Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Supeerme posted:

from the sounds of this thread. this seems to be a mostly American problem. that poo poo won't fly where I work.

(I live in the UK btw.)
Another UK person here. Whenever I worked on a register and the time came to close it, a member of staff would actually join the queue and say to people turning up "Sorry, this till's closing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Kaninrail posted:

I wish capital punishment for stupidity was legal. :commissar:
That won't come close to stopping it. It'll just mean more cleanup for retail workers.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Strawberry posted:

I've never gotten a perfect 5 ("World Class Service", as they call it) when I get secret shopped. Usually 4s, with the occasional 3.

I remember a while back one of our produce guys got a -1. He got into a heated argument with another employee, lots of shouting.
That reminds me of the time I got written up during my stint as a Rides Host at a theme park. My fellow attendant and I were discussing strategies for getting guests into the rollercoaster train as quickly as possible. In a friendly and civil fashion, I may add. Sort of a "yeah, get two in the front of the car, two in the back, if there are three then put one in the front and two in the back" general shoptalk discussion, that sort of thing.

Someone reported us because apparently we were shouting abuse at each other. :confused:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Fury1671 posted:

Oh yea, I was given counterfeit that had the ink smear off on my hands and I had to take it. And soon after we were allowed to deny counterfeit, I had a bill enter my hands that was about 3 inches too small. When I denied the second guy's $1000+ in counterfeit, he just was like oh and walked away. Nice tell that you in fact were trying to pass fake bills. We already busted one counterfeit ring with the feds, and that seems to have slowed it down, or they got better as passing fake 100s.
Wait, you weren't previously allowed to deny counterfeit notes? When I worked as a cashier 8 years ago we had to use a special pen to check every single note that entered our hands.

Oh, and to people who remark "Oh, that's fresh, I printed it earlier today! :haw:" as the cashier checks your money: You aren't funny or original.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Libandano Urfam posted:

Me: You did a good job! :v:
I prefer:

Me: I'm sorry sir, but if you printed this note yourself then I can't accept it! :v:

I only tried that once, and fortunately he saw the funny side.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Kaninrail posted:

I'm sure lots of places would hire you

for retail :(

That's the crux of the problem.. once you're stuck in retail, the only jobs you can run to are jobs that are just as miserable, until you either stick with a miserable place long enough to become an rear end in a top hat manager, or get a degree and move into non-menial fields.
Or you could do what I did, and take a college-level IT course and move into office administration instead. Obviously that's not suitable or affordable for everyone, but it's a possibility.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Joonami posted:

(because working in a mall means being a walking, talking mall directory)
I spent a year working for a fashion shop in a shopping centre, and had so many people come in asking about vacancies. That's fine in itself, but when I said we didn't have any, they'd ask "Do you know if anywhere else in here has vacancies?"

There are 30+ shops in the mall, each with their own management and staff. Why would I know?

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I don't really mind being 'miss'. Ma'am makes me think of old ladies, but I don't mind it either. I, uh, also get 'sir' sometimes, usually by people who are VERY not paying attention or only see me from behind. I don't mind that though.

Anyone who calls me young lady can go right to hell. It just sounds so patronizing.
Having people (especially young kids) call me "sir" always threw me. I always felt like I was too young to warrant it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

I work in a computer shop in the UK. The other day I had a lady come in and ask for a blue Nintendo Wii controller. Since we're a smaller store we only had white and black ones, so I looked up other branches nearby, and found that one branch had 37 blue controllers in stock. I recommended that she visit that branch instead, since it's not too far away.

Then she asked me "What about Sony?

Huh?

"The Sony store across the street from you... will they have the controller?"

Even though I was perfectly calm and polite, she got annoyed when I replied that no, Sony stores do not stock Nintendo products.

What the gently caress.