Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Switched agencies... and no surprise they completely messed up my pay and leave balance. Got charged a bunch of LWOP because I took leave during the transition. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

SgtScruffy posted:

Here's something I have no idea to approach:
https://www.energy.gov/articles/doe-kicks-recruitment-support-implementation-bipartisan-infrastructure-law

DOE is hiring for their Clean Energy Corps, and they are doing what seems like "you don't have to use USAJobs! Just send your resume and check a few boxes of topics and job types you're interested in and as we figure out what positions we need, we'll consider you!".

As someone in the private sector, I'm very interested (8 years Project Management experience, PMP, interested in doing program evaluation or project management), but does anyone have any experience with how to handle this sort of cattle call to maximize my chances?

Like, just submit a regular non-Federal resume, say that I'm interested in everything, and hope for the best? Assume that all 1,000 positions are already filled by people who are connected?

Super confusing what's going on with this. They must all be term positions if i had to guess, but there's so much info missing from the positions that i can only assume it's a bait and switch of some sort and they're mostly amassing a pool of candidates of interest that they can email directly later on when there's a real posting with a real description and everyone will have to reapply from scratch to an actual posting later.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

El Mero Mero posted:

Super confusing what's going on with this. They must all be term positions if i had to guess, but there's so much info missing from the positions that i can only assume it's a bait and switch of some sort and they're mostly amassing a pool of candidates of interest that they can email directly later on when there's a real posting with a real description and everyone will have to reapply from scratch to an actual posting later.

Right, I figured theres some sort of "gently caress, we didn't have time to write out the job positions or actually have a plan for this, but we want to announce 1,000 jobs are available in clean energy NOW so uhhhhhhhhhhhh go!". Guess I'll put my resume in the pot and hope that an accomplished-but-not-specifically-focused-because-I-don't-know-what-im-applying-for resume at least gets me a call back or an email in like four months

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

my nice direct manager in a team teams call: “I got offered a deployment to Saipan, but I turned it down. It’s too dangerous for a 67 year old guy like me to be on an island.”
someone else: “Yeah, you could retire on the beach!”
I laugh, but my mic is muted..,
manager: “The last time I was on an island for a time I got skin cancer on my forehead and had to have surgery.”

:eyepop:
oh well
personally i’d happily go to Saipan to take photos of washed out roads and tell people to not dig up wetlands or remove trees without a permit

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

wolfs posted:

my nice direct manager in a team teams call: “I got offered a deployment to Saipan, but I turned it down. It’s too dangerous for a 67 year old guy like me to be on an island.”
manager: “The last time I was on an island for a time I got skin cancer on my forehead and had to have surgery.”

oh well
personally i’d happily go to Saipan to take photos of washed out roads and tell people to not dig up wetlands or remove trees without a permit

Ah Saipan, the poor man’s Guam. (Guam is the poor man’s Hawaii.)

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
Those Clean Energy Corps jobs are starting to hit USAJOBS, which at least makes it a little more clear that it's pure cattle call. Here's the 0510 accountant posting as an example: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/631234200

Posting is open for a year, could be term or permanent, could be anywhere, could be supervisory or not, and my favorite part:

... still probably going to apply :negative:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wow, I can't believe Qanon has infiltrated the deep state so far they have their own clearance!

menpoop
Jul 29, 2004

Girls aren't the only ones who take dumps, you know...
It's just asking what level of clearance you would be willing to maintain. The typical advice to mark E and not think about it is especially relevant here.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Holding higher level clearances is kind of a hassle. Sometimes you also have to pee in a cup, which is gross and degrading. Genuinely curious about the CEC and those positions though. It looks like greenwashing nonsense, but it could be interesting greenwashing nonsense.

In good news my agency has announced that anyone who can perform their duties remotely may not come into the office and must telework. For all my complaints itt at least some leadership is taking things seriously. I appreciate that on multiple levels, but most immediately bc I really don't want to deal with picking up extra work when my team members who aren't taking omicron seriously at all inevitably end up infected.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Loucks posted:

Holding higher level clearances is kind of a hassle. Sometimes you also have to pee in a cup, which is gross and degrading. Genuinely curious about the CEC and those positions though. It looks like greenwashing nonsense, but it could be interesting greenwashing nonsense.

In good news my agency has announced that anyone who can perform their duties remotely may not come into the office and must telework. For all my complaints itt at least some leadership is taking things seriously. I appreciate that on multiple levels, but most immediately bc I really don't want to deal with picking up extra work when my team members who aren't taking omicron seriously at all inevitably end up infected.

