure it is hard to steal gas?

A stupid SUV with a 25 gallon tank could easily suck down a c-note with gas prices what they are.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Faerunner posted:

I'd like to think that $6 a gallon would lead to people taking public transportation here, but let's get real... all those people who threatened to stop driving when gas hit $1 a gallon (and then $2, and now $3) are still on the road.

That's partly because there's no real options for public transit in most places of America :ssh:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OneTruePecos posted:

Applebee's might be worse, but I can tell you from experience that McDonald's and Pizza Inn have a more pleasant customer base than a PC parts shop. Restaurants employ way more coke fiends, but I'd rather work with coke fiends than deal with PC enthusiasts as customers.

:justpost:

It's obvious you need to vent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Just light it on fire and walk away