Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Sweet thread, SWATJester.

I'm on the private side, but I get whoredloaned out to a variety of agencies. Can provide input on working with you guys from the other side...

Also, what's the success rate on straight up applying for USAJobs? I heard on the floor that it's really low, and most of the employment comes from former contractors, people who know people, (i.e. like every private company). Confirm/deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

What are good agencies to look at for research/analyst jobs? I got the obvious ones: State, DoD, DIA, CIA, NSA. So far I haven't gotten any responses so I'm looking for more to try.

The OP focused on D.C. because that's what the majority of jobs are here in DC.

To answer your question - Depends on what kind of research/analysis you want to do.. Finance? Homeland/FBI. Economic? USDA (APHIS for one is), EPA, DOCommerce... IT Malware/Prevention/Intrusion Analysis? Just about everyone is hiring. (comedy option: NGA)

The Intel agencies you noted hire a lot of analysts, but it's a broad term... Linguistic? GIS? Economic? Also of note is that intel agencies are far above & beyond more picky on whom they choose as analysts than other agencies. They expect all reports/deliverables in a certain format and method, but it varies.

DOT/NHSTA is still hiring on research for automotive safety.

For NYC jobs, pulling it out of my hat but I think your biggest opportunities would be Homeland, DEA, Commerce, Transportation, or Justice. Not limited to those, but I think those would have the most opportunities available in the area.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Since I provide my services to House and Senate, I've gotten requests on that before (still do), and that one essentially boils down to whom you know and how much the politician likes them or needs their service. They may have a campaign manager pick their staff, or they may hand-pick their aides personally; it varies.

You can walk in and ask; Some people have gotten internships that way. Otherwise practice the hell out of your 30-second elevator speech or start donating and attending soirees. It's really rare, though, so other than that check your schools Poli sci/history faculty and maybe they'll give you hookups.

If you want IT, Congress (and Capitol Cops) have their own division.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
the reason for that is it's easy to study a lot about safety, but they're looking for someone with the practical/real-world knowledge of it.

Think of it like this, although it's a poor analogy: would you rather listen to some college kid with a degree in safety or a firefighter/ems teaching you the same thing?

Speaking from personal experience, I can safely say that college only takes you so far and it doesn't teach you a lot of things that you need to do your job.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

SWATJester posted:

There are exceptions to that though; I don't know how they work but I've heard of FSOs at State doing precisely this. I think they have to notify people well in advance, I'm not entirely sure how it works. Someone from the FSO thread might be able to explain more.

Yeah, it really is hit or miss. My wife is not a US Citizen, but my clearance was not revoked.. I did have to let the Security Officer/Defense Security Service know, however, and the did a background check on my wife & her family & everyone they know. Nice long report, but USCIS/Homeland pretty much wrapped it up for us, and gave her a green card. Since it turned out OK I assume there were no implications... Hit or miss, I guess. Private contractor here, BTW

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Gravel Gravy posted:

Hey thanks for this. Would've missed it if not for you. I long since got off the State listserv after months of receiving job announcements for senior positions and got tired of the spam. Unfortunately I will have to apply for the Foreign Affairs position. Maybe we could hold a Foggy Bottom goonmeet :)?

Short notice but any DC area goons might be interested in attending a federal job fair tomorrow from 2PM-7PM. Just heard about this and have been preparing since. http://makingthedifference.org/federaljobs/careerfair.shtml#maximize

VVV Yeah that is why I moved up here. I'm still unemployed but much better prospects than if I stayed in South Carolina. More interviews at least.

Eh? You're going too? ( I suggest everyone goes.. )

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
shoot, i just realized my resume is wayyyyy too long... trimmin' time!

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Standard resumes should be fine. Homeland has a 'preferred' layout/format, maybe some other agencies too. Not sure on length, some prefer the long layout, some prefer the short layout. (Myself, I am mixing it up.). Bring Business cards if you've got 'em.

Bring as many resumes as you can stuff into that little black folder, 15-20 is great. Unless you know specifically what you're going in for, but keep your options open..

Edit: NO MISTAKES on the resume, they'll be looking to whittle down for any reason they can. Have someone else proof it before you start the printing is best.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

A BS gets you in the door at GS-7, you could take the two accelerated promotions (6 months each) to G-11, and then it's a year to GS-12, then another full year to GS-13. I came in as a GS-9 and am about to make my GS-13 promotion after three years. He'd have to have come in as a GS-11 to make 13 in two years, which is, if I recall, reserved for PhDs and experienced patent professionals; I came in as a lawyer and patent agent, but fresh from taking the respective bars.

