Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
What do I do when a position says "In addition to meeting experience requirements applicants must show evidence (by self-certification) of typing skill of at least 40 words per minute. "?

How do I "self-certify"?

I just got an instant reject from a loving clerk position and I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what I did wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sirotan posted:

Are you a veteran or current/former federal employee? If you are, you can get a max score of 110 on the assessments, otherwise you can only get a max score of 100. So, it's entirely possible you did nothing wrong at all.

Well I got the "you do not meet minimum requirements" message, which is pretty ridiculous given the fairly easy requirements:

quote:

Applicant must possess one (1) year of SE equivalent to the GS-06 grade level.
SE is having:

conducted searches of internal/external databases;

ensured that security of classified materials are managed/controlled in accordance with established procedures;

created, maintained and disposed of records in accordance with applicable policy;

transcribed/deciphered audio/video information;

This position requires a qualified typist. To qualify, you must be able to type 40 words a minute. Please include in your resume your typing proficiency.

I'm a veteran officer (GS-10 equivalent), and I've done all these things. I'm trying to figure out what I didn't phrase right in my resume.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Thanks. I recently got "Highly qualified, referred to selecting official" (followed by "sorry, but...") for a similar GS-9 position. I guess I missed the magic words for this one.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Delorence Fickle posted:

Okay, I have an issue here, On USAJOBS it asks me to put in my current grade/step, but since I'm on the TSA's pay scale which utilizes a letter system pay band, the resume builder won't accept my grade/step which goes along the lines of SV-F/G/H, etc.

There isn't an equivalency chart like with the DoD?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mons Hubris posted:

One other general question for federal jobs:

If there's a posting for multiple pay grades, say GS-5, GS-7, and GS-9, and you're qualified for all 3 and check all the boxes, will they only evaluate you for the top grade or will they let you compete with the people who only applied for the lower grades? I applied for a Patent Examiner position and I have a JD, which would start me at a higher grade, but I'd be willing to take a lower one if it means my odds of getting selected are better.

I don't know, but I just went in for an interview for a job where I unequivocally qualified under the terms of the highest grade but they said they were only hiring for the lowest one.

They also asked if I could cancel my Reserve duty in order to work Saturdays (salaried position, listed as 40 hours/week). So gently caress these guys.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JohnnyHildo posted:

Are you a veteran? Many entry-level jobs go to qualified veterans because they have veteran's preference and are entitled to extra points in the scoring process.

Do your sister and aunt work in federal HR offices? If not, you can pretty much ignore their input. A 10 page resume would be instantly tossed in the private sector, but it can be almost mandatory in the federal hiring process.

From what I understand, the veteran's points are only applied at the very last stage.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Quantum Jazz posted:

Sadly, I don't really have much advice to offer here but I figured I could chime in with some numbers from my recent USAJobs experience.
Number of positions applied for: 36
Number of positions referred to selecting official: 8
Number of interviews (both phone): 2
Number of offers: 1

Background info: Disabled military veteran with a BS in mathematics.
Hopefully this will help someone in some way.

I'm a 5 point vet, MS Geology, and my numbers are pretty similar, though one interview was in person.
Also, I rejected the offer because they didn't offer me the paygrade I qualified for, but the lowest one. And said I'd be working unpaid overtime and weekends a lot. gently caress them.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I just got notified of my testing time and location for that ATF position from a while back.

And between then and now, I also got notification of temporary mobilization to active duty starting two weeks after the ATF testing.

gently caress.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Rynala posted:

I may be accepting an offer for a state job soon but also be moving 2.5 hours away to a neighboring state this fall. Should I anticipate any problems with working for one state's government and living in another? The position is public health environmentalist, basically a health inspector.

You definitely should check residency requirements.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

I've applied for a lot of things on USAjobs to no avail. For one thing which I was definitely qualified I was told I'm not, but that's the only feedback I've ever gotten. What's the deal with this process?

If you don't have certain keywords from the job posting in your resume, it will kick you out as unqualified. I've gotten all the way to the interview for one position and then immediately rejected for a similar but lower position because I didn't change my resume enough.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I've seen a couple jobs that have two postings, a regular one and a status/VEOA one. I am VEOA eligible, does it matter which one I apply to?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Well I guess this explains why I haven't seen any NGA postings for a while.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
So I just dropped in on the "Intelligence Community Virtual Career Fair" and it seems dumb as hell. Dozens of "recruiters" whose entire functions seems to be to answer questions with "check the job listings!"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Shakadi posted:

I'm going to graduate school right now to get my masters degree in economics. There is an economist position on USAJobs that calls for one year of graduate school as a requirement; do they measure that one year as a number of credit hours, or calendar time?

I have 15 of the 30 credit hours my program requires me to graduate, but I started school in January of this year. Would it be worth my time to apply, or should I wait until January to apply? For reference, I plan to be finished with my degree next semester, which ends in May.

By the time they get to your application it will be January at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cardboard Fox posted:

I have a quick question about applications on USAJOBS. Last week I applied for an IT position with the Army Installation Management Command. This morning I got an email saying:

What's my next move here? Do I just wait for a phone call, or can I contact the person on my contact form about an interview? Usually with HR departments, you don't call to ask for a status to an application, but I don't know the procedure when dealing with the government.

What that means is that the automated resume screener didn't reject your application and an actual human will look at it. Calling is not useful at this stage.