Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Sickening posted:

Lets assume nobody at Microsoft is working on group policy anymore. That seems more likely.

Given the quality of updates and everything else coming out of MS lately, I'd almost say there is no one working at MS anymore. Except for maybe a bunch of outsourced agents looking up things on Bing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anyone notice any issues with Windows 7 updates released this past Tuesday?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Not sure what all the heartache about SCCM and 2008 R2 is all about. Even if you need to move your primary/central administration site to 2012 R2/2016, it's pretty easy.

Backup the site DB.
Backup anything pertinent on the SCCM server itself (DP content, etc.) that you care about. If you were smart you'll have this on an independent VM disk that you can move around.
Turn off the server.
Reset computer AD account.
Spin up new server revision, attach to domain using old SCCM server's name.
Install SCCM using restored DB.
Fix any DP pathing issues.

Done.

Do the same for any secondary sites and do a recovery. You might have some issues if bandwidth is a problem and you can't just resync the content, but there are a few ways you can backup that content via flatfile. Do some Googling, I haven't had to do it in a long time.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The process for doing a "site restore" always seem a little vague to me, especially since there's no good way to test them (site server name has to match) and it feels like it would be difficult to back out of if something went wrong.

A month or so ago I had an engagement with a PFE and the recommendation was to setup a new site and do a site migration, rather than the site restore method. A side-by-side migration also gives us the opportunity to clean up five years of file and process cruft (and we have a lot of cruft).

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
A site restore is just an install with a DB restore step appended rather than starting from scratch. It's an oversimplification, but that's essentially what it's doing.

Why you'd ever want to stand up something side-by-side and do a migration is beyond me since you need to do all of the active directory integration and container security all over again for the new site system. Sounds like a pain in the rear end for no real gain. Just clean up your existing setup, imo. Less painful AND there's less of a chance of the implementer loving something up when using ADSIEdit to modify AD security for the accounts/computer object.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
AD integration is easy though? It's permissions on one container in ADSIEdit.

And for a site restore don't both the DB and site server need to have the same exact name?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

AD integration is easy though? It's permissions on one container in ADSIEdit.

And for a site restore don't both the DB and site server need to have the same exact name?

Best practices is for the Site Server and Database Server to be the same, so it shouldn't really be an issue. You can always "fall back" easily enough assuming your old server is still available by resetting the AD Computer account again, turning the old server on again, then synching the machine passwords. If you run through the process I mentioned you won't have any problems with name mismatches because the SSID will be identical when the object associates itself with the new server.

And yeah, AD Integration is easy. It's also the thing I've seen multiple people gently caress up the most. It can also be cumbersome when you have multiple domains.

I just updated our infrastructure (Primary site server plus a bunch of secondary sites) to 1702. Zero issues. Easiest time I've had with an upgrade.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 13, 2017

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

How are any of you guys dealing with the various Windows 10 builds, assuming you're on the CBB chain? Do you have a regimented schedule for how old the build needs to be and you just automatically push it out to pilot groups, then prod?

Just curious as to differing perspectives. I'm having a tough time getting management to buy into the idea that the OS rate of change on desktops is enormous compared to the XP/7 days, and MS is very much pushing enterprises in the direction of automatic upgrades via SCCM. We have some time to kill considering that we're on build 1607, but I'm trying to get ahead of this as much as possible. I don't see it being easy to get management buy-in on any kind of set schedule, but I'm going to try.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
The fact that security updates will stop if you don't at least deploy every other build should get you a bit of a foothold.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

How are any of you guys dealing with the various Windows 10 builds, assuming you're on the CBB chain? Do you have a regimented schedule for how old the build needs to be and you just automatically push it out to pilot groups, then prod?

Just curious as to differing perspectives. I'm having a tough time getting management to buy into the idea that the OS rate of change on desktops is enormous compared to the XP/7 days, and MS is very much pushing enterprises in the direction of automatic upgrades via SCCM. We have some time to kill considering that we're on build 1607, but I'm trying to get ahead of this as much as possible. I don't see it being easy to get management buy-in on any kind of set schedule, but I'm going to try.

