Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
"Is QB rating a flawed stat? How could it be, it's called QB rating" - Bashez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Wollawolla posted:

The majority of people here weren't even alive while he was coaching. Why should we care?

He was successful with a rival??? Duh??? Like don't you have hundreds of pounds of resentment for Gale Sayers?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
God, Ryan Clark's really an awful player

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Welker had given up on the play, the pass had been batted down already. And Clark's an awful player because he thinks he's doing something good & right instead of stupid & needlessly dangerous

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Synnr posted:

I'm sorry to bother you guys about this but I wasn't sure who to bother.

My father called me up and was looking for a decent place he can stream live games, presumably all of them. The official ESPN stuff I've looked at doesn't always seem to carry the games he is looking for (Ravens), and the few attempts I've made to find something for him result in a lot of ESPN search hits and some dodgy looking websites. Do you guys recommend anything? He doesn't mind if there is a subscription required.

After Deteriorata's I'd say justin.tv is another option.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Doppelganger posted:

Is the phrase "We have this (name)" from anything specific, or did it just evolve from nothing?

I think it's one of many jokes from the intro to that video game. How are you gentlemen. Main screen turn on. All your base are belong to us. that one. Cats etc.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I often watch the tight end because whether it's a pass or run he's usually got an interesting assignment.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Evoq posted:

Yeah but were they sharing a stadium in 2007? Also if I remember correctly the NFL doesnt set preseason schedules.

The schedule is subject to change though, is it not? What sense would it make for them to not change the schedule when *whatever* happens.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but the NFL has no problem with the Jets and Giants playing each other, either in the preseason or the regular season. Yes, they shared Meadowlands stadium in 2007.

And while the times of games are flexible, opponents are pre-determined by a simple formula. Play your division 2x, one of the 3 other same-conference divisions (on a 3-year rotation), and one of the 4 other-conference divisions (also on rotation). Then your last 2 games are the teams that finished "equal" to you (first, second, third or fourth in their division) in the same conference you're in. So, take the Browns.

Bengals
Bengals
Ravens
Ravens
Steelers
Steelers
Rams (our turn to play the NFC West)
Cardinals
49ers
Seahawks
Jaguars (our turn to play the AFC South)
Colts
Texans
Titans
Raiders (finished 3rd in the AFC West)
Dolphins (finished 3rd in the AFC East)

There you have it! Every team's schedule follows that formula.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Uh, guys. One of the teams is designated the home team based on scheduling rules. Or, for the preseason, they alternate, not that it matters much. In 2009 the Giants were at home, in 2008 the Jets were.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
A lot of times there's overlap among the terms, so "power back" and "goal line back" are probably just about the same. Their running style is to seek out contact and drive through it. "Scatback" and "third down back" are also similar, in that they're quicker, shifty, more likely to be used as receivers.

Basically if you knew Cleveland Browns' history, I could just say Kevin Mack and Eric Metcalf, and you'd know the two categories. Mack was all power and cocaine, Metcalf was all speed/quickness (and probably cocaine). That's why Browns fans will always remember "Metcalf up the middle" with bitterness and disgust: because you don't send that type of RB up the middle. Give it to Hoard or Byner or whoever else we had--the bigger guy. Let the two guys play the roles they should, stop with the "surprise" poo poo.

You'll still see teams do that sometimes, go for the surprise. Third and short, they'll bring on the power guy but fake the handoff to him and try to throw it to him in the flat, stuff like that. When it works, great, but I usually don't like teams trying to use players against their role. You don't once in a while put an LB on Andre Johnson just to switch it up; don't do it on offense either.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

HKS posted:

which site(s) is considered a good resource for a fantasy football newbie? It's my 2nd year and as of last year I've never watched a game of football in my life.

The only sites I check are this one and rotoworld.com. In particular, Rotoworld's "Player News" page. You can narrow that by position and by team, too.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Oh yeah I forgot the most important site i visit https://www.mygut.com just go with it

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Those jerseys completely rule. The brown helmets represented old-rear end leather ones.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Here's a question specific to crm or HooverFan if he's around or fiz if he actually lived in Charlotte: Is it weird to have a "Carolina" team? I can't imagine having some kind of Ohio-Indiana or Ohio-West Virginia team or something. Actually I can't even imagine having just an Ohio team, which I think is what the Columbus Blue Jackets are going for, but anyway...is it just kind of a different way of thinking, that North Carolina and South Carolina people just don't care much?

