Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I just started working retail on Saturday. Please take this in the nicest way possible, but I hope this is the only time I have to post in this thread. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

roboshit posted:

Don't worry, it won't be.

Yeah, you called it. But, not because of customer idiocy (just yet).

I work for a bookstore chain (not B&N). It's pretty laid back. Just wanted to point out that so far, the funniest thing I heard all week was from an older, black woman looking through our collectible tin signs. One of the tins must have had the king on it, because she just blurts out "Boy, the Elvis Presley is one good lookin' white boy. But they ain't got no Michael Jackson!"

Contrast that to a woman who is having a tearful conversation with her family over a phone, because she's arranging a funeral. She bought a $1.49 book about how to bury the dead, while sobbing... I didn't get say my usual "Have a great day" after that transaction...

Oh, well. I'm off until Friday. So far, so good.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Yesterday I met a goon at work. :unsmith:

He asked the question wrong. :smith:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

SpartanIV posted:

Hey I had the shirt on! People could fake the question or know it through lurking, but only a true goon would have a GET OUT shirt on, or recognize it.

edit: also I feel the need to justify my purchase of Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise to you by saying it was a gift for someone. You didn't say anything but I could feel you judging me

I played the first one on 360. Not my position to judge.

EDIT: Also, I'm totally wearing my CNST jersey the next time there's a game in town.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

SpartanIV posted:

So today? :v:

also, as I've posted before, I work at a Target Starbucks. So I not only have Target managers but also a Starbucks manager. After leaving work today I ran into my Starbucks district manager and her manager in a sandwich shop where I went for lunch. We started talking and she asked if I had heard about the manager position I applied for and through an amazing series of sentences, I managed to imply that another nearby Target Starbucks that is also in her district is filthy(which it is) in front of her boss. So that was an amazing foot-in-mouth moment and I'm still cursing myself for being an idiot but I'll apologize profusely next time I see her and hope she doesn't hold it against me(she will). :suicide:

Did the Cowgirls play today? I know the Rangers are in NYC right now. Either way, today was my day off.

Do you work at the Target off of Green Oaks? My neighbor works at that one.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

SpartanIV posted:

Nope, the one in Euless.

How's business at your store? It always seems busy the few times I come in. I would expect with the economy being what it is, that discounted book stores like yours see an increase in business.

It's busier than I'd like, but not as busy as the managing staff would like. On a personal note, I'd prefer the one customer that pays 100 dollars for a stash of books over 100 customers paying 1 dollar for a book. I understand that this isn't expansive enough of a business plan, I just hate ringing people up for 1 item at a time. It's like finding a penny in the parking lot 100 times vs. finding a dollar once. You're always going to remember that dollar...

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Week 3 Retail Report:
I have yet to run into any real problems. So far, so good. There is, however, a list of people that I could do without:

1. Phone Talkers. Either at the counter or around the store. I don't care what growth you had to have removed from which body part. I don't care that your cousin Dale just got fired for selling store merchandise. I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR KIDS' GRADES. You are in a public area and I just heard you give out some personal info I don't need to know. It's worse at the counter because I can't tell you the price of the books you purchased without feeling like I'm interrupting your obviously 'too-important-to-put-the-phone-down-phone-call.'

2. Indecisive People. An appropriate response to "Would you like a bag?" is "Yes." or "No." Not "I don't care." My company makes a 5 cent donation to a charitable cause each time a customer declines a bag. It doesn't matter if you just bought a bookmark, if you say no, that charity gets some cash. I have to put that in as a line item BEFORE I accept payment. If you say, "No, I don't need a bag" and I've already taken money from you and you say "Actually, yeah gimme a bag." Great. I just 'lied.' The opposite is even worse, because then the charity doesn't get that nickel.

