Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

portable s0n posted:

I have been churning through these e-learning videos and this product is still a whole new world compared to 6.9. Thinking of leaving 6.9 in production for a while until I can cover all my bases.

Can you link me those? I'm going from 6.8, and only using the deployment component at that. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Megiddo posted:

I've never used it, but there's also this:

http://unattended.sourceforge.net/

Man I totally forgot unattended existed. Does anyone know if there's plan for Win7 support? I've finally convinced the Powers that Be that we need to stop installing WinXP 32x on 64x machines (e.g. every single one we've gotten in the last 1.5 years).

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Philadelphia Sports: Classy and Sophisticated.

devmd01 posted:

Can you link me those? I'm going from 6.8, and only using the deployment component at that. :)

Same here, only using 6.9 SP4 here and have little experience on this as it is.

portable s0n
Jun 2, 2008

TheRife posted:

Same here, only using 6.9 SP4 here and have little experience on this as it is.

devmd01 posted:

These were purchased through the Symantec Education at http://education.symantec.com

Email me Vincent.Saporito AT gmail.com

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I'm not familiar with MDT, but I'd say keep your OS deployment separate from your software installation and updating. MDT and WPKG should work very well that way, each doing what they're best at.

I've been using WPKG for at least a year now for about 125 workstations and it works very well. The catch is that I'm using it on XP, and I've heard of some issues with Vista/7, mostly to do with people wanting to install updates on shutdown. Apparently Vista/7 doesn't allow any process to delay shutdown. If you're going to use it on VIsta/7, take a look at wpkg-gp too.

I use Clonezilla to load a base sysprepped image that prompts for PC name and joins the domain automatically. Then one batch file to set a few local group policies like pointing to the WSUS server, and another batch to install the WPKG Client and start the service. WPKG installs everything else with only one reboot for Office 2k3.

I used Unattended for a while but I'd recommend against it now. The current latest release is 4.8 from April 2009. In order to boot on recent hardware you have to get 4.9 RC4 from February 2010, and it's has a bug where you have to type in the kernel in the bootloader because someone messed it up when packaging. Development seems to be slow and small.

Take a look at WPKG if you can't afford SCCM. The wiki has ready to use stuff for all the popular applications, and it's not hard to configure new installers once you understand how WPKG works. I'm happy to answer any questions about it, and their mailing list is reasonably good too.

Is WPKG suitable to perform initial deployment on a blank OS image in such a way that I can guarantee the presence and availability of packages that need to be installed?

Looking over their wiki - am I correct in thinking that I should be able to run wpkg.js /synchronize at the end of my MDT deployment to install everything? I have two environments (one XP, one 7) that are created by installing the default OS image from the disc and then the applications, which right now is completely automated by MDT.

I also have a third environment that uses a customized Windows 7 image deployed over MDT and is protected by a Deep Freeze-like program. I suppose there that I could periodically unprotect machines, update, and reprotect.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

bear shark posted:

Is WPKG suitable to perform initial deployment on a blank OS image in such a way that I can guarantee the presence and availability of packages that need to be installed?

Looking over their wiki - am I correct in thinking that I should be able to run wpkg.js /synchronize at the end of my MDT deployment to install everything? I have two environments (one XP, one 7) that are created by installing the default OS image from the disc and then the applications, which right now is completely automated by MDT.

Yes, that should work fine but what about updates? Most of my experience is using WPKG Client which is just a service that runs wpkg.js as the SYSTEM user at start up, or when the service is restarted. Updates come out, I update my WPKG package definitions, test them, then copy them over to the live setup and everything gets updated the next time it starts or restarts. You can even remotely restart the WPKG service to force updates, but some updates kill running processes (like Firefox) to avoid problems.

If you really need to verify what is installed you can look at the wpkg.xml that gets written to the system32 directory. I actually have a "package" defined that is "installed" every time WPKG runs and it just copies the wpkg.xml file to a network share, renamed to computername.xml. Then I can run a script against all the XML files to generate a report on which machine has what software installed.

Keep in mind you'll have to decide how to want to define which machines get which software. WPKG has a package for each application, and those are grouped into profiles, and then profiles are assigned to hosts based on the Windows computer name. You can use some basic pattern matching for the hostnames, and one typical use is a catch-all default profile.