We updated to 1607 immediately because we needed Windows Store for Business, and we'll probably update to 1703 as soon as it's out on the VLSC too since we need the DPI scaling feature for one application. So as long as there is something we need from a new version there's no problem getting that authorized. I only want a single build on our network so if one PC updates, all of them do.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a way to get a 3rd party DHCP server to register clients in Windows DNS?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Is SharePoint the biggest piece of trash of all time? I love how the 2013 Enterprise PerformancePoint dashboards are just a bunch of cells plopped down in a loving SharePoint arrangement and they deprecated the loving charts.

Anyone know if it's worthwhile to get SQL analysis services running rather than using the tabular SQL tables and using PerformacePoint to drive the results? I'm not crossing my fingers cause it seems like 99% of this stuff is esoteric as gently caress.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

milk milk lemonade posted:

Is SharePoint the biggest piece of trash of all time? I love how the 2013 Enterprise PerformancePoint dashboards are just a bunch of cells plopped down in a loving SharePoint arrangement and they deprecated the loving charts.

Anyone know if it's worthwhile to get SQL analysis services running rather than using the tabular SQL tables and using PerformacePoint to drive the results? I'm not crossing my fingers cause it seems like 99% of this stuff is esoteric as gently caress.

Not really my wheelhouse but I think they're trying to drive all of this poo poo into PowerBI.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't understand why so much new functionality in Office 365 is built on top of SharePoint when it seems like complete garbage - document libraries, Groups, Planner, whatever their new to-do list thing is.

Presumably all this stuff is going to need to have SharePoint ripped out from under it at some point?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Oh for sure. Not too happy I'm working with on-prem SharePoint which I already don't like. Thought it was just going to be a teaching engagement and I've wound up having to raze the old farm and start anew. Then it's like hey I want dashboards and stupidly I said 'well hell, SharePoint hooks right into SQL!'

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

milk milk lemonade posted:

Oh for sure. Not too happy I'm working with on-prem SharePoint which I already don't like. Thought it was just going to be a teaching engagement and I've wound up having to raze the old farm and start anew. Then it's like hey I want dashboards and stupidly I said 'well hell, SharePoint hooks right into SQL!'

if it makes you feel any better we're trying to migrate Sharepoint 2007 to 2013 right now.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We'll be taking an on-prem 2013 to O365 sharepoint within the next few months.

The expectation set with the business is that they get the generic sharepoint site with the logo, and they're responsible for migrating content. And best of all I'm not involved at all.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Anybody here seen this problem where the SCCM OSD Task Sequence says "gently caress you dude, I'm not installing Config Manager" right after install drivers?

ed: network drivers install correctly, and boots into Windows fine, just with none of the poo poo I need on it

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 4, 2017

orange sky
May 7, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Anybody here seen this problem where the SCCM OSD Task Sequence says "gently caress you dude, I'm not installing Config Manager" right after install drivers?

ed: network drivers install correctly, and boots into Windows fine, just with none of the poo poo I need on it

Did you create a new agent package or are you using the one SCCM provides?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

orange sky posted:

Did you create a new agent package or are you using the one SCCM provides?

Using the one sccm provides

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

Using the one sccm provides

Uninstall the SCCM Client from some random machine in the environment and delete the CCMSetup and CCM folders from C:\Windows.

See if the client push install happens per normal (assuming you have it turned on to run automatically). If it doesn't work you likely have an issue with the client package and will need to recreate. Did you update recently? And did you verify that the task sequence is actually pointed to the correct client version? I've seen instances where SCCM will not clean up the old version of the client package after an upgrade; if you attempt to perform OSD with an updated boot.wim with all the config management pieces added in but the task sequence tries to install an older version of the client it will fail every time.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Anyone familiar with Flexera AdminStudio? I build all of our MSIs and installer packages manually, but I'm curious how well this product works, especially with the hefty pricetag it carries.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Anyone familiar with Flexera AdminStudio? I build all of our MSIs and installer packages manually, but I'm curious how well this product works, especially with the hefty pricetag it carries.

