Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress CALs as a concept, and the tracking of CALs as a responsibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Anyone good with Biztalk? I've installed a test environment as we're evaluating different ESBs and I'm running into a dumb error trying to deploy a solution from Visual Studio to Biztalk. This is the first time I touch Biztalk, so I'm basically fumbling in the dark. :v:

I have Biztalk Server 2016 (developer ed) on one server, SQL Server 2014 (developer ed) on another server, and a tools server with Visual Studio Community 2015. They're all on the same subnet, so no firewalls between them.

The solution is just two file ports, two schemas and a transformation that just concatenates two fields from the receive port and puts it out on the send port.

The class ID referenced is the SSOConfigStore Class, and I've confirmed it's registered on all three servers.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thanks Ants posted:

gently caress CALs as a concept, and the tracking of CALs as a responsibility.

Really should be concurrent seats, period.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Really should be concurrent seats, period.

They would never do something that would make less money....

Our EDI software which we run over remote desktop is licensed this way.

So we have 70 seats for that... But then need 120+ RDS User CALs to cover every user that connects to it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Floating licenses is the best, but also are typically expensive. I hate managing licenses.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is anybody testing Azure Files Sync?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Anyone have experience with Exchange on-prem to Exchange Online remote move migration? I inherited a migration project and I would like it to not go sideways. The hybrid connectors already setup and a couple people have been moved. My main question revolves around the actual "cutover" and "finalization" of the migration. More specifically at this time around the Dynamic distribution lists.

So we are moving from Exchange 2010 to Online. The technet article in regards to dynamic distribution lists here : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj150422(v=exchg.141).aspx states

quote:

On the Filter tab, select The following specific types, and then click to select the Users with Exchange mailboxes and the Users with external e-mail addresses check boxes."

So options in the filter tab doesn't exist for us because it was created in powershell. Does anyone know a way around this? I was looking at the powershell commands for Exchange 2010 and it looks like this is might not be configurable through that (although it is configurable in the later versions of Exchange powershell cmdlets.) I guess a workaround is to just open up the distribution list to "non authenticated" users but there might be some concern although I doubt external users will find out/try sending to the list.

Secondly, I guess the best method would be to migrate everyone over, then re-create all the Dynamic distribution lists as regular mail enabled non dynamic distribution lists on prem, have it sync over to Exchange online, then have all users wipe their local cache (so they're not emailing the old dynamic distribution list through their cache.)

How would meeting rooms best be handled? Before or after? I was part of a migration in the past and I believe all the previous meeting schedules were essentially non changeable. Not sure if it was a gently caress up on the admin side or if this was just a result of migration.

Any advice or gotchas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 8, 2017

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

Curious as well. We're about to secure a trial and do some playing around... weeks away from anything though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm hoping that seeing as it preserves permissions that means we aren't far away from actual NTFS permissions working in Azure Files.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Secht posted:

Curious as well. We're about to secure a trial and do some playing around... weeks away from anything though.

Thats the same boat we're in.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Question for those doing Hyper-V clusters.

If you had 6 Hyper-V physical hosts, why would you create a 6 node cluster vs 3x2 node cluster?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

lol internet. posted:

If you had 6 Hyper-V physical hosts, why would you create a 6 node cluster vs 3x2 node cluster?

depends on what you plan to put on them. you might consider a 4 node and a 2 node if for instance you want to license the 2 node at the physical level for SQL but don't want to license all 6 or something like that.

Are you doing Hyper-Converged, SAN or Scale out FS for the storage backend?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol internet. posted:

With a single large cluster, you're reserving the resources of one host to maintain operations in a single host failure. If you make that in to two clusters, two hosts worth of resources needs to be reserved, doubling overhead. If they're all using either the same shared storage array or some kind of vSAN I would say you're better off with the single cluster and using some old hardware around for dev to test upgrades. If you have two different storage arrays to drive each cluster, then split them up.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Do people still use dumpsec for file permission reports or is there something better out there now? PowerShell?

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

If you have money, SCCM. If you don't, PDQ.

One thousand times this. Old job used SCCM, current job was SMS then went to LANDESK because of the cost. I still wish they would have spent the money on SCCM or just went with PDQ.

At one point, even one of the IT Directors had trialed PDQ long after having purchased/approved implementation of LANDESK and was impressed by how well it worked.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does anybody do much with Intune? There's two methods for configuring certain features:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/cbernier/2017/07/11/windows-10-intune-windows-bitlocker-management-yes/

But no real explanation given as to what is 'better', or what the implications of configuring through CSPs as opposed to the UI options is.

