Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«179 »
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless you, ants. Blants.

Fun Shoe

gently caress CALs as a concept, and the tracking of CALs as a responsibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'll be on me best behavior!

Anyone good with Biztalk? I've installed a test environment as we're evaluating different ESBs and I'm running into a dumb error trying to deploy a solution from Visual Studio to Biztalk. This is the first time I touch Biztalk, so I'm basically fumbling in the dark.

I have Biztalk Server 2016 (developer ed) on one server, SQL Server 2014 (developer ed) on another server, and a tools server with Visual Studio Community 2015. They're all on the same subnet, so no firewalls between them.

The solution is just two file ports, two schemas and a transformation that just concatenates two fields from the receive port and puts it out on the send port.

The class ID referenced is the SSOConfigStore Class, and I've confirmed it's registered on all three servers.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

Tortured By Flan

Thanks Ants posted:

gently caress CALs as a concept, and the tracking of CALs as a responsibility.

Really should be concurrent seats, period.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Really should be concurrent seats, period.

They would never do something that would make less money....

Our EDI software which we run over remote desktop is licensed this way.

So we have 70 seats for that... But then need 120+ RDS User CALs to cover every user that connects to it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Floating licenses is the best, but also are typically expensive. I hate managing licenses.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless you, ants. Blants.

Fun Shoe

Is anybody testing Azure Files Sync?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Anyone have experience with Exchange on-prem to Exchange Online remote move migration? I inherited a migration project and I would like it to not go sideways. The hybrid connectors already setup and a couple people have been moved. My main question revolves around the actual "cutover" and "finalization" of the migration. More specifically at this time around the Dynamic distribution lists.

So we are moving from Exchange 2010 to Online. The technet article in regards to dynamic distribution lists here : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150422(v=exchg.141).aspx states

quote:

On the Filter tab, select The following specific types, and then click to select the Users with Exchange mailboxes and the Users with external e-mail addresses check boxes."

So options in the filter tab doesn't exist for us because it was created in powershell. Does anyone know a way around this? I was looking at the powershell commands for Exchange 2010 and it looks like this is might not be configurable through that (although it is configurable in the later versions of Exchange powershell cmdlets.) I guess a workaround is to just open up the distribution list to "non authenticated" users but there might be some concern although I doubt external users will find out/try sending to the list.

Secondly, I guess the best method would be to migrate everyone over, then re-create all the Dynamic distribution lists as regular mail enabled non dynamic distribution lists on prem, have it sync over to Exchange online, then have all users wipe their local cache (so they're not emailing the old dynamic distribution list through their cache.)

How would meeting rooms best be handled? Before or after? I was part of a migration in the past and I believe all the previous meeting schedules were essentially non changeable. Not sure if it was a gently caress up on the admin side or if this was just a result of migration.

Any advice or gotchas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

lol internet. fucked around with this message at Oct 8, 2017 around 20:40

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

Curious as well. We're about to secure a trial and do some playing around... weeks away from anything though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless you, ants. Blants.

Fun Shoe

I'm hoping that seeing as it preserves permissions that means we aren't far away from actual NTFS permissions working in Azure Files.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Secht posted:

Curious as well. We're about to secure a trial and do some playing around... weeks away from anything though.

Thats the same boat we're in.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Question for those doing Hyper-V clusters.

If you had 6 Hyper-V physical hosts, why would you create a 6 node cluster vs 3x2 node cluster?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

lol internet. posted:

If you had 6 Hyper-V physical hosts, why would you create a 6 node cluster vs 3x2 node cluster?

depends on what you plan to put on them. you might consider a 4 node and a 2 node if for instance you want to license the 2 node at the physical level for SQL but don't want to license all 6 or something like that.

Are you doing Hyper-Converged, SAN or Scale out FS for the storage backend?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol internet. posted:

With a single large cluster, you're reserving the resources of one host to maintain operations in a single host failure. If you make that in to two clusters, two hosts worth of resources needs to be reserved, doubling overhead. If they're all using either the same shared storage array or some kind of vSAN I would say you're better off with the single cluster and using some old hardware around for dev to test upgrades. If you have two different storage arrays to drive each cluster, then split them up.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

edit: also id embrace my red text with the pride is deserves.

Do people still use dumpsec for file permission reports or is there something better out there now? PowerShell?

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

If you have money, SCCM. If you don't, PDQ.

One thousand times this. Old job used SCCM, current job was SMS then went to LANDESK because of the cost. I still wish they would have spent the money on SCCM or just went with PDQ.

At one point, even one of the IT Directors had trialed PDQ long after having purchased/approved implementation of LANDESK and was impressed by how well it worked.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless you, ants. Blants.

Fun Shoe

Does anybody do much with Intune? There's two methods for configuring certain features:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...management-yes/

But no real explanation given as to what is 'better', or what the implications of configuring through CSPs as opposed to the UI options is.

Does anybody know?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Anyone have any experience with BinaryTree's software offering for domain/e-mail migrations? We're looking into it and it looks very promising, but I'd love to hear some input from customers.

This would be used for ongoing domain collapses and migrations as part of acquisitions, which seems to be their wheelhouse.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Anyone have any experience with BinaryTree's software offering for domain/e-mail migrations? We're looking into it and it looks very promising, but I'd love to hear some input from customers.

This would be used for ongoing domain collapses and migrations as part of acquisitions, which seems to be their wheelhouse.

We used SmartMigrator on a 4500 user un-trusted AD migration (Company A sold a division to Competitor B, we got to do the Mail and AD migration). It works pretty darn well. But the UI is horrid, group sync is painfully slow and they don;t really provide for any automation hooks into the product. We were able to reverse engineer a few things to plug it into our pre-existing framework for migrations but we have requests in for them to build out some PowerShell capabilities. It didn't handle the O365 Tenant to Tenant part of the ad migration very well (we used BitTitan to actually migrate the mailboxes) but they have made improvements there.

Any specific scenarios/questions you're interested in?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless you, ants. Blants.

Fun Shoe

Tenant-to-tenant migrations are horrible in every way, I remain hopeful that Microsoft address the underlying need for them to even happen and can work on some sort of temporary federation with mailbox move for instances where companies merge/split and are both using Office 365.

Sickening
Jul 15, 2007

Black Summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

Tenant-to-tenant migrations are horrible in every way, I remain hopeful that Microsoft address the underlying need for them to even happen and can work on some sort of temporary federation with mailbox move for instances where companies merge/split and are both using Office 365.

There is one in my future. Why are they so poo poo?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless you, ants. Blants.

Fun Shoe

I'd *almost* rather hybrid it and move all the mailboxes out, federate the directories, move the poo poo over, and then hybrid it all back in again.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
"It has gunfights and shit!"

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Hell, all we did was change our company name. Microsoft said it would cost no less then $40,000 to change our name in Office365/SharePoint with the level of oversight that there wouldn't be production stopping bugs afterwards, 20k for the proprietary tool to do it and 20k for the labor. To this day we use the new name for emails, but still use @OldCompanyName.com for O365 sign-ins and SSO.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

Bless you, ants. Blants.

Fun Shoe

You can change your domains as much as you want, but you can never change your .onmicrosoft.com domain, which is used in SharePoint and seen if you share OneDrive files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Be sure to read the fine print, they will absolutely not give you an inch more than what is on the scope. Don't forget to include anything in the scope if you're paying for their services. I only have experience with the lotus notes to exchange on prem product and it was good even though it had a lot of "ifs"

«179 »