Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

OperaMouse posted:

What are these tiers (1, 2 and 3) of revenue that people in the NCAA Conference Apocalypse thread keep talking about? Particularly related to TV networks.

http://sponczarrules.com/?p=98

TIER-ONE MEDIA RIGHTS

Tier-one media rights are simply “national” rights to televise games. These agreements are between a conference (or in Notre Dame’s case, a school) and one of the four major television broadcast networks (ABC/ESPN, CBS, NBC or FOX). ABC/ESPN owns the rights for each major conference except the SEC (which is owned by CBS).

TIER-TWO MEDIA RIGHTS

Games networks decide not to broadcast nationally fall to tier-two media rights. Conferences usually negotiate these rights separately, most often with cable networks, since these games generally carry only regional interest in the states that represent the conference teams (hence why they weren’t selected for national coverage).

TIER-THREE MEDIA RIGHTS

Games not selected for coverage under tier-one and tier-two rights fall to “tier-three” coverage. Tier-three media rights belong to individual schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
He played for Vanderbilt and beat Tennessee. Both are unforgivable to me.

Yes, I dislike a lot of players these days.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Another reason is that there are very few players like Vick who can be a major threat passing or running.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
And now it's been explained that by default LT is Lawrence Taylor. New fans have learned something!

Edit: In case it comes up, "Joe Montana" is not a generic name for quarterbacks from the Midwest. He was a real person.

Edit 2: I guess Montana isn't really midwest so much as just west.

JesustheDarkLord fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 1, 2011

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Note that his last name is Clausen, not Claussen.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
We spent almost a decade at UT quarterbacked by various Clausens.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

swickles posted:

There is also this comeback, its high school football, but its several onside kicks recovered in a row to come back from 41-17 with 3 minutes left. Bonus: hilarious ending to video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkABO0VwCg

It is literally in the post before yours from 7.5 hours ago.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Tahm Bwady posted:

This is something I've wondered about for awhile and I just thought now to ask. Why do teams exchange late-round draft picks in the same round in a trade? It seems like it happens in almost every trade.

Sometimes it's Belichick loving around, but other times it's a way to tweak the value of a trade.

Player A for Player B is straightforward.

Player A for Player B plus 4th round pick is straightforward, but maybe that's a little too much and team B doesn't have a later round pick or team A isn't interested.

Player A plus 6th round pick for Player B plus 4th round pick doesn't cost either side a player for speculation, but it lets Team A get a little more for their player.

Basically, each pick has some monetary value and picking one spot earlier is worth X dollars. Trading picks lets you get down to a fair trade more precisely.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Jam posted:

When I had too much homework for football

I don't follow.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
You don't have to gently caress over the Titans.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Others have mentioned it but the formula doesn't just take wins into account. Strength of schedule plays a role, as does margin of victory (which is why the Alabamas of the world play those cupcakes in the first place, and why you'll never see starters come out of a game when it's already well in hand). That said if you didn't know they're moving to a 4-team playoff to determine the champ starting next year, which will hopefully satisfy more people (and lead to some really good games now that the best teams have to play one another).

Margin of Victory was removed from the BCS formula like a decade ago.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
He wasn't facing imminent pressure from the defense.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts were put in the AFC South so they would play the Titans twice each year, given the Peyton Manning following in Tennessee. It had to be a ratings boost.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I usually read it as "generic free agent player at that position."

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

SkunkDuster posted:

Wouldn't the tackles be ineligible and uncovered most any time there isn't a TE next to them?

A WR can cover them.

code:
X     OOOOO	X
  X	X  Y
	X

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I paid $4 each for Bengals-Jets preseason tickets last year and it was totally worth that, even with the drive to Cincinnati from Knoxville.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
He is probably in a zone covering the middle of the field in case the kicking team fakes the kick and passes the ball.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

gohuskies posted:

Every onside kick?

That one hits the ground immediately.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like Margus Hunt.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The short answer is yes so long as the running back doesn't cross the line of scrimmage, but the ineligible offensive players have to stay back until the pass.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Also please free BigHerm

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Deteriorata posted:

My question: Do refs have any rules or guidelines for making this kind of call, or is it just up to the refs on site to use their own judgment? I like understanding why refs call what they do.

Was the player black?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Steve McNair was pretty high pitched. I'll find a video and edit it in.

Update: I cannot find a video.

JesustheDarkLord fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Also, coaches probably don't look at star ratings as part of their evaluation. I mean, most probably do but they shouldnt.

• Locked thread