Does anybody know?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Anyone have any experience with BinaryTree's software offering for domain/e-mail migrations? We're looking into it and it looks very promising, but I'd love to hear some input from customers.

This would be used for ongoing domain collapses and migrations as part of acquisitions, which seems to be their wheelhouse.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Anyone have any experience with BinaryTree's software offering for domain/e-mail migrations? We're looking into it and it looks very promising, but I'd love to hear some input from customers.

This would be used for ongoing domain collapses and migrations as part of acquisitions, which seems to be their wheelhouse.

We used SmartMigrator on a 4500 user un-trusted AD migration (Company A sold a division to Competitor B, we got to do the Mail and AD migration). It works pretty darn well. But the UI is horrid, group sync is painfully slow and they don;t really provide for any automation hooks into the product. We were able to reverse engineer a few things to plug it into our pre-existing framework for migrations but we have requests in for them to build out some PowerShell capabilities. It didn't handle the O365 Tenant to Tenant part of the ad migration very well (we used BitTitan to actually migrate the mailboxes) but they have made improvements there.

Any specific scenarios/questions you're interested in?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tenant-to-tenant migrations are horrible in every way, I remain hopeful that Microsoft address the underlying need for them to even happen and can work on some sort of temporary federation with mailbox move for instances where companies merge/split and are both using Office 365.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

Tenant-to-tenant migrations are horrible in every way, I remain hopeful that Microsoft address the underlying need for them to even happen and can work on some sort of temporary federation with mailbox move for instances where companies merge/split and are both using Office 365.

There is one in my future. Why are they so poo poo?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd *almost* rather hybrid it and move all the mailboxes out, federate the directories, move the poo poo over, and then hybrid it all back in again.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Hell, all we did was change our company name. Microsoft said it would cost no less then $40,000 to change our name in Office365/SharePoint with the level of oversight that there wouldn't be production stopping bugs afterwards, 20k for the proprietary tool to do it and 20k for the labor. To this day we use the new name for emails, but still use @OldCompanyName.com for O365 sign-ins and SSO.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can change your domains as much as you want, but you can never change your .onmicrosoft.com domain, which is used in SharePoint and seen if you share OneDrive files.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Be sure to read the fine print, they will absolutely not give you an inch more than what is on the scope. Don't forget to include anything in the scope if you're paying for their services. I only have experience with the lotus notes to exchange on prem product and it was good even though it had a lot of "ifs"

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Does Microsoft LDS/ADAM support ldapv3 persistent search? I know direct to domain controllers does, but I'm not seeing the OID listed under the supportedControl attribute for RootDSE.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Zero VGS posted:

Hell, all we did was change our company name. Microsoft said it would cost no less then $40,000 to change our name in Office365/SharePoint with the level of oversight that there wouldn't be production stopping bugs afterwards, 20k for the proprietary tool to do it and 20k for the labor. To this day we use the new name for emails, but still use @OldCompanyName.com for O365 sign-ins and SSO.

You could always buy the tool and do the work yourself.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Question,

For all my fellow “Wintel” System Administrators. How’s the job market treating you these days?

I’m having a hell of a time finding anything that isn’t asking for some crazy DevOps guru.

I’ve got a strong background with general Windows with AD. Throw in Hyper-V or VMware along with the networking, storage and hardware skills. Most of the O365 Suite (I have thought about teaching myself ExO) with Azure and I can do it all in Powershell.

Is it supposed to be this hard?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Tab8715 posted:

Question,

For all my fellow “Wintel” System Administrators. How’s the job market treating you these days?

I’m having a hell of a time finding anything that isn’t asking for some crazy DevOps guru.

I’ve got a strong background with general Windows with AD. Throw in Hyper-V or VMware along with the networking, storage and hardware skills. Most of the O365 Suite (I have thought about teaching myself ExO) with Azure and I can do it all in Powershell.

Everything seems to be moving in that DevOps direction. Be able to code or die.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Barf.

As a Windows guy I feel like the next best bet is to teach myself IIS and MS SQL to only port over workloads to Azure Websites and Azure SQL.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tab8715 posted:

Barf.

