Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

H13 posted:

Hey!

How much effort is it to convert a combo amp into a stand alone head?

Is it expensive?

Is it worth it?

Cheers!
The answer to all three of these questions is, "It depends."

Quick answer, it's probably close to trivial as long as you don't care about taking the amp circuit out of its combo enclosure. That is where a lot of the "ifs" come in. If the combo already supports external speakers then you're almost there. If it doesn't, well, "It depends."

Could use some more info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

What amp is it? Have you cracked it open?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
got a jigsaw?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

H13 posted:

Hey!

How much effort is it to convert a combo amp into a stand alone head?

Is it expensive?

Is it worth it?

Cheers!

I had this done with a Super Reverb into a Bassman-style head. The part on mojotone.com is $245. Don't remember what I paid for labor. The amp already had speaker jacks on the back.

Was definitely worth it, makes a great all-purpose guitar and bass amp (with a bass cab), doesn't tip over like a Super Reverb does, much easier to cart around.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
The amp I'm considering doing it to is a Marshall Astoria combo. I'm considering turning it into a head.

I don't own the amp (yet), but have put down a deposit :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

H13 posted:

The amp I'm considering doing it to is a Marshall Astoria combo. I'm considering turning it into a head.

It's a neat idea and doable, my only advice apart from to take it slow is make sure you can reverse any changes, I reckon these amps will go up in price over time and you may want rid of it at some point.
Top amp by the way! I'll end with one at some point, I lust after them regularly :D

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

H13 posted:

do you plan on orienting the control panel facing the front or up top like the combo?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Of all the amps to take a saw to. Jesus dude.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

i just assumed he was gonna build a new enclosure and leave the combo shell as is because lol the gently caress is he thinking otherwise

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

"Nothing is true. Everything is permitted"
- A true tone-chaser

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

"Nothing is true. Everything is permitted"
- A true tone-chaser

:black101:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you want to save weight, just take out the speaker Jesus Christ. :magical:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Siivola posted:

If you want to save weight, just take out the speaker Jesus Christ. :magical:

I thought he meant like buy a head carcass and an empty cab, yeah man, don't be cutting it up.

In other news, used the new amp tonight and a dude came up to me after the gig to tell me he'd have paid money just to hear my guitar as it sounded so good, I am really happy about that, what a nice thing to say :)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Haha! I knew some people would hate me to cut one of those combos up.

The thing is that I've got a silent recording rig where I take an Amp DI into my setup. It's a royal pain in the rear end to do that to combos sometimes. I'd splash out for an appropriate Marshally amp shell, but I'm wondering how much hassle it is to do it in the first place.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it's a lot less work just building a new shell than trying to chop up a combo

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Be cheaper to pay an amp builder to make you a clone in a head. The circuit is very simple as you can probably imagine.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Just rip it apart, there is no god, do what you want. Someone local will build you a head shell, find an old local dude that makes kitchen cabinets and im sure he'll knock it out in 3 hours for $150

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Have you guys seen this? It's loving astounding.

I can't describe it as I am too awed after watching it. Basically Dave Friedman apparently knows everything about Jose's modded Marshalls and he has one of Vai's old modded amps, and this guy makes a video that contains so much amazing history I won't bother to try to sell it any harder.

Just watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbRJeFYfwjU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The revelation that he didn’t just add gain stages but parallel gain stages with different voicing was kind of mind-blowing. Such a cool video.

edit: This is also 2 times in as many weeks that Dave Friedman has pleasantly surprised me. I've always hated his amp naming scheme and figured he was probably some chud but two things:

1) the video Faustus posted.
2) Buried somewhere in this snoozefest he takes a jab at Analogman for taking three years to build a King of Tone and then proceeds to allow "Analog" Mike Piera to make a complete clown of himself by admitting he completely mismanages every aspect of his business: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE7DOUaP7Vs

Someone made an edit and posted it to Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/freestompboxes.org/videos/10218709397858702/

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 6, 2020

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

So... I got a reply from an amp builder I emailed in 2008. This guy builds handwired replicas of AC30s with all the classic preamps built in. I totally forgot I got on his list, but now I have a hand built replica of an early 60s JMI Vox. About to plug it in and see what all the fuss is about. Worst case scenario I can flip this with a bit of profit

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Looking at getting an AC15 in another month and it seems pretty amenable to a few upgrades, so AC15 modders, what upgrade made the biggest improvement for you?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ewe2 posted:

Looking at getting an AC15 in another month and it seems pretty amenable to a few upgrades, so AC15 modders, what upgrade made the biggest improvement for you?

