Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Hey everybody, new to the thread, but just thought I would say hi and offer my help when I can. Been working with SCCM since 2007 came out, right now I'm focusing on automating SCCM with Powershell.

Also, I'll complain that my new job is doing SCCM in the most convoluted way ever. Every single thing is distributed through task sequences, with over 5000 machines literally nothing is standardized, there is no tracking of licensing, and because it's government we don't force any changes, which means we're still deploying IE6 to machines, and are planning on fully supporting both WinXP 32bit and Windows 7 64bit for the next 2 years at least. And despite a heavy focus on security, it takes us literally 2 months to update Flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

quackquackquack posted:

Everything else you listed is hosed up, but I personally think Task Sequences are the way to go most of the time.

We're doing it because of the task sequence reporting, but DCM does that better anyway. Task Sequences work well for advanced installs but for simple installs its just extra work, not to mention not best practices.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Is there a way to put a computer in a collection as part of a task sequence in SCCM?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

This might shed some light on it:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrsdk/thread/7ec9af4d-d84f-41ef-8fe0-ecb2d158b80a

In that case especially, they could do what they wanted to do with a query instead of a direct membership, so I'm wondering what you're doing that can't be accomplished with a query.

The issue is that our AD queries are set to refresh every two hours at microsoft's suggestion, and with a reimage creating an obsolete record it takes up to 3 hours to get a computer completely rebuilt.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Been watching SCCM 2012 videos all afternoon.

I need it so bad.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

What should I be most excited about?

Maybe I can convince the lead Windows guy to install 2012 fresh when I rebuild the domain rather than trying to preserver our existing setup while I delete the domain and recreate it.

Most importantly: it's not beefed up SMS 2003, it's a newly built system (Not just layered on top of Management Console.) Also, built in Endpoint Protection management, improved Software Update process, improved DCM. Client agent settings can now be set per collection.

It's also able to do user based deployments, which I'm not that excited about, App-V works far better for that IMO.

Lots more, but those are the main things I'm excited about. It's also a ton more user friendly, which is a completely foreign concept for SCCM.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Ugh, the number of times I've deleted a folder in Software Packages instead of deleting a package...

Oh geez, the terrible memories.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Anyone want to explain to me how the SCCM database stores client information? If I delete a workstation from SCCM and then re-add it to reimage, it doesn't receive any of the old record's collection memberships, or advertisements (like is supposed to happen.) However, if I check an advertisement report, it has the history of any matching advertisements from the old record.

Basically:
Client machine receives Software A and B.
Client machine record is removed, and then re-added as a new record.
Machine is re-imaged.
Advertisement report of new client doesn't show Software A or B.
New client machine record is set to receive Software A only.
Advertisement report of new client machine shows only Software A history.
However, it shows the advertisement history of Software A from both the old and new record.<- (This is the weird part.)

I am so confused.

EDIT: I'm convinced it's a feature and not a bug. But my team isn't buying it because they have to scroll through more history.

EDIT 2: Added reimaging step for clarity.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 26, 2012

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

quackquackquack posted:

Are you doing anything to the computer in between deleting and re-adding it? Re-imaging?

If I take a machine and re-image it without deleting the computer in SCCM, I will have two computers in SCCM that are named %hostname%. However, %hostname% is not how SCCM determines the uniqueness of a computer. IIRC, it uses the GUID.

So an advertisement report will have record of both the old client (name: %hostname%, GUID 1234-etc), and the new client (name: %hostname%, GUID 5678-etc). When it looks through the database of which computers have run the advertisement, it sees GUID 1234-etc and GUID 5678-etc, displays them both, but displays them by %hostname%.

However, collection membership (depending on how you add the computer to the collection, of course) is not based on %hostname%, which is why the computer does not show up in the old collections.

I've of the opinion that a hostname should only be used on one computer. When that computer goes off to the recycling yard in the sky, the hostname is not reused. I'll even use a new hostname if a computer is getting re-imaged to go to another person.

And look into AD-based collection membership if you are not using it already. (kind of unrelated to your post, I'm just street preaching)

Yeah I should have clarified. I delete the record, create the new record, add it to the imaging collection.

I found that just adding the old record to our imaging collection created an obsolete record and added unnecessary time and issues to the rest of our software distribution (AD query collections mostly.)

So, I tried deleting the old record then just creating a new one when a computer needs to be reimaged. And sure enough, it fixes all of our issues. However, someone pointed out that the bizareness of the reporting. Right now we're using computer name in our reporting, not the SMSGUID. I figured that it was actually using the SMSGUID like you mentioned, which is why the reporting situation I mentioned is so odd. My only theory:

When I don't delete the record before a reimage, I get an obsolete client, which notifies reporting to ignore all of the history of the previous GUID.

