Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Dodgeball posted:

We had a guy come in to the bookstore about 2 weeks ago, bitching about how "they were changing Huck Finn" and how he "better get a copy now before it all gets changed." (Note: Only one printing company is changing it. There's still like 9 other sources for that book. It was blown out of the proportion.)

Now, I'm against censorship, but cannot in good faith defend the N-word, at least when it's not being used to establish a racist character (I'm fine with a character using it because it establishes to the audience that the character is racist [unless the character using it is black, of course]). I get that. But in Huck Finn, the narrator uses it as a general adjective; he isn't using it to be hurtful, or establish a character flaw. I understand that's how folks talked back then, but if it's not adding anything to the characters I can understand why folks would want to change it.

Back to the bookstore, this guy goes on and on about how "that's how we used to talk back then and it's history and blah blah blah." We also used to spell words, that today have two consecutive letter S's in it, with an F instead of the first S. I don't see anyone bitching about that. One of my co-workers mentions that we have a copy of Brer Rabbit and the Tar-baby and the guy's eyes light up as they head to the collectibles room. All I could think was "Wow, this guy really loves racist literature. Do we have any signed versions of Mien Kampf?"

I don't want to help derail the thread any more, but I'd argue that Huck's use of the word isn't simply gratuitous or "adding nothing to the character." So much of the book hinges on the battle between Huck's understanding of how society works and his empathy for Jim, and softening the text kind of dulls the intensity of what is probably the most important conflict in the book. His use of the n-word is a way of complicating this conflict, distinctly actualizing his internalized racism and forcing it to butt heads with his gut feeling that Jim's treatment is wrong.

Of course, your customer sounds like he's not thinking about it this way when he gets his confederate-flag boxers all knotted up over the revision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU