Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ben is not cool posted:

Football Bowl Subdivision, formerly known as Division 1, is the top level of college football, where the post season consists of a series of bowl games instead of a playoff. Most people, I believe, want to go to a playoff system, but there is so much money tied up in bowls that this may never happen.

I'm going to expand on this. Not all of this directly pertains directly to football, but it comes up a lot and can be useful to know.

First, there is the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), which is pretty much what it sounds like. They make the rules and poo poo for "amateur" college sports, and throw the hammer down on USC when they do bad things.

There are three divisions: DI, DII, and DIII. There are qualifications for each divisions based on number of sports fielded, athletic scholarships granted, and a bunch of other stuff. To make it easy, DI is the big boys. In the late 70s, DI was further split into DI-A and DI-AA based on the status of the football program (number of scholarship players, attendance numbers, etc.) Again, DI-A is the big boys.

A couple years ago, DI-A and DI-AA were renamed Football Subdivision (FBS) and Football Championship subdivision (FCS), respectively. FBS has bowl games at the end of the season, FCS as a playoff.

Outside of NCAA classification, the conferences in FBS are further differentiated into BCS auto-bid (ACC, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, Pac-10, SEC) and non-auto-bid (C-USA, MAC, MWC, Sun Belt, WAC) conferences. This pretty much splits teams into the haves and have-nots of the college football world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

nnnAdam posted:

Helmet visors are badass. I understand why they banned them, but I still don't like it.
That is not badass. That's like when you were in elementary school and you wanted to get the lazer background on your school picture, but your mom made you get the standard blue because she was not an idiot.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

ch1mp posted:

I've got a college football question because I know nothing about college ball. How is the schedule determined for college teams and how far in advance is this done?
There isn't an overall scheduling system for the NCAA. It's left up to the teams, so this can get a little complicated. For the purposes of this we'll stick with I-A scheduling because it's all I know about.

For starters, every team schedules 12 regular season games*. Most teams (all but ND, Army, Navy, and in the future BYU) are in a conference, which schedules 8-9 of their regular season games for them. The remaining out-of-conference games are scheduled between schools as they see fit. These are often scheduled well in advance (5-10 years) either as a home-away or some type of longer series. The 1-off scheduler filler games will more often be scheduled 1-3 years in advance, and usually involve a big team paying some poo poo team a lot of money (in the range of $1 million these days) to come play at their stadium.

Conference scheduling is dont a few years in advance by the conferences. You might not know who you will be playing on the 5th week 4 years from now, but you know it will be a conference game, so you don't schedule an OOC game there.

* There is an exception where if you go to play at Hawaii you are allowed to play 13 games. The NCAA does this because nobody wants to play at Hawaii.

tk fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 5, 2010

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

ThatOtherGuy posted:

Okay, I need some help. I got asked how college bowl games work and how the teams in BCS bowl games are determined. I was kinda stumped and couldn't really explain it as much as I'd like and Yahoo! Answers is full of retards.

Obviously #1 and #2 go to the BCS Championship, but how are the Rose, Orange, Fiesta, and Sugar Bowls determined? Yahoo Answers would have me believe that it's Rose = Pac-10 and Big Ten champs, Orange = ACC champs, Fiesta = Big 12 champs, and Sugar = SEC champs. If that were true how did Texas play Michigan in the Rose Bowl in 2004? Was that because USC was playing in the National Championship?

help me college football goons

:confused:

Very detailed explanation here: http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819597

You are right about those affiliations. Those spots are predetermined. After that, there is a rotation (changes every year) for the order in which the bowls get to choose which qualifying team they want to play in their game. If a team that would have be in one of the predetermined slots goes to the championship game, that bowl gets first choice of replacement teams (that is how you got Texas vs. Michigan in the Rose).

The Rose Bowl has a special clause that the first time between now and 2014 that one of their affiliated teams makes it to the championship game and a non-BCS conference is a BCS auto-qualifier, they have to select that team. This was done to appease the other bowls who didn't like that the Rose would never be in a position to have to select a non-AQ team. If some of this doesn't make sense to you, the BCS site probably does a better job at explaining it.