It's possible I am wrong, or this varies by agency, but I thought a BA/BS only qualified you for GS-5, realistically? Whereas if you had personal experience on top of that, you'd qualify for GS-7/GS-9?

I do know the intel agencies play it up a bit to retain the positions/compete with private sectors, but wow, it'd be cool if I qualified for a GS-9/GS-11 :P

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
All over this, thanks a bunch... been trying to get into UN for 3-some years now! Are there any UN goons? :( competition go~

postin from my phone, that job fair was okay, wayyyyyyy too many people, did not realize how many people actually don't have jobs :/. and I just spent an hour or so chatting with a nice girl from state, while she explained to me all about the civil service :/. The CIA lady did seem overly interested, though. She asked me a lot of questions.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
can't say.. did not see the homeland line. I doubt they took resumes, though. very few places took resumes.

CIA got to me when I was leaving/finished talking with the girl from State, actually. The recruiter? complemented me on my suit or shoes, I didn't hear her correctly, as I was walking by and we made conversation. It WAS a little amusing, if about douche-y, to talk about "that part of CIA which we cannot talk about (she knew this part right off the bat, i bet she got asked it a lot)" and I asked what that kind of job entails and if they "possibly have any possible potential positions that may or may not possibly be IT or Analysis, and may or may not be available". She didn't tell me to go to the website on that, and instead we exchanged business cards and she started asked pretty specific questions about my current job and how I handle it under pressure (which she shouldn't really know :psyduck: ), which is a really bizarre conversation for me to have. I'm thinking of following up, since her business card is absolutely hilarious.

Am definitely following up with that cutie from State/civil service, though.

edit: I'm assuming it was NSA who had those butterfly knife-pens? Their freebies get wackier each year.

edit2: State had 2 lines. one was really long and the other was really short. Like, five minute wait short.

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 15, 2010

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
A reminder to thank Obama, if he gets his way: the hiring time will cut down to something like 60-90 days from when you submit your resume, till they have an answer or an offer. Period. (Some agencies, of course, are excepted from this)

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
It depends on the position you apply for and the agency's guidelines, perhaps. Some are strict, something like no more than 3 times and you can't inhale ever, while others understand.

OTOH my interviewer flat out looked at me with disbelief, raised eye and all. called me out on it right then and there, went and did her check, came back a second time, called me out on some other stuff, did a follow up on that..

afaik, all of my references had (attempted) contacts. All 19 pages of 'em. I know this because one day I woke up and found I received emails asking what kind of trouble I got into/they never want to hear from me again/why is a federal officer asking questions about me/"YOU TERRORIST"/"the 'FBI' called but I didn't speak english hope this helps" (? on this one), etc.

Your milage varies, really. Think positive, maybe they weren't making eye contact because you already showed them you can be honest? If you happen to have to fill out another SF-85, make sure you put the experience on it... Honesty is always the best policy. Lying to the interviewer is not just perjury, it's a federal crime.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
no, grover's correct. They only really care about it on government, or reaching, employer's, computers.

Unless you got sanctioned at work, or served infringement at home (getting a C&D from ISP doesn't count iirc - has to be a bona fide), which is a felony? then they care.

The IT Guideline is written really vague for a reason.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

SWATJester posted:

VA is a great opportunity to work outside of Washington but that being said, the VA is a lovely organization to work for, has terrible leadership, and will depress you at all levels.

can neither confirm nor deny. General advice in the medical industry; protect your PHI like you would your credit score.

also, kids: don't lie during your security clearance. Even if your employer tells you to. It'll bite you, not them, in the rear end.

Any Homeland goons here?

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Out of morbid curiosity, were you busted by the DEA?

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Don't sweat the security clearance so much. Some agencies hire you before the clearance is done (as usually you will be given an interim clearance), and keep you around for the ~3-6months doing other tasks, or job training, etc, until it goes final. NGA is one of these agencies.

edit: you're spot on about the hiring fair, though.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Zoo posted:

Turning down the offer shouldn't be a negative mark, but it might raise questions if you're already well into the process. I'm not sure what happens if you turn down the job once your investigation has started.