When I delete the record, create a new one, and then reimage I get no obsolete client. And any advertisements that are linked to the new GUID that match the old GUID are combined in the new report.

But I haven't been able to find any documentation confirming or refuting this...

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

quackquackquack posted:

You're spot on about what is happening, but you're fighting "the way it should be". You can add a criteria to your collections that excludes obsolete computers if you really want them to stop showing up. But they're helpful to keep around for historical reasons.

Can you clarify "unnecessary time and issues to the rest of our software distribution (AD query collections mostly.)"? (how's that for a punctuation calamity?)

The issue was originally that our System Group Discovery was setup to occur once every 2 hours. All of our AD queries are setup to check OU's, which can't be populated through delta discovery, so in order to gather OU information we had to set Full System Group Discovery cycles to run at a shorter interval. Continuing the issues with using OUs, this also means that we can't use Delta Discovery in those collections, so we're doing full refreshes every 15 minutes. (This is kinda crucial in the case of our collections setup to set power settings. We were running into issues when a machine would go to sleep before it could receive the power settings, and never finish all of it's software distributions.)

I mention these two things because I have a feeling they may be causing database issues that may be creating the new issue.

When we re-image a machine without deleting the record beforehand now we're running into issues were neither machine record is getting marked as obsolete, and the new record isn't getting populated correctly into collections.

Also, when we use the "make an obsolete" route, we can't track the process of the imaging process in our reports. When we delete the record first we can track the imaging process in our reports, as it goes.

Sorry if I haven't answered very clearly.

Couple of questions, you said "But they're helpful to keep around for historical reasons."

What do you mean by historical reasons? How are you viewing the history of the obsolete records?

I only ask because it seems like deleting the record first is actually more efficient at viewing client history even after reimaging.

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 26, 2012

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

quackquackquack posted:

The "historical reasons" depends on what you need from reports. If software A failed to install to a computer, but once it was re-imaged, installed fine, I would like to keep the statistics. Although I admit, I don't understand this line:

quote:

However, it shows the advertisement history of Software A from both the old and new record.<- (This is the weird part.)
Are you looking at the report of the advertisement for Software A? Or at the report of advertisements for the new computer record?
If I look at the report of 'Advertisements for a Specific Machine,' (or something like that,) I can see the deployment history of Software A from the previous GUID as well as the current GUID.

Honestly, I didn't know that you could view the client history of the obsolete client (if they're the same computer name.) Where is it?

quote:

As a side note, why SCCM for power management over GP? Although I love SCCM, there were a lot of times where GP was the better tool. I never got into using SCCM for power management, so I don't know if that's the case, but I'm curious.
That's a great question. Honestly, I'm not very familiar with power management, and it's not my responsibility, so at this point I'm just trying to make it work as best as possible in SCCM.

Apologies, I'm sure this is confusing. It's late.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

LoKout posted:

I admit, this practice caused me some major headaches. Once I found out this wonder I had to touch all my existing collections. It also slows down collection refresh since you basically have to limit all collections to your healthy one. Pros and cons I guess. I only manage servers in my SCCM world, so the churn isn't very fast. Also it's a pretty small environment.

Yeah, the tough situation we're in at the moment is that we're still in the process of fully implementing of SCCM, and if we cause issues or delays to the wrong people then a ton of our plans get thrown out by higher ups. So imaging quickly is absolutely key at the moment. Honestly the whole situation is an astounding mess, we have no control over the database (SCCM is being run on a cluster), or AD, we have no pre-production environment, we're not allowed to enforce Group Policies, or enforce any software licensing. If someone requests a Developer task sequence that literally requires $20k worth of licensing, and we have proof they don't have that licensing, we are still required to install it.

My past job was so much smoother than this one, we actually had control of our environments.

Which situation is more common?

On topic question instead of ranting:
Where is everyone looking to get information from obsolete clients?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Anyone else's offices not using "Run Advertised Programs" and instead opt for Third-Party (I believe Dell) Right click tools to re-run advertisements from SCCM?

Am I alone in thinking that it's absolutely stupid to completely ignore the "Run Advertised Programs" applet that SCCM is basically based around?

The explanation is "Well we don't want users to be able to rerun advertisements." Then why not just hide the option from them in the control panel?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

My team lead yesterday: "Hey I need to uninstall the sccm administrator console from my machine. It didn't install correctly."

Okay, just uninstall then reinstall it.

I come in the next morning to find that the SCCM site has been removed from the server.

