Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

zapateria posted:

We started using SCCM recently and I've found it pretty neat to work with.

For OS deployment I installed Win 7 on a PC, then ran a capture of that image (tried earlier using the .WIM image on the Win7 install DVD but that defaulted to D: as system drive and you can't change that). That's your base image. You do installation through a "task sequence", which is a set of commands, like "format this drive, apply this image to system drive, add these drivers, install these programs".

So when software in your "image" (task sequence) needs to be updated, you just update the software packages and don't touch the image.

There's a separate "folder" in the CM console for Drivers and you can just drop new drivers in there to be part of the install.

There's (in my opinion) an easier way to do a deployment with SCCM that supports multiple configurations and doesn't require a stock image.

Start a build and capture task sequence using Operating System Installation Files, modify the task sequence to add all of your software/etc then delete the capture part of the sequence.

I've got a series of scripts (if anyone wants them, I'll post them) that will prompt for Username/Department/etc and creates task sequence variables which then drive the rest of the installation.

For example, when I start the task sequence, I get prompted for Username and Department. It creates a variable to name the computer JSMITH-WS and then installs software based upon that department.

There's 1 task sequence for all of my machines, no need to gently caress around with base images and sysprep. I've even allowed end users to rebuild their own machines when they've gotten a virus and I've been out of the office.

It's an amazing product and Microsoft really hit the nail on the head with it. My only complaint is the "welcome" page when any time you start a wizard.

monkeybounce fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

We're currently trying to figure out if we want to build and capture then image, or just build each time. We don't have a lot of the same hardware (although it's all Dell Optiplex, so it's probably pretty similair) so I'm thinking it might just make more sense to do a new build each time.

That's why I'm doing it this way. Not a single piece of our hardware is standardized, so everything is a different configuration/drivers/etc.

The build each time does take marginally longer, but it's way easier in terms of managing poo poo.

skipdogg posted:

Anyone running a Zero Touch imaging setup with SCCM?

SCCM is essentially Zero Touch by its nature. You can add scripts/prompts etc to the TS, but you don't have to.

If you need absolutely no user intervention, you just advertise the task sequence to a collection and set a required flag. If the machine already has the SCCM client installed, it'll start the TS from Windows. If it doesn't, then you'll need to enable PXE booting, but I'm sure you'd have to do that with Ghost as well.

Honestly, SCCM blows Ghost out of the water.

Having never used Ghost AI packages before, I'm not sure how they work, but I'm assuming they're software/settings packaged up and pushed out? If so, package deployment on SCCM is a matter creating a package, add the installation parameters (It will do this automatically for MSIs), and then put it on a Distribution Point. Once it's there you advertise it to whatever collection you want.

When a new version of the software comes out, just update the package. Task sequences that are set to use it will get it and you can advertise the update as you need.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

gently caress we are such idiots how did we never see this. I thought I'd looked in that section already, but I forgot to actually use my eyes.

Don't worry about that. I've been using SCCM for several years now and I still go "where is that..." and then spend 20 minutes clicking through folders and subfolders only to remember that it's actually in a context menu.

I use PXE so I have an extra step for drivers. For boot required drivers, I have a package called "Boot Drivers"--primarily NIC and HDD controller drivers in both an X64 and i386 version. That makes it really easy to add/remove drivers from the boot image.

Then I have a package for each model of hardware in both 64 and 386 flavors. Like NOEL, I have WMI conditions (SELECT * from Win32_Computer System WHERE chasis LIKE %XW4400%)* that let the task sequence select what driver package to use.

As for advertising task sequences, what I do is create a container for my test machines like "Testing Win 7" and just advertise my test task sequences to those. Then I don't care about losing the advertisements/log history/etc.

As a tip that took me over a year to figure out :smith: : You can create folders under Advertisements. It's a lot easier to keep your permanent advertisements separate from your short term ones/testing ones.

*If someone could give me a cleaner way to write that, I'd love you forever)

Ninja edit: Damnit, didn't realize there was a second page.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Noel posted:

This is what I use for WMI conditions:

SELECT * FROM Win32_ComputerSystem WHERE Model LIKE "%OptiPlex 380%"

HPs seem to like to keep their model information in Chasis (or at least the XW 4400s I have) If you query Model you usually get "Hewlett-Packard Desktop" or "Compaq Laptop" Not exactly sure why, but it was one of the most frustrating things trying to figure out. On the plus side, I got a pretty good grasp on WMI thanks to it.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Noel posted:

Yes, this. Even just from a user interface point of view, AD groups are so much better to manage than SCCM collection membership rules.

Nthing this, but you don't need to create sec groups if you're anal about your AD structure. I will agree with marketingman that under no circumstances do you want to use the default collections. I've actually deleted most of them from mine.

The collections in my SCCM pretty much mirror the OUs in my AD structure.

code:
Corp
  ->Servers
    ->Office
    ->Datacenter
  ->Computers
    ->Accounting
    ->Sales
    ->Customer Support
    ->Dev
    ->IT
If I need to advertise firefox to all the machines, I can just advertise it to Computers and include sub-collections. If there's an update for Visual Studio or something, I can just advertise it to DEV. If

Each collection/sub-collection has a membership rule that uses System Container Name, so it creates the collection based on what machines are in what OU. I've got different GPOs that have to go out to different departments, so it was already set.

I've got an overloaded single image which plops the computer in the OU for the department it's being imaged for.

To go along with KenMorningStar comments on uninstalling software, you can do that with the software baseline configuration. If I move it to a different OU (sales person moves to customer service), it'll apply the baseline for CS which will remove the Sales software and add the CS software--all based on OU. It is a bit more complicated than Kase, but there's not a single toolbar on my network.