You could also try to find some way to not get in the 12-mo contract, or even take the contract if you have to, don't tell NGA anything about it right now (apart from maybe salary renegotiation), and then play it by ear. You never know; your clearance investigation COULD take >12mos, or take 10mos and NGA might be able to allow a start date set to 2mos after that, and then you'd be fine to just switch over. And if not, turn down NGA at that point and explain why (caveat being that, as mentioned, I don't know matter-of-factly whether or not there are consequences for doing this once you have the clearance).

Judging from what the 'clearance guys' tell me - if at any time you rescind your employment; the clearance process is immediately terminated once they are notified. Don't quote, but I believe your 1 year cycle kicks in at this point. It's fine for one but I wouldn't go around doing it multiple times.

Zoo you're one of my favorite posters, always with the good advice :3 It honestly depends on level of clearance you're being applied for and whatever mitigating circumstances you're facing.

If your private sector job is At-Will Employment (see: in the state of Virginia or Maryland) then I don't see harm in it. However don't lock yourself in a contract necessarily because there is no absolute time frame on how long your clearance process will take; NGA may very well start you on interim clearances doing administrative duties or the such. Pick whichever would make you happier, I guess!

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
wild card, but just promoting conversation.. for any FBI/DOJ guys out there: Any advice for applying to their respective IT/CS (forensics or otherwise) departments?

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
CherryCola, don't worry about it - if you miss something, they'll follow up with you and asked why you missed it. You're not expected to remember everything, but as long as you're honest about it they'll let it slide due to a memory disrespecancy. If you even DO have a call-out/follow-up interview, expect it to be at ease, but pretty thorough.

For names, yeah. You want something. Even if it's only a last-known. They're proficient at following up, mind you.

It doesn't matter how many international people you know, just whether or not you put them down, and how you know them. If you have any contact info, then put it down. If not, put down the reason why you don't have contact info. (I.E. I met them in school, same class, study group, etc, but did not use email). If they want to know more say 'sorry i've been out of touch with that person'. Worst case, they'll make you prove how you've been out of touch with that person.

The #1 thing is to be honest. Like "imagine they're hooking you up to a polygraph honest" or "i am swearing this before a federal judge in federal court honest", because either one is always a possibility to happen as you move on (the latter is pretty likely FYI) If you honestly can't recall any of the information, not much they can do about it but take your word.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

CherryCola posted:

Thanks for the advice. On the form itself there was nowhere to put contact info, but I just put how I knew the person in the additional info box. I should be able to find contact info for most of them pretty easily, though. I just sent all my stuff out today, so here's hoping the process is quick and painless! I'd even be okay with some pain as long as it's quick. hurrr

edit: I JUST GOT A TEMP JOB FOR TWO MONTHS! Thank god, I'm not going to starve while I wait for this stuff.

Congrats on the temp job! You're still in DC, right?

Anyway, if you already mailed your forms, then it's literally out of your hands. But they operate on their own time.

Sundae - I believe they're authorized to reimburse your expenses for it at least under GSA Schedules. USPTO doesn't seem to be having budget issues this year so :iiam: why they'd both say no and cancel your interview. Did you rub off in the wrong way or something?

edit: Yes

Pre-employment Interview Travel posted:

The law (5 U.S.C. 5706b), authorizes agencies to reimburse certain pre-employment interview travel expenses of interviewees. Reimbursable expenses include most of the expenses payable to a federal employee traveling on official business. Specific information is contained in Subpart C of Part 301-75 of the FTR.

FTR is Federal Travel Regulation, that is published in Chapters 300 through 304 of Title 41 of the Code of Federal Regulations if anyone asks.

It includes (GSA determines the $; it varies by state. but each will be capped at a per-day. Like meals, you'd have a $70 meal allowance per day, including all 3 meals... anything over that and you'd have to submit a reciept and go through a rather long process, and $120? or so lodging, etc.)

* meals and incidental expenses covered by the per diem allowance or actual expenses allowance;

* miscellaneous transportation expenses such as local transportation system and taxi fares; parking fees; ferry fees; bridge, road, and tunnel fees; and aircraft parking, landing, and tie-down fees;

* gasoline and other variable expenses covered by the mileage allowance for advantageous use of a privately owned automobile for official business;

* lodging, hotels, motels, etc. ** - special restrictions apply for foreign travel or frequent travelling, DoD, and Department of State

* Milage;
- 36.5 cents per mile for privately owned automobile;
- 97.5 cents per mile for privately owned airplane; and
- 28 cents per mile for privately owned motorcycle.

also extensively applies to those under the ADA -

quote:

Travel Expenses of Federal Employees with Disabilities—The FTR authorizes payment of certain additional travel expenses necessarily incurred by an employee as a result of the employee’s disability. Reimbursable expenses include travel and transportation of an attendant; cost of specialized transportation to, from, and/or at the temporary duty location; cost of specialized services provided by a commercial carrier; cost of baggage handling; and cost of transporting or renting a wheelchair.

source: GSA(.gov), http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/content/policies_content.jsp?contentOID=115105&contentType=1006&PMTT=1/

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 5, 2010

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Sundae posted:

It wouldn't be the first time I'd rubbed someone the wrong way, but this would be a new record for the smallest number of words needed in order to do it.