"His machine" turned out to be our main test server. Installing the console on secondary site servers isn't supported. And trying to uninstall the console uninstalled all of sccm.

It's definitely partially my fault but come on!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Is there a good walk-through online for creating and capturing an image that includes software in the capture? (Updates, Adobe Reader, and Office are my first thoughts.) It's something that my boss wants but everyone on the team insists "It's too haaaaard. :qq: Let's just ignore what the boss is asking for and do it the way we're comfortable with. " I understand there is some difficulty in getting a perfect capture, but I refuse to believe that it should be completely written off.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

quackquackquack posted:

That's what I call "thick imaging", and I recommend avoiding it. Assuming I understand what you're asking. It's actually the easiest of the types of imaging to do: create your 'master' machine, make it absolutely perfect, sysprep it and create an image.

The downsides: Like you said, it's difficult to get it "perfect". You also have to figure out drivers. Any time there's an update, you have to update the master image/machine and grab a new copy. Hope that you don't realize a fatal flaw in the master image that can't be fixed. Time to start from scratch!

What are your people currently doing? And with what tools?

Of course to create something more automated, you need the skill and knowledge of how to do it. Sounds like you already have the tools (SCCM, although your previous story has me worried). If all you want is windows updates, office and adobe reader, that's not too hard (although the windows update part is easier in MDT). Create a task sequence that installs the OS, installs office (MS has a guide), installs adobe reader as an administrative install (or install the patches one by one in the task sequence) using adobe's customization tool, then installs windows updates. Violin. If you make a mistake when creating the task sequence, it's like lego to fix, and just as lego to update. New reader patch? Add it to the admin install or add the patch to the task sequence and you're done. Office/windows updates? Never have to think about it, they're all installed automatically. Takes longer to deploy than a thick image (although you can change that by doing build+capture, but that makes the setup a but more complex)

Now, tell me that you want to get AutoCAD 2009 and Matlab automatically installed, and I'll buy you a bottle of advil from an online pharmacy. For certain packages, a bottle of vicodin.

It all boils down to this: it's a balancing act between admin time setting up the deployment system and tech/user time setting up the individual computer. Every environment is different, it's important to make a business case that it's worth spending the time to learn the deployment skills. And once you get a year or more experience deploying operating systems and software with SCCM, go make a lot of money somewhere else.

Thanks for the tips.

It basically comes down to this: Management has given us an expectation that a computer can be reimaged from nothing (or broken) to ready to go with all the software that is needed in an hour and a half. Right now we've got it setup that we can do it. But it requires us to delete and recreate the computer record in SCCM before reimaging. We can go into the specifics of it (I think I addressed it a little bit in previous posts?) but basically it's the fastest way for us to get the process done smoothly. The new issue arrives that management has also requested that onsite technicians be able to reimage machines without any help from the deployment team. The same onsite technicians who are famous for accidentally deleting nearly 3500 computers from the SCCM database, and accidentally reimaging managers machines in the middle of presentations. So we give them rights to delete and create machines in SCCM in order to meet the 1.5 hour reimaging deadline.

Seriously, it's time to start looking for another job. 5 years of SCCM done correctly, and 6 months of SCCM done incorrectly has made me hate this more than I can describe.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

quackquackquack posted:

Oh, that was you.

From what I remember of that, I still advise you figure out why you're having to delete the computer from SCCM and fix that, instead of creating workarounds.

Or get a new job.

Yeah, I'm going to start looking into it once things slow down a little bit. Right now I'm stuck going through all of our task sequences to test Win7 compatibility, creating new powershell scripts for those 300 task sequences, and creating collections and advertisements for each of those task sequences.

Gotta figure out a way to automate some of this.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Per user stuff is the reason why AppV in conjunction with SCCM is an absolute dream.

Speaking of dreams, wouldn't it be cool to have environments setup to be proactive instead of reactive? :allears:

quackquackquack posted:

Although I hear this has changed some in SCCM 2012, I early on stopped trying to have SCCM be an immediate tool.

I wish I could somehow get management to understand this.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

lol internet. posted:

Question: Do you really need to be a programmer to take advantage\learn powershell?

I've taken introduction courses in programming and I can read source code and kind of have an understand of whats going on, but aside from that, I don't know much about programming.

Just wondering if I should make the effort? I'm interested in automation and do what I can with regular batch scripting.

I am terrible at scripting and learning computer languages. I've never taken a programming class or been trained in powershell. I've taught myself over the last 6 months and can do everything I need to and more. It's a really well built platform that makes a lot of really simple sense. And the built in help is pretty close to perfect.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Does Microsoft have a definitive answer to the question: Should collections be software based or machine based?