There are far better cheaper and better MSI packagers that are tailored to the administrator

http://www.advancedinstaller.com is a easy to use alternative that i've used that works well.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Uninstall the SCCM Client from some random machine in the environment and delete the CCMSetup and CCM folders from C:\Windows.

See if the client push install happens per normal (assuming you have it turned on to run automatically). If it doesn't work you likely have an issue with the client package and will need to recreate. Did you update recently? And did you verify that the task sequence is actually pointed to the correct client version? I've seen instances where SCCM will not clean up the old version of the client package after an upgrade; if you attempt to perform OSD with an updated boot.wim with all the config management pieces added in but the task sequence tries to install an older version of the client it will fail every time.

Turned out to be a hosed up wim.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm currently job hunting and I'm looking to bone up on my ActiveDirectory, Exchange and Windows Server skills. I'm thinking about setting up a Virtual Machine on my PC running Win Server 2012 and setting up a virtual network, installing AD/Exchange/etc and just screwing around with it. Is this the simplest route? I thought about doing the same thing in AWS or Azure or w/e but I think running on my own hardware would be cheaper. Can anyone recommend a good guide for doing this?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have a look at:

https://www.microsoft.com/handsonlabs

https://info.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2016VirtualLabs.html

https://mva.microsoft.com/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/offers/ms-azr-0044p/

Azure offers a 1-month $200 credit. If you stop your instances when you're not using them you can do a lot with that.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

These look really cool and useful but I keep trying to log in and I get an internal server error.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

SnatchRabbit posted:

These look really cool and useful but I keep trying to log in and I get an internal server error.

That's your first test!

And hey, at least it's not hosted on HP's support site, man is that thing garbage.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Gerdalti posted:

That's your first test!

And hey, at least it's not hosted on HP's support site, man is that thing garbage.

Well I must have failed because I'm getting nowhere trying to open these. Any hints?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SnatchRabbit posted:

Well I must have failed because I'm getting nowhere trying to open these. Any hints?
Part of this test is to describe how you are arriving at the error you are experiencing.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

anthonypants posted:

Part of this test is to describe how you are arriving at the error you are experiencing.

I clicked on the Server 2012 R2 configuring and managing servers lab. I try to log in and get "Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request." I tried multiple browsers, Chrome, Edge, IE, Firefox on two different computers. Always the same error. Also made sure I had RDP installed according to some googling.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've just clicked through and that lab loaded fine.

Their support is https://learnondemand.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I was able to get in, and using Chrome. If it's happening on multiple devices maybe you're using some mitm adblocker?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I just got it to work with a new MS account. Guess my old hotmail account was borked.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does anybody running Intune know how you are meant to enrol a Windows 10 device that is Azure AD joined, but has only had an Intune license and group membership added recently? Do I need to remove the device from AAD and then add it again to kick the enrolment, or is there a way to do it manually? Or do I just wait and it sorts itself out?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Does anybody running Intune know how you are meant to enrol a Windows 10 device that is Azure AD joined, but has only had an Intune license and group membership added recently? Do I need to remove the device from AAD and then add it again to kick the enrolment, or is there a way to do it manually? Or do I just wait and it sorts itself out?

Are you doing it in the old or the new portal? Tenants are being migrated, most should be in new portal by now. I'm asking because if you're doing it in the old portal do it in the new, it's working better even though it's in preview and it has more stuff (including sweet, sweet conditional access, that poo poo is bonkers)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

New portal, new DNS CNAME (the one with -s at the end). I am testing it on my own laptop, which has been Azure AD joined for a few months, and I added an EM+S license earlier today and moved my user account into a group scoped for Intune management in Azure AD. My laptop isn't showing up as a managed device yet.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

New portal, new DNS CNAME (the one with -s at the end). I am testing it on my own laptop, which has been Azure AD joined for a few months, and I added an EM+S license earlier today and moved my user account into a group scoped for Intune management in Azure AD. My laptop isn't showing up as a managed device yet.

have you created a compliance policy and assigned it ?

I'd remove it from AAD and rejoin, should work once it downloads the policy again. Do you see a button in W10 to check compliance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Question about licensing: if I purchase a 2016 license for 16 cores and 2 processors, does that mean I can deploy 16 one-core VMs of 2016?