3. Anyone who pays with a check. gently caress. YOU. It's 2010. The ONLY time you should EVER use a check is if you are paying your rent, or sending a gift to your grandchildren. To anyone who doesn't know, here's what I have to do to ring up a check:
-Make sure the dollar amount is correct. Did you write $19.84 instead of $18.94? Apologize to the line behind you and start over.
-Check the date. I don't work the same days each week. I don't know what day it is. We can't accept post dated checks.
-Check their ID to make sure the names and addresses match. Then write down their ID number, expiration date and telephone number.
-Run the check through Telecheck to see if they approve it. Not approved? Thanks for wasting 5 minutes.
-Approved? Write the approval code and initial.

Want to know what I have to ring up a debit card?
-Swipe card. Transaction over.

I get psyched out, too, because people will break out their checkbook and I'll silently groan. But they just use the ledger in the back to track their expenses and hand me their debit card and I'll breathe a sigh of relief. But now, I can't tell if they're going to do that or write a goddamn check.

The company I work for is totally Green. The donation for declining a bag goes to an environmental charity. We sell reusable bags. The whole company was founded on the principle that being successful does not exclude being environmentally responsible. Checks waste paper and time; we should totally have a promotion that supports their abolishment.

TL;DR- Get off your phone. Make up your drat mind. People who pay with checks are Satan's rear end in a top hat.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Zero Star posted:

Oh, and to people who remark "Oh, that's fresh, I printed it earlier today! :haw:" as the cashier checks your money: You aren't funny or original.

I get this all the time, as well as "Well, there's no price tag on it, it must be free."

gently caress you. I hear this everyday. Be original.

Then again, I do tell the same jokes to multiple customers a day, so I guess I don't really practice what I preach.

Management makes us page them whenever a bill bigger than $20 is offered. It's policy, but I think it makes us look suspicious of otherwise innocent customers. I can tell the difference between a real and fake bill just by holding it in my hands, and I recognize that the call for a manager is to protect the cashier from liability, but I still just wish they'd let us handle it ourselves, because it usually is during a rush and I don't want to keep customers waiting.

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 25, 2010

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

MaxDuo posted:

Yes... I hate these. They happen almost EVERY TIME. The worst is if two people are together and are both paying separately. Both pay with a big bill I have to check and both make the joke. Ugh.

They don't let us keep more than 100 bucks in twenties in the register (though I break this rule all the time).

I know as SOON as I deposit our 20s in the drop box, some dick with a hundo is going to show up, there goes my precious 10s.

I can't WAIT until someone calls racism on me. My grandfather is black, and my mother is hispanic. My step dad was a muslim and my dad is a pollack. The only people who can make a case for themselves are Asians and the Irish, and I loving love take-out and drinking. :fsmug:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

From what I gathered from the manual I had to read and videos I had to watch, "Can I help you find something?" is retail for "Hi, I've seen your face and I can I.D. you if you shoplift."

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Fury1671 posted:

Complete and utter insignificant bullshit that just drives me up a wall is when my co-workers say "How can I help you find something?" I don't know? Aren't you supposed to know how to help me? I know its meaningless, I know its pointless to even think about, but it just irks me so much.

Since I started, my progression of helping guests has gone from "Can I help you find something? to "Need help finding something?" to "Need any help?" to "Need help?" I'm trying to figure out a way to get it down to one word or possibly a grunt.

"Nyelp?"

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Sonic Dude posted:

Store manager: "This is Joe Schmoe, he's one of our best salespeople! Joe, why don't you come over here and meet Soandso? She's my manager!"
Regional manager: "Hi, Joe! What's your favorite thing about working here?"
Joe: <long pause> "Oh, crap. What was it you told me to say again? I remember it was something about the people, but I forget the wording."
Regional manager: :aaa:
Store manager: :suicide:

This got a hardy guffaw out of me; thank you.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

I. HATE. CHILDREN.

9/10 of them are loud, attention seeking "GIMME-GIMME" screamers. I had a family come in today where the kid wouldn't even hand me his book so I could scan it. It wouldn't be a problem if it had a generic price tag on it, but it had a scanned one, and that's how we track inventory. The whole time, his rear end-wipe parents are playing the appeasement/ignore game.