Should a collection have an advanced query to add all machines that should get a specific piece of software. Or should each group of computers have a collection with multiple advertisements.

From what I can tell it's advanced queries vs. literally thousands of advertisements.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

lol internet. posted:

Question about MDT\SCCM Task Sequences\Images.

Is there any reason why we should use task sequences to create\capture images?

In general I just use the task sequence (blank OS install) then have each install application added to the task sequence and customize if necessary through application packages\bash scripts.

Most tutorials I find on line kind of have you do a build & capture type image through task sequence, then deploy the image with a different task sequence.

Am I missing something here? I see the blank OS + application install post imaging more beneficial then just a image.

It's faster if the software is in the actual capture, since you're (essentially) just copying over files instead of running through setup programs. However there are challenges in creating that perfect capture. The talented people I worked with did software in the image. The people now... not so much. I'd like to figure out the ins and outs of getting a perfect capture myself.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Swink posted:

Any recommendations for full disk encryption for about 50 Win7 laptops? Other than Bitlocker I mean.

Symantec Endpoint Encryption? But don't use it. Oh the horror. We've delayed deploying Windows 7 for two months because Symantec is apparently completely unable to give us a build that can be deployed successfully through SCCM. (Encryption is required by law for our laptops, and with over 2,000 laptops we can't do it by hand.)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

I had a problem with Symantec Endpoint Protection where it would install sucesfully but the package returns an exit code of 1, so SCCM thinks it failed. Could that be the case here?

Nah, they have weird code in the msi that requires a user be logged in for the program to install. It's a known issue that they keep fixing then breaking.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

What's been changed in zenworks over the past five years? I switched over to sccm and AppV and have never looked back at the unholy abomination that was zenworks back then.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

We have some machines that haven't been reimaged for four years because we don't make it mandatory. It's absolutely maddening.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Showed off Run Advertised Programs to my Supervisor and Manager today. They're amazed and confused as to why they didn't use it before. And I honestly have no answer for them.

In the six months I've been here I've taken the imaging process from taking two days to complete, to 80 minutes. It would be awesome to get it done to under an hour.

Feeling surprisingly good at my job today.

Now I get to bear the hatred of the rest of the team because I'm showing off how an SCCM environment should work.

But I do have a question:
Does anyone work with encrypted systems? Right now we're using Symantec Endpoint Encryption on our laptops, the issue arises that if we start the imaging process from within Windows the WIM file is encrypted, so when the computer restarts and tries to use the encrypted data, the imaging process fails.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

I haven't used it myself, but apparently Bitlocker works pretty well with everything.

E: I'm reinstalling SCCM from scratch on a new domain while the guy that did it last time is on vacation, let's hope I don't gently caress it up too badly.

I wish we could use Bitlocker. But we're stuck with terrible Symantec EndPoint Encryption for the foreseeable future.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

After running an OSD from "Run Advertised Programs" the advertisement status of other software advertisements isn't getting cleared out. So when we check the reports we see that program x was installed successfully, when it hasn't actually been ran at all since the reimage, is there anyway to clear the reports after a reimage?

If we PXE booted it would create a duplicate record which solves the problem but no duplicate is created when we start the reimage from within windows.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Swink posted:

I maintain my reference images in esx. Being able to use snapshots makes it invaluable. Using workstation would be no different. You'll never go back to using a physical machine.

Seriously. In my new/current job we don't use VMs at all. And we're testing software deployments. We have a lab of 60 computers to do the work of 5 VMs. It's a complete joke.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

My new Enterprise Windows Management is going to be Microsoft's Enterprise Windows Management. 500,000+ machines.

I'm terrified.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I think I found my new workstation:

Specs:

HP ProLiant BL465 G7 (4) (16 processors, 192 cores and 2048 GB memory)
Total (396) 146GB 15K SFF disks, 57 TB raw capacity

In reality, just plug-in power and 4 10g ethernet connections and you've got your cloud in a box! MMS is such a fun time.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

They're running the MMS lab VMs on it. 12,000 VMs that are all reprovisioned every hour, in less than ten minutes.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

We use it for student labs, so once they use up their quota they're SOL, but Papercut doesn't get in the way when they try and print something big. The students start out with a mindset of "this is my money to spend" which sounds like not the viewpoint you're coming from.

I don't work with it very much but from my understanding it works really well. We've put a shortcut on the desktop to check their balanc, which I think is just a link to a webpage, but the students seem to be figuring it out, (and making complaints when their $20 print jobs don't actually print)

"Oops I accidentally printed this textbook out in color and used up my entire quota. Can you refund my pages and let me keep the book I printed?"

