Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What are good agencies to look at for research/analyst jobs? I got the obvious ones: State, DoD, DIA, CIA, NSA. So far I haven't gotten any responses so I'm looking for more to try.

Edit: And I'll second the question about government jobs in NYC, I'd much rather live there than DC if I can manage it.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Problem with interning is you have to be independently wealthy to do it, those of us who come from poor families and have student loans to pay are hosed. The death of the paid internship is one of the worst things ever to happen to the job market.

On an entirely unrelated subject, I got an email saying I've advanced to the next round for a GAO communications job. How many rounds do these usually go through, should I care yet or wait for it to go higher?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't know about the personal email part, but I've learned to never underestimate the illiteracy of people. Especially in positions of power and responsibility where you'd expect them to be able to string together a loving comprehensible sentence.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Did any of you guys work on campaigns prior to getting into government jobs? I'm on one now and trying to figure out the best way to put it on my resume, what to specifically emphasize. I've mentioned the territory I'm responsible for and my volunteer recruitment already, figured those are good leadership/responsibility things, but I'm not sure what else to put now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Well you were being pretty ridiculous. Why would someone applying for a job have money concerns? And why would you need time to travel to DC from your home just because they insisted on an in-person interview? God, man, don't be such a dick.

But seriously that sucks. It's sad that there are so many applicants for every job that employers can pretty much do whatever the gently caress they want to us.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I always thought it was common knowledge that people in government make poo poo compared to what they would in the private sector. Same thing with universities for the most part.

Does anyone know about the US Commission on Civil Rights and what the staffing situation is there? Do the commissioners have their own staffs? I have a potential way in there but I'm trying to figure out how to approach it and what sorts of work it involves.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

grover posted:

What's wrong with GS-11? GS-5/7 is standard entry level for a college graduate with a BS in a professional field; even a PhD will only net you a GS-9 out of school. GS-11 is pretty damned good for an entry-level salary.

I think his point is GS-11 is way beyond what he qualifies for. I've encountered the same problem in a lot of apps I try. Most of them have no real entry level at all. I don't know how the gently caress you're supposed to get anywhere when even the "entry level" jobs want five years of experience.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The NSA isn't hiring Arabic speakers? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Are there any paid internship programs left? The problem with so much of the entry level being replaced by interns is that it makes it impossible for poor people to get these jobs. Even before I had student loans to pay I couldn't possibly live in DC for months without getting paid.