When I was a kid, if I pulled anything like that, BOTH my parents would have taken my rear end to the bathroom and smacked the poo poo out of me. I never screamed in a store, I never shouted "BUT I WANT IT!"

Parents: Beat your kids, because I'm going to get fired if I have to do it.

Conversely, 1/10 of kids are a delight. I was behind the counter, on the ground pulling DVDs out of our gamestop-esque holding drawers when I hear a very faint "Excuse me." I slowly get to my feet, and I see a little girl peering over the counter top, as she's only just tall enough to see over it. She politely asks where the children section is and I send her on her way. She and her mother return to the desk about 10 minutes later, and she's chosen 1 book and a book mark. We have these stickers that we're supposed to give away to anyone, but I only give them away to cool parents and nice kids. When she got her sticker, she smiled and said "Yay! Sticker! Thank you." I should have just given her the whole spool of stickers.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Casull posted:

Hey Dodgeball, remember when you said your first post was going to hopefully be your last?

Congratulations, you are now one of us. :haw:

Yeah, but I still hold out hope for humanity (I hated kids before working retail). We'll see how unshaken that is, post Black Friday, though.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Chicken Doodle posted:

What loving moon world do you live on that pays you $22/hr to bag groceries? :psypop:

And why would you want to leave it?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

*They actually say to make something up if nothing about the service plan "excites" you.

"I, personally, like how it inflates the price of the item I'm purchasing. Makes me sound richer when I tell my friends I paid 5 hundred dollars for my microwave, and it gives me that extra feeling of security knowing my investment is covered."

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

manguero posted:

On my last day of work I wanted to sell the store credit card by pointing out its great features, such as increasing our shareholders' dividends.

"I, personally, LOVE that the store credit card is 100% sterile, and is incapable of giving you AIDS. You will never get AIDS from our credit card. Would you like to fill out the application?"

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

manguero posted:

"One of MY favorite things about the card is that each enrollment contributes to my managers' quarterly bonuses. Oh, no ma'am, I don't get any commission."

"Would you like a service plan for your credit card? It's very cost effective: It's costs just pennies a day... Several hundred..."

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Dell_Zincht posted:

My store started playing Christmas music on the 1st November. Yeah, BEFORE Bonfire Night.

It's the most wonderful time of the yearrrrrrrr....

''No. No it is not.''

Meanwhile, my store is playing Pat Boone's "In a Metal Mood." It's quite possibly the greatest thing ever.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

SpartanIV posted:

So some anonymous guy had a small bouquet of roses from 1800flowers delivered to our store today for a cashier. The greeting card was completely blank and she has no idea who it could be, but whoever it was knew her full name and work schedule.

Seems like there might be another goon working there. :v:

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

Or she has a stalker.

I'd be kinda freaked out if I randomly got a bouquet.

Did she like them? :ohdear: Was she wearing that red shirt I like?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

SpartanIV posted:

Ya she seemed happy to get it but everyone else that I talked to about it thought it was super creepy.

:tinfoil:

Dude, you work at Target. That was an easy one.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

SpartanIV posted:

Well duh, I wasn't actually afraid you were the stalker.

Just checkin

:tinfoil::hf::cheers:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

JackTheTripper posted:

Most retail workers only hear from people bitching about something they aren't satisfied with and not anything that gets done right. I know that I do now that I'm out of retail and you can make somebody else feel good for a change.

I find that, even though I was relatively nice to them before, I'm especially nice to people behind counters nowadays. I ALWAYS have my wallet out and ready to pay, as well as any club-card required to make my purchase cheaper. One retail lady even commented today "Man, you're all organized and ready to go." To which I replied "Yes, ma'am, I've got the system all figured out." It's not even a joke, and she got a laugh out of it.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Dog Blogs Man posted:

I found out I am guaranteed at least 1 public holiday shift over the xmas / NY period. ~$50/hr.