If you're running 64-bit on 7 then you'll probably need to adjust some of the package definitions to account for different locations and names of things like the Program Files folder. Some definitions have the conditional logic and some don't.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I feel really dumb posting this in this thread, but I also think I might get the most meaningful feedback from people probably a lot more experienced than myself.

I do IT work for a lot of small businesses, usually 5-20 users, usually running SBS 2003/2008. Most of the time, servers will be hosting just file shares, a database or two, web services, and exchange. Also most of the time, the servers will be in whatever office complex, with a really horribly "wired" "server" "closet" (I usually take over for someone much more inept than myself), with service either provided by a local ISP or the building's management, and so I manage the company's switch and router, modem etc.

anyways, in all my years (really only 5 or so) of doing this sort of thing, I've never had a client move offices. finally, that time has come, and I've been asked to support a company with a move.

the core, basic technical things involved with moving - updating DNS entries, changing firewall rules, spooling/reconfiguring e-mail filtering services, blah blah I think I'm pretty comfortable with - but I feel like I'm being naïve in thinking a 10 system office move will be as simple as backing up, unplugging, and labelling everything, hauling it across town, updating network configurations and letting 'er rip.

I guess what I'm looking for is SOP for larger, more professional organizations when they move house - or guidelines thereabouts. Despite being largely self taught and managing hopelessly small business setups, I like to be as professional and thorough as possible, when possible... how do you even learn how to properly do something like this without having done it under someone else's employ or fallen flat on your face already?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Stupid newbie question regarding KMS:

I understand that you start the KMS service with slmgr.vbs on a suitable server and this handles all the activation of clients with VLKs

What I am unclear about is how this service receives it authentication from MS. i.e. what is the process that happens that allows the KMS to issue activation info to its clients? How does the MS-side of things identify and authenticate this service as one that is allowed to activate clients?

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

spog posted:

Stupid newbie question regarding KMS:

I understand that you start the KMS service with slmgr.vbs on a suitable server and this handles all the activation of clients with VLKs

What I am unclear about is how this service receives it authentication from MS. i.e. what is the process that happens that allows the KMS to issue activation info to its clients? How does the MS-side of things identify and authenticate this service as one that is allowed to activate clients?

Ummm.... sort of?

You use your KMS key to activate Windows on the KMS server. That's it, KMS server complete. This is why I might pair my KMS server with say, WSUS or something of that nature.

You can use slmgr.vbs too add extra keys into the KMS server so that it can activate OSes other than Server 2008 R2. And if you have a properly configured DNS setup, you practically never actually have to run slmgr.vbs - it's all done automatically.

KMS off the top of my head contacts MS over the net. My memory is hazy on that TBH you should check the Technet article for KMS.

Edit: Here's an OK vid: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/dd936199.aspx

Also no VLKs, you need to use these keys: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793406.aspx

But again if you've got a properly connected environment, you won't even need to enter the key, it'll grab the key and activate itself from the KMS server.

Muslim Wookie fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 12, 2011

spog
Aug 7, 2004

marketingman posted:

You use your KMS key to activate Windows on the KMS server. That's it, KMS server complete.

You can use slmgr.vbs too add extra keys into the KMS server so that it can activate OSes other than Server 2008 R2. And if you have a properly configured DNS setup, you practically never actually have to run slmgr.vbs - it's all done automatically.

But again if you've got a properly connected environment, you won't even need to enter the key, it'll grab the key and activate itself from the KMS server.

Ah, I get it.

So, you have a KMS key (that presumably was supplied on the paperwork when you signed up for Volume Licensing) and you have to manually install that key on the KMS Host using slmgr. That allows MS to activate the KMS host via the net and gives it the authority to activate n number of clients.

When you start up a Enterprise version of Win7, it already has the generic KMS Client keys built in and it activates automagically through the srv in DNS

With the KMS service, you can only configure the port number it uses - but not much else except add other OS/editions to the list that it supports.

