Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Its Miller Time posted:

Can we talk about one thing I don't get in general? Home-field advantage. I don't get it. You're telling me when you're playing professional athletes millions of dollars they play worse when they have to travel and play in some noise? Plenty of other (lesser) sports exist without a discussion of this term. Is it mostly in team sports? Is it true bookies give you roughly 3 points for playing at hoem?

Off the tope of my head:

Boxing
Baseball
Basketball
Football (as in, American Football)
Hockey
I don't know enough about soccer, cricket, etc.

But to answer specifically about football, there's 11 players that have to be coordinated at any one time on their side of the ball. If you are on offense and have to get the play call, snap count, line check, audibles, motion etc. and the whole stadium is screaming, they can't hear a darn thing. This is when you hear the term "silent count" being referenced. That alone is worth home field for the annoyance to the other offensive team. Not to mention that your entire typical routine stays exactly the same for a week instead of having to have someone show everyone exactly where things are (it's purely speculation but I'd have to think it's annoying to think about where the bathroom is every single time you have to go and find a place to eat etc). Yes, they're professionals, but they human as well. The 3 point line is a typical thing.

I wish I knew what that advantage felt like because I'm a Giants fan and they win much more on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

sc0tty posted:

Why did the guy try and sit on the endzone at the end of the Superbowl instead of running it in like a maniac?

He realized at the last moment that they were letting him score on purpose. If he goes down before the endzone, then the Patriots have to use their final timeout and any play after that runs the clock down/they kick a chipshot field goal to take the lead.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

SkunkDuster posted:

Was there some change to the length of the season in the 90s where they added a week? I seem to remember something changed to allow all teams (instead of just some teams) to have bye-weeks but the logic of that doesn't make sense.

There was a period of 2 possible scheduled Bye weeks so the regular season was technically 18 weeks

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I don't even like or play fantasy anymore but it brings a ton of casual fans to the NFL and is a non-zero consideration in how the league does its business. From the standpoint of stuff that actually matters Declan's idea is perfect but two bye weeks in a row for fantasy football or two weeks where you need to add/drop half your roster or whatever would probably kill it for a lot of people.

I'm pretty sure non-fan society would benefit from that kind of break. Actual weekend work getting done, errands completed, etc

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

k3nn posted:

Note that while this is true, if the ball bounces off the ground then you can't fair catch. Hence every onside kick being bounced off the ground immediately so the receiving team can't fair catch.

Keep in mind that the immediate one bounce followed by the ball traveling in the air is still a fair catch opportunity

• Locked thread