The rest of the bowls are generally affiliated with a conference and have a pecking order of which teams they get to pick. Sometimes you'll see a Bowl Game A listed as something like Big Ten #3 vs. Big 12 #3. Generally it's looked at that the bowl will feature the #3 team in each of those conferences. What it actually means is that Bowl Game A has 3rd choice of which team from each conference it wants.

Team selection is generally done by whatever committee of rich fucks runs a given bowl game. It is most certainly not just "get the best team". Criteria used in this process are (off the top of my head) TV ratings, fan travel $$, game attendance, star-power, story-lines, and competition. How these factors are weighed by a bowl committee is up to them.

It gets more complicated of course, but I think that's a decent overview.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

-Dethstryk- posted:

Does anyone know of a site that lists NFL game summaries that includes number of possessions for each time, and not just time of possession?
If you really need the info, you can just count: http://espn.go.com/nfl/drivechart?gameId=300912027

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

nous_ posted:

What does ISO (as in the running play) actually mean?

What Dominion said, but it's short for isolation.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I usually just focus on whatever team I'm rooting for. Where on that team I look usually changes depending on what I want to happen (or not happen).

I get very frustrated watching football on TV and not being able to see what is going on downfield. The quarterback is just standing there, you're yelling at him to throw it, but you have absolutely no idea if anybody is open.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Doppelganger posted:

One thing I hear people talk about sometimes is how good of a route runner somebody is. How do people gauge this? It's not like we can look up the playbook or anything.

Most of the time people are just regurgitating what [a talking head/internet guru/person who has an opionion they like] said.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Roflsaurus Wrecks posted:

Has an NFL overtime game ever been won by a safety?

I believe one was won on a safety as a result of a blocked punt.

Edit: Another one in 2004 on a fumble-induced safety: http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=241114010

quote:

Bears only second team to win on OT safety
Brown sacked Billy Volek in the end zone and knocked the ball loose, and Tennessee tackle Fred Miller recovered but was tackled by Ogunleye for a safety to give the Bears a 19-17 overtime win over the Titans on Sunday.

It was only the second time an NFL game ended in overtime on a safety. The first was Nov. 5, 1989, when Minnesota beat the Los Angeles Rams 23-21 when Mike Merriweather blocked Dale Hatcher's punt and the ball rolled out of the end zone.

tk fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 17, 2010

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

McKracken posted:

Might be wrong on this, but I've seen NFL Films stuff or programs on NFLN about teams or players well into the 60's were guys were not able to rely on football to make ends meet. My guess would be some of the big name guys of that era were comfortable with just their football earnings like Unitas and the like, but not until the mid 70's were most players able to solely rely on their football salary.

In 1970 the union signed a contract requiring a minimum salary of $12,500 for rookies and $13,000 for veterans. Not sure on my history, but I don't think that would have been enough for a guy trying to support a family.

I would guess it was really until the mid 80s when the USFL started stealing their players.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Private Snowball posted:

1) I have found NFL fans pretty calm compared to college fans, but that game was probably more calm than usual due to a number of factors. Both the Lions and Vikings sucked this year (Lions suck every year). It was the last game of the year, and it meant pretty much nothing. Most people there were probably die-hards. 'Casual' fans checked out of the Lions a long time ago.

A majority of games across the league are sellouts, but not all. It will be worse for teams that are awful in cities with horrendous economies (Detroit).

2) All US football fields (high school, college, NFL) are the same size as far as I know (locations of hash marks change between levels). The internet says that CFL has 10 extra yards in each endzone, and and extra 10 yards in the center of the field. That gives a total of 150yds for CFL and 120yds for NFL. No idea on the width.

3) No idea about Ford Field specifically. Teams do hang up banners and poo poo, but the Lions don't really win anything.

4) The success of a player coming out of college into the NFL is wildly unpredictable. Some 6th round guys end up being great, some undrafted guys end up being great, some 1st round guys end up being great. Overall though, more guys end up being lovely/mediocre than great. LOTS of things factor into a players success. It's not just more talent = better than.

A player can play as soon as he is drafted. Players have to be out of high school for 3 years before they are able to be drafted.

5) I think he's a junior. He may come out this year because the guys behind him are amazing and he'll get less and less playing time. I don't follow the draft much, but I think he'll be one of the first RB drafted. He will not be the first overall pick in the draft.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

NuclearGuru posted:

What are some good football blogs/sites? Analysis, humor, whatever. I just like reading about football! I'm familiar with Football Outsiders, but I was reading in the Jets/Steelers thread that they are looked down upon somewhat, so I want to branch out.

For college football you want:
-edsbs
-Dr. Saturday
-Pre-Snap Read

Smart Football is pretty popular. He seems to write more about college than NFL.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

No Safe Word posted:

To clarify, D3 schools can still give scholarships, they're just :airquote: academic scholarships :airquote:, and I'm not sure how tightly monitored they are or how strict of standards they have to adhere to.

University of New England is under investigation for getting hockey players on "diversity scholarships": http://www.pressherald.com/news/ncaa-probes-athletes-financial-aid_2011-03-27.html

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rick posted:

What's a good way to get more informed about the outlooks of college teams before the season starts? The old man at Walgreens tonight said he thinks that Arizona is going to make the Rose Bowl this year, and then asked me what I thought, and I really didn't want to say "well, the guys on the Something Awful forums think they're going to be pretty mediocre this year."

I picked up an SI preview of the Pac 12 that seems ok, but SI is notoriously not good at breaking down basketball seasons and I'm not sure if I should really put a lot of stock in them. Also I would like to know about more than the Pac 12.

Pre-Snap Read does breakdowns of all the teams that are pretty decent. They did Arizona a while ago.

The Phil Steele college football preview thing is pretty popular as well.

These should do a good job of breaking down areas of concern and assumed strength for a team. Looking at lists/rankings is ultimately what you want to know, but be aware that, no matter how much care was taken in making them, they are entirely bullshit right now.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jamsque posted:

All of this Pryor talk has reminded me that I do not understand the supplemental draft at all. What is it? How does it work? It seems like teams give up next year's draft picks to get exclusivity on guys who weren't in this year's draft, is that about right?

You've got the idea. You submit a bid for what round you want to take a player at. If you're the highest, you get the player, and give up your pick in that round in the next draft.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Detective Thompson posted:

I was watching the 'Noles game the other night, and I saw that hit where the Florida player caught the ball and got his head sandwiched. I turned the channel because the first part of the Belichick thing was playing and I wanted to see it, so I was wondering if the said what happened to the guy that got rocked? When he hit the ground, I noticed his arms and one of his legs stuck up in the air, and I've heard that's a sign of a concussion.
They took him out on a stretcher, but by the end of the game he ended up walking back out on the sidelines.

quote:

Also, when watching college ball, I sometimes hear commentators call a player a true freshmen. What exactly does that mean? The only meaning I can make out of it is that the player is their first year of college, versus a player that has to do their freshmen year over again. But I wouldn't think that would happen, since don't most college programs hold their players to academic standards they need to meet if they want to play? I would think basically flunking your freshman year would mean no playtime for you.

In college, you can play for four years, but you have five years to use it. So you get one "redshirt" year that you get to be on the team/in school, but don't actually get to participate in contents.

When they are referring to a "true freshman" they mean a player that is in his first year of school. A "redshirt freshman" is a sophomore academically, but redshirted his first year, so he still has four years of eligibility left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Erkenntnis posted:

Is there much interest in FCS around here? Would be cool to shoot the poo poo with someone besides the anygivensaturday.com guys every week.

Make a thread. A lot of people will post in it up front, then ignore it until playoffs start.

• Locked thread