Those 120pF bright caps gotta gooooooo.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Iucounu posted:

So... I got a reply from an amp builder I emailed in 2008. This guy builds handwired replicas of AC30s with all the classic preamps built in. I totally forgot I got on his list, but now I have a hand built replica of an early 60s JMI Vox. About to plug it in and see what all the fuss is about. Worst case scenario I can flip this with a bit of profit

Huh, well that sounds like an OK position. I'd love to hear it

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

EF86-based Vox preamps are blistering. Paired with a PAF and a boost it’s face melting stuff.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

Huh, well that sounds like an OK position. I'd love to hear it

This was done with a very cheap Marshall cab so the speakers are not ideal at all, but it gives an okay idea of how it sounds. It's much much better in the room of course. Close miced with an SM57, guitar is an Anderson Cobra S. Raw tracks, no effects or processing. Crappy playing.

https://soundcloud.com/metamusique/sets/jmj-clips

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
That amp sounds fantastic. I especially liked the "cranked" clip but it sounded great in the regular bridge and neck clips, too. Throw it on the pile of amps I want.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Those 120pF bright caps gotta gooooooo.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

EF86-based Vox preamps are blistering. Paired with a PAF and a boost it’s face melting stuff.

Yeah I do hear that people hate the bright caps. It does seem to depend on how you use the gain in the top boost circuit (among other interactions), at a gain beyond noon it doesn't kick in but below that it will which is why with an overdrive it sounds bad to some people. And that stands to reason, you're trying to overdrive an amp outside its intended drive circuitry. I'll have to decide for myself what's more useful since I'm also most likely to run it with attenuation anyway.

Useful discussion here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggi4Nkwmkf4

The EF86 preamp idea sounds interesting!

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 3, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bright caps are always passing high frequencies. By definition they are high frequency bypass caps that bypass the normal treble damping effect of a volume control.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The EF-86 (“brilliant”) is the gainiest and most compressed channel on my amp my a long shot. I think I like the openness of the top boost channel a little more, but the brilliant channel is probably good for leads. I’ve got an empty AC30 cab and some celestion blues on the way and I’ll make some more clips. An A/B/Y switcher would be cool to make it run like a multi channel amp

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Iucounu posted:

This was done with a very cheap Marshall cab so the speakers are not ideal at all, but it gives an okay idea of how it sounds. It's much much better in the room of course. Close miced with an SM57, guitar is an Anderson Cobra S. Raw tracks, no effects or processing. Crappy playing.

https://soundcloud.com/metamusique/sets/jmj-clips

Yeah, that sounds absolutely fantastic. How loud were you playing on those recordings?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

Yeah, that sounds absolutely fantastic. How loud were you playing on those recordings?

Halfway up and then fully cranked. It’s pretty loud but not as loud as I expected. The 4x12 soaked up a lot of volume I think. I’ve got it in a proper Vox cab with celestion blues and it’s louder now, but still not loud enough to hang with my band (we play too loudly, should probably bring it down a few notches). I actually liked the greenbacks better so I’ll probably switch them out sometime soon.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
It cost about $16 to fix my issues with my Fender Greta

Original 4" speaker

Replacement 4" from Amazon that was $8.48 plus shipping & tax

Massive improvement. Tamed the ice-picky treble and nowhere near as farty when pushed harder. It's still a 4" speaker, so there's no avoiding it totally, but it can go quite a bit louder and dirtier than before.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The magnet is like 10 times larger lol. loving awesome, dude!

edit: The Greta I played sounded fantastic with a Fuzzrite pedal.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

e: wrong thread

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Use your fancy modded amps for something worthwhile.

WORTHY MUSICAL GOON PROJECT HO:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933824&perpage=40

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The magnet is like 10 times larger lol. loving awesome, dude!

edit: The Greta I played sounded fantastic with a Fuzzrite pedal.

They probably saved $1 per amp going with that little one.

And in other oddball amps...