I guess the basic question I'm asking is, aren't there separate identities for the two states? Is there a gap, and if so, why do several sports teams try to bridge the gap?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Other question. What are the rules about injury reports? I know Bill Belichick gets by with listing Tom Brady week after week as questionable, even though Brady always plays. But there's apparently no punishment for that or safeguard against Billy doing that.

On the other hand I have always figured that there's some requirement to actually list players who are hurt. This just came up in the Colts' case because they said they'll list Peyton in accordance with league policy. But what would the penalty be if they didn't list Peyton for the whole week, then announced Sunday he was out? Does the league have a "If a guy never appears on the injury report, he better suit up" rule? And what's the punishment for breaking it?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
"He hasn't had a winning record since high school!!" - a girl at the bar tonight several times. heh. What an idiot. Well, time to watch old MST3000 episodes all evening and then go to bed alone

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Actually I've thought that a team could try a few plays or a series with two QBs. The snap physics are too much to deal with so it'd be better to line up the "second" QB like an RB in the shotgun. Then at the snap you could pitch to him or let QB1 keep it, or fake a pitch and run an end-around the other way, or pitch it to him and run the line out to his side in a planned-rollout kinda thing. You could have 5 plays and run em in succession with no huddles and probably move down the field pretty fast. Or 3 and out.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Can somebody explain to me if there are any advanced stats worth giving a gently caress about. Keep in mind that I will obstinately ignore them if they don't match up with my preconceived notions based mostly on dim memories of Mel Kiper Jr.'s evaluations and the skin color and apparent demeanor of the player.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Jerome Agricola posted:

You suck so much.
Beg ya pardon.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I didn't see the play, but I can tell you the ball wouldn't be taken away from the team that committed the penalty just because of the penalty. They'd mark off the penalty from the spot of the foul and let them keep it.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

McKracken posted:

The only team I could understand people hating on for their logo would be Washington.

Not to start an international incident but that dude appears to be Australian so as far as reacting negatively to racism, well, uh,

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Koskinator posted:

I've heard a lot about how the backup/third string quarterback will stand on the sidelines holding a clipboard. What exactly is on that board?

I don't know this for sure, but my best guess is that he's taking notes on what he sees the opposing defense doing while his offense is on the field. Then between drives he and the starting QB can talk over what he's seeing and what adjustments they can make. He doesn't necessarily need to be involved in calling plays for his offense because they've got an offensive coordinator for that, but that might be part of his duties as well.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Dey Yah posted:

I just remembered that the Seahawks used to be an AFC team. They moved them to the NFC during the division restructuring in 2002 and brought the Texans into the AFC. I'm wondering why the Texans weren't just made an NFC team from the start. Anybody know what the deal is with that? huh?
Here's the 2001 alignment
pre:
East 	        Central 	West          East 	    Central 	West
Buffalo 	Baltimore 	Denver 	      Arizona 	    Chicago 	Atlanta
Indianapolis 	Cincinnati 	Kansas City   Dallas 	    Detroit 	Carolina
Miami 	        Cleveland 	Oakland       NY Giants     Green Bay 	New Orleans
New England 	Jacksonville 	San Diego     Philadelphia  Minnesota 	St. Louis
NY Jets 	Pittsburgh 	Seattle       Washington    Tampa Bay 	San Francisco
                Tennessee
The NFL knew it should go to four divisions per conference--with 16 teams per conference, why insist on three divisions--so they knew the four divisions would be North, South, East and West. Add Houston to any of those four cardinal directions and you kinda have to pick South. Putting them with San Francisco would have been ridiculous.

So if they're in the South of one of the two conferences, yeah, I guess it could have been NFC and each would have 16, but then you'd have the new NFC West as San Francisco, Arizona, St. Louis...? Do you really take Minnesota in there? And in the NFC South you now have Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Tampa Bay, and Carolina on the outside looking in. It would kind of be a logjam on both sides. Switching Seattle broke up a couple half-rivalries but it was the better solution.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
aka basically the only player press conference I really remember. God drat that was funny

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Its Miller Time posted:

I need a reasonable digestible guide of the major defensive and offensive formations and plays used in the NFL. Ideas? I'm also looking for a walk through of the major archetype and good examples for the various styles of each position. For example in receivers you have wideouts, slots guys, YAC guys. Running back you have scat-backs, short yardage guys, one cut guys. Quarterback you have traditional pocket guys, scramblers, and dual-threat. The kinda stuff people think about when they say player X is nothing like player Y for the same position.

