Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

"He hasn't had a winning record since high school!!" - a girl at the bar tonight several times. heh. What an idiot. Well, time to watch old MST3000 episodes all evening and then go to bed alone

Did you let her know you're noted forums poster DO YALL WANT A HAM? I feel like that'd help a lot. Maybe she wants a ham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Not to further this thread into Tebowville as all the other ones are: But as an impartial observer to the AFC West otherwise, and to the Broncos especially, Tim Tebow rules because he helped open a hospital in the Philippines and talked about doing so after a TNF game where everyone was praising him. I don't really care that he did it after he talked about how sexy he thinks christ is for 5 minutes, I just care that he seems to be a genuinely good person who actually lives by the tenants of the faith he preaches so earnestly. Plus it's hilarious.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Larch posted:

So when you have land or an apartment to rent, you have tenants. Tenants are the people who are renting from you.

When you have faith in a creed of some kind, there are principles that are generally held to be true by those adhering to that creed. These principles are called tenets. He lives by the tenets of the faith he preaches.

I don't think he's renting out his mind to his creed.

Larch I want you to picture a big black bird

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Was losing to the Tebows not disappointing?

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Plus it's pretty hard for ESPN to report on 24/7 without using the vaguest terms imaginable.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
If you mean like a menu based football "game" the only one I ever tried was Football Mogul that someone posted on here last season when they started the linked promotion (Free game for Liking them on Facebook). It' actually really fun and deep, but as far as I know there's no web based version.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Well I mean it's 2012 and there's still a team called the loving Redskins so I guess root for whoever you want or whatever.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

Didn't the Gronks beat the poo poo out of each other 24/7 in some institutionalized form of toughening up or something

Also their dad would whip tennis balls at their faces when they were 4 to develop their hands. "At first they'd get hit in the face and start crying, then they learned not to be afraid of the ball" or some other crazy child-scarring sports dad quote here instead.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Oh, and a stats question; if Team A punts, it's muffed, and they get the ball back, does that count as a 4th down conversion the same way that a successful QB sneak on 4th and 1 does?

As far as I can recall from every box score I've seen it counts as a turnover and not a 4th down conversion.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

JPrime posted:

At this moment in the Cards/Falcons game, the qb stats are as follows:

Lindley: 2/7 for 18.
Skelton: 2/7 for 6.

But the "QB Total" for AZ shows 4/14 for 18 yards? How does that work?

The total is removing yards from sacks, individual passing yards don't have sacks count against them.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Yo big L dawg: What the gently caress are you going on about and why do you think it matters in the least? Aside from the obvious; typing to chase away the bitter feelings of loneliness on this joyous holiday.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Also just saying "you're a world class athlete" is kind of downplaying how difficult it is to actually do all the things that are required, when you're dealing with the slim margins between correct and mistake that are the basis of every play in the NFL. Plus you're competing against other world class athletes, which kind of makes things a bit harder.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Your goal, until you absolutely have to do otherwise, is to take every point you can every opportunity you can get. Going for 2 and not getting it means the next TD makes it a 2 possession game, and in the second half you have no idea when that next td will come, so you want to avoid putting yourself in a position where you're required to recover an onside kick under 2 minutes. There's still a lot of time left to play and you could conceivably answer another TD with 3 fg's in this scenario, or 2 fg's with a TD of your own to tie the game.

The benefits of going for two there are really outweighed by the risk of lowering your odds of winning by getting down 2 scores. Or so goes the conventional thinking and the way I understand it. There might actually be a gamewinning % chance thing that would show otherwise there, but I'd be surprised if that were the case.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

Yeah, I don't know where he's at now. Some of the ones he does with other coaches are a bit hard to follow, but all the ones that are just him on his own are great.

I wish someone would do a weekly 22-minute version of this, Playbook used to be super wonky but it's not anymore.

NFL Matchup on ESPN used to have Jaws breaking down plays and actually explaining defensive coverages and offensive option routes really well.

Then they'd go from that little segment to letting Hodge yell POWER BACK ALLEYS WITH SEALS and just obliterated any interest you could have in actually watching it. But it comes on at like 4am sunday before the games, so you can dvr it and fast-forward through the lovely parts instead of watching whatever awful pre-game show you watch.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Hey not to backseat mod or anything but can we try not to be snarky dicks in the rookie thread? Does that help anything?