I haven't experienced that too badly myself so far, but one of my friends works in IT for a university and shares an office with someone else who very obviously doesn't take things seriously. Last week, said co-worker got sick, tested positive for COVID, and naturally came in anyways to "tough it out", and proceded to puke in the trashcan inside their shared office. Fun times.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Loucks posted:

Yeah it honestly is, only had one random UA in the last like 5 years, but having to document all foreign travel, financial stuff etc, just more annoying than anything. It's kind of silly as I only handle maybe a handful of classified docs a year, would rather just have a public trust and give 'em to someone else hah.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Protip they can’t hassle you for traveling abroad if you use your red passport

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
My agency has been sending people to the field in red states since I started and shows no signs of stopping. Looking forward to my own inevitable deployment and couple of weeks spent recovering in a hotel on taxpayer dollars.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Dr. Quarex posted:

My agency has been sending people to the field in red states since I started and shows no signs of stopping. Looking forward to my own inevitable deployment and couple of weeks spent recovering in a hotel on taxpayer dollars.

Oh goodness, are you part of the FEMA family too? If you're DSA cadre, I can (try to) answer any questions you have! I'm actually on a deployment myself right now, and it's kinda phenomenal, not gonna lie.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Woof Blitzer posted:

Protip they can’t hassle you for traveling abroad if you use your red passport

Depending on where you go, any hassle you avoid from the US government may be more than compensated for by grief from the people who run the place you're visiting.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Dammerung posted:

Oh goodness, are you part of the FEMA family too? If you're DSA cadre, I can (try to) answer any questions you have! I'm actually on a deployment myself right now, and it's kinda phenomenal, not gonna lie.
Yes but I am currently discovering that I apparently have to quit my Reservist position since my new agency is not nearly as cool with having multiple jobs at once as FEMA is. Weak. At least I did get to do some good for FEMA first

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

wolfs posted:

oh well

That guy is a chump. I've specifically strategized about fed jobs in Saipan and other territories. It's like the holy grail of living semi abroad in beautiful tropical island settings without the hassle of officially leaving the country. Plus, fed jobs are often the best paid positions in those locales, so you can live large.

Yeah, I recently moved back to the states from Puerto Rico, so I'm still readjusting...

On the topic: fed employees in Puerto Rico are held in way higher esteem than in the states. They're highly sought after jobs and people just assume you're with the FBI or doing something very important and potentially secretive (none of that applies to me). I suspect this is also true in other US colonies.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yes but I am currently discovering that I apparently have to quit my Reservist position since my new agency is not nearly as cool with having multiple jobs at once as FEMA is. Weak. At least I did get to do some good for FEMA first

Ah, drat! That's a bit rough. As long as your new position is a great one.

Thesaurus posted:

On the topic: fed employees in Puerto Rico are held in way higher esteem than in the states. They're highly sought after jobs and people just assume you're with the FBI or doing something very important and potentially secretive (none of that applies to me). I suspect this is also true in other US colonies.

That's something I'd find to be an interesting experience, but I don't think it'd hold up long. I trundle around like a confused animal and look like a sack of despairing marshmallows. But darn it, I persevere, and my supervisors have been okay with it so far!

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Max Peck posted:

Those Clean Energy Corps jobs are starting to hit USAJOBS, which at least makes it a little more clear that it's pure cattle call. Here's the 0510 accountant posting as an example: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/631234200

Posting is open for a year, could be term or permanent, could be anywhere, could be supervisory or not, and my favorite part:

... still probably going to apply :negative:

I'm guessing the smart thing be to apply to both - throw my resume in on the cattle call, and if there's a specific job posting (as broad as it is) on USAJobs, apply via the "formal" way, too? There's a few that fits my fancy so looks like it's time to make a few Federal Resumes :woop:

Speaking of which, I didn't see it in the OP: Is there a "best" resource for guidelines for writing a Federal Resume? Are the USAJobs resources the best, or is there a page that gives you the breakdown of the actual Stuff You Need To Do?

(I've also got my good buddy Ya Boy Toshimo to help me, shout out to you bubba)

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 15, 2022

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Dammerung posted:

Ah, drat! That's a bit rough. As long as your new position is a great one.

That's something I'd find to be an interesting experience, but I don't think it'd hold up long. I trundle around like a confused animal and look like a sack of despairing marshmallows. But darn it, I persevere, and my supervisors have been okay with it so far!

Just stay marsh-mellow, fellow goon, and you’ll be alright. Trundle onwards!

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

SgtScruffy posted:

I'm guessing the smart thing be to apply to both - throw my resume in on the cattle call, and if there's a specific job posting (as broad as it is) on USAJobs, apply via the "formal" way, too? There's a few that fits my fancy so looks like it's time to make a few Federal Resumes :woop:

Speaking of which, I didn't see it in the OP: Is there a "best" resource for guidelines for writing a Federal Resume? Are the USAJobs resources the best, or is there a page that gives you the breakdown of the actual Stuff You Need To Do?

(I've also got my good buddy Ya Boy Toshimo to help me, shout out to you bubba)

FWIW I wasted an hour or two in an HHS "federal resume tips" session from our local HR people and it was mostly obvious stuff like reverse chronological order+violate that to put the most relevant stuff at the top and include numbers, but they also spent some time on "use the USAJobs stuff".