Is that all correct?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

So, you have a KMS key (that presumably was supplied on the paperwork when you signed up for Volume Licensing) and you have to manually install that key on the KMS Host using slmgr. That allows MS to activate the KMS host via the net and gives it the authority to activate n number of clients.
When you put your volume key into slmgr, it activates the host and downloads that info from Microsoft. It takes like 2-3 minutes to enter the key because there's all that processing.

quote:

When you start up a Enterprise version of Win7, it already has the generic KMS Client keys built in and it activates automagically through the srv in DNS

Not necessarily, we were using an Enterprise MAK until very recently. Incidentally, our KMS key is listed as being able to activate all Professional and Enterprise editions, but I don't know if that's true of all keys. You have to put in the correct client key for the edition you're running.

quote:

With the KMS service, you can only configure the port number it uses - but not much else except add other OS/editions to the list that it supports.

My understanding is that you do so by importing new keys, I'm not sure if it's possible to add new products to an existing key a la carte - I don't think it would be, because Server 2008 R2 is a different class of key from 7, but we haven't tried yet.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

mindphlux posted:

I feel really dumb posting this in this thread, but I also think I might get the most meaningful feedback from people probably a lot more experienced than myself.

I do IT work for a lot of small businesses, usually 5-20 users, usually running SBS 2003/2008. Most of the time, servers will be hosting just file shares, a database or two, web services, and exchange. Also most of the time, the servers will be in whatever office complex, with a really horribly "wired" "server" "closet" (I usually take over for someone much more inept than myself), with service either provided by a local ISP or the building's management, and so I manage the company's switch and router, modem etc.

anyways, in all my years (really only 5 or so) of doing this sort of thing, I've never had a client move offices. finally, that time has come, and I've been asked to support a company with a move.

the core, basic technical things involved with moving - updating DNS entries, changing firewall rules, spooling/reconfiguring e-mail filtering services, blah blah I think I'm pretty comfortable with - but I feel like I'm being naïve in thinking a 10 system office move will be as simple as backing up, unplugging, and labelling everything, hauling it across town, updating network configurations and letting 'er rip.

I guess what I'm looking for is SOP for larger, more professional organizations when they move house - or guidelines thereabouts. Despite being largely self taught and managing hopelessly small business setups, I like to be as professional and thorough as possible, when possible... how do you even learn how to properly do something like this without having done it under someone else's employ or fallen flat on your face already?

I'm going to be in the same boat, moving a group into another building on campus while their building undergoes renovation. Hopefully I can get the dark overlords to give me the same network in the new building, otherwise... I don't know.

mute
Jul 17, 2004

mindphlux posted:

A few notes, this is by no means comprehensive:

- Plan, plan, plan.
- Start with surveying the new office, ensuring that you have ample time to get your wiring, telco, data set up, tested and working as far ahead of the move as possible.
This, invariably, will cause the most issues you'll have.

- Planning out changes to configs, IPs, etc. (you noted this)

- Estimating/planning the actual move - As with any move, getting things decommissioned will take longer than unloading/getting them set back up. (Make sure you get it set up right, so your life will be easier when supporting the new office.)

- Also, make drat sure you can get your equipment into whatever room they're putting it all. Nothing like moving two racks and finding out that the new space they're occupying isn't big enough for both.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

marketingman posted:

:words:

bear shark posted:

:words:

Thanks. I guess I missed the KMS Host Activation part because it is just too drat simple.

My mind was expecting either some console snapin with lots of options (a la VAMT) or at the very least a command line only tool with pages and pages of switches and options - most of which are only understood by 3 people in the whole world.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ugh, can anyone tell me how I can force laptops to VPN in before they can login to the domain? I'm so confused by the idea, because how does it connect to a wireless network without a user being logged in :psyduck:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mute posted:

A few notes, this is by no means comprehensive:

- Plan, plan, plan.
- Start with surveying the new office, ensuring that you have ample time to get your wiring, telco, data set up, tested and working as far ahead of the move as possible.
This, invariably, will cause the most issues you'll have.

- Planning out changes to configs, IPs, etc. (you noted this)

- Estimating/planning the actual move - As with any move, getting things decommissioned will take longer than unloading/getting them set back up. (Make sure you get it set up right, so your life will be easier when supporting the new office.)

- Also, make drat sure you can get your equipment into whatever room they're putting it all. Nothing like moving two racks and finding out that the new space they're occupying isn't big enough for both.