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Serfer posted:

Ok, I've been beating myself up a little, and I'm trying to use SCCM to deploy a large piece of software, but we don't have distribution points in every office (lack of disk space at remote locations is what it boils down to). We do however have software shares in every office that contain some of the software I would like to deploy. It's become painstakingly obvious that I can't tell an SCCM program entry to run something from a UNC or drive letter because the system account can't access the share, and I can't really have it run under the user account due to UAC issues. Is there some trick to being able to run software from a share that I'm missing, or is it basically impossible, and I should break down and setup DP's in every office?
I assume you're distributing software to the sites without DPs, but the software is just generally smaller? You might think about doing a phased deployment with a maintenance window? Every night push the program to a small amount of machines.

Do you have BITS enabled?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

jlboan posted:

Yesterday I deployed some software with SCCM 2012. I used the “Applications” section instead of packages, and deployed a custom built msi file. The software installed fine on the clients and is up and running, but in SCCM it still shows all of the machines in the “In Progress” stage with “No additional information” listed in the asset details on each machine. I’ve run the summarization a few times, rebooted the clients, and used SCCM client center to force software inventories, but its still just stuck In Progress. Is this just my crappy MSI not reporting that it’s done, or is there something else to it?

Always include logging in your msi command lines, it will save you dozens of hours of heartache. I've never seen stuff get stuck in progress, so I'm inclined to say it's the msi.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, forcing a software inventory won't do much, most information is sent during hardware inventory.

Related: The technical documentation for 2012 is available for download. 2000+ pages of light reading. Also breaks down the new log files if you've been trying to find that information.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29901

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 3, 2012

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

devmd01 posted:

jesus christ i'm loving done with SMP, gently caress Symantec..

i've taken our upgrade to symantec management platform 7.1 95% of the way, someone take it the remaining 5% please

In my previous job we had to delay our Windows 7 deployment for months because Symantec literally could not figure out how to make a 64bit msi.

They are the worst tech company that I have ever dealt with.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

So a problem I'm having with SCCM deployment. I've been forced to switch to imaging computers rather than build from scratch, because of pesky Broadcom drivers. So I've got a task sequence to make the image which works just fine, except when I deploy the image it doesn't ever checkin properly with the SCCM server. SCCM detects it through AD discovery, but on the client I have to manually run one of the actions (and the only that show up are "Machine Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle" and "User Policy Retrieval & Evaluation Cycle." This creates a new entry for that machine, which I then have to approve in the ConfigMgr console.

I never had this problem when I would build machines on bare metal, but I've had it on every computer I've imaged.

Is the SCCM client built into the image, or is it part of the task sequence?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

So how should I be deploying the client? Right now I've got a build & capture task sequence that installs the client with some properties that allow the machine to install updates without being on the domain. So I'm pretty sure that's required. Then in the deploy image sequence I install it again, should I take it out of that step?

Yeah, I've seen it done both ways, but never both ways together. Have it in the captured image (minus certificates) or have it install after your image gets applied to the client machine.

Honestly the number of ways to do imaging with SCCM just seems to keep expanding, I can't keep up with which way is best. Although I do know there isn't a single right answer for every environment. I hate imaging.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Thanks for the info, 2012 seems like a completely different product from 2007

I did manage to get a 5 day voucher from our Software Assurance credits for System Center 2012 training in a couple weeks but the install starts Monday so that's no help for me right now. The sanity check on the install is much appreciated, so thanks again!

I'm using both 2007 and 2012 at the moment. If it's any consolation, once it's up and running 2012 is vastly easier to manage everything.

Oh and do yourself a favor and learn Orchestrator so you never have to work again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The switch from packages to applications in 2012 can either be absolutely amazing, or some of the most frustrating work ever. The self service portal can cause support nightmares if you haven't setup your applications perfectly.
Make sure you have your detection and app requirements set correctly.

App logic should not be difficult at all, but it seems like there is a bit of a learning curve. Most of my day is troubleshooting app models, and it really comes down to you can't cut any corners in your logic.
  • In app detection always use >= not = if you're looking for a version number.

• If you're searching the registry never use anything but the uninstall key.

• Keep in mind that x86 and x64 versions of applications exist.

• Go out of your way to make installs silent. Allowing user input during setup means you've taken possible exit codes from 3 or 4, to 10 or 20. On that note, make sure you have logging built in to everyone of your installs.

Also, whoever encounters "CI Version Info Timed Out" issues in deployment reports, we can be best buds and share horror stories.