I have no idea. The only thing I can think of is that they maybe their thinking was "Eh, we needed to reschedule his interview AND he's asking about reimbursement? Screw that, we've got 900 other applicants for the job who are easier."

That's all I've got. Oh well.

Well, I had no specifics of your case. Try and keep dialogue open, shoot them an e-mail and ask why, since they obviously invested so much time in you in the first place. was there a misunderstanding and they thought you were local? or.. (the sneaky way to do it, is to go to the interview and then submit reimbursement claims after, or ask the secretary it as a last question or something - by GSA, I believe they have to follow that)

Reimbursement shouldn't be a big deal at all for them, is what I was trying to say. Re-scheduling an interview is nothing special either. If you're at the interview stage you already bypassed 90% of the other candidates, it hardly makes any sense. Heck I know someone who just postponed their DOJ interview an entire month without a problem, and they called him for a follow up interview. (edit: Milage Varies, I suppose!)

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 5, 2010

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
CherryCola - Congrats! D.C. law firms are always a fun place to hang around. They'll never be out of business, that's for sure.

TCD - Note I said "special exceptions for DoS" - that's actually written in the law. State are the lucky guys, seems they get to do whatever...

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I'm a current Fulbright Fellow.

Everyone should apply for a Fulbright.

(unless you have a good job already or something)

can you elaborate a little more on the process, any advice? Might be useful for the thread.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Beerdeer posted:

You can add me to the list of Fed goons. I work in USCIS.

Which department, specifically? USCIS sounds like a place where you have a lot of fascinating and heartwrenchng stories :P

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

CherryCola posted:

Now I'm really starting to wish I hadn't been told that my clearance is in adjudication. I'm sure I won't hear anything for like a month, but that doesn't stop me from refreshing my email about 80 times a day.

Adjudication?

Mine's been in adjudication for a little over 3 years. I hope this helps. Granted, my situation is a special case and it's probably unlikely you're in the same boat.

But DOHA will notify your ISO (at NGA) or yourself directly for more information soon. [within the few months]

With the infosec thing going around on Wikileaks, though. Heh.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Holy poo poo, did you kill a diplomat or something?

Worse, apparently.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

seo posted:

it is. i'm debating whether it would be worth it or not. I'm a computer engineering student and adding on an information assurance concentration would add at least a semester of my time, but the benefits are outstanding. i'd just like to know where the internships and job placements are and what they end up doing. I'd assume the majority are in DC with NSA but I'd rather move westward. Don't know if anyone has any advice on usajobs search terms to give me an idea

IA is a good field to get into...

Everyone has IA. Everyone. Granted your internship might be with an intel or homeland, (if not a generic IT post at another agency), but yeah, your prospects shouldn't be that difficult. While the private sector does have considerably higher pay, the federal's benefits are better. I guess you have to ask yourself if you want to get rich, or live well.. Keep in mind that not every government agency offers benefits like subsidized/el cheapo housing (aside from State/USAID/PC, etc, in DC/MD/VA, I've only seen that there's a few apartment complexes that will give you ~10% off rent).

dvgrhl posted:

From everything I have seen, programs are trying like crazy to hire right now before the assumed hiring freeze to come in January.

Are we looking at the same thing, since I haven't seen any real difference in fed hiring. Unless you mean "trying like crazy to hire" is *posts 2 job openings instead of 1*

and pretty much what grover said.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

JacksLibido posted:

Thanks for the info! I still have a few years left on my contract so the job fair wouldn't work for me just yet, but after reading a few of these threads it looks like the application process is long enough that I'd better start at least looking at what kind of job I want. I really don't know enough about the different jobs to be able to say if I'm looking for an analyst job or one in collection, do you know of any sites or forums where I could find a better break down or some lifestyle info?