Yeah, I just did a second site survey (this is a new client wanting to move in a couple months) and made note of a lot of things like the racks you mentioned that will need specific space requirements, so good call on planning and doing pre-move work ahead of time - I hadn't thought about specifically budgeting for that, but it's clear I really would need to.

I also don't even know what the typical hours-logged estimate I should give for an 5-10 user office move would even be. I initially sort of thought in my head 'oh, about 6 hours to label and take all the workstations offline, maybe another hour or so fudge time, then probably 4-5 working with telcos, and then a good other 4-5 to start everything up and make sure everythings working. So that's like 15-20 hours - is that a reasonable estimate? I don't even know what companies budget for this sort of thing, but as it's a new client I'm also not really in the position yet to just be like 'WHATS YOUR BUDGET' when they ask me for some sort of bid. I don't know, this company is just a little strange from top to bottom...

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

bear shark posted:

When you put your volume key into slmgr, it activates the host and downloads that info from Microsoft. It takes like 2-3 minutes to enter the key because there's all that processing.

Yup. But just to be clear - when you install the OS and during the installation process it asks you for the license key - use the KMS key. If you have to activate Windows 7, then you use slmgr.vbs to add the Windows 7 KMS key in there.

bear shark posted:

Not necessarily, we were using an Enterprise MAK until very recently. Incidentally, our KMS key is listed as being able to activate all Professional and Enterprise editions, but I don't know if that's true of all keys. You have to put in the correct client key for the edition you're running.

I'm not sure what you mean here; if you enter an MAK the server/workstation will attempt to contact MS directly and if it can't you'll have to call the activation line. At no point will a MAK key try to contact the KMS server. You can change a MAK key to a KMS key using slmgr.vbs if you want - but MS still consider the MAK to be "activated" on that PC and you'd need to call them and hope they take your explanation if you ever need to get those MAK activations back. And when I say change MAK into KMS, I mean slmgr.vbs will allow you to enter a new license key at any time replacing the old key.

bear shark posted:

My understanding is that you do so by importing new keys, I'm not sure if it's possible to add new products to an existing key a la carte - I don't think it would be, because Server 2008 R2 is a different class of key from 7, but we haven't tried yet.

You don't add products to existing keys - you add more keys to the KMS server. If you want to visualise it, imagine a the KMS server as a bouncer, the people in the line clients that are trying to activate and the door list is the info you've put into KMS. Every time you add a new key using slmgr.vbs, a new and extra name is appearing on the bouncers list.

The delineation as to what keys can activate what products can be found in the link I've provided with the client KMS keys.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

FISHMANPET posted:

Ugh, can anyone tell me how I can force laptops to VPN in before they can login to the domain? I'm so confused by the idea, because how does it connect to a wireless network without a user being logged in :psyduck:

Are you using MS PPTP?

If you are using MS PPTP create the VPN account locally then.. you just check off the box "dial up" or something at the login screen. You can then connect to the VPN.

If you are using a seperate client, I think it might need to support it itself.

Did a user unjoin his computer from the domain or something? Or remotely and requires his profile to be created?

Is this Windows 7, just login locally, connect VPN, then alt-ctl-delete switch user and login as the other profile

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
XP, but moving to Windows soon. The problem is that people keep getting laptops, and keep taking them places, and are too dumb to keep their roaming profiles in check (6GB!) and basically laptops are poo poo. So I'd like to force them to VPN in before they login, but I don't see how they can do that without activating a network connection.

The VPN is Cisco AnyConnect, which I have no control over, as it's the campus wide VPN. Cisco says it supports it, but the support article talks about modifying an XML file and it doesn't even say what file:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00809f0d75.shtml

E: I get it that the VPN starts up before you login, blah blah blah. But the mental hurdle I can't get over is how do you get a network connection if your network connection is based on some wireless program that's stored in your profile?

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 13, 2011

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

mindphlux posted:

Yeah, I just did a second site survey (this is a new client wanting to move in a couple months) and made note of a lot of things like the racks you mentioned that will need specific space requirements, so good call on planning and doing pre-move work ahead of time - I hadn't thought about specifically budgeting for that, but it's clear I really would need to.

