Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Has anyone properly heard the new Orange Super Crush 100? The idea of a refined CR120 is tasty as gently caress. I was planning on getting a Rockerverb at some point but if the demos are close enough to reality I may never really need one if I get the SC100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Has anyone properly heard the new Orange Super Crush 100? The idea of a refined CR120 is tasty as gently caress. I was planning on getting a Rockerverb at some point but if the demos are close enough to reality I may never really need one if I get the SC100.

Agufish has a pretty decent demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5U7f1-7rSc

Also, CAT!!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I might be able to snag an Invective 20/5/1 watt amp from my friend. However what about speaker cabs? There's some used stuff around, and my friends roommate has a Peavey 4x12 he might let go cheap. Is a 4x12 a problem for normal house playing on one of the lower watt settings or do I need to go down to a 2x12 or less?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

anybody gently caress around with the v4b reissue, specifically for guitar? i was thinking about grabbing one and modding it to take out the pad input

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I might be able to snag an Invective 20/5/1 watt amp from my friend. However what about speaker cabs? There's some used stuff around, and my friends roommate has a Peavey 4x12 he might let go cheap. Is a 4x12 a problem for normal house playing on one of the lower watt settings or do I need to go down to a 2x12 or less?

I use a 4x12 and have no issues with it in the house. I do use an attenuator in the effects loop of the amp to control volume since I like the sound of everything turned to 10 on my amp. Really good tube breakup on the clean channel when everything is maxed out. I take the attenuator out when I can find my ear plugs and want to annoy the neighbors.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I'm pretty sure I'm finally going to sell my Electric Amp head. I swore I would drag this thing with me to the grave but I genuinely need the money now.

You want to sound like the Sleep - Dopesmoker album? This thing has your back.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
How much you asking for?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Pokey Araya posted:

How much you asking for?

I have no idea on specifics since this is just an idea that hasn't solidified into an actual ad yet. It'll likely go up for ~$2,000.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Catastrophe posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm finally going to sell my Electric Amp head. I swore I would drag this thing with me to the grave but I genuinely need the money now.

You want to sound like the Sleep - Dopesmoker album? This thing has your back.

This thing is awesome af, i wish I could afford it. What's the fuzz knob do? Is it a built in transistor fuzz circuit or an extra tube gain stage or a clipping circuit or some combo?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

This thing is awesome af, i wish I could afford it. What's the fuzz knob do? Is it a built in transistor fuzz circuit or an extra tube gain stage or a clipping circuit or some combo?

"Fuzz" on this amp is simply the gain knob. They just put a cheeky label on it.

e: I know the sound of these things is 100% definitely not for everyone but, if you want that sound of a 60s amp pushed to its knees way beyond its limits, it's tough to find out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeoj8HGatYk

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 5, 2021

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I have a lot going on with the amp front right now. Found a Peavey XXX 125 watt or however big those are for 450 dollars, which from what I can tell is a decent enough deal. Also a guy on FB wants to trade me his Triple Rectifier for my Solar, which I almost ignored at first because it's almost too good to be true, but he seems legit. He is willing to bring it and let me test it out before making the trade. He's an old guy that just uses Axe Fx and stuff like that these days, and he really wants a Solar pretty bad, which I wouldn't be surprised if I have the only one within 100 miles. Either way, I'm buying the Peavey because I'm not going to hold my breath on the Mesa thing working out, but it'll be real sweet if it does. He's sent plenty of photos of it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I got the xxxx

I thought that front plate was diamond plating but it's apparently the naked woman silhouette truck driver chuds like on their mudflaps, so that thing is going in the back of my basement.

Also the guy with the Mesa amp seems really cool, deal should be legit assuming he's satisfied with my youtube guitar

e: Also what's a good attenuator for these big boy amps that isn't super expensive?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 20, 2021

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I got the xxxx

I thought that front plate was diamond plating but it's apparently the naked woman silhouette truck driver chuds like on their mudflaps, so that thing is going in the back of my basement.

Also the guy with the Mesa amp seems really cool, deal should be legit assuming he's satisfied with my youtube guitar

e: Also what's a good attenuator for these big boy amps that isn't super expensive?

Sick.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
PSA: If you own an Orange Dark Terror, and have ever considered tube rolling your Orange Dark Terror (or similar 2x12AX7 lunchbox), you should do that.

I've been messing with different combinations of the facatory JJ ECC83S, A 12DW7, and a 5751 in both V1 and V2, and it's really interesting how versatile this little amp can be with a little less gain and a tiny bit more headroom.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can someone help me with this layout for an amp I'm working on? Specifically my question is what is the difference between the dotted wires and the solid wires?

Are the solid wires wiring I'm supposed to do, and the dotted wires PCB traces?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Dotted should just be wires run on the backside of the board, no?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

widefault posted:

Dotted should just be wires run on the backside of the board, no?

I'm learning so I didn't know that. Thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I have an Orange Rockerverb MkIII i treated myself to some new tubes. I was going to retube and bias it and discovered apparently Orange put some sort of auto-bias system in their amps around 2011? This was purchased new from Orange around 2016.

I've never heard of it before or seen anything referencing it on the amp. Should I just bias it like normal?

