Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, or if all embassy jobs are technically U.S. federal jobs, but does anyone know anything about working as a Residential Security Adviser? I applied for this position at the London embassy and am anxiously waiting to hear back :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

SWATJester posted:

Ask in the FSO thread. It sounds like a local hire position, one of the FSOs there with more experience could answer better. It's linked in the OP.
Thanks!

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Just registered on USAJOBS this morning and am a bit overwhelmed. I'm living overseas to get my masters degree and will graduate/move back to the States in June/July. Should I apply for jobs with closing dates around June or July of 2011? Or since the process can take longer, should I apply for jobs with earlier closing dates? I'm surprised to see closing dates that are a year from now- are these rolling applications or will they seriously not even look at them for a whole year?

Also, the few jobs I've looked at don't mention any kind of clearance as they're mostly healthcare or social services related. Will the fact that I have a foreign husband (who has a valid green card) and loads of family in Iran be an issue?

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Gawain The Blind posted:

Apply for everything. At worst if you aren't back in time to start a job you end up getting, you tell them you made a mistake and won't be back until X time. They may just let you show up then if its not crazy. At best you'll get back at exactly the right time after its taken them months to finally call you.

Your husband and family shouldn't be an issue, but I don't know for sure. It also probably depends on what level of security clearance your profession requires. At higher levels I am willing to bet it does matter, even if they don't tell you that.

Great, thanks for this. Should I write down that I can't start until July 2011 or should I pretend I can start immediately so they don't just ignore my application? Honestly, I'm willing to drop my masters for a well paying job right now but I don't know how well that would go over. Also, I'm assuming I should answer all of the questions on the assessment questionnaire honestly? I've had loads of academic experience in the jobs I'm applying for, plus a few internships but no independent experience. For example, the questions all ask me to choose from these options:

A I have not had education, training or experience in performing this task.
B I have had education or training in performing the task, but have not yet performed it on the job.
C I have performed this task on the job. My work on this task was monitored closely by a supervisor or senior employee to ensure compliance with proper procedures.
D I have performed this task as a regular part of a job. I have performed it independently and normally without review by a supervisor or senior employee.
E I am considered an expert in performing this task. I have supervised performance of this task or am normally the person who is consulted by other workers to assist them in doing this task because of my expertise.

I find myself putting C for most of them, but will this result in my application being thrown out immediately since it will result in a lower score? Thanks again!

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Just had an interview for a research support position. Fingers crossed!

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

I got the research job! The listing had a salary range, but when I asked what the pay would be, they said it was set at GS7 step 1, which is the lowest of the range given on the job description. Is there any room for negotiation? It's a VA hospital if that matters.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Cyrezar posted:

You are able to negotiate somewhat based on experience and education. What is the GS progression for that position? IE, GS 5/7/9 or 7/9/11? If the position is simply GS-7 you can negotiate as far as the steps are concerned. I work at a GS 7/9/11 job and I've had coworkers with postgraduate degrees and significant experience in the private sector come in as grade 11 step x.

Granted, this was after they had already taken a 50% paycut to work for the Feds and had a written job offer from a private sector company for much higher than what the government was willing to pay.

The big thing to know is that what grade you come in matters, because you will then be limited by that as far as promotions. I came in out of school and started as a GS7 due to having above a 3.0 GPA. Some people I got hired with were hired as 5s, some as 9s or 11s. I know when you apply you are supposed to apply for the highest grade which you would qualify for. After spending a year at GS7, I am automatically (as long as you don't gently caress up) promoted to GS9. After a year at GS9, ditto to GS11. After that the competitive promotions to 12/13 etc are required but you will still get step increases as Grover said. You will not get a grade increase and a step increase in the same year under any normal circumstances.