I also don't even know what the typical hours-logged estimate I should give for an 5-10 user office move would even be. I initially sort of thought in my head 'oh, about 6 hours to label and take all the workstations offline, maybe another hour or so fudge time, then probably 4-5 working with telcos, and then a good other 4-5 to start everything up and make sure everythings working. So that's like 15-20 hours - is that a reasonable estimate? I don't even know what companies budget for this sort of thing, but as it's a new client I'm also not really in the position yet to just be like 'WHATS YOUR BUDGET' when they ask me for some sort of bid. I don't know, this company is just a little strange from top to bottom...

Not sure I can help with your budget but here's some stuff I learned when I had to wing it:
1) Power requirements. Are there enough jacks per workstation (+monitor(s),+1 for lamps/fans/foreman grill) in the area they are expected to go to? If not are there (ugh) power bars/ups already available? Lastly, when dealing with servers/bulk copiers/fax; do they need special plugs/voltages? Are they available in the destination space?
2) Network requirements. Are there enough wall warts/ports for all workstations in the area they are expected to go to? If not are there (ugh) hubs/routers already available? If already wired, is it Cat5 or 5e? Is the wire punchup access anywhere near the server closet at all?

Network infrastructure:
- Are you working off a static IP, and if so, are you changing equipment/IP when you move? If hosting anything and the IP changes you'll have to obviously update DNS and accept the downtime during propagation.

Telephony:
- Do your provider know you're moving? Have you set a data for when the phone numbers jumps over?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FISHMANPET posted:

XP, but moving to Windows soon. The problem is that people keep getting laptops, and keep taking them places, and are too dumb to keep their roaming profiles in check (6GB!) and basically laptops are poo poo. So I'd like to force them to VPN in before they login, but I don't see how they can do that without activating a network connection.

The VPN is Cisco AnyConnect, which I have no control over, as it's the campus wide VPN. Cisco says it supports it, but the support article talks about modifying an XML file and it doesn't even say what file:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a00809f0d75.shtml

E: I get it that the VPN starts up before you login, blah blah blah. But the mental hurdle I can't get over is how do you get a network connection if your network connection is based on some wireless program that's stored in your profile?

I've never gotten the Windows Wifi to connect before logon. I force my work at home users to plug in via ethernet, and then connect the VPN. I've seen the option in Intel Proset wifi to have it start before logon as well, but any other client, or windows, I have no clue. Too many variables really.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We've been deploying SCCM this week with the help of a really smart MS Employee that we're burning a bunch of Premier Hours on. This guy has been great, and SCCM is going to rock our face.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Guys WMI plugin for Cacti, what's good? go go go

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters
SCCM newbie here. How do you track and keep a history of what users log into which PCs and what IPs they've had? I'm in a situation where staff have moved machines, sometimes to different buildings, and the only way I'm realizing it is pinging the machine's to get the IP which our networking team thankfully setup to have building and floor specific IPs given out by DHCP.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Italy's Chicken posted:

SCCM newbie here. How do you track and keep a history of what users log into which PCs and what IPs they've had? I'm in a situation where staff have moved machines, sometimes to different buildings, and the only way I'm realizing it is pinging the machine's to get the IP which our networking team thankfully setup to have building and floor specific IPs given out by DHCP.

I'm not in the office so I can't give you a step by step, except to say there are multiple fairly straightforward ways to achieve this. My post is more of a question as to why this is important to you?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

He wants to murder a couple user for loving with his machines, and needs to let them know?

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters

marketingman posted:

I'm not in the office so I can't give you a step by step, except to say there are multiple fairly straightforward ways to achieve this. My post is more of a question as to why this is important to you?
My outfit has budget to replace computers every 3 years. With the installed size we have, this is a full-time job for a couple of people who are constantly looking for the oldest computers and replacing them while trying to keep pace with the 3 year mark. They look at a list of who we gave the computer to, where we set it up, but then find the computer hasn't been on the domain for 6 months, isn't physically where we set it up 3 years ago and the user we gave the computer to is no longer working or has moved to a different job within our outfit. This issue leads into:

evil_bunnY posted:

He wants to murder a couple user for loving with his machines, and needs to let them know?
Sometimes it's the user who moved the machine and never told anyone, sometimes it's the HelpDesk team who replaced a broken machine and never update the records. In either situation, it makes the whole 3 year replacement process much more difficult as someone now has to find lost machines.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Italy's Chicken posted:

Sometimes it's the user who moved the machine

This is my dream

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Italy's Chicken posted:

My outfit has budget to replace computers every 3 years. With the installed size we have, this is a full-time job for a couple of people who are constantly looking for the oldest computers and replacing them while trying to keep pace with the 3 year mark. In either situation, it makes the whole 3 year replacement process much more difficult as someone now has to find lost machines.