The Orange forums are painfully unhelpful. You can't talk about any sort of amp maintenance without Orange saying "take it to a pro" and banning you.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

I have an Orange Rockerverb MkIII i treated myself to some new tubes. I was going to retube and bias it and discovered apparently Orange put some sort of auto-bias system in their amps around 2011? This was purchased new from Orange around 2016.

I've never heard of it before or seen anything referencing it on the amp. Should I just bias it like normal?

The Orange forums are painfully unhelpful. You can't talk about any sort of amp maintenance without Orange saying "take it to a pro" and banning you.

Do some more digging. "auto bias" usually means cathode bias, which USUALLY means you dont need to rebias when you swap tubes, but I'm not 100 on how orange power sections work these days. I will say this - Amps over 30 watts are rarely cathode biased. Rockerverbs were still fixed bias as of the last one I messed with in 2014 or so.

The do make an auto biasing device called DIVO that they did build into some amps for awhile, but it was a big selling feature so if your Amp had that you'd know cause they're pretty in your face about that feature. See here :https://orangeamps.com/products/guitar-amp-heads/rockerverb/rockerverb-100-mkii-head-divo/

Gramps fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 14, 2021

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Someone who understands it better should also talk about what it is like trying to get your Blackstar touched by an amp tech. I gave up when I was satisfied I could just put the goddamned tube in and put it back together. I have a terrific little HT-5H and I love it. But if it ever needs anything I can't say I'll pursue it too hard, but I did switch to a modeling system anyway.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

Someone who understands it better should also talk about what it is like trying to get your Blackstar touched by an amp tech. I gave up when I was satisfied I could just put the goddamned tube in and put it back together. I have a terrific little HT-5H and I love it. But if it ever needs anything I can't say I'll pursue it too hard, but I did switch to a modeling system anyway.

Those are a weird corner case that use a dual triode tube (typically used as preamp tubes) in push/pull as a power tube. Those almost never need biasing but I always check documentation or schematics just to be double sure.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I've noticed that Vox Ac30 heads are super cheap. As in less than 500 Australian Dollarydoos used.

I have no idea if I'm a Vox guy, but...why wouldn't I want The Beatles\Queen amp for the price of an expensive pedal?

Is there a reason why they're so cheap? What am I missing here? Do they sound like rear end? Are they prone to spontaneous combustion?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Fuck yeah cinema is finally dead

H13 posted:

So I've noticed that Vox Ac30 heads are super cheap. As in less than 500 Australian Dollarydoos used.

I have no idea if I'm a Vox guy, but...why wouldn't I want The Beatles\Queen amp for the price of an expensive pedal?

Is there a reason why they're so cheap? What am I missing here? Do they sound like rear end? Are they prone to spontaneous combustion?
I picked up a brand new ac15 head for less than half the rrp ($500kiwi worthless dollars)and it sounds glorious.

The dealer said they're super hard to sell because they retail for about the price of a combo and everyone associates vox with combos anyway.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Associations like that are funny. I remember practically begging people in my old ship to consider maybe at least trying 5150/6505 212 combos, but heads would sell in minutes.

Wish I had the space for one of those, with P90s they're a power pop dream. :syoon:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Gramps posted:

Those are a weird corner case that use a dual triode tube (typically used as preamp tubes) in push/pull as a power tube. Those almost never need biasing but I always check documentation or schematics just to be double sure.
This is said like a person who is unfamiliar with the process of finding anyone willing to touch your Blackstar amp. I found it surprising in many aspects.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is said like a person who is unfamiliar with the process of finding anyone willing to touch your Blackstar amp. I found it surprising in many aspects.

Is this a thing for the HT series specifically? I have a Series One and I've never had an issue. I've used the one amp guy for years tho, and he's done anything including radical mods and repairs. He's the only reason my Bassman 100T is not only working but is a regular toob amp with no fancy autobias (that killed tubes all the time).

I guess I got lucky as hell, because I've never had anything said to me.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

syntaxfunction posted:

Is this a thing for the HT series specifically?
My understanding is it is not. Even something as simple as, "yes this circuit is self-biasing, you need not worry about changing your 12BT7" is something anyone could tell you, as you just did here.
But trying to verify this online from an official source at Blackstar? Not when I was looking into it. They had a notorious rep as being very litigious when it came to their circuits and who touches them. I don't know why I would care, I was satisfied it was safe to put the new tube in, and the unit has been great. But it's essentially retired along pretty much all-of-my-gear-that-isn't-the-AxeFX. I'm hanging onto in hopes I'll have space for them some day and won't have to sell them.

So here's the funny thing that is specific to the HT series: For a period of time I believe 2009-2011 they had a lot of amps start failing in truly baffling and mysterious ways. The printed circuit boards they had ordered had some sort of flaw that made them, and this is kinda hilariously scary, electrically conductive. So current would leak right off the traces until it ran across something it could royally gently caress up. My little guy has never given me a moment's trouble, he was cheap, he sounds awesome, and I checked the serial # and he's a 2012 model (yay).