What are you going to be doing, heart surgery?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

BeardedFerret posted:

Western Australia?

Got a call today from a recruitment lady at the company that owns my shop. She's seen my resume on a jobhunting website and wanted to know if I'd prefer to work at the Mac-focused shop in town instead of the lovely place I work at now that's a while out of my way. Said yes, ball is now rolling and I'm interviewing for it on Monday. :toot:

:):hf::toot:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Ugh. I just kicked my surge protector after typing up a long, 6 paragraph story, so:

Suffice it to say that:

I messed up a couple's order on the day before Thanksgiving. They are out of towners and wanted to head back to their lovely state today (black friday).

They came back today. My manager on duty handled their claim and she hosed UP. She messed up more money than I did.

So, what I thought I was going to blamed for, she upped the ante in terms of failure. They came back, AGAIN. So I'm off the hook, and the stores's manager never need know.

It's a Thanksgiving miracle! Hurray for Black Friday!

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

cobalt impurity posted:

I, um... My store was a ghost town on Black Friday. :unsmith:

So I got sent home after two hours because they couldn't afford to pay me :smith:

Do you work in a Halloween costume store, or something?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

TheBandOffice posted:

:unsmith: okay....the manager I liked just called me and said he doesn't want me gone and will work around any schedule I want. He's on the same level as the manager that termed me. I'm back on for now pending a review by the manager above them. That, if it goes against me, I get to appeal again to the manager above them. And then HR.

Good luck, man, meanwhile, this just in...

If I'm late just 1 minute in December, I'm fired. Incidentally, you should never try a new route to work you're unsure of, especially when you're on the same shift as the manager that hates you. I found this out the hard way, this morning. I ride my bike to work, and I decided to try a different road. Well, that road is 98% uphill, and my bike has no gear shift.

And I really like it there... :smith:

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

An older woman was at the register when I came back from lunch. I was later informed that she had been there for 10 minutes already, going through 2 different crossword puzzle dictionaries. One was $7.98, large and heavy. The other was $3.48, small and light. They already had rung her up for her other purchases, no doubt in an attempt to get he to skedaddle.

:ohdear:: "Which of these do YOU think I should get, young man?"
:cool:: "What are these, for crosswords?"
:shlick:: "Yes! My mother loooooves crosswords."
:cool:: "Hmm. Well, is she very old, does she travel? Maybe the lighter one?"
:ohdear:: "No, she stays at home. Is this one A-Z?" *indicates larger book*
:crossarms:: *opens larger book to first page. Aardvark. opens to last page. Zyxt* "...yes."
:ohdear:: "Are you sure?"
:cool:: "Positive."
:ohdear:: "How can you tell?"
:cool:: "I'm a professional."
:ohdear:: "Oh. Ok. What about this one? This one has sections or something."
:cool:: "That's so you can look something up by subject." *notices line that's been growing for past few minutes*
:ohdear:: "Oh, I don't think she'll need that."
:eng101:: "I beg to differ. She may need to look up famous last names or certain words she may not know the meanings of. Or things from the bible. I think you should go with the smaller, cheaper one."
:ohdear:: "Oh. Well I just don't know." *the line is longer.*
:pseudo: "Ok, well, the copyright date in this one is 2 years older than this one. It's an older edition and I think the newer, smaller one is more comprehensive."
:ohdear:: "Where do you see that?"
:eng99:: "The copyright page at the front."
:ohdear:: "Oh... I still don't know."
:colbert:: "This one is cheaper, lighter, more comprehensive and easier to use. I'm going to go ahead and ring this up..."