Looks like it's time for someone to invest in a good VM / thin client solution and quit replacing those things every 3 years.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

Looks like it's time for someone to invest in a good VM / thin client solution and quit replacing those things every 3 years.

This is your endpoint right here.

However, you have a better way of identifying the computers... you can have a report run every week/month/year/whatever that spits out all computers that are now older than x time. You have a lot of reliable date fields to choose from! You are definitely looking it at this the wrong way, don't try to follow arbitrary users...

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Anyone push out SP1 for Windows 7 through OS deployment yet?

Just curious if you made the image /w the OS or created SP1 as a package and installed in the task sequence.

I noticed it took about 30mins to install it manually.. will this be the case if I created it as a package then installed it? I'm too lazy to find out.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

lol internet. posted:

Just curious if you made the image /w the OS or created SP1 as a package and installed in the task sequence.

I noticed it took about 30mins to install it manually.. will this be the case if I created it as a package then installed it? I'm too lazy to find out.

Service packs take forever to install. Vista SP1 took up to an hour on some machines. It won't make much difference if you install it manually or via task sequence.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

marketingman posted:

This is your endpoint right here.

However, you have a better way of identifying the computers... you can have a report run every week/month/year/whatever that spits out all computers that are now older than x time. You have a lot of reliable date fields to choose from! You are definitely looking it at this the wrong way, don't try to follow arbitrary users...

Applications like LanSweeper or the Dude are pretty good for this. I think you can even make AD entries in the Computer object for this kind of thing and then pull it up later with WMI queries.

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002

lol internet. posted:

Haven't done it yet, but I don't see why I wouldn't slipstream it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

quackquackquack posted:

Haven't done it yet, but I don't see why I wouldn't slipstream it.

Apparently slipstreaming doesn't work that well with WIM images and is basically a crapshoot. Best bet is to find media with SP1 included. If you can find the MSDNAA/technet checksums you can :filez: the actual disk.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Can some of you make some suggestions for what sort of enterprise management software we should be looking at. I know this thread is primarily focused on SCCM but Im not entirely sure this is the exact product we need. Our environment consists of about 500 client machines. Most are Dell/Windows but we have some different types of machines out there would like to manage that include basic workgroup machines, IOS devices, a Mac client here and there. I would also love to be able to integrated management of my network devices (routers, access points, etc) if at all possible. We took at look at Kace but the entry price is pretty high and doesnt fit all our wish list items. We also looked at Systems Center and the price looks right but I am not sure how well it is going to fulfill our wish list. Anyone have any suggestions?

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002

Syano posted:

Can some of you make some suggestions for what sort of enterprise management software we should be looking at. I know this thread is primarily focused on SCCM but Im not entirely sure this is the exact product we need. Our environment consists of about 500 client machines. Most are Dell/Windows but we have some different types of machines out there would like to manage that include basic workgroup machines, IOS devices, a Mac client here and there. I would also love to be able to integrated management of my network devices (routers, access points, etc) if at all possible. We took at look at Kace but the entry price is pretty high and doesnt fit all our wish list items. We also looked at Systems Center and the price looks right but I am not sure how well it is going to fulfill our wish list. Anyone have any suggestions?

Back when we were looking at bringing our Macs into SCCM, I investigated this: http://www.quest.com/quest-management-xtensions-device-management-CM/

And by investigate, I mean got a quote and downloaded a trial that I never ended up installing.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scaramouche posted:

Not sure I can help with your budget but here's some stuff I learned when I had to wing it:
1) Power requirements. Are there enough jacks per workstation (+monitor(s),+1 for lamps/fans/foreman grill) in the area they are expected to go to? If not are there (ugh) power bars/ups already available? Lastly, when dealing with servers/bulk copiers/fax; do they need special plugs/voltages? Are they available in the destination space?
2) Network requirements. Are there enough wall warts/ports for all workstations in the area they are expected to go to? If not are there (ugh) hubs/routers already available? If already wired, is it Cat5 or 5e? Is the wire punchup access anywhere near the server closet at all?