I was eventually able to procure a schematic of the HT-5H but could not figure out if it was really and truly safe to switch tubes without adjusting anything. Local amp techs tell me they would rather not touch the stuff and let the people who opted for the blackstar certification to deal with them. At least that is the impression I was getting. I thought someone would have had an experience like that by now but alas, nevertheless...

E for clarity: I put a new Electroharmonix in there and along with the weird Telefunken 12AX7 it really sounds good.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 6, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

yeah that's SUPER weird that they wouldn't work on it- unless it's because those HTs had that factory flaw and he didn't wanna get blamed when it flamed out through no fault of his, but you'd think they'd tell you something like that

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep
Question for the hive mind: I’ve got a jcm900 that I love. I usually just turn everything to 10 on the clean channel and use the natural overdrive I get. To get some more drive on the clean, i was looking at getting this but don’t know if it works the way I think it does. https://legendarytones.com/hot-mod-v2e-the-ultimate-marshall-2203-2204-high-gain-plug-in-tube-modification-module/#more-1143

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

stoopidmunkey posted:

Question for the hive mind: I’ve got a jcm900 that I love. I usually just turn everything to 10 on the clean channel and use the natural overdrive I get. To get some more drive on the clean, i was looking at getting this but don’t know if it works the way I think it does. https://legendarytones.com/hot-mod-v2e-the-ultimate-marshall-2203-2204-high-gain-plug-in-tube-modification-module/#more-1143

It does indeed add 2 more gain stages, but double check with em that it'll fit cause I think the tubes are closer together in the JCM900 than the JCM800s that it was designed to be used in.

I personally would just slam the front of it with a pedal. Can't go wrong with a tubescreamer, but I always like the Xotic BB preamp or the TC electronic line driver with JCM 900s

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

Gramps posted:

It does indeed add 2 more gain stages, but double check with em that it'll fit cause I think the tubes are closer together in the JCM900 than the JCM800s that it was designed to be used in.

I personally would just slam the front of it with a pedal. Can't go wrong with a tubescreamer, but I always like the Xotic BB preamp or the TC electronic line driver with JCM 900s

Would the ts go direct to the input or in the effects loop? I’ve got one of those volume controls in the loop so I can crank the dials but not go deaf. Just didn’t know if putting a screamer in the loop with the attenuator would work. Not opposed to guitar -> screamer-> amp. Just want it to work. Also now wondering how much trouble I’d be in with the wife and got a jcm800 to put extra gain stages in. Probably a lot and she’d get the amp in the divorce out of spite.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

stoopidmunkey posted:

Would the ts go direct to the input or in the effects loop? I’ve got one of those volume controls in the loop so I can crank the dials but not go deaf. Just didn’t know if putting a screamer in the loop with the attenuator would work. Not opposed to guitar -> screamer-> amp. Just want it to work. Also now wondering how much trouble I’d be in with the wife and got a jcm800 to put extra gain stages in. Probably a lot and she’d get the amp in the divorce out of spite.

Just put er in front and rip it. Crank volume run the gain low on the pedal. This will almost certainly scratch the itch.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.
Also check out a rat. I usually use that with my JCM800 more than my tube screamer.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Along those lines iirc DS-1 into JCM is the canonical Death tone but I can't remember if its a 800 or 900 (or clean or dirty)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The Grapist posted:

Also check out a rat. I usually use that with my JCM800 more than my tube screamer.

While you're checking out a rat try 2 rats.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I use a Digitech Bad Monkey as my TS mainly because it has the tunable low and highs, but that's just taste. Gain down, volume max, EQ to taste. I run it in front of so many of my amps, from the JCM2000 to a Jet City 50 and Blackstar S1.

I don't play super tight metals, but a TS in front of a 900 or anything similarly high gain should deliver the gains in spades. It's such a magic combination.

It will work for any type of gain pedal but the important thing is how much the TS cuts lows. Clean up the lows and you can basically push more signal in very basic layman terms. If you use a more full frequency pedal or one that emphasises lows you'll get a lot of flub and it won't be super defined. Tubers, RATs, DS-1s, whatever the gently caress you want, just cut those lows, boost the signal going in and have fun.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

stoopidmunkey posted:

get an old Jekyll and Hyde before they made em look like poo poo

polar
Nov 3, 2003
I was wondering if others of you have had an attenuator and then sold it, did it help your playing?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

polar posted:

I was wondering if others of you have had an attenuator and then sold it, did it help your playing?

They make having a tube Amp more fun to have cause you can actually use em which will make you want to play more which will make you better so uhhh yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I bought a Torpedo Captor years ago when noise was getting to be a problem where I was. Best decision of my music life. After that I got another (for playing with my friend) and eventually scored a mint used Torpedo Live.

My main purpose was to use headphones (and the Live doesn't need a computer so it goes amp to Live to headphones that's it) but attenuation is also extremely good.

You'll hear a lot of people talk about it ruining the vibe and the sweet spot etc etc but the reality is it helps makes playing at reasonable volumes much more possible.

Amp to loadbox/cabsim to FRFR speakers is where I live now and I don't want to go back. Physical cabs are cool, but I don't have the space nor volume allowance for them.

Get a loadbox and/or attenuator. It will be massively improved.