Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!
Anyone else testing 1803 yet? It seems to be reapplying the default user profile after upgrade and I'm wondering if it's just us or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've updated our image to 1803 and pushed it down to new PC's and also updated my PC, laptop, and a few coworkers with the media creation tool and haven't seen that.

It just put OneDrive back after I reghacked the default profile not to use it :mad:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Absolutely gently caress trying to do any sort of actual endpoint management using Intune. 99% of the "hey this would be neat" features involve doing it yourself in PowerShell.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Absolutely gently caress trying to do any sort of actual endpoint management using Intune. 99% of the "hey this would be neat" features involve doing it yourself in PowerShell.

They also claim that new features are going to Intune before System Center. But I would appreciate feature parity for alot more System Center features within Intune before they start working on new features again...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It just seems like a completely half-baked product. Their vision is that we can use AutoPilot, Azure AD Premium and Intune to have users take a new device out the box, login, and then run as a standard user but have the machine managed by Intune. But I've just had it confirmed that there's no way of deploying software that needs the installer to run as an administrator, which is what Group Policy from a decade ago could manage without difficulty. So in the best case scenario I still need to have a full AD infrastructure in place and if the endpoints are mobile I need to deploy Enterprise Windows to run DirectAccess to keep some sort of management in place when people aren't in an office.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Although I have done this a million times already, is there anyway to do bitlocker deployements that don't force rebooting? As in, Every deployment I have ever done has gone through a partion phase, reboot, then the rest of the deployment.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I seriously doubt it. Key escrow from TPM or password unlocking for a boot volume require fingerprinting from various hardware attributes by default and I suspect that even if you disable all that MS is still assuming it as part of the workflow.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

It just seems like a completely half-baked product. Their vision is that we can use AutoPilot, Azure AD Premium and Intune to have users take a new device out the box, login, and then run as a standard user but have the machine managed by Intune. But I've just had it confirmed that there's no way of deploying software that needs the installer to run as an administrator, which is what Group Policy from a decade ago could manage without difficulty. So in the best case scenario I still need to have a full AD infrastructure in place and if the endpoints are mobile I need to deploy Enterprise Windows to run DirectAccess to keep some sort of management in place when people aren't in an office.

If you pay for EM+S, and have the infrastructure to spare, i would look into System Center with Intune. It makes Intune much more usable.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Beefstorm posted:

If you pay for EM+S, and have the infrastructure to spare, i would look into System Center with Intune. It makes Intune much more usable.

Do you also find that to be true when you only want to manage iOS and Android? I find Intune portal much easier to use and faster to apply poo poo

E: also wouldn't having an SCCM server imply a domain? Can it just live by itself managing Intune in a workgroup?

orange sky fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 3, 2018

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

orange sky posted:

Do you also find that to be true when you only want to manage iOS and Android? I find Intune portal much easier to use and faster to apply poo poo

E: also wouldn't having an SCCM server imply an active domain? Can it just live by itself managing Intune in a workgroup?

Nope. Requires a domain. The things it manages have no such requirement, but the SCCM server itself has to be a domain member.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think the point of AutoPilot with a limited user account is if you're also kicking the machine through an Enterprise in-place upgrade and then into Active Directory (presumably with a VPN that then gets removed once GPO applies a DirectAccess policy.

I wish Microsoft would distil some of their Ignite presentations into written documentation (and then update them in line with the product) because their docs are reasonable at explaining what each feature does but they do a very poor job of explaining how everything stitches together. I accept it's sort of on me for just assuming that doing an AutoPilot Intune join as a standard user account would provide me with a managed endpoint that wasn't a paperweight but the documentation on this feature makes no mention that Intune needs the user to be running as a local admin for any of the LOB app deployment to actually work.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thanks Ants posted:

Over the air AD is at this point a commodity, have you actually tested any products out?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

There is not a single “over the air” directory service product that provides feature parity with “on-prem” active directory.

E: vvvv- :perfect:

The Fool fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 4, 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Potato Salad posted:

Over the air AD is at this point a commodity, have you actually tested any products out?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

DomainAnywhere/DirectAccess/whatever their branding their IPsec tunnel as this week is pretty much the way to go if you want clients to maintain full AD functionality while roaming.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Or go 3rd party with something like Zscaler. Time to deployment was hilariously fast, and we are ramping up deployment to replace our F5 for VPN. It works seamlessly once you’re off network, you just have to define per-application tunneling rules.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Does anyone have a handy link that explains how to configure a PowerShell Script to Run as a Scheduled Task in Server 2012, but entirely done with the command line/powershell? I can find the steps to run through the GUI but I need to automate everything with code. Thanks in advance.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SnatchRabbit posted:

Does anyone have a handy link that explains how to configure a PowerShell Script to Run as a Scheduled Task in Server 2012, but entirely done with the command line/powershell? I can find the steps to run through the GUI but I need to automate everything with code. Thanks in advance.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/scheduledtasks/new-scheduledtask?view=win10-ps

e: Alternatively, us a CI/CD tool of choice to orchestrate your powershell tasks from a central location.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 4, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Fool posted:

There is not a single “over the air” directory service product that provides feature parity with “on-prem” active directory.