As a Windows guy I feel like the next best bet is to teach myself IIS and MS SQL to only port over workloads to Azure Websites and Azure SQL.
For that second one, check this out https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssma/sql-server-migration-assistant

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Completely agree with this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Walked posted:

Completely agree with this.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Question,

Depends on where you live. In the VA/DC/MD area I get bombarded with Windows Help Desk/Admin/Engineer job openings every day. Granted, they're all government contract positions which I'm avoiding, but the positions still exists.

Either way you need to keep your skills sharp to meet changing demand. So...

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

I'm still at a loss of where to start, exactly. It all seems a little overwhelming.

Do I start with picking a language and coding?

Do I start with tools like Packer/Terraform and understand their utilization in in cloud deployments?

Etc. and so on. The paradigm shift coming from traditional imaging and admin work is huge, and there's no crossover between the two beyond maybe some powershell.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I'm still at a loss of where to start, exactly. It all seems a little overwhelming.

Do I start with tools like Packer/Terraform and understand their utilization in in cloud deployments?

Etc. and so on. The paradigm shift coming from traditional imaging and admin work is huge, and there's no crossover between the two beyond maybe some powershell.

I am in the same boat, my assumption is start by learning a language (I'm rolling python since it's popular and somewhat easy, especially if you've coded/scripted before) so you at least have a grasp on it, then jump into doing stuff on AWS/wherever. It was Methanar that posted a good write-up in the Working in IT thread, I don't have it up since I'm at work, but I've got the post saved at home if you can't find it, it's likely within his last 10-15 posts in that thread.

Because I'm retarded and forget how to link to specific posts:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653857&userid=204963&perpage=40&pagenumber=13

content of said post from Methanar posted:

What do you want to do?

I know that's a hard question to answer in the very beginning when you're not even entirely sure what the hype behind a particular technology is. I know nothing about your work environment or what your workloads are.

The power of containers is the automation tooling surrounding them. A plain old docker file running somewhere doing something being handled by systemd or whatever is actually pretty boring. I guess you might be able to make things a bit quicker by pulling down an haproxy container file from a public repo or whatever, but that's not the point.

Containers are great because they are the perfect primitive for building upon. What can be built ontop of containers? Immutable infrastructures, applications that can be deployed with all of their dependencies bundled with them, intelligent automatic resource scheduling, CI/CD pipelines, blue/green deployments off the top of my head.

The reality is if you're the kind of windows admin that I was, the value isn't there for you. Whatever it was that I did at previous jobs had literally zero use whatsoever for any of the concepts I just named. But maybe you're not the kind of windows I was, or you don't want to be. If you don't know what you want out of containers, or more importantly, the larger superset that containers are part of, other than that you want them; that is is perfectly okay.

A good place to start is to just make an account with either Google Compute platform or AWS. I'm actually going to recommend GCP here. I've been spending an awful lot of time recently immersed in GCP and it's very approachable compared to AWS. Kubernetes is also a Google product and thus is as first class citizen in GCP.

Great, you've made your account and are ready to start. Here is where that hard question comes in, what do you want to do. You're entering here ~Devops~ territory. You're not a windows admin anymore working with pre-packaged applications that are built for you. In Devops land being familiar and comfortable with software development is now an unavoidable necessity because delivering software that your organization produces is the point. So, naturally I guess the first thing to do is write a hello world micro-service application in the language of your choice. Golang, nodejs, python, ruby. Pick one and follow a guide on the internet.

Your hello world application can be simple, but use many pieces. Find a guide that involves multiple external components, maybe Redis or MySQL. Say ultimately you get 5 pieces to your new micro-service oriented distributed system. A front end, a piece dedicated to db access, something in the background that handled logging, maybe an internal request router, maybe something that procedurally generates a bitmap image, a message bus, redis and your DB daemon. Now, it's time to publish your application to the world. Each micro service is self contained and stateless which means they are a perfect fit for being in a container!

But wait, writing and developing code is hard. The code you write sucks and is actually full of bugs. What a perfect time to set up a CI/CD pipeline to make your software developer lives easier. Like any good developer you've been using Git as your version control system. Why not build a Jenkins server, in a container naturally https://hub.docker.com/r/jenkins/jenkins/, that will automatically build, compile and test your code for you every time you commit a branch? Jenkins can spawn MORE containers where your code will be built and be ran against synthetic tests you write to be sure you haven't introduced regressions. https://techbeacon.com/beginners-gu...ipeline-jenkins

Finally: you have a sane build system like any good developer, your code is bug free and ready for the world. Maybe you start off pushing the containers produced by Jenkins to your VMs by hand, because hey, theres only like 7 of them right? But you continue to grow and your app is pretty popular. It's starting to get hard and expensive to provision all the necessary machines you need to power your bitmap generator. You notice that your application has clearly defined times of the week of peak traffic. Wouldn't it be great if you could size the amount of compute resources you were buying from Google according to your real time traffic load? Enter: Kubernetes.