I WISH I were exaggerating... She wasn't mean, or anything. I just... I dunno. It's like old people are children that smell just as bad, but can drive.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

elf pr0n posted:

gently caress managers who "waive" being late to some employees but loving threatening to write up others for being 5 minutes late

This. I've been late twice in 3 months (no car, I walk). I know I don't have a rapport with my boss, but goddamn, be consistent. I have the most valid reason for being late.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

caveman thug poo poo posted:

I was thinking this too. Sorry, Dodgeball, unless you have to watch for falling anvils you're pretty much always from A to B with no incident.
Sometimes I ride a bicycle, sometimes I try a different route. Sometimes there's a bunch of dudes digging up what I thought was a nice and completed sidewalk.

It takes me 50 minutes to an hour to walk from my apartment to work. 25-30 if I ride my bike. Doesn't help that the boss looks like if she were to try to get on a bicycle, she would break it. (then eat it)

There's also 5 intersections (2 of which are over a highway) that I HAVE to stop for because I cross 4 lanes of traffic.

Trust me on this one, it's a legitimate excuse to be late once every 2 months, especially in the mornings when it's rush hour and I have to start walking at 6:30.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

caveman thug poo poo posted:

:words:

Look, it's not like I enjoy being late. I'm just sick of being the only person who catches flak for it. Yes, there are many variables that affect my long commute. Most of the time, I do just fine, and every once in a while, I roll a 1.

This discussion started with the notion of hating managers that waive some and punish others. That's my gripe. Yes, I'm 5 minutes late. But don't write me up then turn around and let the guy who didn't call in -- until an hour after his shift started -- pass. I don't even want that guy to get in trouble, I just want the fact that I've never been that late, nor have I ever neglected to call in, counter the notion that I should be harshly reprimanded.

\/\/She holds a lot of clout. I'm the new guy. If this were the 70's and not retail, it'd be a cop movie...

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 9, 2010

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

To be fair, killing a baby is probably a legitimate excuse to be late. And it's hard to find the clinic when you're drunk.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

Story

Your district manager is a ...

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

BeardedFerret posted:

That is completely reprehensible. Please smash him for this, that rear end in a top hat doesn't deserve his job.

What's even funnier is that American Sign Language is more American than English.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Mr. Toad posted:

I saw something similar not too long ago. A boy got his hand lodged in the gap where the hand rail enters the base of the escalator. After an hour or so he was freed by the maintenance crew, with the side wall of the escalator buggered after they'd broken it open. (Top job there guys!) Not ten minutes later I saw the same boy enter a lift on his own, then get lost two floors below.

Thankfully, an escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Mr. Toad posted:

Nobody got the reference when I made it the following day. :(

That's a goddamned shame.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Apocalypse Please posted:

Please tell me someone in Dallas is hiring for something that has somewhat normal hours and pays more than $10/hr to someone with a college degree arrrgh.

Sorry, brah. I'd have snagged it up by now.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

waar posted:

I'm not sure I understand, what do you mean by parking customers?

I believe in a drive-through line, you tell customer A who ordered a lot of food to park (in either an assigned parking spot, or just anywhere, so that you can assist the following customers who have ordered less food while customer A waits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Nothing really bad, yet still slightly embarrassing:

Had a little Freudian slip today at work. It was towards the end of my shift, and I was bushed. It's the last Saturday before X-mas, busy-busy-busy and I'm dead on my feet. Two pretty attractive girls come in and one want to buy a gift card. She wanted one for $20, but you get a $5 coupon for buying a $25. I usually use the phrases "up-sell you to the 25" or "bump you up to 25" to try to get them to spend a little more. We join our scene already in progress...

:blush:: I'd like to buy a gift card.
:): For how much?
:blush:: 20 dollars.
:downs:: If I can knock you up... erm... up-sell you... to the twenty five... you... get a 5 dollar coupon...
:blush:: . . .
:doh:: . . .
:blush:: Ok...

I'm sure she completely missed it, but that one's gonna haunt me for a bit.