I'm looking for something where I wouldn't be stuck behind a desk, and preferably where I wouldn't be stuck living on the East Coast but that's not a big deal.

Never thought about them actually, thanks for the suggestion.

What Zoo said, & be careful whose advice you trust if you browse forums. The CIA has a clandestine wing (NCS), of course. Your problem there is that it is not talked about (at all). You will have to ask them (H.R.) directly about the day-to-day since I believe even talking about the job (stating that you work for them), even to family members, is grounds for termination. You may be in luck, though, since they're looking for Collectors: https://www.cia.gov/careers/opportunities/clandestine/core-collector.html

FBI Special Agent (from those that I've talked with) undergo a pretty rigorous process, but the day-to-day work generally varies. someone in financial analysis or behavioral science will not get out as often as say, someone in the domestic terrorism.

I will say that networking is absolutely essential for a non-analyst CIA position.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
I can't even begin to presume if it is 'dangerous' or not, since nobody knows what a NCS agent really does aside from NCS agents... and the ones you even suspect of aren't telling.

For telling people, IIRC they even mention on the website that they do not advocate telling anyone including your immediate family, as that affects "your employment opportunities both present and future."

I'd like to think they give you some leeway ("I work for the CIA, doing *vague economic stuff*" opposed to "Im a spy for the CIA"); Like Jack Ryan - his wife knew he worked for the CIA, just never specifically what he did.

What I *can* tell you, and what I think was Zoo's point, though, is anyone on any forum claiming to be a 'CIA agent' is in all likelihood, probably not. (i am sure you can see the similar types, like who claims to be 'Special Forces' or 'Navy SEALs'.. speaking from personal experience, the people who actually hold those jobs don't tend to go around and announce it over the internet. Then again you have people like th3j3st3r..) So just be extra careful checking your sources.

Kase Im Licht, If your friend went through the process, if you don't mind putting her in touch, I have some questions I'd like to ask about it. (Namely about the networking part, not the interviews)

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
weren't they shooting for a no-later-than-2013-for-everybody for the new '80 day' process? Or was I thinking about something else? (2014 was healthcare, I recall)

Mind you, some were still exempt. At this point I forget which, but I remember that the Intel's and State were.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
the e-qip is pretty much the SF-86 but a little more thorough and requires digital signing. YMMV depending on the clearance but some of them go reaaaal far back.

On the contractor discussion, I see job postings are always written a little vague to give the recruiter/HRs more leeway in hiring. It's not as much '2 years requirement'; it's how you present yourself in thinking uniquely.For a position requiring 2 years managing experience, etc - were you on the student council or a club or something? then yeah you have that kind of experience, it's just in a different environment.

The clearance thing is not so much an excuse. Any company will put you through the process if they feel you are worth it to them. A lot of contractors also have current business contracts which require clearance; so if someone up and leaves, they look for someone who already has clearance so they don't delay their projects, because that person will also have to undergo a background check and other stuff.. e.g. You can't just shove someone into a Army contract, they'd have to pass Army clearance in addition to any other DOD mandated clearance - which can take awhile, in which you'd not be actually working or be assigned to duties what you are not hired for. If the contract is only, say, 6 months - then that original plan would have to be dropped..

BAE, Lockheed, Booz, etc are Defense (and Civil) Contractors, 'consultants' if you will, Think Tanks are more like what Xandu said - often have names like "New American Policy" or "Internet Caucus Advisory Committee" / "Internet Education Foundation", things like that - people who want to get into policy advising/manipulation and essentially lobbying. (edit: These mostly require experience, or at least some kind of academic standing. Say, for a nanotech initiative, A Ph.D in Nanotechnology will suffice in most cases. However, for say, Veteran's Healthcare rights, they're going to look for someone who has a lot of experience in Healthcare, Privacy, IT, and probably is also a vet themselves..)

It's not to say that defense contractors are also involved in the same kind of work, and certainly some postings are tailored to individual resumes.

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 19, 2011

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
JetsGuy, it's not directly asking you if you've actually had a DR-01 job; it's asking if you have performed at a level similar to DR-01, or positions (GS) that are similar. If you can spin your Ph.D Experiences (labwork? Managing/TA?) with your overall education then answer yes and let H.R. sort it out for you.

Maybe a better analogy: A mother applies for a managing job. They do not necessarily ask her to have that necessary experience, but she has experience managing time, finances, making sure people complete their (home)work, etc. She may also have knowledge of say, biochemistry or IT or something, but she also has experience managing people and thus can appropriately meet the position's requirements. Unless the position is specifically detailed/asking for people who have had "Biochem/IT/whatever Managing Experience", which is when you know they have someone already in mind.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Congratulations, SWATJester!