I can now say I own a Moog. Obviously made for their Theremins, but also a super clean guitar amp which takes pedals extremely well.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

NTD

Lee Jackson said KT88s wouldn’t fit in this amp. Well these did and they sound big. Yaaay.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My Dad is still not done building Fender amp circuits from the late 50's. He's built two old Twins and a Deluxe (the Niel Young version of the amp) and he's built some custom designed cabinets with baffles.

He just told me last weekend that he is now building a late 50's Bassman. He's already completed the head unit cabinetry and a ported 4x10" (or if it's 4x12", I forget) with a center port.

He's amazing. His work is amazing and made to tolerances no manufacturer would bother with. More to come!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

My Dad is still not done building Fender amp circuits from the late 50's. He's built two old Twins and a Deluxe (the Niel Young version of the amp) and he's built some custom designed cabinets with baffles.

He just told me last weekend that he is now building a late 50's Bassman. He's already completed the head unit cabinetry and a ported 4x10" (or if it's 4x12", I forget) with a center port.

He's amazing. His work is amazing and made to tolerances no manufacturer would bother with. More to come!

This is awesome. I've been pouring over that era of schematics and obsessing over the details and why they did things. It's such a great learning experience. Also, I know it's Bonamassa af, but within a year I'm going to finish building a High Power Tweed Twin with a friend who is making the cabinet for me. He's kind of right: they are the coolest-sounding Fendery Fenders that ever Fendered.

I've been having fun modding my Ampeg and learning a lot. List of recent changes:

-Modified the bias circuit to accept KT88s.

-Installed and biased KT88s (replaced old EL34s) and fresh 12AX7s. Runs nearly double the output of the EL34s, which is to say even with a 1x12 cab to test turning it up to the sweet spot was insanely loud.

-Fixed the B+ design. The original design had it passing through preamp board before going to output section.. huh? Caused connectors to fry. B+ now goes straight to output plates.

-Added 100pf cap across PI plates for stability and to reduce fizz.

-Changed cold clipper section to SLO-100/Peavey 5150 blend from JCM 800 spec. 39k (from 10k) cathode resistor for clipper, 1uf bypass cap for the next stage for gain makeup. Voltage divider before cold clipper stage changed from 470k/470k to 230k/330k with a 1nf cap parallel to the 330k resistor shunt to ground (5150 does this, sounds better than the SLO which doesn't imo). Added a grid resistor bypass 680pf cap between clipper and make-up stages for more bark.

The KT88s make it sound massive, as was my intent, and the phase inverter cap is a perfect global mod (most amps already have this) that took the icy edge off. The rest was entirely about changing Channel 2's JCM 800 into a pants-making GBS threads beast and I think I've gotten pretty close. I have two more mods to add:

-Arredondo/Friedman "saturation" mod/switch
-Depth/Resonance control

Once that's done it's time give Channel 1 some love. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This is all re-posted stuff I've shared in this thread before, so skip on ahead if you caught it the first time, or it's just not your bag.

This obsession started with MojoTone's kits, but he decided to literally go over every part in every kit with his multimeter (he's retired af) and if the components don't meet his specs to his satisfaction he sources parts from other companies. For awhile he spurned Orange-drop caps for Illiniois Electronics caps, and his go-to for transformers isn't like Mercury Magnetics or Heyboer (I have Heybours in my modded Blues Jr MKIII), he prefers Hammond transformers. He told me he took a chance on the latest orange drops and they are all dead-on so either something has changed or he's just... you know.

I'm gonna scour my Imgur real quick so you can see some of his builds (I have far fewer pictures than I'd like, sorry) but as you can tell he only builds on epoxy boards and everything is hand-wired point-to-point and the color-coding of the cloth wiring only means something to him. He's got a touch of the OCD, if you hadn't guessed already.

These were his first builds:

1958 Fender 5F8 (he built a combo in a pre-made cab then got nuts building cabs and heads and even one (combo) head unit with a speaker for "portable" use):

Eventually he built a Niel Young amp (whichever one is the Deluxe. The 5E3?) and it's his favorite. I thought I got a few pics of it last year but I can't find them. He's got a Princeton but I cannot say if he bought it or built it (pretty sure he built it).

Now he's doing the Bassman with a custom cab. He's nuts, but he's got the cabinetry skills, tools (including one amazing Biesemeyer table saw) and I think now he's just keeping himself occupied. He's running out of amps to build and hasn't bothered to put tweed or tolex on a single piece he's made.