Kubernetes is a Big Deal. It's actually the technology that is underlying Google's Container Engine that's been open sourced.
Kubernetes, is a system for managing containerized applications across a cluster of nodes. Explicitly designed to address the disconnect between the way that modern, distributed systems are designed and the underlying physical infrastructure. Applications comprised of different services should still be managed as a single application (when it makes sense). Kubernetes provides a layer over the infrastructure to allow for this type of management. Scaling traffic up and down according to load. Logically grouping containers together, software defined networking and so much more are now possible.

Logically grouping containers together: maybe it just always makes sense for your bitmap generated to have 4 micro-services in running on the same host to minimize InterProcess Communication (IPC) latency. Kubernetes can do that. Maybe you always want X amount of microservices running on different underlying hardware to be resilient to datacenter mishaps. Kubernetes can do that. Since Kubernetes is now infront of your apps providing load balancing services, you can do things like blue/green deployments. Lets say parts of your application are stateful, how do you deploy new code? How about just building an entire new parallel environment that you send new users to while the existing stateful sessions just naturally drain off of the old environment. How about running as many versions of the code you write at once?

Containers are the fundamental unit making up larger systems. This is why saying you want to do containers or devops is meaningless. Because it's not something you apt-get install or curl | bash. Devops is to technology-focused companies as the scientific method was to chemists.

This is why containers and the Devops concept/mentality/paradigm/thing is useless to the kind of internal IT windows admin that I was. We didn't write code, we didn't open source software that we were empowered to orchestrate. Running large distributed systems was not our business. If you want to 'get in on this container thing' you need to evaluate what you're doing with it. Maybe you're not satisfied with being an internal windows admin anymore and thats why you're interested. Excellent! The new world of online services is big and scary, but it's here, and more accessible than ever. Join a mailing list! Go to the Kubernetes github and open every link in a tab and read it all! Write your hello world app! Learn to program! (I've got another huge rant about 'learn to program') Read my posts!

MF_James fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 31, 2017

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
edit: ^^^Or follow the better DevOps advice here^^^

Its like any first step in IT - Pick a platform first. I was "lucky" in the fact that it was picked for me. My company decided they want at least 95% of our server and service infrastructure in Azure by the end of 2018 so I'm learning Azure. PowerShell is still king up there so if you have a strong understanding of how to script with it, that might be a good place to start. Understanding the basic concepts of how to work and automate in THE CLOUD is more important then the specific language (at least in my opinion). My only gripe with Azure is they don't make it easy to lab it out on your own without paying out of pocket.

If you're interested in Azure, I've found Microsoft's Ignite YouTube channel to be pretty helpful.

Traditional imaging still has a place in most organizations for the time being. Intune and Auto Pilot is cool and all but they're still missing the kind of customization you need in larger businesses that can't replace SCCM/MDT just yet. I will be happy as gently caress the day that I can offload my SCCM services off to the cloud in an affordable way but its not there yet.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sacred Cow posted:

Understanding the basic concepts of how to work and automate in THE CLOUD is more important then the specific language (at least in my opinion).

Yeah. The core concepts, infrastructure as code, automation, containerization, micro-services, CI/CD, etc. apply to all of the platforms, and if you understand those you shouldn't have a problem adapting to whatever platform you need.

quote:

My only gripe with Azure is they don't make it easy to lab it out on your own without paying out of pocket.

Azure recently modified their trial to be one-year long, and include 750 hours of compute per month. Which puts it on par with AWS.

edit: Methanar's devops post is a++ content,

The Fool fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 31, 2017

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
MSDN gets $150/month and theres a free developer one which is $50/month.

To be honest, don't provision crazy high spec'd VMs and you'd be surprised how long the credits can last. Turn it off when not in use.

SSD = auto 100/month. Stick to 2 cores.

On another note. Has anyone used IPAM 2016? DHCP leases aren't showing for some of the scopes I've imported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tab8715 posted:

“Wintel” System Administrators.

Round out your skills, because you should have by now. Know a handful of network/firewall and some hypervisor/storage.

I've been around for a decade or so, the era of the silo job is done.