It is really pretty complicated especially when you look at what the requirements are for each level. It is a big advantage to come in at a 9 versus a 7 or 5 simply due to the fact that you have to spend an extra year to progress in your career (not to mention the pay at those levels).
Thanks for all the advice- it seems pretty confusing. The job I was offered is a 2 year contract position with the opportunity to stay on if they like me. The job description lists the series and grade as GS-0181-07, but also says a term appointment is a nonstatus, nonpermanent position of limited duration so I'm not sure if the pay increases apply to me? I haven't received anything official from HR yet so I'll be sure to see if there's any room for negotiation once I hear from them.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

I got a GS7 Step 1 job offer and asked HR if I would qualify for a higher step based on the fact that I'll have a masters before I start. She said no, that GS7 Step 1 is where you'd start with a masters. I took her word for it, sulked a little, and accepted the job offer (they only gave me 3 days to accept, so it was really rushed).

Then I started actually reading up on it. Everything I've read says that a masters should start you at GS9. I understand that the job posting was GS7, so I don't expect to be bumped up to GS9 or anything, but I was given incorrect information by HR and think I should at least be considered to start at a higher step. The salary range listed on the job posting allows for that. Now that I've accepted their offer, is it too late to try to negotiate again? Not that the first was really much negotiation, I was just asking them a simple question. Doesn't the fact that I've already accepted the offer indicate I'm willing to take the GS7 Step 1 pay and thus make any negotiations sound really weak? I feel like such an idiot.

For what it's worth, I haven't signed anything yet, I just called them and accepted. My potential supervisor is really enthusiastic and excited that I've accepted, so I don't want to gently caress things up now. But I also don't want to lose out on a potential $5-$10k raise.

If it's not totally lovely to negotiate, how on earth do I do this? I'm not living in the city where the job is. Would I do it over the phone? Should I email them a list of reasons I should be started at a higher step?

Yay for being clueless for my first adult job offer.

amethystbliss fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 19, 2011

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Thanks for all of the responses! When I got word from my supervisor that they wanted to offer me the position, she said everyone starts at GS-7 Step 1 but that HR would be more helpful with the pay side of things. However the job posting itself says salary is from $38,790 to $50,431. Does this mean HR is authorized to pay up to $50,431 (step 10)? For what it's worth, GS9 Step 1 starts at $47,448. The job is a 2 year contract, so whether I'm on G7 or G9 isn't too important to me, I just want to get the most competitive salary.

I don't start until September, so back pay shouldn't be an issue since I'll have my masters by then. I was going off of this document when I thought Masters for GS-9:http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/Standards/group-stds/gs-prof.asp

Thanks again :).

amethystbliss fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 1, 2011

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

I pity whoever has to do my background check. Apparently I've lived in 12 different places since 2005 and have 18+ references (job supervisors, people to verify periods of unemployment, people to verify everywhere I've lived, and people who know me well). Oh, and I've lived abroad for 2 years and am married to a foreigner. Here's to hoping I don't fail!

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Glad to hear it's not as big a deal as I first thought. Nothing questionable in my background, just moving around for undergrad and grad school. My husband is a U.S. permanent resident, so that's all on the up and up.

I'm working on the SF-85 form which doesn't seem to be too bad compared to others. Start date is in September, so I'm hopeful it will be done by then. I haven't talked to some of my past employers for 3-5 years- am I allowed to ring them and let them know they might be expected to complete a questionnaire or interview?

Edit: Holy poo poo, Skandiaavity. That must have taken so much patience!

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I applied for my federal job in October and didn't get an interview until February. Then they gave me an offer two days after interview and wanted my response within 3 days. Just waiting to hear about background check stuff now and have a tentative September 1st start date.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Drewski posted:

Anyone got experience with the VA? I just got referred to a program analyst intern position in Portland :D

I am wondering how quick the VA is to respond to referrals?

I was referred to the VA back in October but wasn't contacted for an interview until mid February. Not in Portland, though, so the Portland VA could be more efficient.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Single position, application closed on October 18th, referral was on October 26th, contacted for interview on Feb. 15th and got the job a week later.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Wahoo...just negotiated myself a 10% raise! I somehow convinced HR and my future boss to start me on a step 4 instead of a step 1. I was asking about whether it was possible to start higher than a step 1 a while back, so just wanted to update. Over 2 months til I start...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

Congrats, what position is this?
Thanks! Research with the VA.