To recap, how long was it since you took the FSOT to you got the offer today?

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

SWATJester posted:

Interesting DSS post. DSS agents are very strange, in that out of almost all law enforcement I've come across, they have at times the closest job to straight military infantry (which I did in the army), and at times one of the more paperwork heavy investigatory positions. It's a very strange mix.

Yeah, DSS guys operate like the Military but with the Bureaucracy of the Fed. It IS st range, even volatile at times (especially with contractors).

Edit: Special Investigator posting with the Secret Service/Homeland Security went live today. <--- what kind of S.I. From talking with USSS recruiters for those spots you need experience out the rear end or they already have someone in mind.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
What Happydayz/Zoo are saying also extends to the private contractor business as well... I have referred a few goons myself (no hits to date) but senior execs often have a gigantic pile of resumes on their desks and just ask people for input which to look at, then go from there whether they are qualified or not. It really is random and luck.

grover posted:

Despite it all, we're still having trouble finding qualified applicants for our positions. My department has had two billets open for a year and is still having trouble filling them. They're senior positions so we can't just take people off the street.

Well, as this is the thread and it's word of mouth - Mind sharing the billets? Who knows, maybe you will find a fit.

Zoo, its funny you mention contractors - it definitely seems to be hit or miss on this end. Alternatively, I can't seem to get into the job I really want :v:

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
wasn't asking for myself in particular, but I do know there's a few senior folks lurkin'.

DIA seems fun to work for..

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

CherryCola posted:

Guess whose clearance just went through! (Yup, that would be me!)

I'm so excited that my job is actually a sure thing now. I just have to wait for them to put me in a training cohort. Unfortunately, February and March are both full and April might be filling up too. If I can't get into the April group, then I'll probably have to wait until the summer because of the BRAC move. But I'm not going to get stressed about this because at least I have a pretty pleasant temp assignment until mid-April...and there's actually a light at the end of the tunnel!

Thank Jeebus.

Thanks for putting up with my constant freaking out, guys!

FYI, now you can browse clearancejobs.com - which is like USAJobs but people actually respond to you... although they tend to look for TS. (and your job is not a sure thing until your paperwork goes through. But now you have Security Clearance for ~2 years which makes hiring getting easy if it doesn't go through. Also be aware that Your-Agency Security Clearance does not equal every agency Security Clearance. A NGA Clearance is not equal to State, which in turn is not equal to IRS/DOE/whoever's etc. But personally I have found it helps getting your paperwork through if you have clearance from X and seeking Y clearance they tend to rubber stamp things a little bit.)

there is a bunch of unspoken rules now that you have security clearance, though. It can be revoked at any time. You're not expected to be a goody-two-shoes but don't get yourself caught up in something bad. Just me, but I wouldn't post it on facebook or the like (the general saying is don't paint yourself a target). edit: It's OK to put it on your resume, though. Put it at the bottom/with certifications with the format [Clearance Type] [Issuing Agency]. Expiration date or granted date is not needed unless it expired already.

Also, print a hard copy of that e-mail if they sent it to you that way. You never know if you might have to prove that you were given clearance.

Gravel Gravy, mine was most certainly a unique case, but 3 1/2 years.

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 15, 2011

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Business of Ferrets posted:

For the State Department, at least, (and I suspect the rest of the USG, too) a clearance is not awarded until actually entering on duty. The investigation, etc., is all done, but there are specific steps that have to take place before you actually have a clearance, and those can only happen after entry on duty. Until then, you don't have a clearance, and shouldn't suggest as much on job apps/resumes, etc.

Once you're on duty, though, go hog wild!

Interesting. Perhaps mine was a little different. I got a letter and an e-mail stating I was granted from Issuing Agency and from the issuing date onwards it was active. For individual agency clearance, I insist on having it go through before I actually start any work (just as a best practice), even if it's just public trust.

the #1 rule i was taught that was you need to have your papers in first. All it takes is 1 auditor, internal or external, to mess up your day without your papers. (tbqh, I am not really clued in on the amount of internal auditing feds do. but I know they love to externally audit. so that advice may not apply.) If she hasn't gotten her papers in yet then best to follow your guidance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
See! that wasn't so bad! Now wait till you see the SF-86 :suicide: