Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I dont get the Broncos as villains. I mean McDaniels is a weenie, but I dont see how a team hilariously self-destructing can really be considered villainous. A villain needs to be scary. Which is why the cowboys/patriots/steelers are villains.
Head coach/QB hatred. Same principle that causes the Jets to be a villain. The Jets haven't won poo poo in decades yet they get the same amount of hatred outside of their division that the Pats used to (and probably still do to some extent) receive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Tekopo posted:

How hard is it to get regular season tickets for an NFL game if you aren't a season ticket holder? I've never been to the US but I really want to see at least one live game and I was wondering how far in advance I would have to buy tickets or if it was even possible to get them without paying astronomical fees.
It's entirely dependent on the team. Some teams like the Jets/Giants don't reserve tickets to be sold to the general public so the only way a non-STH would get them is through places like StubHub or TicketMaster Exchange, usually with a hefty markup and fees. Other teams like the Pats/Ravens sell a small chunk to the general public but they're usually sold out within a day, so again StubHub or TicketMaster.

If you want to see the Jags, you're in luck and you can probably take your time.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Dominion posted:

I also assume people were grandfathered in, because I know people like Vick and LT used dark visors well after 98, and I don't think either of them have any medical issues requiring it.
Tomlinson has light-sensitivity issues that lead to migraines. Not sure about Vick though.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Lol the Bills are worse than the Browns and the Ravens and Bengals have been more competitive than the Jets and Dolphins for the last half decade.
Explain your obviously flawed reasoning here.

Bengals - 2 winning seasons in the last 5 years, 2 in the last decade. 0 playoff wins. 1 divisional title.
Jets - 3 winning seasons in the last 5 years, 7 in the last decade. 4 playoff wins. 1 divisional title.
Dolphins - 2 winning seasons in the last 5 years, 6 in the last decade. 1 playoff win. 2 divisional titles.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It's really annoying at games because they announce Hunter as an eligible receiver over the PA every single time he declares.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Probably a better question for the Armchair Quarterback forum, but footballguys.com does some very good projections and analysis in multiple league formats. ProFootballFocus also does good things with regards to projecting TD regression.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Strange Matter posted:

What's up with this QBR thing everyone in the N/V thread is railing over every week?
Full thread on its introduction.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3428802

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Good Will Punting posted:

I've got two questions that I feel are fairly appropriate to ask here.

1.) I feel like someone (maybe Jeffersonlives?) mentioned a book about football theory/strategy and I'm looking for some light commute reading so that would be much appreciated. Either it isn't in the OP anymore or I am blind.

2.) People mentioned a place they would buy jerseys from overseas for cheap. Anyone have a link?
1. I asked the same questions a few weeks back and came back with recommendations for "Football Scouting Methods" by Steve Belichick (Bill's father) and "Finding the Winning Edge" by Brian Billick and Bill Walsh, which is out of print. Just started on the Belichick one and it's pretty fantastic so far.

2. yukijersey.com or toonjersey.com. They're both the same outfit under different names.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think it goes both ways. Probably not too many American EPL fans that don't follow Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, etc.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

In 1998, he had a handshake deal to move the team to a publicly financed stadium in Hartford but he opted out of it 2 days before the deadline. Being able to leverage Massachusetts and his dream of building a huge strip mall in the middle of nowhere probably kept it from going through.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/20/nyregion/handshake-on-deal-to-move-patriots-to-hartford.html

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Zorkon posted:

So if the Vikings win today they lock in a home-and-home series with the Packers. Does that happen much in the NFL?

E: back to back games, specifically alternating home field

It happens on occasion. In 2009, 3 of the wild card games were rematches from week 17. Only one of them alternated home fields though.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Lessail posted:

Have there been any good books about football strategy and concepts for beginners/novices that has been released since the thread started? I'm looking for something to take my knowledge a bit further and reading TFF this past season has helped tremendously with that. I tried to read smartfootball.com but there was a lot of namedrops that made it difficult to find a starting point and work from there.
"Take Your Eye Off the Ball" by Pat Kirwan is really good at explaining why and how to get out of the television watching mindset of the game in order to see how strategies are developed. Quick read, lots of basics.

http://www.amazon.com/Take-Your-Eye-Off-Ball/dp/B0078XOX3C

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

A good write-up.

quote:

A punt returner has to create space. He does this by hesitating, changing direction, setting up blocks, and navigating through the coverage before he fully accelerates.

On the other side, a kick returner has to take space. He does this by finding a crease and accelerating through it. He accelerates once he's into the kick coverage (much like RB accelerates into the defense), rather than once he gets through it as a PR does. It's like the difference between executing an off tackle run (kick return) and executing a screen pass (punt return).

Kick returners don't set up their blocks like punt returners do. They simply follow them. It is much more scheme-oriented than punt returning. Blockers on KR have assigned targets whereas blockers on PR are more "seek and destroy." They go to a certain area of the field and attack the first threat. Often times, in the PR game, the idea is to simply get your body into the cover man's path, between him and the returner, and literally BLOCK him (a lot of big blocks on PR come when the blocker is standing still, but was able to get into the cover man's path while he's in transition... turning or changing direction to pursue the returner).

From a philosophical/strategic standpoint, PR is oriented much more toward deception and economy of force, whereas KR is very man-to-man and the execution of brute, overwhelming force (how else would you describe a 'wedge'?).

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

'Finding the Winning Edge' by Bill Walsh is supposedly amazing. Unfortunately it's OOP and used copies typically go for hundreds on eBay.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Yates posted:

The whole thing is on scribd.
Whoa. Thank you sir.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It's bandwagoners all the way down. Yankees, Knicks, and Rangers have dominant fan leads over the other respective city teams. Giants/Jets is probably 55/45 in the Giants favor due to recent success with a little family lineage sprinkled in.

I don't know too many people where those fandoms line up though. I'm a Jets/Knicks fan. A buddy is Yankees/Giants/Islanders.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CzarStark posted:

In a trade like the recent Logan Mankins one, how much say does the player have in the matter? Could he demand or refuse to be traded?
None. You can refuse to report like Richard Seymour did when he was traded to the Raiders, but eventually they realize they have no say in the matter and being paid is way more important.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

il serpente cosmico posted:

Seems like a sack should be considered negative passing yardage.
Then you'll love ANY/A, which Aaron Rodgers still dominates. It takes into account sack yardage.

Adjusted Net Yards per Attempt
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2014/passing.htm

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Monkey Man posted:

What's the biggest regular season loss by a team that went on to win the Super Bowl? I remember the 49ers losing to the Eagles 40-8 in 1994, would that be it?
2011 Giants lost 34-0 to the Falcons.

e: Actually I screwed up with 2011 season and 2012 Super Bowl. That was the year after.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

What the heck is that theme Around the NFL keeps using when they talk about the Patriots?
I don't know the exact accompaniment but it's the Throne of Ease music. Because everything is easy and joyful when you're a Pats fan.

• Locked thread