Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

For anyone interested the IRS just posted jobs nationwide for revenue agents starting in June.

red19fire posted:

Question for IRS Goons:

I recently went to a career fair, and i was pretty impressed by the IRS CI positions. But they said they're not hiring yet because they're waiting for their budget to be approved. How will I know when the hiring starts?

I've been looking at USAJOBS every 2-3 days, but all the Revenue Officer (1169) jobs appear to be hire-from-within-jobs.

I'm a veteran with a BS in Sport Management and a minor in economics. How good are my chances, and how long can I expect this hiring process to take?

My cousin put in a package for the FBI, and by the time they called him 2 years later to offer him a position, he was a hedge fund manager making 6 figures.

I hope I didn't miss an answer on one of the previous pages.

They take external hires for entry level revenue officer positions. You're probably finding promotion announcements which have the same name/job series but higher pay.

I think all Government jobs give some preference to veterans. If you want to get in CI and they are not hiring, try to get any job you can within the IRS. That should give you some preference when they do hire and allow you to network with CI folk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

There is almost zero chance Federal employees would get back paid like they did in the 90's. Congress already wants to freeze pay for an additional 3 years, stop promotions/step increses, add 10 furlough days and mess with retirement. If anything a day or two of Government shutdown would mean only 8 furlough days instead of 10 if that bill passes.

No idea how that works for contractors though

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Avocadoes posted:

Pipe dream, but for a college student at 18 fresh off-the-press with no job experience whatsoever, would there be any jobs for me in general that are Federal Government Jobs? Pretty much my entire family, as well as extended family has done governement jobs their entire lives, so naturally they collaborate about the benefits of having one.

I would like one too, but with no experience and only being able to do part-time, is this even an option? The first thing that came to mind was the post office...

Try looking at http://www.usajobs.gov/studentjobs/ and apply for an internship in the agency you want to work in if possible.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Carlton Banks posted:

I wonder if I should start expecting this for the revenue agent position I applied for. A few weeks ago I noticed an email in my spam folder dated March 3 saying that the IRS would begin scheduling assessments in the next week, but that is the last I have heard from them (and I've been watching my spam folder like a hawk).

I should probably just take the approach others have mentioned and assume that nothing will happen until I get a pleasant surprise a year from now.

If anyone has received one recently, do assessment notices come from HCO.SBSEexternal@irs.gov like the previous email? I added a filter to send it to my inbox instead of the spam filter, but that won't help if the assessment notice comes from somewhere else :allears:
Most likely the hiring was either canceled or frozen due to the Government running on a continuing resolution still. The same thing happened in 2009. The good news is, last time the CR was passed, agencies only had half of the year to spend all their hiring money so they ended up hiring a ton of people quickly. Make sure you start checking USAJobs as soon as a budget is passed for this year in case they do a new hire instead of emailing old applicants. Also, the proposed budget for next year has been increased substantially and it's mostly for hiring.

blar posted:

I should hopefully be starting my GS-7 job soon. How does the internal recruitment system work after your one year probationary period ends? Am I allowed to apply to GS-11 positions outside of competitive service or am I only able to apply to GS-9 as an internal candidate? I have a degree which allows substitution for experience in many of the GS-11 so I'd like to move up quickly through internal vacancies if possible.

For internal hire you have to have a year at GS7 to apply for a GS9, and then another year as a GS9 to apply for a GS11. You can still apply externally for any GS11 positions while you're a GS7.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

De Nomolos posted:

My question is this: has anyone heard of instances where people have been able to request transfers to similar available positions in other locations due to family reasons? One of the big reasons why we're moving is to be closer to aging family members. I'd really like to stay in the government, but just going through the normal application process for a new job looks like it's going to be pretty useless.

You should be able to do a hardship transfer since you wife is moving to another state for a job (and to take care of a family member). The problem is, there still has to be an opening for you to be able to transfer to a new job/location. It basically puts you at the top of the list for a position.

Right now there aren't a lot of job openings so it will still be hard for you to transfer. My co-worker recently quit after her and her boyfriend spent the last 2 years trying to transfer to each others state (they met in training).

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Has anyone ever applied for a roster position before? Recently I applied for a position which was a 6 month roster and I'm not quite sure how these work. The wording makes it seem like the the best qualified candidates go on a list and when a position is posted they will only interview people selected from the roster.

I'm wondering if the 6 month roster means they plan on hiring for that position within the next 6 months or is it likely the 6 months will go by with no hiring?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Supposedly the IRS is going to post a bunch of auditing positions (GS 5-11) on Monday the 9th.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Does anyone work at the Jackson Federal Building in Seattle? I'm trying to find out how much employee parking is or if it's free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

There is no parking at all period except for bicycles and motorcyclists (both free). Public transportation or pay to use a commercial garage.

The building on 2nd and Madison? I could have sworn there was was parking under the building with an entrance on the north side of the building? I'm thinking of transferring to Seattle and would be in that building.