Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435761/

Pixar has struck gold for the eleventh time in a row with Toy Story 3; the conclusion to one of the most beloved animated stories of all time. TS3 takes us right into the world of a toy and its owner; showing us the inner workings of a child's imagination. Andy is a boy of seven or eight, and his treasured toys are his best friends. Cowboy Woody, spaceman Buzz Lightyear, sassy Jessie, Hamm, the Potato heads, Slinky, Rex, and so many more are happily tossed around while Andy acts out one wild adventure after the next. These are the happy times following the second film. Unfortunately for our lovable heroes they aren't to last.

TS3 takes place well after Andy's childhood. He's now a grown man on his way out into the world, and the toys he once loved are now nothing more than security blankets holding him back. He must choose to destroy them, store them in hopes of using them in the future, or drag them along to college. From there one of this series most enduring adventures unfolds.

It's hard to review this movie anywhere beyond that without spoiling everything because I just want to talk and talk about this film. I will say that the new characters are wonderful. I will say that this picture takes a far darker turn than you'd expect in a Toy Story film. I'll also say that I nearly burst into tears at least twice while watching this movie, and if you don't too then something's wrong with you.

Pros: A wonderful final adventure for the big screen toys many of us grew up with. Many wonderful new characters, and many heart touching moments.

Cons: A tad dark.

5 out of 5!

(P.S. gently caress you Ebert and Phillips! gently caress you both to hell!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day
Andy's all grown up, and moving off to college. What fate will befall our beloved toys? Tune in to find out.

It's hard to imagine how anyone could have arguments against Toy Story 3. It's cute, while also having substance. It ranges from dark to bright and sunny, but the writing never strains in going there.

It's even harder to give out details, because I just want to shake the reader and scream, "See this movie!". You could be any view from age 3 to 103 and still enjoy this movie, and yes I realize I'm scraping the bottom of the linguistic bucket there. The only requirement for having a good time with this movie is that you must have played with toys during your childhood to really relate to this film, but I don't think that's a very hard thing to come by.

5/5

I'm incredibly jaded as a moviegoer, but Toy Story 3 is just that good. Holy cow- it's that phone thing I used to have as a kid! They incldued that in the movie!? Awesome!

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Went in expecting a Shrek-esque experience (which wouldn't have been a bad thing) and was blown away by the great character developing in this movie. Even though Woody and Buzz are so well known by now, you come to love (or hate) the new cast just as much. I also enjoyed how surprisingly dark the movie could be for a children's film as it grappled with abandonment, resentment, and even death (!). Loved it.

5/5

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
I made the mistake of reading advance press for this movie. Honestly, if Toy Story 3 moves you to tears, seek professional help. Planned to see this flick anyways, but testaments to its tsunami-esque emotional power forced me to see it opening weekend. Never trust Dana Stevens at Slate.com when she writes, to paraphrase: "This movie flooded moisture to my vaginal canal!"

I mean, it's alright, but sort of a rote sequel. Most of the issues of identity and obsolecence are explored more sharply in Toy Story 2--and as an upshot, Ernest hadn't keeled over of lung cancer yet. From the ads, I got the impression this was yet another comeback vehicle for Michael Keaton--playing Ken. Keaton's ok (and still the best Batman) but his character is not as memorable as advertized. How can he be when each toy in the chest of dozens gets a mean 5 seconds of screentime?

We all have fuzzy memories of Pixar and their seemingly unending tide of films which bucked the Hollywood tropes and all that, but let's not forget that it's just another arm of the Disney conglomerate, and profitability takes priority. I read that there's a sequel of Cars coming out... what the gently caress? Expect The Incredibles 2 direct to DVD around 2015 or so.

If there's any moral to this tale, it's the route Andy takes--though it's a cloyingly sentimental path indeed. A tinge of guilt surrounds these peculiar nostalgia items, and this catalysizes in handing down of the toys to a precocious neighborhood girl. He's going off to college and all, and he can't play with toys if he wants to gently caress a college slut. Stubbornly, upon his introduction of the toys, does he step into his car and depart, a single tear still gleaming in his eye. Andy is the Audience, and it's time to go home now.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 27, 2010

^DrAgOn^
May 8, 2003

MoThErFuCkIn MiRaClEs
I rarely go to the cinema these days, but I am a sucker for 3d and even moreso Pixar movies (And who doesn't love these guys?).

The movie starts off with a fun yet familiar scene where Andy's toys are on thrilling escapades this soon ends and we see the progression of Andy from child to young adult ready to go off to college and he has to decide what to do with his old toys, perhaps as expected they end up accidentally being set on another wild adventure.

From there to around the middle of the film it's fun but the movie goes from good to great when Buzz and co find out their new predicament isn't all it's cracked up to be and then the real action starts.

Although many moments of Toy Story reminded me of the movie The Brave Little Toaster none did so much as the part near the end (Massive spoilers) where both films main characters ended up in the dump, the anthropomorphic cherished childhood items are then taken by grabber and put on a conveyor belt to their perceived doom , Toy Story 3 handled this part much better emotionally and is surprisingly sombre and dark for a movie aimed at youngsters but this is also the best part in the movie in my opinion, the only other criticism I have is the movie in parts covers the same ground as previous Toy Story movies such as yet another abandonment scene, while sad, is just another similar scene with a slightly different premise and outcome, the new characters however are equally as charming and full of personality as the old gang of toys were.

In the end the film was a traditional coming of age story filled with nostalgia for both the films child come college student Andy as well as the audience who wave goodbye to Pixars debut franchise for what looks to be the last time.

This movie has something for everyone who has once had beloved childhood toys and does justice to the Toy Story legacy, I'd recommend everyone go see it even if you are apprehensive about "seeing a kids movie", when I went to see the movie it had a wide range of movie patrons, all of which seemed to enjoyed it.
4/5

Some side notes: I really think the classification should be raised from U to PG here in the UK since some of the film themes might be a little too dark for sensitive under 8s, also I liked the Studio Ghibli cameo and the "Night and Day" short shown before the movie was really awesome. :)

^DrAgOn^ fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 28, 2010

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Toy Story 3 - Better than the first one, not as good as the second.

But still a fantastic film. When you consider that it's been eleven years since we last saw any of the characters, the ease in which you slip into familiarity with them is testament to just how good Pixar is at making movies. Nothing seems out of place, even the new voice for Slinky isn't really noticeable (although his role in the film is diminished, somewhat.)

I'm not sure where the hype about it being a 'sad' film is coming from though, there's only one bit that really tugs at the heartstrings and you'd have to be a complete emotional wreck to shed a tear at it. And I was moved by Wall-E, so i'm not a complete heartless bastard.

Great end to a superb trilogy.

4.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
5/5 - they've taken the characters quite possibly to the very brink of what they can do with them in this film. It's hard for me to say if this is better or worse than TS 1 or 2 because they're all excellent - you will want to see this and the other 2 movies for the same reason you want to see any landmark cinematic classic.