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Just a reminder that the Fed has our own jobs site, and the pay+benefits are pretty decent

https://www.federalreserve.gov/careers.htm

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Irony.or.Death posted:

FWIW I wasted an hour or two in an HHS "federal resume tips" session from our local HR people and it was mostly obvious stuff like reverse chronological order+violate that to put the most relevant stuff at the top and include numbers, but they also spent some time on "use the USAJobs stuff".

Thanks - apparently my wife's grad school (GW)'s career office has a "here's everything you need to know" document. I figure that if their job is to get qualified people to navigate the hell of Federal Resumes, that may help out quite well!

Vorkosigan posted:

Just a reminder that the Fed has our own jobs site, and the pay+benefits are pretty decent

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/117d9e67-276f-4e79-8906-536d74d24733

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vorkosigan posted:

Time for me to move from SEC?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Time for me to move from SEC?

Is the Federal Reserve actually part of the government?

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Howard Phillips posted:

Is the Federal Reserve actually part of the government?

Self-funded executive agency, so we aren't on GSA or OPM but do tend to give them deference.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Thesaurus posted:

That guy is a chump. I've specifically strategized about fed jobs in Saipan and other territories. It's like the holy grail of living semi abroad in beautiful tropical island settings without the hassle of officially leaving the country. Plus, fed jobs are often the best paid positions in those locales, so you can live large.

Yeah, I recently moved back to the states from Puerto Rico, so I'm still readjusting...

I was REAL close to taking a job in Guam about 5 years ago. If I hadn’t had kids I would have jumped right in.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

I was REAL close to taking a job in Guam about 5 years ago. If I hadn’t had kids I would have jumped right in.

Great strip clubs in Guam.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I made it two-thirds of the way to work today before I had to turn around and go home. All of the full-time clerks at my post office are off today, and the only PSE with a key to the building can't even tell where the road is because of the snow. I probably would have made it to work because I don't have to deal with any steep roads and live right next to a major road. I am not killing myself for Bezos's merchandise to get sorted for delivery.

Tuesday's going to fuckin suck. Sunday's and Monday's mail and parcels on top of Tuesday's mail, and none of it was done on Sunday (which is normal procedure for Sundays on three-day weekends at my office). My postmaster and the rest of management are probably going to lose it tomorrow. gently caress em.

Nutella
Jun 27, 2005

"And the meek shall inherit the earth"
The only thing worse than working for USPS is working for SSA. I'm hitting 33 years next month and I think the next early out will be the end.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Nutella posted:

The only thing worse than working for USPS is working for SSA. I'm hitting 33 years next month and I think the next early out will be the end.

TSA doesn’t top the list? Got any war stories to share from SSA?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Well, now I'm starting to freak out because I decided not to work today.

My supervisor made it in to work, and he's been hammering my phone all day to get me to work. I gave him a vague, "We'll see," instead of just saying no like I should have. The roads are clear, but the other two clerks ended up going in after all. So I'm going to eat poo poo.

I had a vacation request for a weekend in February, but that's going to get denied now. What I'm really worried about is this canvas for a part-time flexible position is going to get blocked and it will prevent me from converting to a career-tract job. My postmaster is a spiteful mother fucker and is a raging sexist and he hates clerks.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Nutella posted:

33 years... Goongrats. SSA that whole time?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Howard Phillips posted:

TSA doesn’t top the list? Got any war stories to share from SSA?

I do not believe there is a worse place to work in the federal government than TSA, and that’s all I’m willing to say about it.

Just Dont Look
Nov 6, 2007

Perhaps thou shalt dain to sup on the meaty sustenance of my loins.

Howard Phillips posted:

Great strip clubs in Guam.

I was TDY once there and one of the guys standing outside of the strip club said they had titties, tacos, and guns. Unfortunately, I did not go inside.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
SSA sucks on the customer service side, but I’d have never jumped 5 to 11 in six years anywhere else.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I know one potentially can do the 5-11 (or even 12) climb in six or less in Treasury or DoD because I've seen it done, but it requires landing a developmental position to speed at least the middle grades. A fresh degree helps a lot.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
USCIS' progressions are so frequently 5-12 in five years that some teachers tell you to expect that at the training academy. Which, say it with me, makes it all the more infuriating if you instead start at 9 and are still at 9 after five years. Nearly everyone I started with was a 12 when I left, though to be fair my whole class started at 9. I actually knew someone who started at 5 and was a 13 after six years!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I very carefully meant it when pointing out that I’d have never pulled it off somewhere else. Not saying someone else couldn’t.

In SSA laughs, our WSU (Workload Support Unit), the group of people who (badly) handle internet claims (eventually), apparently glitched out the major workload software and several thousand claims of people with last names starting with two different letters never got loaded or worked. My god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

So what are the secrets to helping my dad get SSA disability?