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

My impression was that when they say things like X is the Yth ranked Offense in the NFL, it is done on a PPG metric. Which seems to be without context to the point of uselessness, seeing as Points scored don't win you games of football, points scored more than your opponent does.

Really there's no single stat or number or metric, conventional or otherwise, that can tell you the whole story in context. Football is a game of too many variables and too few samples to really break down to a definitive ranking system. However while the offense's goal is at times to control the clock or the ball their ultimate goal beyond that is almost always to end up scoring points. Aside from very specific circumstances you're calling plays with the intention to advance the ball and end up with points. As a 100% ironclad infallible stat you're not going to find offensive PPG the determining factor of a team's ability, but across a whole season it tends to average out and give you some information, to be taken with other stats/metrics as well as the "eyeball test", that will help you determine a team's ability. For this purpose it's much more useful than yards given up, turnovers, TOP, etc. There's also point-differential, which is probably the most important conventional team stat, but that as well requires other information to infer anything "important".

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Also the head coach almost always makes every decision in the game from the coaching staff. As in going for 2 points, going for it on 4th down, punting, calling trick plays, timeouts, challenges, what they're doing if they win the coin toss, etc.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
He may also end up on the offensive line, and I think teaching him how that works/the actual goals of creating a pocket etc. are important and hard to just pick up as an 8-12 year old or whatever. I know when I played youth football on either line I just tried to gently caress up the person in front of me and had no concept of what I was actually supposed to do within the play. I don't think most plays are really working with counters and pulling at that level, so it worked out okay, but it was also very confusing for me since I'd never watched a non-Super Bowl football game. Actually that goes for both sides of the ball, teaching him how to work with the rest of the team can make it a lot more fun, he can feel like he's doing his job regardless of the result of the play.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

1. Not definitively I don't think, you can probably figure out when the AFCE gets the NFCN next but it would depend on the previous year's finish.

The inter-conference match ups have nothing to do with previous years finishes, and actually the inter divisional within the same conference match ups home/away aren't determined by previous record, just the 2 games of the schedule matching you with the other teams that finished with your ranking in their respective divisions changes.

The Dolphins play the Packers in GB in 2018, so some time after Brett Favre is inducted to the Hall of Fame, unless he decides to come back again/

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
^I think they didn't call it because they'd already filled their quota of terrible over-protective calls in favor of the offense at that point.

Serious question though why is it that the defense can't advance the football after a fumble on a 4th down after the two minute warning? Or more precisely what exactly does that mean? Say:

Offense fumbles the ball(1), the defense picks it up, and starts to run with it, defender(a) then fumbles it(2), and another defender(b) picks it up and continues running.

Inside two minutes how would that be ruled? Down at the spot they recovered the first fumble? Or that they're down at the spot defender B picked up the second fumble?

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

pangstrom posted:

Is there a place to download decent scouting reports going back more than a few years, or does anyone have access to a good repository and is willing to "co-author" an analysis? Plan is to do a text analysis and correlate it to NFL outcomes, and I think it will mostly be "gee whiz" stuff more than a useful tool.

I know I commented in the draft thread but just in case you (or anyone else) missed it, the analysis you did was really awesome, and I enjoyed reading it. I'm hopeful you get this next project going soon because it'd make for some very interesting off season football talk as well. Anyone that can help you, should, for the betterment of my entertainment options this summer. Thanks.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
I dont know poo poo about the PF HoF, but I can tell you the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame sure as poo poo isn't worth it. But that isn't anywhere close to answering your question.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

football fuckerman posted:

Browns actually hired Romeo Crennel after a coke binge and drafted Brandon Weeden in a fugue state

Drafting JFF makes much more sense now

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

dokmo posted:

If it was true that defenses tire more than offenses, you'd expect to see an increase in scoring as the game progresses. You do not see this.

What about the idea of tiring out more than the offense on long drives, opposed to in overall game time? Obviously that'd be harder to measure for because the more plays a drive lasts means it's had to have been successful on those plays, but is there any sign of a relationship after accounting for that?

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Have you not noticed that people post it in threads with "Week [blank] N/V"?

He didn't know what the initials stood for, not that they were tied to the thread title. Did you really not figure that out on your own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
The Bengals have their stadium right on the riverfront, team offices and administration located in the stadium, and practice in a strip of grass across the street, under a highway overpass, with shards of broken glass and chunks of concrete littering the field.

• Locked thread