E: vvvv- :perfect:

there is, it's ms ad

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

As far as I'm aware there's DirectAccess and the only alternative in the MS world is Azure AD join pushing devices into Intune, which has the limitations that I'm seeing at the moment.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

there is, it's ms ad

What the gently caress is ms ad?

Microsoft has AzureAD/AADDs/intune, and while that is a perfectly useable solution for some environments, it is not even close to having the same options as regular Active Directory.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yep it's Microsoft Active Directory

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Except that’s what I was already talking about?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

there's a good username

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Clever

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Anyone have experience with the AHV hypervisor in a large-scale environment? We're switching 100% towards it and moving away from VMware, but the maturity just doesn't seem to be there let alone integration for third party services and products.

Not my call, but I'd be happy to hear some takes from anyone actively using it in some capacity. Prism seems...ok, I guess. Anything is better than vSphere though from a usability perspective, so the bar isn't super high there.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Azure App Proxy works with Remote Desktop Gateway and the results are pretty spectacular. Learnt a lot today, it's easier than the documentation might lead you to believe.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this... but file access auditing.

I'm using lepide auditor, and one of my reports is a deleted files and folders report. The report shows files that were edited, I assume because 'editing' translates to deleting the old file and replacing it with the edited file.

I can't find anything on google about this. Do other auditing software suites handle this more cleverly somehow, or is it just a fact of life in auditing?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

DomainAnywhere/DirectAccess/whatever their branding their IPsec tunnel as this week is pretty much the way to go if you want clients to maintain full AD functionality while roaming.

This is only included with Enterprise, correct?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Thanks Ants posted:

Azure App Proxy works with Remote Desktop Gateway and the results are pretty spectacular. Learnt a lot today, it's easier than the documentation might lead you to believe.

Whoa, I never thought of this... hows the performance? Would this work with the new HTML5 RDP?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Moey posted:

This is only included with Enterprise, correct?
Yeah, or Windows 7 Ultimate.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Is there a customization wizard for the o365 installer like the msi installer ? I would like to set the default cache setting to like 6 months or a year.

It seems the gpo is a policy and it doesn't allow users to change the setting after it's set.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

lol internet. posted:

Is there a customization wizard for the o365 installer like the msi installer ? I would like to set the default cache setting to like 6 months or a year.

It seems the gpo is a policy and it doesn't allow users to change the setting after it's set.
Here are Office 365 deployment scripts, but which cache are you talking about?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Offline mail cache presumably. If you write it into the registry in the user hive as an “add” policy then can users edit themselves if they don’t like the default?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 10, 2018

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I think we can safely say what a shitshow this week.

1803 breaks fairly broken out the gate
GPOs for 1803 are broke
Server patches break RDP
Windows patches break network adapters
Windows patches break RDP

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Has anyone seen a newly added CNAME record resolve back as blank?

I just added 6 CNAME's and an A record to a Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controller, and only the A record actually comes back with a result.

The CNAMEs all come up like this:

```
> em3967.domain.com
Server: dc1.contoso.com
Address: 127.0.0.1

Name: em3967.domain.name

>
```

This happens even from the host I added it on, and these entries are showing as valid in DNS...

Haven't seen this before...

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Usually I think that means that whatever the CNAME points to can’t be resolved. Double check you can resolve the A record directly and you typed it correctly in the CNAME record?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Wicaeed posted:

Has anyone seen a newly added CNAME record resolve back as blank?

I just added 6 CNAME's and an A record to a Windows 2008 R2 Domain Controller, and only the A record actually comes back with a result.

The CNAMEs all come up like this:

```
> em3967.domain.com
Server: dc1.contoso.com
Address: 127.0.0.1

Name: em3967.domain.name

>
```

This happens even from the host I added it on, and these entries are showing as valid in DNS...

Haven't seen this before...

Put nslookup in debug mode and re-run the query. Should give you more verbose output.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:siren: Teams Direct Routing is in preview now :siren:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-Blog/Direct-Routing-NOW-in-Public-Preview/ba-p/193915

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Any idea what SBC pricing looks like?

Specifically, can I just buy something for $2-3k, some e5 licenses, hook up an sip trunk, and have this work?

The Fool fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 16, 2018