Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Omits-Bagels posted:

On my 2009 taxes I didn't report about $900 worth of stuff I sold online to the IRS but I am wanting to apply for a job with them. I only made about $7000 last year so my dad said it wasn't worth reporting because I made so little to begin with.

Am I pretty much automatically disqualified?

If cheating on your taxes disqualified you from a job with the IRS they wouldn't have any employees.

Also yours was completely harmless because there's no difference in taxes for an income of $7000 and an income of $7900, it's $0 in both cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Tyro posted:

Apply for a Fulbright? (just closed for this year but that means you have a while to prepare)

I'm a current Fulbright Fellow.

Everyone should apply for a Fulbright.

(unless you have a good job already or something)

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Skandiaavity posted:

can you elaborate a little more on the process, any advice? Might be useful for the thread.

I'll make a separate A/T thread on it soon. The due date for the 2011-12 grant period just passed, so there's not really any rush for anyone who might be interested in 2012-13.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Skandiaavity posted:

You will have to ask them (H.R.) directly about the day-to-day since I believe even talking about the job (stating that you work for them), even to family members, is grounds for termination.

I heard you were basically allowed to tell your spouse if you have one, and no one else.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

It's not like the organization is a secret. You can go on their website and read about it and submit a job application. The actual hiring process would probably make a really boring movie though.

"9 months later..."

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Gumog posted:

Does anyone know anything about the Pathways Programs that are getting started? I need a job after graduation this fall, and if the foreign service doesn't work out - I need to start looking for something else while I prepare for the next crack at the exam and gain some experience.

I was interested in the Department of State, Commerce, Justice, Executive Office of President, and Foreign Trade Representative. I'm basically looking for anything with some type of international dimension to it - even if that is not necessarily where I start.

I'm a liberal arts major in International Relations - so I don't have that many technical skills. What should I be looking for?

Or it's grad school.

Foreign Service almost certainly won't work out, especially if you're straight out of undergrad. Nothing against your qualifications, but State is hiring very few FSOs right now and it is incredibly difficult to even get to the oral exam, let alone off the register.

You might want to bone up on your quantitative skills and foreign language. Without either of those two, you're not going to stand out amongst the billions of other IR BAs looking for a pretty limited number of jobs. The other recommendation is network, network, network. Attend every information session you'd be even tangentially interested in.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Federal government will sometimes offer internships without even an interview, so that's a really good sign. You're probably correct in that it's going to be 'tell me a little about yourself' to make sure you're a human being, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Probably easier to get into that specific line of work with contractors. SAIC is one that does simulation development.