Sure here's part two for you:

White guys
Small black guys
Big black guys
Other (??? none of these has emerged since Jim Thorpe)

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I think it's set by last year's record. Not sure.

But I know for sure that you're don't go to the back of the line after you claim somebody. Whatever your spot is, that's your spot.

And I think you get 48 hours to claim somebody, and if nobody does the guy's a free agent.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I follow several Broncos/general Denver news people on Twitter. THey're all pretty terrible

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I think the consensus best straight-updates site is https://www.rotoworld.com's Player News tab. It's actually the only thing I check since so much "analysis" is awful.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
ms paint

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
You're off your rocker mon frere

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
And there isn't much value in asserting so-and-so is the 47th best team in the country, so they stop at 25. It's a good line to say, this team's ranked, this team isn't, and actually have it mean something.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Right at the end they was flying the ohio flag doe??

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

How does a blindside block get cancelled out by swearing on the bench about the blindside block???

cry more

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Vando posted:

Welcome to bottom division football in Britain guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwoIU5F0rJQ

number 40 :stare:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
that owns dude have fun and protect ya neck. and head

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
It's always the right move for Joe Flacco to take the suck

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Cate the Great posted:

So what defines a defenseless player?

A receiver in the act of catching the ball; the quarterback while in the pocket although i guess this might be a separate set of rules. Once a receiver possesses the ball he can't be defenseless. I'm sure Trin will have the full explanation

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Vaya con Dios!!! posted:

Thanks guys...

Another question: why are plays designed in a reactionary manner to defenses? The offense has the advantage in that they're the ones who know what they are running, why add reactionary delay to your routes by including on the fly reads? I've always thought that certain receivers were going to be covered by design on certain plays and the more coverage they can absorb the less coverage elsewhere. Due to the space of the field, it seems like having 3 open receivers means you have 3 less open receivers, whereas if you have 1 or 2 totally smothered receivers, the 3rd is most likely enjoying man to man and a greater chance for separation. You only have one ball to throw!

Note that this is a totally amateur interpretation so go easy on me.

As I think about this, and do some reading, it seems this might be too complex a question for here, but if anyone wants to give it a go I'd appreciate it.

One problem here is the assumption you make that only the offense knows what it's running. In fact, defenses also know what they're running--whether it's a blitz or not, and whether the coverage is zone or man or some combination.

If you knew a defense was running the same coverage every play, say man coverage with a safety deep, then yeah, run a deep post to draw the safety and run a 10-yard cross underneath that. Then you'd be doing what you're suggesting, committing a guy to getting covered for the sake of opening someone else up.

As it is, though, you don't know what the defense is doing. So running a fixed route with no mind for the defense could very easily result in nobody open, if the defense's play is designed worth a drat. It takes immediate adjustment from the receivers to see what coverage the D is playing and identify how they can get open.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
You can't hit with your head or in the head, it's pretty basic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Chillback posted:

I'm trying to teach my girlfriends son the basics of football before he starts his first season of YAFL this coming summer. He is most interested in defense and being big for his age i'm assuming they will put him on the line. So here's what i got. A proper tackle is: watch the runners bellybutton where that goes the runner goes, always keep your head up, lead with your shoulder, make contact, wrap with your arms, lift and drive. Never listen to the count, only when the ball moves, you move. Always go until the whistle blows, a play isn't dead until the whistle ends it. When the ball is snapped, having a lower, steadier center of gravity gives you a better chance to move the guy in front of you back, giving you the advantage. On defense you ARE allowed to grab, push or pull with your hands, except towards the face-mask(which is under any circumstance). And wear a smoke colored visor for cool factor. Anyone else have any good advice they feel would be important to teach?

They can sometimes call defensive holding on the line, but it's very rare. And I think I'd tell him to watch the center of the chest rather than the belly button but it's about the same

• Locked thread