Network infrastructure:
- Are you working off a static IP, and if so, are you changing equipment/IP when you move? If hosting anything and the IP changes you'll have to obviously update DNS and accept the downtime during propagation.

Telephony:
- Do your provider know you're moving? Have you set a data for when the phone numbers jumps over?

Power should be fine, thanks for the reminder though. I'm assuming the actual wiring in the place will be fine too, but it's being built out right now, the move is in a couple months. I'll be sure to walkthrough though.

I'm gonna betray my lack of experience, but I've honestly never moved offices or really delt much with telco installs. What is provided by most nice (like you know, 5-10 story, actual) offices as far as equipments? Obviously properly wired network jacks, and some sort of patch panel or hub in the 'network closet' right? not having a hub would be madness... and what about what the telco provides? For instance, this office has some peice of equipment that goes over my head (says 'westell 4 position circuit assignment unit' hooked into a cisco 1700 router hooked into a sonicwall tz170. The sonicwall TZ170 was documented by the last IT company, so I know that's the clients property, and I have passwords for it and everything and have set up a vpn etc. but I can't find anything on the cisco router and noone seems to know if it's theirs or not.

Is that cisco router the sort of thing that is usually leased as part of a telco contract? What about the westell box? I'm assuming that's 100% handled by the telco and I just don't have to concern myself with it - when I get to the new site the telco service manager will have already wired up whatever t-1 or crazy office network whatever and there'll just be a magical wan port of connectivity to plug into - and at the most I might have to deal with configuring the cisco for which I have no information.

we definitely have a static ip, and are hosting e-mail and vpn and stuff. configuring all that I'm 100% comfortable with - it's mainly the hazy bridge between telco and clients equipment that I am fuzzy on. anyways I have a call into cogent on monday and I guess I'll just make myself look like a newb by being like 'uhh so how does this all work'. any tips on how to look less ridiculous in doing so would be welcome. at least I have the excuse of 'hey I've only been working for these people for 2 weeks and noone knows wtf'

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 22, 2011

mute
Jul 17, 2004

mindphlux posted:

What is provided by most nice (like you know, 5-10 story, actual) offices as far as equipments? Obviously properly wired network jacks, and some sort of patch panel or hub in the 'network closet' right? not having a hub would be madness...

Do not assume you will have anything other than working lights (not even this) until you've seen things with your own eyes. And tested to make sure things work and that you don't have crazy wiring that someone decided to split each CAT5 cable run between phone and data. I sound paranoid, but this happened to me: "Oh, you wanted the jacks to actually have something punched down inside of them? It wasn't in the contract!"

quote:

and what about what the telco provides?

any tips on how to look less ridiculous in doing so would be welcome. at least I have the excuse of 'hey I've only been working for these people for 2 weeks and noone knows wtf'

Who owns what varies by contract/provider. Find the contract, if you can't, ask Cogent who owns what and who manages everything (not necessarily the same thing). Do this for the new location as well.

Advice on not appearing ridiculous: Know what you're talking about. Don't focus on the equipment at the existing office unless you own it. Don't assume anything is being done without it being in writing, and ask nitpicky questions if you're unclear about something. Do understand how data circuits/Metro Ethernet/etc work, since you will see it again everywhere. Do write down everything anyone tells you, and reference it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakis
Apr 18, 2003

Wicaeed posted:

Noob WDS Question:

Do you have to use Enterprise Win 7 licensing with WDS? Employer keeps buying OEM Dell laptops that have Windows pre-installed. Currently I am forced to install a pre-configured image I've built that contains their custom apps and some other settings. The problem right now is that it is fairly hardware dependent. Currently if the partition on the machine that needs imaging doesn't match what the imaged machine had, the imaging process fails. I really want to learn WDS/WAIK but I can't seem to find an answer to the licensing question...

I've been through that. What you need is the Volume License media for the build of 7 that ships with your OEM Computers (in our case it was Windows 7 Professional). You then have imaging rights, so you can build a custom Win7 Image with sysprep and your license media. You can then use KMS and VAMT to do the activation.