Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

incoherent posted:

Never deploy LTSB unless you're the MSP for an airport. They're designed for Long term deployments (3-5+ years).

I haven't had any major issues with LTSB as of yet. It's my main Windows 10 Enterprise image for the entire org.

Is there any reason to stay away from it other than missing out on features?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Explorer posted:

Is it possible you are changing your password twice in one day? Some places have a minimum password age requirement to stop people from resetting them a bunch of times in a row to bypass the "not used in the last 12 passwords" requirement to go back to an old password.

Any idea why that is the default in AD? I feel like it's not a very useful strategy...

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Explorer posted:

For exactly the reason I said. To stop people from changing their passwords enough times to get around the password history requirement.
Duh... Thank you for righting my idiot brain.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

stevewm posted:

No...

SpruceWare.NET. A POS/EDI software designed for commercial lumber yards.

This has been mentioned, but it sounds like something like PaperCut will work well for you.

It has find me printing, so you could just have one virtual queue, and release it at the printer you want.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Zaepho posted:

LTSC means no Office Pro Plus support as of 1803 or something like that. So many people are licensing Office through O365 and MS doesn't want anyone on LTSC so they added this as a big fat LTSC Tax.

LTSC isn't the answer, grilling the hell out of your TAM about the issues preventing the use of native servicing and dealing with the stupid in an upgrade TS until they get things sorted out seems to be the best strategy so far.

Just to confirm, you mean LTSB right? Unless LTSC is something I haven't heard of...

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Moey posted:

Does anyone use Knox for MDM? I'm curious about it.

Other idiots at my work roll a half assed Meraki setup and abandoned it. They also now charge for it. Might as well evaluate options.

I just setup the Knox Mobile Enrollment program for our Galaxy tablets. Basically it skips the setup and forwards the device to whatever MDM you have (kind of like Apple DEP). Works pretty well.

I haven't used the full blown Knox MDM though.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Absolutely gently caress trying to do any sort of actual endpoint management using Intune. 99% of the "hey this would be neat" features involve doing it yourself in PowerShell.

They also claim that new features are going to Intune before System Center. But I would appreciate feature parity for alot more System Center features within Intune before they start working on new features again...

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

It just seems like a completely half-baked product. Their vision is that we can use AutoPilot, Azure AD Premium and Intune to have users take a new device out the box, login, and then run as a standard user but have the machine managed by Intune. But I've just had it confirmed that there's no way of deploying software that needs the installer to run as an administrator, which is what Group Policy from a decade ago could manage without difficulty. So in the best case scenario I still need to have a full AD infrastructure in place and if the endpoints are mobile I need to deploy Enterprise Windows to run DirectAccess to keep some sort of management in place when people aren't in an office.

If you pay for EM+S, and have the infrastructure to spare, i would look into System Center with Intune. It makes Intune much more usable.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Still seems like a function that was SHOVED into VLSC without grace. But I am happy none the less.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

lol internet. posted:

For sccm. I made a available install to desktos for a application.

I login to a computer and install the application via software center.

I goto another pc and it installs automatically I guess because I initiated it via software center. Is there anyway to stop this? I thought device affinity would of but it doesn't appear to.

In end up with tons of computers having the install as I'm logging into multiple computers.

This may not be the answer...

Did you deploy it to all users instead of all computers? If the deployment is all users, and you the user told it to install, it may be installing for your user wherever you go.

This is a guess...

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

Try not to.

There’s a couple decent blogs on it, but it’s one of those what do you need it to do products.

Especially since Azure AD can do alot of what MIM does, and sometimes more.

Save yourself the hassle and just get Azure AD Premium.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Couple of questions

1) School I work at has a lot of iPads and we're potentially moving to Intune for Education. Everything is done except the WiFi profile. The WiFi uses RADIUS, but I can't seem to see anywhere to enter static credentials anywhere on the portal. I've read some docs about scep and other certs but that sounds massively engineered. Before you ask whether I can just setup a separate WPA2 network because the login is static: the school filtering system uses RADIUS to authenticate and thus manage access.

2) A client has a mailbox mailbox@domain.com and alias@domain.com. They want these separated so they just set alias@domain.com on their phone. These are Office 365 accounts. My current thought is to make mailbox@domain.com a shared mailbox, and alias@domain.com their primary mailbox? Is that the right way to go about this.

If you are using static credentials, and not a certificate, or user based credentials, then why use RADIUS at all? Just have a WPA2 key that is static on all of the iPads.

If you want to use RADIUS, and have static credentials programmed on all of the devices, you are using RADIUS wrong IMHO.

EDIT: Someone pointed out to me that you might not have a choice to use RADIUS. From what I remember, you can accomplish setting this key with Intune.

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 12, 2018

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Fruit Smoothies posted:

The RADIUS does use AD user based credentials, because the majority of non-ipad devices using the WiFi will authenticate with their AD credentials. The iPads are for very young kids who just need filtered internet. We don't need to confuse them with shared ipads. We just want a way of setting the relevant AD username / password in Intune so they don't have to worry about it. Apple Server's Profile manager allows for this very scenario.

Ah. Then what you want is a Device Enrollment Manager.

This should get you started. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/device-enrollment-manager-enroll

EDIT: Hmmmm. Maybe this isn't the solution you want.

Microsoft posted:

(iOS only) If you use DEM to enroll iOS devices, you can't use the Apple Configurator, Apple Device Enrollment Program (DEP), or Apple School Manager (ASM) to enroll devices. This means that you can't put the device in supervised mode and thus won't have access to some configuration options.

That seems like a really important component to the whole thing...

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 12, 2018

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Potato Salad posted:

Has anyone looked into instructing Bitlocker not to use the opal/tcg eDrive features of an SSD?

That is: is it possible to force software encryption for Bitlocker?

I am unsure, but I am curious as to why this is needed.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Oh good...

Time to revisit my Bitlocker strategy.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

The Fool posted:

SSO was pushed quite a bit yesterday and this bullshit makes me very angry.

Adobe, the vendor that makes me the most angry about this issue isn't even on the list. If I get drunk enough tonight I might make a pr.

Well isn't this list interesting. Glad to see someone, somewhere is calling out this bs.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

wyoak posted:

I have an existing O365 setup, and I'd like to bring in a new domain that has an existing on-prem Exchange installation as a hybrid configuration. My issue is that if I add the domain to Azure AD / Office 365, any mail coming from users already on O365 tries to route internally and bounces because those users don't exist within Azure yet - is there a way to add the domain to Azure/O365 without having O365 try to route mail to it? I can't setup AAD sync without adding the domain, but I don't want to bounce mail in the window between adding the domain and getting Hybrid mode going.

You're looking for instructions like this...
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mailbox-migration/mailbox-migration

Also, to more directly answer your question, you add the domain, add the verification records to DNS, and have Azure verify it. That will not start routing email to O365 until you change the MX records.
Office 365 might complain that the MX, SRV, etc records aren't correct. But that won't stop you from using the domain to do AAD sync.

As long as you only add the TXT records for verification, you shouldn't break your email routing.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Zaepho posted:

As soon as you get AD Connect up and synced that won't be an issue as O365 will see that they exist in the On-Prem Exchange and will route them properly. There will be a short mail flow outage to get everything complete but if you get your DNS TTLs nice and short and carefully go through each step it should be pretty quick. The longest thing to deal with will be the ADConnect full sync time.

Just enabling Azure AD Connect isn't enough to get mail flowing between the environments. You also need to setup the connectors between on-prem exchange and O365. You can use the Exchange Hybrid Configuration Wizard to set that up.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/hybrid-configuration-wizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

wyoak posted:

I'm thinking add domain and immediately setup hybrid, that way email will continue to flow, then do AAD sync

Maybe add an internal relay before even adding the domain to Azure? Back to the lab I go

You can add the domain before setting up hybrid. The mail just wont flow correctly until you setup the hybrid Exchange environment.

But, it is the right thing to do it in that order. You want to have your domain setup and able to authenticate properly before you start setting up Exchange Online.